Photography Nuts & Bolts

Callunna

Re: Photography Nuts & Bolts

Post by Callunna »

Big Kev wrote:
Good news. I'm looking to join the Earby Camera Club, not sure what to expect but the programme looks fairly informative.
Been meaning to go for some time - a friend goes and he says it’s good. Not sure if they’re meeting over summer though?
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Callunna wrote:
Big Kev wrote:
Good news. I'm looking to join the Earby Camera Club, not sure what to expect but the programme looks fairly informative.
Been meaning to go for some time - a friend goes and he says it’s good. Not sure if they’re meeting over summer though?
Starts up again August 28th
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Callunna wrote: Re: Canon 600D with 18-135mm lens. The Automatic setting doesn’t give me satisfactory results - the Olympus (10 years old, 4mp) beats it hands down for image quality, focus and colour. However, after spending lots of time re-learning my old art college lessons about apertures, shutter speeds etc, scouring Internet forums and buying a book dedicated to my particular model, I’m pleased to say I see light at the end of the aperture.
Hello Cally, I almost never use the Automatic setting on my 600D or the G11, nor do I usually try the scene modes. I find it best for my purposes to stay in Program mode and sometimes switch to aperture priority (Av) or shutter priority (Tv) if it's needed. But I take mostly still pics and have to admit that Program might not be the best choice if I was doing action shots. Also I try to avoid using flash unless I want it for a special effect and can get safely down to about 1/4 second handheld thanks to the anti-vibration. When trying to shoot kids at a party in the pub (should I re-phrase that?) I have to remember to switch the flash on...but usually forget and find I've got an SD card full of blurred infants.

EDIT: my brain's memory chip has just buzzed me...you might want to try a very slight lowering of exposure compensation on the 600D. Mine often gives pics that are a bit over-exposed - you can always brighten a darkish pic but the opposite is supposed to be dodgy (so they tell me). I have always had my G11 on minus 2/3.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Callunna

Post by Callunna »

Hi Tizer

I found this book very useful
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-EOS-Rebel ... 355&sr=1-3
Jeff Revell, Canon EOS Rebel T3i/600D From Snapshots to Great Shots.

He explains why Program mode has its drawbacks (on p86) and takes you through the other modes in detail. Ravell also writes the same book for other cameras such as Nikons etc. I find his style easy to follow.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Tiz, I never had any problems with the Nikon 8400 and I'm not anticipating any with the D200. If I do hit any I will start digging! I've sorted out the probs I was having with the old lens and the quality is fine now. My big problems are of course the focus in low light (eyesight... cataracts don't help) and camera shake (not as rock steady as I was 40 years ago!) Roll on the resolution of the Amazon problem and an auto lens.
Another mail from Amazon. They confirm that on 21st of July the order can be deleted by Amazon under their agreement with 3rd party sellers. They have acknowledged the fault and referred the seller to their internal compliance unit. I get the feeling I was simply unlucky and hit a bad seller. Just for reference it is 'Peggy_Tee' Avoid them at all costs!
By the way Kev, I've raised the ISO to 200 on the grounds it will help slightly with the shakes by reducing exposure.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Cally, that looks an interesting book, thanks for the link and I may well buy a copy. But what sort of problem does he identify with Program mode? I've not noticed anything other than the limitations I'd expect from something that's setting automatically. (My photos are not very good so I'd probably not notice anyway! It reminds me of a time many years ago when a visitor told me that my record player was slow. I'd not noticed - I was used to it - and the records sounded strange when I got a new one!).

Stanley, on the Amazon web site I always try to order items that state "Dispatched from and sold by Amazon.co.uk" - I've had problems with the other before now. When searching for what you want to buy you can look down the left-hand side bar for "Delivery Option" and click on "FREE Super Saver Delivery". These are very often true Amazon sales. I've never had a problem with them except once when a courier delivered to the wrong address; I rang to say my item hadn't arrived and, although the courier insisted to Amazon that they'd delivered it, Amazon sent me another one by next day delivery (the courier had left it in an open garage at a house about half mile away).
Callunna

Post by Callunna »

... what sort of problem does he identify with Program mode? I've not noticed anything other than the limitations I'd expect from something that's setting automatically...

Actually, having re-read that chapter I note that he points out not so much problems as limitations. The only thing you can alter yourself is the ISO setting which, as he explains, can work in certain circumstances - such as if you have to take a shot quickly and you don’t want to waste time adjusting settings, or if there is a lot of contrasting light & shade in the shot.

But with just a few tweaks more in either Aperture or Shutter priority mode you will get better results once you’ve mastered the technique and it becomes 2nd nature. (I’ve still to get to this stage!)

My main problem with the camera is finding a suitable lens hood (either tulip, flower or rubber-retractable) that doesn’t show as a dark circle at the widest angle (18mm). I nearly found a secondhand one in a camera shop in Accrington but discovered I couldn’t put the lens cap back on the camera. I want a hood that I can leave on all the time to protect the lens in storage as well as to shield the light. The one I'd bought shows the circle but at least I can replace the lens cap.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Callunna wrote:
My main problem with the camera is finding a suitable lens hood (either tulip, flower or rubber-retractable) that doesn’t show as a dark circle at the widest angle (18mm). I nearly found a secondhand one in a camera shop in Accrington but discovered I couldn’t put the lens cap back on the camera. I want a hood that I can leave on all the time to protect the lens in storage as well as to shield the light. The one I'd bought shows the circle but at least I can replace the lens cap.

Is this what you're after?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews ... Descending
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Callunna

Post by Callunna »

Thanks BK. I’m just a bit wary of buying blind, so to speak, after getting 2 hoods already that aren’t suitable although in their description it said they were for my particular Canon lens.

I’d like to physically try one out in a shop - might take a trip to Clitheroe soon.

I’ve added the Amazon hood to my wish list, however, in case anyone can assure me it fits OK.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Callunna wrote:Thanks BK. I’m just a bit wary of buying blind, so to speak, after getting 2 hoods already that aren’t suitable although in their description it said they were for my particular Canon lens.

I’d like to physically try one out in a shop - might take a trip to Clitheroe soon.

I’ve added the Amazon hood to my wish list, however, in case anyone can assure me it fits OK.
Have you been to Wilkinsons in Burnley? I bought my Lowepro camera bag in there, 'twas a bargain.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Callunna wrote:Actually, having re-read that chapter I note that he points out not so much problems as limitations. The only thing you can alter yourself is the ISO setting which, as he explains, can work in certain circumstances - such as if you have to take a shot quickly and you don’t want to waste time adjusting settings, or if there is a lot of contrasting light & shade in the shot. But with just a few tweaks more in either Aperture or Shutter priority mode you will get better results once you’ve mastered the technique and it becomes 2nd nature. (I’ve still to get to this stage!)
You can easily adjust exposure compensation in P mode while taking a pic - hold down the Av button with one finger and turn the dial with the other (p.103 in the manual). The exposure compensation displays in the viewfinder. I use the viewfinder all the time and only use the screen for settings, menus etc. (With my G11 I use M mode frequently to set manual exposure, especially when taking macro photos.) Aperture or Shutter priority mode might give better results but I've only seen that when the photo was difficult lighting and then I usually find M mode better so i can get whatever exposure I want rather than what the camera wants.
Callunna

Post by Callunna »

Interesting info, Tizer. I will have a go at that, although it sounds like you need to be very deft with your digits! :smile:

Here’s a link to an interesting photogrphy website I found a while ago:

http://digital-photography-school.com/h ... -lightning

They have tips on a myriad other subjects too.

I note the Canon 650D has been launched but so far the reviewers seem to be quite underwhelmed. One even calls it a retrograde step with the sensor and the changes are little more than cosmetic. If anyone finds a different review saying how brilliant it is, please don’t show me as I only just bought my 600D... :sad: (Mind you, what a bargain it was - unwanted gift still in sealed box and bags, off eBay) :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Tiz, I knew it was third party but it was a good price and an unused lens. Never had a problem before with Amazon and third party sellers. I was just unlucky and picked a bummer. I can go into full complaint mode from tomorrow and hopefully that will get rid of the order. I'm not going to do anything about getting a lens till this is done and dusted!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Callunna wrote: I note the Canon 650D has been launched but so far the reviewers seem to be quite underwhelmed. One even calls it a retrograde step with the sensor and the changes are little more than cosmetic. If anyone finds a different review saying how brilliant it is, please don’t show me as I only just bought my 600D... :sad: (Mind you, what a bargain it was - unwanted gift still in sealed box and bags, off eBay) :smile:
If you bought a 650D, next year you'd want a 700D :grin: . I always go for last year's model, if it was the "mutt's nuts" last year it will still be the "mutt's nuts" this year and probably half the price of the new model.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Callunna

Post by Callunna »

You’re right BK and at £600 I reckon I got a bargain.

There’s nothing lacking for my amateur needs, so I’m suited.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Callunna wrote:You’re right BK and at £600 I reckon I got a bargain.

There’s nothing lacking for my amateur needs, so I’m suited.
I reckon you did. I've been looking at some new kit but I'll be sticking with Olympus. Canon and Nikon may be the "benchmark" but I've used Olympus cameras and lenses since the 1980's, they've never let me down.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's the reason I went for the D200. We all get used to certain makes and I have been a Nikon man for yonks. I still have two Nikkormats. I blame it on Roger Perry who took me under his wing and infected me with the Nikon bug, Lancia Fulvia disease and shooting up to the point,
I shall devote some time to Amazon this morning after checking that nothing has been taken out of my credit card. I have better things to do of course but every now and again you have to give in to modern technology and play their game.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Amazon are doing well. Three emails from them on a Sunday morning! It turns out they have a very convoluted process for dealing with errant third party sellers. They agree with all my complaints and have given me full protection under their claims procedure but they say it may take up to two weeks to go through all their processes to remove the order and I presume, bar the seller. Doesn't help me much because I shall not order the lens elsewhere until I am perfectly sure this order is extinguished. The upside of this is that if the lens arrives I shall have got a new lens at the right price. If it doesn't I shall go elsewhere, no rush! In the meantime I shall do some research to see whether there is a more modern version of this lens in the focal lengths I am after. All a bit of a bummer and I can't help thinking that if I was a professional in a hurry this would be a big problem. I have suggested to Amazon that they review their procedures..... It seems obvious to me that this seller is no longer in business and the offer was redundant.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley, surely Amazon is the agent that is acting as a go between in this situation. I understand that they may well have procedures in place, which, by the sound of it are somewhat of a drawn out set of affairs. At the end of the day you have cancelled the order with your agent, that should be it! As a buyer you should not be disadvantaged in this situation. When you find a new reliable supplier, order your lens and get on with using it. If the original turns up it is not your problem. Amazon as agent should carry the costs of collection and disposal. I take it no monies have exchanged hands yet?
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Had my granddaughter round for a photo-shoot this morning. A 1 year old and a studio makes for an entertaining hour.

Scarlett by Olympus_Kev, on Flickr
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice pic Kev but with a subject like her how could you fail?
David, the problem is that the seller doesn't respond to any communication. The order is still on the site with the message 'dispatching soon'. My project is to get that removed.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Does the seller or Amazon have your money, if so which one?

Belting picture Kev, kids are such good subjects as at that age they come without a prima-donna attitude. Mind you, as a little princess it's only a matter of time :wink:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

The subject does give me an advantage :wink:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Callunna

Post by Callunna »

Splendid photo, BK.
:thumbsup5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ian, no money has changed hands and I have Amazon protection on that. The point is that the order is still current and could be fulfilled at any time until it is deleted from Amazon and that's the long-winded process that is going on now. It's still up there this morning....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Photography”