TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Cathy
VIP Member

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Cathy »

IMG_0450.png
We are back to Cold, Windy and Wet.
We had a Thunderstorm / Hail Storm on Thursday night, lots of damage done.
One poor lady was hit in the face with large hail, she was hurt quite badly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Cathy! You've dropped behind us again. We have nothing as bad as that here.... :good:
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday afternoon looked a bit angry and threatening at times but eventually stayed overcast but dry. At 20:00 it was overcast but bright. First thing this morning it was overcast and dry even though the forecast says it was raining. It hasn't changed since. The glass is down on 1007mb and the forecast is for a cool day with sunny intervals and perhaps a light shower occasionally. The constant west winds will be light to moderate, gusting to over 35mph at times giving us a high of 17C and a low of 9C tonight with a -3C wind chill this afternoon. The outlook is for similar weather for the next week I am afraid there is no Indian Summer in sight.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've been for my walk and a sit on the bench supervising traffic. Quite pleasant as long as you were dressed for it because the sunshine wasn't strong and the wind put a damper on the temperature. I had my A1 leather flying jacket on and so felt no pain.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's a partially overcast but calm and dry morning. The glass is up slightly on 1013mb and the forecast is for a sunny start soon descending into heavy overcast and then by early afternoon into rain for the rest of the day. The southerly winds will be light to moderate gusting to 30mph, we will have a high of 18C and a low of 13C tonight and a wind chill of up to -3C this afternoon. The outlook is for cooler mixed weather.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday afternoon the overcast eventually produced light rain starting just before 16:00. By 20:00 it was dry again but heavily overcast. First thing this morning it was still overcast and we had a very light mizzle, this has developed into light rain. The glass has plunged to 1000mb and the forecast is one word, rain. The brisk SW wind is constant and gusts to over 45mph allowing us a high of only 16C and a low tonight of 9C. The wind chill will get as high as -4C. The outlook is for similar temperatures and very mixed weather, we shall see sunny intervals but plenty of showers.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

We had heavy rain yesterday evening, that slackened off until early this morning when it bucketed it down, at the moment it is trying to sunshine, but I won’t hold my breath.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was much drier than the forecast suggested. We had light rain late in the afternoon and heavy overcast at 20:00, no late sun. First thing this morning it was breezy, broken overcast and dry but with evidence of a light shower during the night. It is still dry now but the overcast is heavier..... The glass is up on 1008mb and the forecast is for sunny intervals at first but then deteriorating to heavy overcast and showers for the rest of the day. The westerly winds will be brisk and will gust to almost 40mph like yesterday. We can expect a high of 16C, a low of 12C tonight and a wind chill of up to -4C this afternoon when the wind is at its strongest. The outlook is for similar weather for the next week, if anything it will cool slightly.
A thought for you, it won't be long before we find the heating cracking on!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday afternoon was drier than forecast but heavily overcast. By 20:00 we had had a light shower and there was no late sun. First thing this morning it was breezy and cool with a broken overcast but dry, evidence of a light shower in the night. It hasn't changed since and is still dry. The glass has fallen during the night to 996mb and the forecast is telling lies already, it says it is raining heavily now and this will last until midday when we shall have sunny intervals and dry for the rest of the day. We shall see.... The WSW wind is brisk and gusting to almost 50mph giving us a high of 17C, a low of 11C tonight and a wind chill of -4C all day. The outlook is for similar weather but even cooler. Not Indian Summer!
Later at 04:30. It has started raining.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

It’s raining hard here, and looks like it’s been like that for most of the night.
Gloria
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Storm Lilian for tomorrow
Screenshot_2024-08-22-11-29-20-810_com.facebook.katana.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday afternoon was windy but on the whole dry. At 20:00 the wind had dropped a bit and it was overcast, no late sun. This morning first thing we had a strong breeze and heavy rain and it hasn't changed since. The glass is down on 983mb and falling like a stone! We have a yellow weather warning for strong wins and heavy rain. The constant SW wind is strong and gusts to 60mph at times. We can expect a high of 16C and a low of 10C tonight with a -4C wind chill for most of the day. The outlook is for drier and slightly warmer weather once we have got over the weekend. Monday is of course the Summer Bank Holiday and has just missed being blown out!
Later at 05:30.... The rain has slackened off but the glass is still falling rapidly and the wind is rising. Be careful if you are out there....
06:45. Even down in the shelter of the town we have very violent winds, not heard anything like this for a long time. My thoughts go out to Wendy and Col.... It will be far worse up on the hill. My fingers are crossed for you.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It got a bit wild an hour ago, we had a gust of 58mph which rattled a few things but I don't think there is any damage to report. It has died down again now. I battened down the hatches last night in readiness. (I would have lowered the keel as well if we had one.)
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

We got woke up just before 6.30 to it howling and one of the dustbins trying to escape. Calmed down a bit now, just overcast and a bit blustery.
Gloria
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I need to get a new canvas top for the gazebo, the current one looks like bunting.
IMG_20240823_104612~2.jpg
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That was the same time we had the really violent gusts down here Wendy. Like Gloria I can report only blustery breeze and showers now. Commiserations on the gazebo top Kev!
Now, do you remember me forecasting an imminent return for the heating season? The heating came on this morning at very low level but still heating!
The glass is rising as quickly as it fell as the depression races away to the NE on its way to Scandinavia.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I can get a reinforced replacement for £50. I am going to clad the thin steel frame in treated timber and fit a new top, I was quietly impressed that the box section, and tubes, didn't bend.
There was another casualty, I think it's terminal :biggrin2:
IMG_20240823_143620~2.jpg
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That looks like a digital age version of the garden gnome..... :biggrin2:
Yesterday the glass dropped to below 980mbearly in the morning but rose after that equally rapidly as the depression that gave us storm Lillian raced away NE towards Scandinavia. The afternoon was a lot more calm and we had sunny spells. By 20:00 we had heavy overcast but dry and no late evening sun. This morning it is calm and we have a high, thin hazy cloud, not thick enough to hide the moon. The glass has risen as fast as it fell and is on 997mb, the forecast is for a dry day of mainly sunny spells and an occasional light shower perhaps. The outlook is for another cool day tomorrow and then warmer drier weather for the rest of the week.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

IMG_0460.png
Quite warm today and +9C above average.
Blossom is appearing everywhere. Hoping for rain.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Warmer than us Cathy, in fact we are unseasonably cold. My heating came on briefly yesterday.... (I've just checked and it has kicked in at low level this morning as well!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We have another day cold enough to trigger the heating....
Yesterday afternoon was blustery but sunny at times and on the whole, dry. At 20:00 we had heavy overcast and no late evening sun. First thing this morning we had a light breeze and broken overcast but dry despite the forecast saying it was raining! It's still the same and the heating is on low. The glass is up on 1007mb and the forecast is for sunny spells first thing but rain coming in around 10:00 which will last for the rest of the day. The constant SW wind starts moderate but becomes brisk and gusts to over 40mph giving us a high of 15C and a low tonight of 12C. There will be up to -4C wind chill this afternoon. The outlook for the rest of the week is for similar mixed weather, breezy, drier and hopefully a bit warmer!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday afternoon was a mixture of sunshine and showers but the latter won in the end and at 20:00 it was overcast and damp. It went dark early.... This morning first thing it was overcast and not raining but signs of recent significant rain. It hasn't changed since. The glass is up slightly at 1009mb and the forecast is for rain until mid-afternoon. The constant SW wind is moderate and gives us a high of 18C and a low tonight of 12C with a wind chill of -2C at most. The outlook is for brighter, dry and warmer weather than of late.
04:00 We have constant light rain.
05:00. The thermostat has stepped in and once more we have heat at a very low level.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's a sunny afternoon and just to complete my day of domesticity I vacuumed down stairs as well! :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday afternoon the sun didn't last for long, by teatime we were heavily overcast. At 20:00 it was 100% cloud cover and no late sunshine. This morning it's calm, overcast and dry. The glass is up slightly on 1011mb and the forecast is the same as yesterday, sunny intervals to start the day but rain coming in late morning for the rest of the day. The constant SSW wind will be brisk and gusts to almost 40mph giving us a high of 18C a low tonight of 14C and a -3C wind chill for much of the day. The outlook is for similar weather, perhaps slightly warmer and brighter with less rain.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've been for a walk into Town Square for one or two necessaries, then a sit on the bench supervising traffic. Glad to be back home and sat down!
The forecast rain hasn't reached us yet.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”