Today I shall be Mainly...

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Stanley »

Quietly pursuing my cylinder!

Ian was looking at the flywheel and it's bearings when he came the other day and remarked that it was a thing of beauty. I agree with him of course. I have always said that an alternative way of looking at my engines is as small moving sculptures. After all, I am doing just what the artist does, chipping bits off lumps of metal and changing their shape.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

We are travelling over to Sancerre for a few days, via a couple of Loire chateaux
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lovely! I hope you have better weather than us Sue. There is no sign of any change over the next week and it ain't summer!!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall be riding in Premier Dining Class on the Fellsman and enjoying the company of my daughter Susan..... Bugger the shed!

I know I am a bit compulsive about my boots but I shall have the oldest and best cared for boots all day. It's 40 years since I bought them, £14 a pair! Good investment.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Bruff
Avid User

Post by Bruff »

They are magnificent boots. What make are they, Lobb? In Italy last year we walked past a cobblers shop and he was making boots. They looked magnificent and I wanted a pair but they were expensive, high hundreds of Euros so I didn’t. But they’d last years suitably looked after so are good economy really. I have a pair of Church’s shoes that should last a while, maybe even see me out.

Isn't there a saying that a gentleman should dress from the feet up? Can't beat good footwear.

Richard Broughton
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 31 Jul 2017, 05:40 Lovely! I hope you have better weather than us Sue. There is no sign of any change over the next week and it ain't summer!!
It's ok now but what a horrific thunderstorm from 10 last night till 10 this morning. Driving rain, lightening and thunder crashing overhead. Our hotel bathroom flooded and we lost electricity. The rest of the hotel seemed ok. They weren't surprised when we reported it. It is lovely weather now, but not sure how long for
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

They are Trickers Richard, I bought two pairs for £14 each at Eric Spencer's in Ilkley. I had just been made redundant and reckoned that I should be well-shod when walking to the Labour Exchange for the dole..... (I have a pair of Lobb's brogues.....)
We had lovely weather yesterday for our trip on the Fellsman Sue. Sunshine and light winds all the way after we reached Appleby in the morning. Today I shall be taking it easy after an exhausting day!Overslept this morning...... A bonus for Susan was that the train was hauled by the Scots Guardsman, her husband Mick's old regiment.

At Blackburn at the start of the day.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

After a very wet start yesterday turned into a beautiful day. We were talking to a lovely French lady this morning, who said we should demand a reduction. She said it was not good for tourism. But then this is a really old hotel, very basic and there isn't much choice in the region, certainly no chain hotels and nothing within our minibreak price range.

We asked her directions to the tourist information office and she said she would take us. Which she did but it hadn't opened yet so she insisted on giving us a guided tour of the town, and what it was like when she was a child. Very interesting. Our French held up very well indeed. She had been brought up in Paris, indeed was from Paris, but she used to visit her grandparents in Sancerre when she was a child. She said regional French accents were very difficult and to persevere as our French was good...nice to know!

We did a fair bit of wine tasting yesterday and a lot of walking. The buildings here are so old some indeed many dating back to the fourteen hundreds. It never ceases to amaze me how such buildings managed to survive especially with such frequent violent storms. They have a tourist map and you follow a redline on the roadside. Periodically there is a number and an information plaque, the French version is so much more interesting than the abbreviated English version. This little town perched on a hillside in very rural France has experienced some exciting and violent history.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's something that has struck me as well Sue when I have been on the Continent. So much of the old architecture survives despite the violent history. We bang on about the heritage in the UK but we didn't have such good architecture that when the war was over we rebuilt the damaged buildings exactly as they were before. Ypres and Rothenburg spring to mind. Too often we look down on people and assert that we are better than them. In this regard we can't teach them anything!
I shall be up to my usual tricks in the shed......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Back to Brittany today and it's constant 21 degrees, but at least it is better than Rochdale 13-16 degrees
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I agree, I'm getting quite depressed......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Expecting visitors to celebrate my birthday and going out for a wet and windy walk. Planning a Boulsworth walk today and a Weets walk tomorrow.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Happy Birthday Wendy. :happybd:
Ian
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY WENDY
Have a great time.
Cheers from Cathy :smile:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Hope you have had a great day Wendy
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Thank you for the birthday wishes, I had a busy morning doing last minute cleaning and food preparation while the rain lashed down. The amount of mess 2 large dogs can make in 24 hours is remarkable, how can so much hair gather on the stairs!! We didn't manage Boulsworth but had a good walk from Laneshawbridge to Wycoller and up onto the tops before heading back...about 5 or 6 miles with no rain at all. :smile:
Weets circular tomorrow I think, it promises to be a slightly better day.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Many happy returns Wendy..... I hope you get another break in the summer weather!
Shopping day today and then a bit of quiet stud threading in the shed.....

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'll be finishing my studs today. Another writing session is looming over me! I love doing the articles for the BET but it's s deadline and I don't do deadlines these days......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I shall attempt to get three loads of washing dry. I washed yesterday in the hope that the weather forecast of 5% chance of rain was correct. It was not, it rained non stop from the minute the washer finished at about 10.30 , soaking everything on the line, until about 3.00 this morning. I have wet washing hanging everywhere. I shall also try and garden as my Brussels sprouts need some attention and the grass and weeds are growing at a pace. I swear you can hear them if you listen :laugh5:

Yesterday I filled my time pickling beetroot, freezing veg and making soup for the freezer. We have also taken the opportunity to have a clear out and took a trailer full of rubbish to the tip. We got soaked emptying it but now at least we can see the results.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You haven't got the heat wave then? It's funny weather, I am back in a vest and thick shirt!
I shall be having a trial fit up of my cylinder today..... Exciting stage in the build.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

No, the heat wave is in the south of the country, the north, even as far as beyond the Loire is stuck in the same weather system as Britain. Paris yesterday was about 21 degrees and showery. We had a nice day at last, about 22-23 with a pleasant breeze. We got the lawn cut and the flower beds weeded AND the washing dry :laugh5: our elderly neighbour down the lane has been housebound after his knee replacement. He is supposed to do a short walk daily but has been unable to do so because of the weather. Yesterday he appeared by our gate looking good. He came in for a glass of wine and a chat. It was good to seee him about again. He is 87
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm beginning to think it's Brexit weather.... Nice to here about an old cock improving at that age Sue. Give him my best wishes!

Yesterday was a cooking storm on the free leccy but I got time in the shed to get forward a bit with the trial fit up of my cylinder.... I think it's sculpture!

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Yesterday was a lovely day, really pleasant warm temperature, not excessive. Today is due to be the same but warmer. Tuesday and Wednesday it's back to rain which then lowers the temperature for a couple of days. However we seem to have a dry 7 days after that, but who can tell these days.

We shall go to the local market and then I shall dig the rest of my potatoes before all signs of where they are disappear. My veggie plot will then be tidy. It is being very productive this year apart from my runner beans, although I did manage a handful for our main meal yesterday but although they are flowering well they do not seem to be setting, despite buzzing with bees
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sounds idyllic Sue! We have had a good growing season here, the mint has grown so strongly that it has fallen over!
Once the daily tasks are out of the way I shall be passing time on in the shed as usual....

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Raining heavily, garden awash, paths are streams. This has been needed, better than misty showers lasting all day. A sewing or creative day I think

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”