Post by Moh »

Thank you again Stanley x x
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: MEDICAL MATTERS

Post by Stanley »

It's a pleasure Moh. I was a bit apprehensive about the operations even though everyone told me it would be OK, it's understandable, after all it's someone cutting your eye! But the anaesthetic drops are wonderful, you won't feel a thing. I suspect you'll be like me and looking forward to the second one. Have you got a date yet? By the way, I suspect that like me, they will give you long vision lens. If so the biggest bugbear is seeing things close up with the new eye. Cure is to find someone who sells El Cheapo reading glasses and get a pair that suit the eye you've had done. £2 well spent! I made enquiries before the operation so I knew where to go for them the day after.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

I have not got a date - just for the pre-op. I have about 4 pairs of glasses so maybe one of those will do.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The pre-op information has a limited shelf life Moh. Not sure how long it is but about 6 weeks? This means that if they don't do the op in that window they have to do the pre-op again which is more expense. If they get their skates on the same pre-op applies to the second eye, another saving. So expect a date shortly after the pre-op and don't be afraid of calling them and giving them a polite nudge!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

WHAT A DAY!!
I went to Burnley General at 9.30am yesterday for my pre-op assessment for my cataract removal = all was OK and the nurse mentioned they had some slots next weekend. She then mentioned the surgeon, Mrs Moran, was looking for another for her morning list. Needless to say I volunteered,, and by 11.45 I was in theatre - job done!!!1 She said it was a very hard cataract and she had not seen one quite like it. I was blind in that eye, but now I can see although it is blurred. It was a lazy eye before so I don't think it will be perfect.
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Moh wrote:WHAT A DAY!!
Sounds like good service!

Hope all is well.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Excellent Moh, all the best for a good recovery.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

That's amazing Moh. Well done you.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Moh, great news. The blurring may be cured by new glasses.... REMEMBER YOUR DROPS AND DON'T RUB IT!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Good news Moh, it can only get better. :smile:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Thankyou - no I won't forget the drops Stanley - 6 times a day this week then 4 times for the other 3 weeks. I have had the right hand lens taken out of my glasses so that I can see better through the left eye, it was hard not wearing them, but they were not right for the right eye.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's what I did Moh. Roll on the next one!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thinking about you Moh.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

My mum had her second eye done at Burnley three weeks ago, they gave her six lots of drops to be administered regularly ,at 92 I think it has been a little to much for her, and only time will show if there has been a benefit.
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

My mum reports that the regime of drops has been cut, and she is thinking of Having one of the lenses in her glasses converted to a plain one. The suggestion that she just removes it was not accepted well, she didn't want folks staring. The whole business has got her down and she wishes she hadn't done it. The doctors say her sight will improve when the sutures have dissolved, we will have to wait and see.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Colin is back home today after an op to remove a tumour from his bladder. It looks like it was caught nice and early so we are feeling very relieved after a couple of worrying weeks. Meanwhile my Mum, who has got so anxious about not being ill while I was needing to look after Col that she has made herself ill, has been phoning me twice a day to say she can't eat or sleep. This morning she couldn't breathe either and had no pulse...I did point out that she was talking to me quite easily so she must be breathing! Luckily my brother, who lives only 20 minutes away , was able to go over and deal with things. A few firm words and her breathing was sorted! Aaagh!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Good news about Colin Wendy but a worry with your mum that you could no doubt do without at the moment. Typical of some of the older generation though, good again though that your brother could step in to deal with the situation. Give mine and Sally's regards to Colin please for a speedy recovery.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Thanks Ian. I'm feeling incredibly guilty about not rushing over to Leeds to be with Mum, but Col is absolutely exhausted and feeling the after effects of the anaesthetic, so he is needing most of my attention and the animals need the rest of it.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My early post seems to have gone AWOL. Give Colin my best and ask him if I can uncross my legs now......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Glad to hear Colin's problem was found early. Make sure he eats plenty of brassica vegetables, tomatoes and fruit to keep up his antioxidant levels, Wendy! And not too much smoked/cured food - the nitrosoamines in such foods are a possible cause of bladder cancer.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Your mum was sorted so don't feel guilty Wendy, only so much you can do. She will realise where you priorities have to be at the moment. I bet your biggest problem shortly will be stopping Colin doing too much.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Mum seems to have decided that she is dying, as soon as she is left alone the panic sets in again. My brother has been with her again this morning and arranged for the doctor to meet him there. They have agreed that there is nothing physically wrong, it's all down to anxiety. I'm hoping the doc might have upped Mums anti - depressants, mobile phone contact was lost before Steve could tell me any more!
Stanley, could you keep your legs crossed till next Thursday when Col goes back to Airedale for his biopsy results?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Consider it done.... Bear in mind that they always want you to think the worst so that it's easier for them to give the news. Let's be positive and bet on benign! Thinking about your mother, isn't it funny how some old people revert to childhood and seek attention. Not her fault but incredibly wearing for you and the family. Big problem of course is that there is only one end and even the most forbearing child must support the guilt of wishing it could end, on top of the immediate stress. We are lucky if we avoid that price..... I feel for you.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Dealing with Mrs Tiz's parents has highlighted again the need for more action to make it possible for people to choose to die when they are old, infirm, losing their mental ability and life becomes no longer worth living. Both parents say they want to die, and it's not surprising when you take into account that they've both been very active, involved in lots of things like professional societies, and travelled the world. Now Mum is unable to walk and has to be winched in and out of bed, and her speech is almost impossible to understand. She now knows she'll lose her ability to swallow food and drink. Dad has lucid episodes but is mostly in a state of dementia and needs help when he wants to walk. They are both weak and fragile and have had enough of life. When they were still able to do so they supported Dignity in Dying and wrote regularly to their MP asking him to press for changes in legislation to allow assisted death. I guess it's now my turn to carry the torch so I'll be looking to see what campaigning is under way and where support needs to be given. I know it's important to be sure that there are safeguards to make sure nobody is pressured into assisted death but we shouldn't let that stop us making progress; let's get started and then sort out the problems as and when any begin to arise, otherwise we'll never get ahead.
http://www.dignityindying.org.uk/
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

What a distressing situation for all of you Tiz.
Despite the doctor upping Mum's anti-depressants yesterday my brother had to call an ambulance for her when he got over there at 7.30 this morning because she was in such a state. She has been undergoing tests all day at St James in Leeds and they eventually decided to keep her in after finding evidence of a heart "event" in a blood test despite nothing showing up on an ECG.
Had a call from Steve about 5.30pm to say he was going home for a meal and a break but that Mum was crazy with panic. She had been given a sedative which had had no effect...he said it was like dealing with a child. I'm going to take over from him tomorrow...Col can just about look after himself and the hens, hopefully I can get my neighbour to see to the ponies.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”