MEDICAL MATTERS

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: MEDICAL MATTERS

Post by Stanley »

Sorry to hear that Ian. If your feet aren't right neither are you.... That's why I pay a chiropodist...
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Margaret has enjoyed her first night back at home, pain free, good sleep and she has got up and made her own breakfast.....
It must be so good to have it all done and dusted!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

That is a good outcome for Margaret, there’s nothing like feeling normal 😊
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:biggrin2: :good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Glad that she is improving Stanley as is Sally today after a blip yesterday which actually started on Saturday after we got home from Wales.

As is the the norm, Sally popped into the front garden for no more than a couple of minutes to shove some stuff in the composting bin. On the way back inside she dead headed the rose bush outside of the front window. Coming back into the house she reported having been bitten by something, three bites actually, one on her leg, one on her arm and the last on her eyelid. She commented that she had walked most days in Wales on the coastal path through bracken, fields and dunes and not had a single bite, sods law at work. Slight irritation from the bites, nothing more, she rubbed abit of Savlon on the bites. Saturday night she spent most of the night scratching, she itched all over and on inspection in the morning had broken out in raised welts on her stomach, legs arms and both her eyes were closing due to swelling, She rang 111 for advice and also had to report her hands swelling.

Medic on the other end recommended a trip to Burnley Urgent Care Centre and booked us a slot 12-45 - 1.00pm as he thought it was better to let someone see what was going on. We were there at the right time and found that the time given was an arrival time with the monitor showing an average of 6 hours for treatment! Thankfully we only waited about 90 minutes then got to see a senior nursing practitioner. He, after doing temperature and BP etc and a confirmation from the resident consultant agreed on an allergic reaction to whatever had a go her. After confirming that her tongue and throat wasn't swelling and offering a return for free deal as an instant emergency if either did they prescribed anti-histamines. She got one dose at the hospital but as they are an over the counter medication they could not prescribe the follow up tabs on the NHS. We called at the pharmacy at Asda on the way home. Nurse told her that she should ignore the dosage instructions on the pack and take a maximum of 1 every 4 hours as required, normal dosage is 6 hourly I think. She took another early evening and then one at 1.30 am when she got up to go to the loo.

We found out on reporting this to some of our Silsden friends, Sam the doctor his wife Rachel and another friend Emma who are both nurses that bites and allergic reactions can be cumulative and generally get worse with each episode. So recommend to always keep a stock of anti-histamines.

It also applies to bee stings and reinforces our view that our Jack should see his doctor and see if he can get an EpiPen issued on prescription. He reports that he inherits a few stings regularly tending to his hives. Doctor Sam reckons that would be a good idea, better safe than sorry. His hives are a bit remote to cater for anaphylactic shock should he ever get an escalation.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sorry to hear all that Ian but glad Sally is getting back to normal. Thank God I seem to avoid these things! Once again, I am so lucky!.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

PanBiker wrote: 18 Sep 2023, 10:19 Glad that she is improving Stanley as is Sally today after a blip yesterday which actually started on Saturday after we got home from Wales.

As is the the norm, Sally popped into the front garden for no more than a couple of minutes to shove some stuff in the composting bin. On the way back inside she dead headed the rose bush outside of the front window. Coming back into the house she reported having been bitten by something, three bites actually, one on her leg, one on her arm and the last on her eyelid. She commented that she had walked most days in Wales on the coastal path through bracken, fields and dunes and not had a single bite, sods law at work. Slight irritation from the bites, nothing more, she rubbed abit of Savlon on the bites. Saturday night she spent most of the night scratching, she itched all over and on inspection in the morning had broken out in raised welts on her stomach, legs arms and both her eyes were closing due to swelling, She rang 111 for advice and also had to report her hands swelling.

Medic on the other end recommended a trip to Burnley Urgent Care Centre and booked us a slot 12-45 - 1.00pm as he thought it was better to let someone see what was going on. We were there at the right time and found that the time given was an arrival time with the monitor showing an average of 6 hours for treatment! Thankfully we only waited about 90 minutes then got to see a senior nursing practitioner. He, after doing temperature and BP etc and a confirmation from the resident consultant agreed on an allergic reaction to whatever had a go her. After confirming that her tongue and throat wasn't swelling and offering a return for free deal as an instant emergency if either did they prescribed anti-histamines. She got one dose at the hospital but as they are an over the counter medication they could not prescribe the follow up tabs on the NHS. We called at the pharmacy at Asda on the way home. Nurse told her that she should ignore the dosage instructions on the pack and take a maximum of 1 every 4 hours as required, normal dosage is 6 hourly I think. She took another early evening and then one at 1.30 am when she got up to go to the loo.

We found out on reporting this to some of our Silsden friends, Sam the doctor his wife Rachel and another friend Emma who are both nurses that bites and allergic reactions can be cumulative and generally get worse with each episode. So recommend to always keep a stock of anti-histamines.

It also applies to bee stings and reinforces our view that our Jack should see his doctor and see if he can get an EpiPen issued on prescription. He reports that he inherits a few stings regularly tending to his hives. Doctor Sam reckons that would be a good idea, better safe than sorry. His hives are a bit remote to cater for anaphylactic shock should he ever get an escalation.
Hope she is improving. I relate to this story but nowhere near as bad. I had over 30 bites on our first few days in France and reacted badly to all of them. Luckily I have a stock of antihistamines and creams and could keep them in control. Later in the holiday when others were affected, I was not so I must have built up a degree of immunity. I still got bitten but the allergic reaction was less. Keith on the other hand got bitten on his lip the day before they left. His face and lips swelled right up. Out came the antihistamines again. He needed medical treatment when he got home.
If you keep searching you will find it
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

A mention above of the Welsh coastal path reminds me that my cousin and her husband walked there early in the year and he came out in a rash over most of this body. They don't remember any insect bites but it was very itchy and still troubling him when they returned home. Advice was taken from pharmacists, the GP and then a dermatologist and various treatments tried. After 6 months it has only just calmed down and they still aren't sure of the cause and the identity of the trouble.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I always say I'm not allergic to anything but you've reminded me of a time in the late 1960s when I was driving my milk tanker very early on a warm summer morning and a wasp flew in through the open window and stung me on my right bicep. I batted it with my left hand and killed it but didn't realise that what I had done was inject everything in the wasp's 'sting circuit' into my arm. By the time I had driven the two miles into Skipton my arm had swelled up like a balloon so I stopped outside the small Skipton Hospital and went in. They immediately gave me a shot of anti-histamines and told me to go home and rest. Of course I thanked them and went out and drove to Grimsby....
I got away with it and remember the interest I caused because of the way the swelling was confined to between two lymph nodes. They reckoned that by chance the venom had been injected into my lymph system.
I've always been wary of wasps since but don't think I am particularly vulnerable to them.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Rang the surgery this morning and asked to see my doctor, (not his day off) or a nurse. I got telephone triage, sometime this afternoon scheduled with Doctor Bhatti.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Had my consultation with Dr Bhatti and he wants to leave it for a week or ten days to see if it resolves with exercise. I did mention that I have already been applying some of techniques given by my neuro-physios to no avail. Anyway he has prescribed me some heavier than Paracetamol analgesics and some contrary medication to stop the former affecting my digestion to much. If it doesn't ease with further exercise I have to report back and he will escalate as required.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I was thinking about your toe Ian. So in effect the good doctor has told you to rest it and take strong painkillers. I think you knew that already.
Fings ain't what they used to be....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Not exactly, I found out today, (from my pharmacy) what he has prescribed and the business end is an anti inflammatory which also requires the taking of the gastro tab. The idea is not really to rest but to allow pain free movement in order to free up the joint. Fine and dandy if it is inflammation, time will tell.
Ian
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Hope it works. I too take the gastro tablet for a similar reason.

My message to the gp via the NHS app messaging system worked. I have my prescription and the answer to my question.no appointment needed. Success
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Started my medication today after a bit of clarification from the pharmacy. Gastro tab first thing in the morning, 30 mins to 1 hour before food. First of the anti-inflammatory bullets (Naproxen) after food, (breakfast) then the second dose after my tea. I hope it works too Sue. Even after my surgery when I was learning to walk again, I never had pain. This is definitely something different.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Off to Burnley General again on Friday morning, I should be getting a season ticket soon :biggrin2:
They need to check the drugs are working on the macroadenoma.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

For those hypochondriacs who like to buy gadgets to see how ill they are Argos is is doing a line on Braun Pulse / Oxygen meters at £20 the normal price being round £30. Well worth the money just to read the instructions and see what could be amiss. Knowing that I suffer from some mysterious cause of anemia with low Hemoglobin levels I wasn't disappointed to find I was just a tad below the recommended minimum. Another bonus was while also suffering from arrhythmia it was entertaining to see the pulse value change with the number of beats.

One of the health gadgets that everybody should have. :laugh5:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I bought one in 2020 Ken, a useful bit of kit :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

plaques wrote: 26 Sep 2023, 18:06 For those hypochondriacs who like to buy gadgets to see how ill they are Argos is is doing a line on Braun Pulse / Oxygen meters at £20 the normal price being round £30. Well worth the money just to read the instructions and see what could be amiss. Knowing that I suffer from some mysterious cause of anemia with low Hemoglobin levels I wasn't disappointed to find I was just a tad below the recommended minimum. Another bonus was while also suffering from arrhythmia it was entertaining to see the pulse value change with the number of beats.

One of the health gadgets that everybody should have. :laugh5:
We got one years ago, not sure why. I have to say it sits in a drawer
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The only health gadget that I keep looking at is the pad that you put your bare feet on and it stimulates the muscles. Is it Revitive? However, I suspect they are over-priced at £170 a pop. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 27 Sep 2023, 02:05Is it Revitive?
Yes if you want the one that Beefy Botham promotes and its worse than that Stanley, cheapest is £199.00 and models go up to just short of £350.00. :extrawink: There are much cheaper alternatives.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I bought a tens machine, for £30, from Amazon. Four sticky pads that can be stuck to your feet :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Big Kev wrote: 27 Sep 2023, 09:02 I bought a tens machine, for £30, from Amazon. Four sticky pads that can be stuck to your feet :good:
Yes I have one from when I had a slipped disc. It was brilliant
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Sue wrote: 27 Sep 2023, 17:38
Big Kev wrote: 27 Sep 2023, 09:02 I bought a tens machine, for £30, from Amazon. Four sticky pads that can be stuck to your feet :good:
Yes I have one from when I had a slipped disc. It was brilliant
I bought it for my shoulder and arm after the car accident last year, I was very impressed with it. I have used it on my calves and noticed a difference in reduced aching.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I am not surprised Ian. I class the Revitive machine with those small reading lights that promise to make everything clearer and don't tell you the price... all the hallmarks of an expensive rip-off.
Thanks for the heads-up on the Tens machines......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”