FORGOTTEN CORNERS

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: FORGOTTEN CORNERS

Post by Stanley »

Queuing at the gas works for coke for home heating. Unfortunately this option isn't open to us now.... A forgotten corner.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lots of forgotten corners here! Sunday School and rewards for attendance to name only two.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

A question on The Chase has just reminded me that Oldham Corporation buses used to have a small box with a slot on the platform marked "Honesty Box". There's a lot to think about there. I doubt we'll see them again. :smile:

Was it a feature of a national characteristic? My friend's German relatives were amazed that roadside veg stalls just had a box for money. An Italian lady said recently that there were no sponsored charity events there - since no one believed the money would get to the cause.

Stand by your stereotypes. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

David, I think that farm gate produce stalls still have honesty boxes, it wouldn't pay to have someone standing there waiting to take money. Long my it continue!
There is another forgotten corner about Sunday Schools. There used to be attendance monitors at some who put attendance stars in a small book each attendee had. George Forester Singleton told me in his LTP evidence that these 'star card markers' were the pupils most likely to succeed in later life......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Newtown in 1982. Geoff Riley butcher still in business and John Elmer and his dad still run the ironmonger's and chemist's shops.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The corner of Newtown and Albert Road in 1983. The thing that strikes me is how clean the streets were, largely because the tide of cast iron street furniture hadn't begun.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Kev came across me and Jack in the Town Square in about 2009 I think. Jack hadn't suffered any attacks then and I think you can see his character shining through..... A forgotten but much loved corner....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Stanley wrote: 01 Sep 2022, 04:06 Image

Lots of forgotten corners here! Sunday School and rewards for attendance to name only two.
That is a Day School. Strange number of days for a quarter - so might be half day registrations which would give about 60 days from Early Sept (most schools back today), to the Nov date so a couple of months +. ( were there Saturday Mornings at school then ?- would fit with workers hours if so) CofE schools of course nowadays part of the voluntary-aided part of the state school system, but that didnt (wholly) apply then, with the likes of 1d a day schools , many run by the C of E, others by some political parties and others independent fee-paying schools, eventually local boards of the councils in an area would take on much of the education provision ,pre and post 11 years of age.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"That is a Day School." So it was. Sorry about that.

Army recruitment in 1914 at the Alhambra theatre in Butts. Notice the item at the bottom of the play list.... 'War news'.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I was slightly uneasy with the pic of the Alhambra I posted yesterday but then accessed this one on the site which is the cinema in 1923 the morning after the fire that destroyed it, Quite obvious that the construction of the outer walls was indeed corrugated iron so I am more easy with the other pic.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm a sucker for images that illustrate early uses of the steam engine. The portable engine, one that had to be drawn by a horse from one job to another was common in the early days of agriculture. This example from Australia is of a small engine and boiler set that one horse could move being used to drive a chaff cutter. Feed for cattle was so valuable that the straw from the wheat crop used to be chopped into chaff and bagged for storage. It was then used to feed cattle. Today a small electric motor would do the job.... (If you could afford the leccy!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

This forgotten corner from 1936 came to mind when I heard of the Queen's death. This would be in early 1936 as I was born on the 14th of February. The king at that time was Edward VIII who had succeeded George V on 20 January that year. He abdicated on 11 December 1936 so I have lived during the reigns of three kings and one queen. Charles III is 73..... It's natural for me to wonder if I could outlive him as well!
In the pic I am on Grandma Challenger's lap, my mother is stood at the back and the old lady on the right is great grandma Shaw, my grandfather's mother. So 4 generations in one image.
I always feel very lucky to have this picture.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The Craven Harriers meeting at the Cross Keys at East Marton in 1932. I don't even know if the Harriers still exist...... I used to run across them regularly in the 1960s when I was picking milk up around the district. From my experience they were a snooty bunch who didn't have much time for blokes like me trying to make a living. (And essential to their way of life of course!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

The pubs a forgotten corner as well, it's been shut for quite a while now. My daughter Carla used to do table service at the restaurant when she was at college to earn a few bob. Dad's taxi service made the after work pick up run around midnight many times. :extrawink:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Now that is a surprise Ian! A good little pub like that failing..... The world is going to hell in a handcart....

David Hoyle's joiners shop is the black building, the red brick one in the background is the old ambulance garage, later used by the Council as a store and HQ for the street sweepers. This was in 2003. All gone now....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

The Royal British Legions Women's Section building was the first to go. My mum was secretary for years. All the poppies and wreaths were stored and distributed from there each year. I had the garage at the bottom of Hill Street which belonged to the Legion as well for my Honda 500 Four. It was a bugger putting it away on the slope in winter when it was icy.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I remember the building on the corner but had forgotten who had it Ian. The garage is still there and it's been refurbished. I think it goes with the bottom house in Hill Street.

The setts are original and the rest of Hill Street is a bit different as the road is concreted and not tarmac.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

There was also a shallow pit in the centre of the garage floor, wood lined and covered in boards. Just about big enough to get to the underside of a car.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

People have an aversion to false teeth but this caught my attention this morning as I wandered in the archive. There is a story connected with this sad image. Picture the scene, I am giving a WEA lecture in Barlick library and my bottom set broke in two. No hiding it and I immediately became almost unintelligible (you'd be amazed how much influence your teeth have on the way you speak....). The audience were delighted, much more interesting than what I was rabbiting on about a round of applause when I managed to finish. That's my forgotten corner for today.
(The repair cost me £25, cheap at half the price!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Soon to be a forgotten corner
Screenshot_20220913-071742_Chrome.jpg
https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/n ... ree-homes/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Originally a branch garage of Vincent Ferrand I think, Bedford agents....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

I used to take all my cars there for MOT when Rennie Ellsworth ? had it. A good man knew what he was talking about. He had a Bedford pickup crane which he took to various shows.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's right! It came into my mind yesterday when I posted about Ferrands. It was a Bedford 'O' type with a six cylinder GM petrol engine.

Like this one......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

1937 Coronation Party, Ellerbank Manufacturing Company at Wellhouse Mill. First row, bottom, left to right; David Pickup, Albert Macro (astride plank), Johnny Green, H Hargreaves. Second row. Fred Metcalfe, Luke Hartley, Ernest Walker, Parker Firth, ?, Gladstone Cairns, Neddy Anderson (butcher of Park Road) Jack Boyce, Alfred Strickland. Back row; Billy Shuttleworth, Norman Windle, Leo Stubbs, two Shuttleworths
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Big Kev wrote: 13 Sep 2022, 06:17 Soon to be a forgotten corner
Screenshot_20220913-071742_Chrome.jpg

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/n ... ree-homes/
Have the doors been refurbished at some time ? The 2009 Google Street View showed a roof with no holes in (who has been chucking bricks through Asbestos Reinforced Profiled Roofing Sheets ?) Also the right door still had the profile of the Teclamit Logo on it (any other motor garage signage inside - always of interest (and small value)

Return to “Local History Topics”