COMPUTERS, THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: COMPUTERS, THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY

Post by PanBiker »

All sorted now but quit a trail over the last few days. Sophie from Open Reach rocked up at 2pm or so for my afternoon appointment on Wednesday. She eyed the job over and declared that because my anchor point for the copper cable was over my short pitched roof (which is about 1 meter of pitch total) she would not be able to put her ladder up. She is trained for straight ladder work including any poles that need to be climbed etc.
I said why not leave that one alone and add another anchor point on the other corner which would be directly accessible from the fibre glassed flat roof of my kitchen. Agreed she said but that would need a flat roof engineer with the right kit to access the job! I did mention that my window cleaner is on and off that every fortnight without any issues and also that I have used it many times as a platform for my antenna installations. :smile:
Can't be done due to the Open Reach H&S fairies so a phone call was made to call the cavalry, she then discovered that the flat roof engineer was well outside the area so she opted for the next bit of kit which was a platform lift! In the meantime an additional van had rocked up with another of the Barlick engineers, he offered to help to progress the job faster while waiting for the artillery.

Internal and external hubs fitted and fibre cabling between the two sorted. Van number 3 then came with his platform lift to access the other corner of my bathroom (which could have easily been done from the flat roof with a short ladder (stepped or half a standard ladder). Lift engineer installed the anchor point, and dressed the fibre cable following the original route of the copper, (never got out of his box). Bottom dressing was done by the other Barlick engineer.

Sophie climbed the pole 20 meters from my house and picked up the fibre lead from the platform guy. She had to run the cable via there though down to the pole at the bottom of the street as the node for my telephone line is not on the top pole? In the meantime Barlick engineer had his rather swish fibre splicing machine out and was connecting it to the fibre from the internal hub. The outside box basically is just a box to hold the connected joints, no terminals involved or punch downs, clips or anything just the spliced cables run in through rubber glands, the box has an integral round cable tidy that can hold about a meter of optical fibre cable once its armour support has been stripped off. I had a good look a the fibre cable and it actually looks like figure 8 cable but more substantial. The two outer lines are insulated steel which gives the line its enormous strength, the fibre line itself is sandwiched between the two outer lines and is actually only about 1mm diameter plus its outer jacket.

I watched the splicing method which was all done with the same rechargeable portable machine. Both ends to be spliced are clamped into small blocks which hold the fibre secure. First step is to strip the outer jacket and trim the centre glass conductors to the correct lengths. This is done automatically when a hinged lid is closed over the top of the blocks. Each end, still in the block is then cleaned. They are then transferred to a different channel in the machine, this one heats the joint and melts the two end together. The spliced joint is then wrapped in heat shrink insulation, lid closed again an it heats again sufficiently to shrink the insulation. Pressing another button on the unit does a stress test on the spliced joint to test the integrity of the weld. The first attempt failed this and the line snapped on the stress test. Failed joint was chopped out and the procedure repeated, second attempt passed so the resultant spliced cable was the wound onto the internal reel within the Open Reach outside junction box. The internal box is and open reach powered hub which provides an RJ45 socket for access to the WAN ( Wide Area Network). It has led lights on to indicate power, network activity and WAN status. This box also transposes the fibre network back to UTP copper so you can use standard Ethernet infrastructure.

It was not possible to position the internal hub where my computer is as that is in the middle of the house downstairs. From ingress into the kitchen the line runs round behind a double solid wood cupboard and drawer unit and a full height and fully populated freezer. That is just in the kitchen, from there it comes through the wall and down under the carpet round the back fireplace and then emerges under the built in cupboards that we have in the alcove where the main machine and power is. I elected to have the WAN connection left in the clear and accessible in the kitchen. I will extend from there with a single cat5 cable and terminate that in an RJ45 socket under the computer cupboard. I have all the tooling to do that as it was part of my bread and butter when I earned my crust in network management.

Anyway all up and running at 75Mbps down and 16Mbps up. :smile: All was good until yesterday morning when it all went belly up! TLOS, orange light on router, no broadband no WiFi and no phone, (which is now on VOIP) and plugged into the router. I rang Talk Talk and after about three goes managed to get through to register the TLOS. Got another ticket for an Open Reach engineer for this morning 8am to 1pm. The morning slot came and went so I left it until about 2pm today and tried to ring to report the no show by Open Reach. Not much joy, phone lines reported as very busy so passed to support via text, first art automated to get you details then I got Fibre Commissioning section guy on. As it was TLOS he couldn't help and suggested I ring directly to techinical support, (catch 22). I tried a few times but still got the message of long waits. I decided to make brew then bite the bullet and go on hold for as long as it took.

When I went in the kitchen to make a brew I noticed the router had gone to a white LED, I tried the phone and got a dial tone. WiFi back on my phone so I logged into the router, logs say it came back on at 2.58pm. Obviously a remote network problem that did not require an engineer to visit home. I wish they could have notified me though but having said that Open Reach don't have my mobile number only the land line which of course was stuffed during the process.

Anyway, all good, all up and running. I have temporarily fitted a USB WiFi adapter to the desktop computer and am connecting via that at the moment. I will get the cat5 extension sorted tomorrow so I can re-site the router here at the computer. I can then hard wire to the computer and reconnect the Freeesat box and the power line adapters that take the broadband up into the attic for my radio station PC. All the leads for them emerge here. Phone will move back here as well.

I will strip out all my internal copper infrastructure but only back as far as the original line termination box behind the kitchen door. I can use the existing cables to pull the new cat5 WAN feed through the tight bits between the back living room and the kitchen. I will not fasten it to the skirting behind the freezer or the wood cupboard, its all out of sight and can be tidied if and when we ever move them.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Glad you're sorted Ian but that all makes me glad I declined the upgrade! I can do without all the dramas at my age.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I received an email yesterday to tell me that my fast fibre has gone live. Open Reach job signed off then. :extrawink:

Made a start on the WAN cable extension. It means a bit of reorganisation under the computer cupboard. I have discovered some stuff that I haven't used for years but kept under the premise that "it may come in useful", never has so it wont be going back under. :extrawink: I also found a long forgotten RJ45 socket with a lead that disappears into the side panel to the cupboard which gives access to upstairs. I have confirmed with our Jack that it used to be a feed up into his bedroom for his computer at the time. Redundant now so will be rewired for the WAN feed from the kitchen. As the cable at the kitchen end will just be terminated with an RJ45 plug I wanted a rubber boot for the plug so it looks tidy. I checked in my networking toolbox and I just had one left which is all I need. I like it when a plan comes together as Hannibal used to say. :smile: Time for a brew..
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

WAN extension is in but not to my normal standard. RJ45 plug at the Open Reach Hub end was no problem. I had to make a new way through from the kitchen as the original route of the copper service went round a corner under the window sill and I couldn't get the cat5 through, easier to make another hole.Cable run round under the edge of the carpet was no real problem. I punched the other end down into the socket on it's IDC connectors according to the colour crib on the connector. I had a problem though when I checked it with my network cable testing meter, it read connected but non parallel! I rechecked all the connections and then noticed that the legend on the socket was the wrong type for the T568B wiring convention that I had used on the plug end. I pulled all the wires out and had a re-jig to what I thought it could be but the IDC connectors were getting a bit loose by then, (they are actually designed to be one way trips). I abandoned that and to further the job, It fitted another RJ45 plug to the end, Tested that out and it was perfect, connected, parallel. At least that would allow me to move the router to where I wanted it. Not happy with a plug on each end, I will order a T568B socket from CPC, (now owned by Farnell) as I need some LED lamps as well. It's all working though with the router now central to the building and all the other bits and bobs plugged in. You can tell the difference in speed on the main desktop as opposed to when it was running on the WiFi adapter.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

My CPC order has been delivered this morning so I can finish the WAN extension how I want it. :smile:

The RJ45 faceplate socket cost £2.84 considerably cheaper than the £12.00 that B&Q wanted for the same thing!
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

A bit later, the socket is in and tested, all OK - 8 x 1:1 parallel, cable run clipped down. Ran the speed test and it is stable at 75Mbps down and 20Mbps up. Pretty good for a free upgrade. :smile:

This is the speed test recommended and used by Open Reach.

fast.com
Ian
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Ran the link.

Is it taking the timings from the Router or the client computer ( I connect on wi-fi normally)
Download 71 Mbps
Latency Unloaded 5 ms Loaded 60 ms
Upload Speed 16 Mbps

(Good enough -I suppose I could tweak it and get the ftp correctly into the internal box indoors)
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Just checked mine 12Mbps. On a 1000 meters of copper wire Its the best I'm going to get. My walking speed is about 1.5 miles per hour and never bothered me one bit. gerrit :biggrin2:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Catching isn't it.... I ran it and got 36 thingies. Faster than me also Ken!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

plaques wrote: 28 Sep 2022, 21:19 Just checked mine 12Mbps. On a 1000 meters of copper wire Its the best I'm going to get. My walking speed is about 1.5 miles per hour and never bothered me one bit. gerrit :biggrin2:
Clever! :laugh5:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

As we're sharing speeds
Screenshot_20220929-134002_Chrome.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Every time people mention speeds I remember dial-up...... Our world simply couldn't function on those speeds.... !
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Interesting that the supposedly rural underinvested north is marginally faster than crowded london. I suppose fewer users though capacity is capacity just add more mux processors crudely. Always found rural telephone exchanges ( mortonhampsted, otley) fascinating buildings compared to the london mega footprint two or three story structures.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS report that Elon Musk has done a U Turn and will pay the price he promised for Twitter.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Did I hear he wants to merge it with Facebook?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

He's muttering things like 'an app for everything' but I don't think anyone knows exactly what he means...
Whatever it is it will be closer to absolute world domination..... (That's the only thing that can have any attraction when you are the richest man in the world....)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I've just seen this article on the BBC site but haven't tried the new search engine...
`Ex-Google ad boss builds tracker-free search engine' LINK
and this is the web page for the new search engine....Neeva
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I got a new version of my email programme, Thunderbird, this morning. Nothing wrong with the old one but now an entirely new way of starting to write mail. My question is why? Very confusing for old buggers like me!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I got the new version of Thunderbird yesterday too. It has a few minor changes to coloured icons and an extra tool bar down the L.H. side of the main window. That was unnecessary for me (I don't use the calender etc) and so I removed it. But I start a new email as ever before and I don't see any changes to it - I just click on the write button at the top and up comes the window ready for entering text as before. I write all my emails in plain text so perhaps you are using HTML and maybe that has changed, I wouldn't know.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Mine still work like that but I used to automatically get my address list as well. Now I have to manually select the list....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Just open a new message with the Compose button then put the first couple of letters of the email address in the message's address box. That will bring up relevant addresses for you to choose the exact one.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Brilliant, I just tried it and it works. Thanks Peter, how do you know things like this?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I either find it by experimenting or I ask google.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:biggrin2: :good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Possibly a reflection on the declining importance of "Computers" in our lives that this thread hasn't had a post in 11 days :biggrin2: Now we all have computers in our pockets that make telephone calls as a sideline......

Retirement being forced on me from my creeping disability was probably a good thing.
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org

Return to “Technology & Communication”