'Owt else or Any Other Business

Tripps
VIP Member

Re: 'Owt else or Any Other Business

Post by Tripps »

I've just (rather bravely I think) gone against three warnings from Facebook, before viewing a photograph . I have survived. :smile:

I was warned that -

Violent or graphic content. This photo is covered, so people can choose whether they want to see it.

This photo may contain violent or graphic content
We remove things that go against our Community Standards. This photo does not go against our standards, so you can choose to see it.
We use either technology or a review team to identify content that should be covered.•
Graphic content may include things such as animal abuse, death, wounds, someone's life being threatened or suicide and self-harm.
Graphic content isn't visible to people under 18.

Here it is. . .Good luck.
► Show Spoiler
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm old enough to know that that is people queuing to collect their coke ration at the gas works during the war.
It seems as though Facebook are using Fawlty Towers standards.... 'Don't mention the war!'.
(Or is there something even more shocking that I am too insensitive to realise?)
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 30 Nov 2023, 03:32 people queuing to collect their coke ration at the gas works
Correct, but post war. It is said to Gaythorne Steet Gasworks, Manchester and was December 1950. Never heard of it, but it seems it was near the city centre off Whitworth Street. From a facebook site "Manchester History" which is very good, and worth a look.

I guess the word 'coke' has stirred Facebook up, and doubt if many people know of the 'real' meaning of the word. I actually did what is shown in the photo -at around the same time I'd guess, but at Hollinwood Gasworks. I recall it didn't burn any where near as hot as coal.

It strikes me that no one under (say) thirty, today has ever seen a piece of coal. Hope Tizer has a specimen in his collection. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Tripps, I can put your mind at rest, I do have a piece of coal in my collection. I collected it from the site of the old coal wharf at Watchet harbour.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not only coal David. How many people would be able to identify anthracite or Phurnacite? Even spell check recoils. Pithers made a small stove for caravans and boats that would only burn anthracite peas....

David, if ever times get hard and you have to burn coke again always have a lump of cast iron or scrap in the firebed, you'll find the coke burns a lot better. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

That reminds me of this article...
`Were Steel Tools Used in the Late Bronze Age?' AIA
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A fascinating subject Peter! There's been a lot of research done on when steel was first made, first accidentally and them deliberately. For many years investigators were finding traces of steel in the ashes in medieval smith's hearths and eventually decided that small quantities were being made accidentally during normal forging operations.
It's thought that some smiths realised this was happening and deliberately created the conditions to make small quantities that were drawn out and welded on the edges of Iron blades and tools. The reason why this wasn't seen as 'a discovery' and exploited is because individual smiths wanted to keep 'the secret' to themselves and get the reputation of being 'magic' smiths and anyway they didn't really understand why it was happening. This didn't change until small cakes of steel were being made in the East and exported to the West.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I'm in mobile phone limbo.

Plusnet are ceasing their mobile business and recommended I change to EE. It all belongs to BT when you get behind the spin, and the cost and terms are similar. I bit the bullet on Friday and the new Sim card arrived. I now have it installed and a new number that of course no one knows. I have done the necessary, to port the old number across, but it won't happen until Monday as the weekend intervenes.

Very 20th century I'd say.

Fingers crossed. Just as well no one ever phones me. . . . :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I'm still on 1p Mobile and haven't paid anything for ages because they've been running down my credit which had reached about £80 before the government put a stop to the hoarding of credit. :smile:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

'with EE for my mobile and on a £5 a month deal. I don't think they do the deal now but it gives me data, text and phone minutes, can't remember what they are but I have never run out on the text or allowed minutes. I have on the data occasionally on holiday when not on WiFi, (mainly checking One Guy on my phone). :extrawink:
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Yes - that's similar - I think it's £6 pcm, for enough calls and data.
Like you I just use the data to look at OGFB after 3 am, when I can't sleep -to keep an eye on Stanley. :smile:

My weakness for buying mobile phones is well known. :smile: I hold my hands up. Like Tizer - have one on 1P but similarly the credit is evaporating and will only last a couple more months.

My other, more recent 'spare' is on Lebara and was only 26 pence per month for the first six month, but now is £4.90. Thanks Martin Lewis. Similar deal, and the number ends in 007 which amuses me. I'll probably keep it.

I just saw a lady on IACGMOOH (sorry) who says she has a thing about calculators, and owns forty three of them. Makes me look almost normal. :laugh5:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

43 calculators is a tad excessive......
I wondered why I had that funny feeling someone was looking over my shoulder!
I got a funny email about emails being deleted and simply deleted it. A random message on my phone tells me my Gmail account will be deleted today. That's all right, I have never had one.... :biggrin2:
I am still on the pay as you go I first installed when Doc gave me his daughter's old phone. It has never run out and I think it's £1 a week but am not sure.
Please.... what is IACGMOOH ?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 03 Dec 2023, 03:27 Please.... what is IACGMOOH ?

"I'm a celebrity get me out of here".

Don't tell anyone - my reputation will be shot to pieces. :laugh5:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Here's a conundrum in these days of equal pay for the same work. I wonder how they can justify this. The "contestants" in the jungle get paid different amounts varying from I think about £100K and everything else in between to £1.5 million which is what that useless lump Farage is getting! No other "celebrity" comes near. Never watched it apart from odd clips but are they not all in the same boat and jeopardy stakes? So, why the disparity in pay, obviously not a union represented job? Probably a signed contract to be abused one way or the other etc..
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

PanBiker wrote: 03 Dec 2023, 11:52 obviously not a union represented job?
PanBiker wrote: 03 Dec 2023, 11:52 that useless lump Farage
I hear that he speaks well of you too. Comrade Fred Kite played no part at all in the contract negotiations, and the phrase 'rate for the job' was not heard throughout. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Ha, you have to laugh at the things "celebrity" folk will stoop to in an effort to maintain notoriety. I don't think I am alone in not recognising the majority of "celebrities" who occupy the game show gravy train? Some I do as they have been there for years. I reckon they need to get a proper job.
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

This is what the 'useless lump' did in 2019. :laugh5:

European Elections
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

One trick pony who helped, to wreck the country, jumped on the bandwagon of Dodgy Dave's gamble. On a 37% turnout and more or less 50/50 advisory binary choice, clever move but a waste of space in my book. We are all paying the price now.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Problem is Ian that we live in a time when how well you can talk the talk governs your political status and Farage had the gift. Sunak has brought Cameron back to be superior to us all and I have little doubt that if he saw an advantage in it for the Tory Party, he'd offer Farage a job......
If anyone wants my opinion Cameron was always useless. Farage could have been a Party Leader but went Brexit happy because he thought that gave him the best career prospects. Both were wrong and have been in the cold since until now. Cameron as part of a failed government (again) and Farage as a Z-list celebrity on a show that has always baffled me. Like Ian I have never watched it and never will.
(PS. Can I remind you that I described Sunak as a Spiv when he first became Chancellor, I haven't changed my mind since.....)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 04 Dec 2023, 03:22 Like Ian I have never watched it and never will.
Oddly enough - I put aside my prejudices, opened my mind, and watched it for about half an hour last night. Nothing I saw made me want to immediately switch it off, as previous ventures have done. The game they did was childrens' party stuff, and so easy. Then they cooked some sausages. Simple stuff.

I saw a group of people, put under unusual stress for my entertainment, who did OK in the circumstances. I was particularly interested in Dettori, and failed to understand how he had got himself involved. Surely he doesn't need the money. He came to the jungle fresh from Santa Anita in California where, in a ride of total genius, he earned a fee of at least £86,000 just for the one race.

Look here Inspiral (Might have to click twice, but worth the effort)

"Don't knock it till you've tried it" is yet again the lesson to be learned. :laugh5:

PS I saw later that he had been voted out. I suspect a deal has been done. . . .

PPS My regular mobile phone number has been successfully 'ported' . Equilibrium is restored. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Glad the phone readjustment worked David. If that failed it could be such a bummer!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

`Britons should stock up on torches and candles in case of power cuts, says Dowden: Analogue advice given by PM alongside measures to better prepare UK for future pandemics, disasters and cyber-attacks' Guardian
"People should stock up on battery-powered radios and torches, as well as candles and first aid kits in order to prepare for power cuts or digital communications going down, the deputy prime minister reportedly said".
"And for citizens, there will be a unified government resilience website*, which will provide practical advice on how households can prepare as part of a campaign to raise awareness of the simple steps individuals can take to raise their resilience.”
*He's obviously not aware that OGFB already provides that service! :smile:
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I've just had my end of year summary report from Spotify. They have analysed my plays and describe me as a 'Hero' then modify it to 'Antihero' . I'll settle for that. :smile:

They say that my favourite artists are
1. Geulla Gill
2. Gillian Welch
3. Bob Dylan.

My most played track is 'Malaguena Salerosa' from this lady. I've owned the LP since the year ir came out - 1962.
There's a copy on ebay now if you're quick.
geulla gill.jpg
Let's try a link to Spotify - no guarantees. :smile: If you're not on Spotify, then join now would be my advice. Totally free version, and it's the eighth wonder of the world.

Malaguena Salerosa
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

David, there's no such thing as 'free' when it comes to web services..... :biggrin2:
THIS BBC report of an archaeological hoax got my attention.
Peter, most unusual for a government minister to even admit there could be such things as power cuts. Do you think he knows something that we plebs don't?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 06 Dec 2023, 03:23 David, there's no such thing as 'free' when it comes to web services....
I think Spotify must come very close. Not a penny changes hands and they're welcome to any data they can glean. Meanwhile - I have free access to an almost infinite amount of wonderful music, and could copy anything I wished - should I choose to do so. :smile:

I had my now routine call from India this mornng offering to review my Sky maintenance contract. I told "Jack" that the screen kept occasionally going totally red,and he is sending an engineer out tomorrow to fix it.

He put me through to his manager "Angela", and as a 'valued long standing customer', she offfered me a reduction in the annual fee which was kind.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”