Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Post by PanBiker »

You're right about "lockdown" Maz. Everything we have had from our government has only been suggestion and "we would like you to". This stance had led to a huge amount of folk not taking any notice, nothing has been mandatory. This in turn, no doubt has led to further spread that could have been avoided.
Late to the party in all areas in my view and no regard to the experiences of other nations who were ahead of us. We had the good the bad and the ugly to learn from and took no notice. It's actually criminal and a dereliction of duty in my book. Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind. Our government is weak and still issuing mixed messages. Every time Boris opens his mouth they have to get someone else to explain what he meant to say.
Very much like what is happening in America which from a virus point of view is sinking into the mire while waiting for the next Executive Order from their president.
Officially we have 38,000 deaths attributable to the virus, but I doubt we will ever learn the true cost in lives, especially in the care sector.
Ian
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Marilyn wrote: 29 May 2020, 08:18 My advice - don’t get too far ahead of yourselves. I wouldn’t be planning another trip into France.
You guys don’t really know what lockdown is!
And ( my view only), your track and trace is way too late and not likely to have great outcomes. Track and trace is imperative, and should not be regarded as an invasion of rights or liberties. But that will become obvious, as you still have such a long way to go to catch up. You are well behind the curve with this tactic.
We don’t want our borders open. The rest of the world is contaminated.
I don’t know how you can sit comfortably with the death rate...it is in no way acceptable. ( but I know in my heart that you are concerned about the death rate too, and you sort of know you are going to give up more liberties yet to get it under control).
Life needs to be very different for some time yet. Don’t rush to “be free”. Be cautious.
Maz, we have to. Our ferries were booked and paid for up front for the year, they are not now returning money just transferring bookings. This was our June booking that we transferred to July weeks and weeks ago. We already have a booking in October so we put it in August! As we usually space it two months apart. Believe me we jolly well do know what lockdown is. If France says we can go then it will be safe to go but we will assess it ourselves. We told our neighbours on departure it would probably be October at the earliest. Theses ferries vost big money we can’t afford to lose but are prepared to keep rebooking!do you think we would rush there after what we went through. Its not a holiday as such there will be essential maintenance especially before winter.
If you keep searching you will find it
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

For anyone who revels in data here is the latest on covid in the UK from the Office for National Statistics... LINK

Mrs Tiz's sister, niece and nephew are all expecting to be called back to work from 1st of July. Sister's husband works for a company providing maintenance of fork lift trucks for the supermarkets. He was asked to go back now but has chosen to stay off even though it means no income. He said the people he has to work among don't seem to understand social distancing and it's too dangerous.

My feeling is that it's still too early for many people to be going back to work and for lockdown to be eased. I know the argument is that prolonging lockdown means accumulating even more economic losses and national debt. But ease lockdown too much and we could slide into even worse virus problems and do even more damage to the economy that way than by prolonging lockdown.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Tizer wrote: 29 May 2020, 08:54 For anyone who revels in data here is the latest on covid in the UK from the Office for National Statistics... LINK

Mrs Tiz's sister, niece and nephew are all expecting to be called back to work from 1st of July. Sister's husband works for a company providing maintenance of fork lift trucks for the supermarkets. He was asked to go back now but has chosen to stay off even though it means no income. He said the people he has to work among don't seem to understand social distancing and it's too dangerous.

My feeling is that it's still too early for many people to be going back to work and for lockdown to be eased. I know the argument is that prolonging lockdown means accumulating even more economic losses and national debt. But ease lockdown too much and we could slide into even worse virus problems and do even more damage to the economy that way than by prolonging lockdown.
I read the statistics daily Tiz and for France, and I agree with you. Bob and I have stuck by the rules rigidly as have the majority, but I am afraid there is a minority who have had enough. Without dome easing then I am afraid people will do it anyway, just like they are doing. I really feel for my 8 year old granddaughter, the only one of the three that cannot return to school in any format. I worry she will be permanently mentally damaged by all of this .
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Don’t fret about losing Ferry money/booking Sue.
We lost a prepaid holiday and flight money too....( so did millions of people) small price to pay. ( can’t understand why you want to go back when you felt so trapped there and couldn’t wait to risk border forces ( what little there was) to get back to UK.
You might get trapped for real if you venture back.
( do you still have a cleaner? I wouldn’t be letting one in the house)
I’m not being political or scare mongering. This is about caring, even though we may never meet.

How do you think UK or France will deal with a”second wave”?
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

We have already lost two other holidays. We should be in Crete at the moment, we have lost a big family event on May 26 th. We can keep rebooking our ferry as long as want which is what we shall do. As for the ferry there still isn’t one so its all hypothetical anyway. The May 16 th ferry we were going to use is now postponed till June 16 th. We monitor it closely Maz. I feel you aren’t giving me credit for that. We have no cleaner. Not since we came home. No one has been in our house since February or us in anyone else's. That is how it will stay. I am shocked you should think other wise of me!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Good. Glad you are staying safe. I meant no offence.
I can’t believe some of the vision we see, with weather warming up over there, and lack of social distancing. I want to scream at people. ( but not you, Sue and I am sorry if I gave that impression).
We have been Covid free for weeks, yet still venture no further than a 20 min strike force on the supermarket once a week.
I would just like to see UK take things ever so carefully.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

After our big bushfire disasters over Summer, the govt launched a TV campaign, urging us to “book a holiday in Australia” to help ease the pain for local communities. So we did.
Lost it of course, through Coronavirus!
Such is life...
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Tizer wrote: 29 May 2020, 08:54 He said the people he has to work among don't seem to understand social distancing and it's too dangerous.
In our neck of the woods I see very little open abuse of the lockdown rules. On the other hand I don't go round looking for it. Mrs P had a text from up at Newbiggin saying her son who drives the big tractors for the council couldn't do his normal beach clean up at Blyth yesterday because of the crowds of people. Normally the few who are on it give him the thumbs up for clearing the rubbish away.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

We don’t even shop Marilyn, we have all deliveries or click and collect even if they are two weeks apart . Our walks may be 5 miles long but we are on the edge of the moors and ancient footpaths criss cross across it. It is easy to walk 5 miles but still be no more than half mile from home as the crow flies. Today we have only seen serious walkers, because we went early. Its going to be too hot to walk later.

We have worked out that if the ferry company did nor give us the money back or transfer the booking then whilst we were stuck in France we would have lost over £2000 on the ferries cancelled whilst we are there. Health is more important than money so if we lost it thats ok, but we haven’t . We can’t use it for ferries next year as they are not taking bookings for next year at the moment. So we transferred to this year in the only month we have left with no booking in it. As the ferry may yet go bust we could still lose all our money.

Its all a very difficult balancing act, and like when we left France we are making judgements at crucial times, all the time. We don’t have the option to not go back. We have to go back sometime, we have a property to maintain, its value being at least the same as our home here. We don’t go on holiday we simply transfer our living.
Last edited by Sue on 29 May 2020, 12:24, edited 1 time in total.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

This mornings shopping at Sainburys, 7 50 am so it was going to be quiet. Pensioners queuing for their 8.00 am spot. Vast majority with masks, gloves. just there to get the job done and get home.

P5290438.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Our shops have been like that. Spooky isn’t it?
( a whole new world...)
We have had no visitors for 10 weeks. We have not visited anyone for 10 weeks. The only chat we have had is a distant wave to neighbours on our walks.
Texts from step-kids...and I had a FaceTime call from son on Mother’s Day.
But we have beat the virus here I think...
( but I wouldn’t catch a train on the London Underground for quids)
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I wouldn’t catch public transport anywhere at the moment. Some of the ferries that are running on short crossings let people stay in their own cars like the tunnel. The ferry we were going on had very strict segregation rules. All the 9 hour trip in your own cabin and you had to take your own food and drinks. Everyone had to have a cabin so that reduced the number of passengers. Anyway, it never happened and still hasn’t. We feel that they will only run when it is safe to do so, but we will still make our own decision. In France new cases and deaths are now very low indeed.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

A nice little article here about non payment of refunds for ferries etc

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French- ... er-refunds
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Sue wrote: 29 May 2020, 09:12
I read the statistics daily Tiz and for France, and I agree with you. Bob and I have stuck by the rules rigidly as have the majority, but I am afraid there is a minority who have had enough. Without dome easing then I am afraid people will do it anyway, just like they are doing. I really feel for my 8 year old granddaughter, the only one of the three that cannot return to school in any format. I worry she will be permanently mentally damaged by all of this .
tell her not to worry, Mum was 7 and was in fever hospital with Scarlet Fever for a number of weeks, I dont think it did her any harm. Are the Guides/Brownies doing any On-line activities/ suggestions to earn badges with ? I always was sick, did loads of reading (we didnt have 24/7 telly then) Enid Blyton might be criticised but I like reading (they must have been my cousin's) her schooldays books (and a couple of other writers ones), girls boarding schools, odd maybe as I went to the Boys ex-grammer locally but I found them fascinating. Plus plenty of TV and sports comics, colured encyclopedias and the like.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Did I read that UK has only now closed pubs?
Ours have been closed for weeks and weeks. ( all pubs, clubs, cafes, restaurants). We are just starting to reopen some venues now with strict regulations...
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Marilyn wrote: 29 May 2020, 21:47 Did I read that UK has only now closed pubs?
No - here's what I wrote at the time. . . .

Mon 16 March 20 - and, in advice for everyone - even if they are not displaying symptoms - the Prime Minister added: "Now is the time for everyone to stop non-essential contact and to stop all non-essential travel." Says not to go to pubs clubs and restaurants. [/i

Then they were formally closed after business on Friday 20th March - giving everyone time for one last party.

The full lockdown started on March 23rd.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Tripps wrote: 29 May 2020, 22:05 The full lockdown started on March 23rd.
Except we have never had a "full lockdown" only suggested rules to adhere to, which many have ignored. A full lockdown in my book would be, no one on the streets unless for a very good reason, such as a trip to the local shops and stores and a strict curfew. Mandatory not just a recommendation on a wing and a prayer that all will play ball which clearly has'nt worked.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I understand Sue and Bob having to manage their French assets and sympathise.
As for the rest, I am strictly distancing and will do until there is a trustworthy vaccine. This extends to hospital and doctors as well. I expect it to be necessary for two years at least. I'll be very grateful if I live that long!
My mental and physical health is fine and I am enjoying life. I recommend you all do the same.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Whyperion wrote: 29 May 2020, 21:03
Sue wrote: 29 May 2020, 09:12
tell her not to worry, Mum was 7 and was in fever hospital with Scarlet Fever for a number of weeks, I dont think it did her any harm. Are the Guides/Brownies doing any On-line activities/ suggestions to earn badges with ? I always was sick, did loads of reading (we didnt have 24/7 telly then) Enid Blyton might be criticised but I like reading (they must have been my cousin's) her schooldays books (and a couple of other writers ones), girls boarding schools, odd maybe as I went to the Boys ex-grammer locally but I found them fascinating. Plus plenty of TV and sports comics, colured encyclopedias and the like.
Oh she has worked through every possible badge, and reads avidlyShe has the best parents possible for involving her in things. She has camped over night in the back garden with her Dad on several occasions, she is diligent doing her school work, bakes, does craft, goes for bike rides, long walks with her Mum etc. The stimulus is there, but she is a child who revels in company and there is no doubt she is sad, very sad indeed
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Stanley wrote: 30 May 2020, 01:50 As for the rest, I am strictly distancing and will do until there is a trustworthy vaccine. This extends to hospital and doctors as well. I expect it to be necessary for two years at least. I'll be very grateful if I live that long!
Hopefully you mean if you escape the clutches of the virus otherwise its nine score years +.
I see its feeding time for the lions. Even some of the listed vulnerable are back on the menu. The measure is not how many we can lose to the virus, the real issue is as long as the NHS doesn't get indigestion and the years of cutbacks start to show up again its OK. Money, money, money, Forget the science its now all political decisions. Then we have this nonsense about supporting Hong Kong. Forget that we are cutting back on immigration the doors are open to those who registered for this contingency. Three Million is being banded about. No mention of Covid-19 control or isolation.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I know you worry about the little one Sue. Children have their own mud-map of the world and there is no explaining it.
I was put in a Children’s Home aged 5...everything swept away.
She will work her way back, when she can comprehend that all the roots and things she can rely on in life are still there ( mum and dad, home, grandparents, eventually school and friends). It is all still there. As you know.
She will be fine. ( remember that children think they are the centre of the universe, and at some point...gently or with a great big bump) they have to realise they are not.
She has had a big bump.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Marilyn wrote: 29 May 2020, 21:47 Did I read that UK has only now closed pubs?
Ours have been closed for weeks and weeks. ( all pubs, clubs, cafes, restaurants). We are just starting to reopen some venues now with strict regulations...
I don’t know where you are reading these things Maz. Nearly all of the Uk is abiding by lockdown, pubs except a very very small minority have been shut since the beginning and even those shut after a couple of days.

Thanks all for the reassurances for Briony. There was a little laugh yesterday. She ran a craft class with Mum, Julia as her pupil. It was constructed properly, instructed well, timed and successful. Julia made a mat in the shape of a pig. It was very impressive.

Thanks for understanding Stanley, yes it is an asset and our long term retirement fund sitting over there. We have spent a fortune renovating it with the intentions of getting it back and more in a few years to support us here in our golden years :laugh5:
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

We have had a big hit on our retirement fund too...not that we are allowed to use, occupy or enjoy any use of any assets! Nor are any family members. Strictly forbidden here.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Marilyn wrote: 30 May 2020, 09:09 We have had a big hit on our retirement fund too...not that we are allowed to use, occupy or enjoy any use of any assets! Nor are any family members. Strictly forbidden here.
Second home owners aren’t allowed in France either which is one of the reasons we watch the government advice daily from both countries and why our ferry is hypothetical . you can’t go to holiday homes and second homes in the UK either

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”