COMPUTERS, THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: COMPUTERS, THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 30 Oct 2022, 10:44 Nothing wrong with that as a last resort fix, similar to the band aid plaster on spectacles of times gone by.

I have also related previously the forlorn farmer who came into the shop with a box which contained the remains of his beloved Bush transistor radio that he had run over with his tractor! Case was non existent, speaker crushed, metal chassis was bent, various transistors and capacitors crushed, volume control and various other bits left in the field! He pleaded me to fix it so I said I would have a go. I rebuilt it in a shoe box, replaced all the broken bits and fitted it with a new volume control, a toggle switch for the power and a big knob on the outside for the tuning, It was a bit of a challenge to say the least. :extrawink: It went on for years after that, pressed into service on a shelf in the milking parlour, he said the cows gave better yield if you played them music. Happy farmer and customer.. :smile:
Love it :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

PanBiker wrote: 24 Oct 2022, 10:20
Stanley wrote: 24 Oct 2022, 02:50 For a long time I was trying to find a player that would take the old 5 1/4" floppies but in the end gave up and binned all the old correspondence.
Ha! You should have asked me, it's not long since I deposited a 5.25" drive at the recycling centre. Problem would not be the drive but interfacing it to a current generation computer. No doubt converters would be available from China. :extrawink:
I just happen to have a Phillips 5.25 ED16DVDR. in my store. Year 2004 vintage. Drive, No cables or drivers etc: as far as I know it just became redundant so I picked it up.
I think you would have to be very enthusiastic with time on your hands to see if it would work. But there you are you know where one is.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

plaques wrote: 30 Oct 2022, 17:41 I just happen to have a Phillips 5.25 ED16DVDR. in my store. Year 2004 vintage.
That's for burning DVD's though, the 5.25" floppy drive pre dates it by about 20 years. :smile: Floppy disks were 8" before then. :extrawink:
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

PanBiker wrote: 30 Oct 2022, 17:47 plaques wrote: ↑30 Oct 2022, 18:41
I just happen to have a Phillips 5.25 ED16DVDR. in my store. Year 2004 vintage.
That's for burning DVD's though, the 5.25" floppy drive pre dates it by about 20 years. Floppy disks were 8" before then.
I was a bit confused when Stanley mentioned 5.25 floppies. This Philips is a laser burner and reader but it may be what he is thinking about.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ian's right, the 5.25s are much older and I have an idea I have ditched them all anyway. Thanks for thinking about me though.... :biggrin2:
(love the tranny in the shoe box....)
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Time for a bit of history on storage drive development as I remember from my experiences in IT. Notwithstanding the famous picture of the 5MB hard drive that is being loaded into the cargo bay of a commercial jet aircraft, (and it just about fits). Hard drives became usable when they got the form factor down to the 8" Winchester. It then reduced to 5.25" with an AT interface that suited the very early PC and other system base architectures, small enough to fit into a desktop or tower case. A further reduction to 3.5" form factor became the norm for hard drives until the development of Solid State Drives (SSD)

Floppy Drives followed the same form factor sizes for the first floppy drives, 8", 5.25, then Sony developed the 3.5" form factor which first used a rigid plastic case for the disks. There was a rival though at the same time, Hitachi developed a 3" form factor drive which again used a rigid plastic cased disk, it had an advantage though in that the disks were double sided and could hold twice as much data that the 3.5" Sony. The main problem was the production costs, the Sony was cheaper to mass produce and in the quickly expanding PC market it won the race. Technically the Hitachi was a much better drive, considerably more robust and offered better storage options but it failed simply on cost.

The failure of the Hitachi drive was a bonus for a certain Mr Alan Sugar. who saw it as an opportunity to add to his latest venture in developing a complete office system at a budget price. This was the PCW series of machines which apart from the printer was completely built using redundant technology but sold very successfully as a complete office solution for lots of small businesses and individuals alike. The system comprised of a Grey or Green screen monitor which also contained the microprocessor, RAM, ROM and disk drives and power supplies. It came with a keyboard and a custom built (Epsom) dot matrix tractor printer. Alan Sugar bought the rights to a redundant CP/M Operating System and the microprocessor was a Z80 processor. Software supplied gave access to a version of BASIC and included the Locoscript Office Suite which gave the user access to a Word processor, Spreadsheet and Database programs. He bought the entire redundant stock of Hitachi 3" Drives which were used in the system. Later models flipped to using a 3.5" form factor drive when the 3" stocks ran out. The whole system was priced at about 2/3rds of the price of a comparable entry level PC. They came in 256 and 512MB variants. He sold hundreds of thousands of units. The early marketing ploy was a discount on the full retail price if the customer brought in a typewriter. We had dozens of them and when we asked what to do with them they said we just dump them! The deal gave you £100 discount off the retail price so you got the whole lot for £199.00

We ran all the invoicing for the TV firm I worked for instead of the previous ledger based and typewritten stuff which took the best part of a day to complete each week. I had a database with all the retail stock on including small stuff like the battery bar and lamp stocks that we carried. I had a separate database for the workshop stock of valves, transistors, IC's and passive components. It made stocktaking each year considerably easier. :extrawink:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That was my first venture into computing Ian. I bought the system at Curry's in Skipton while on my way home from Ellenroad one night..... I remember buying the 512k memory board and upgrading. I felt very avant garde!
I'd forgotten Locoscript..... It took me a while to understand the concept of saving my work to disc and many a time lost huge documents and had to write them again..... Happy days!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

My first was an Acorn Project 1 board in 1979, followed by the Sinclair ZX80 which I built as a kit. Next was another kit built Acorn Atom and then the BBC Model A which I upgraded to complete B specification with the upgrade kits you could get. I integrated that with my radio station at the time and built quite a bit of stuff that I could interface to It. RTTY (radio teletype) interface, Amtor modem, Eprom programmer, I used that to blow EPROMS for the sideways ROM sockets in the BBC machine for various programs and also for upgrading multi-mode CB radios for use on the amateur bands. All very fast moving technology at the time.
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I thought it was time to update my 'belt and braces' phone backup. The 1P mobile account is still quite healthy, but running down at £2.50 per month due to inactivity.

I found a deal from Money Saving Expert over the weekend which looked too good to ignore. It costs 24 pence per month for six months then £4.90 per month thereafter. No contract - cancel at will - for unlimited phone calls and texts, and 3GB of data. Felt a bit silly setting up a DD for 24 p. It's with Lebara but was not available on their website - only via MSE.

Well the Sim has arrived and I find the last three numbers are 007 ! That's a bonus - I'll be keeping that.

Boys and their toys. . . . :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Reading that lot, I realise once more that my decision to stick to machines with handwheels on them is good for me! :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

I had a big clear out when my disability forced me to clear out my office workshop to make room for disabled stuff. A lot of old floppes and drives went then. I don't think I miss them not alongside being able to walk anyway :biggrin2: I;m glad I'm our of having to repair computers.anymore it was getting harder and harder just on the technology front let alone my increasing incapacity. Now I watch people repair stuff on youtube. I bought my present laptop for my 60th birthday it will be 5 years old in another month or two. Other than the knackered battery its still going strong. But It tends to get turned off with the screen left open. Back in the day, I noticed old people could make a laptop last for years because it sat on a desk very much like desktop and was never closed or moved. Young people using them on laying on the floor and constantly opening and closing it and taking it everywhere could often destroy them by the first anniversary.
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I've copied a bit of an article from last Saturday's issue of The Times. It might interest Stanley and Pluggy to see a mention of Linux, in this case Suse Linux. The article was in the Business section and was primarily about the German company Suse listing on the Frankfurt stock exchange and the woman who is its CEO. It brought back memories for me of when I started with Linux some time around 2004. I started with Mandrake Linux which I recall was French. At the same time Suse Linux was available but not free and was aimed at corporate organisations. Then Ubuntu appeared, was more user friendly for people like me (and free too!).

Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I can well believe that Stephen. I am struck many a time by the way people misuse mechanical things and everyday technology. Small things like banging switches on and off instead of operating them carefully and deliberately. Look at the difference in trouble-free life between a carefully driven car and one that is abused. I once saw a driver get through three gearboxes in a fortnight and I told the management we perhaps couldn't afford to employ him. (He left of his own violation as my mate used to say....)
Peter, Nice to see that Linux is gradually gaining traction. Janet always ran Windows on her home computer even though all her work was done using very advanced Linux. I suspect that the software they used was very complicated compared to Free Ubuntu.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Linux isn't just gaining traction, it was major software on servers long before Windows appeared.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Ubuntu Server is one of the most popular in 2022, they wouldn't make Linux too complicated or no one would want to buy it :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Can anyone explain to me what is happening when I get ads on Youtube videos that offer to remove advertising. I always ignore them on the grounds there is no such thing as a free lunch, a universal rule that I have never know to fail. Am I right in assuming there is a cost or penalty?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 22 Dec 2022, 12:13 Can anyone explain to me what is happening when I get ads on Youtube videos that offer to remove advertising. I always ignore them on the grounds there is no such thing as a free lunch, a universal rule that I have never know to fail. Am I right in assuming there is a cost or penalty?
It'll involve a cost. You can subscribe to YouTube for a monthly fee which will remove any advertising.
BBC vs ITV.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I've never seen an advert on Youtube. I thought that was normal.

Perhaps it's because I have the ad-blocker on Firefox activated.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I seem to have them all the time, I do keep getting prompted to sign up to YouTube Premium too.
I've watched a few music concerts on there and they have commercial breaks in them.
20221222_131055.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I see adverts on Youtube as the price of entry to free content....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Are they not prevented by using the Adblock widget?
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Tizer wrote: 23 Dec 2022, 10:36 Are they not prevented by using the Adblock widget?
Tripps wrote: 22 Dec 2022, 12:59 I've never seen an advert on Youtube. I thought that was normal.
Perhaps it's because I have the ad-blocker on Firefox activated.
Yes- I think so - but that would involve change. :smile:

PS - I turned the ad blocker off to see what happened.
Result - nothing. Still no adverts.
I then invoked the first rule of problems, (who's problem is it?) and so I gave up. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

As is so often the case with computers the safest course could be to pursue my present policy of masterful inactivity..... (Besides, some of the adverts are quite interesting!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS BBC report of an outage of the Royal Mail app and website on Wednesday.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Tripps wrote: 23 Dec 2022, 11:10 PS - I turned the ad blocker off to see what happened. Result - nothing. Still no adverts. I then invoked the first rule of problems, (who's problem is it?) and so I gave up. :smile:
I have Adblocker switched on but it caught me out several times until I got wise to the problem. The pop-up ad software which it's meant to block is now often being used on retailers' web sites as part of the checking out process. I've learnt to switch it off temporarily but note that it's usually a problem with the `big' web sites. The small sellers have more sense than to block people trying to buy from them. Incidentally the software is also used on some gov.uk form filling sites and in other unexpected places such as insurance renewal web pages. In all these cases it isn't being used for popping up ads but as part of the form filling process. You'd think the web designers would know better. Or maybe not. :smile:

Return to “Technology & Communication”