WHAT DID WE HAVE FOR TEA?

EileenDavid
Avid User

Re: WHAT DID WE HAVE FOR TEA?

Post by EileenDavid »

Last night we just had a sausage muffin tonight however we are having a turkey breast joint with all the trimmings. Eileen
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Having finished the latest lamb stew I started yesterday on the freezer clearing project. A bowl of ham and pea soup for dinner and I put a pork chop in a casserole on top of a bed of onions and cooked it slowly. Thanks to Moh I remembered the cold steak anjd onions on a butty she mentioned and the chop and onions made a good butty at teatime. I shall do the same today.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

We had steak & onion rings on Saturday and a turkey curry last night using one of the legs cut off our Christmas turkey. Tonight hubby is having steak, sausage, black pudding & egg and I will have a small piece of steak & egg served with oven chips.
Say only a little but say it well.
Bruff
Avid User

Post by Bruff »

Some proper sausages with roasted beetroot/parsnip/carrot and steamed sprout tops. Plus a good dollop of mustard.

Richard Broughton
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Did another pork chop with onion and a tin of tomatoes and a frozen soup out of the freezer. Soup for dinner and half the pork and tomato on a butty for tea. Same today but no need to cook a chop. Stove is brilliant for slow cooking and saving leccy!

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

I have some shin beef & onions slow cooking which I will make into a meat & potato pie with a suet crust.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Shin beef, one of the tastiest cuts on a beast and probably the cheapest. Well done Moh. I had another bowl of soup out of the freezer for dinner and what was left of the pork chop stew on a butty for tea. Treated mysel;f to cheese and biscuits as well as me fruit. Just out of curiosity I got on the scales fully dressed and I weighed less than I used to ragged off. Very slow but the weight is coming off.....
Will take a view of the freezer for today's meals.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Liver & onions with mash.
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Another winter warmer tea - stewing steak with shallots & veg, (slow cooking as I write), dumplings, mash & cauliflower.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Two helpings of soup yesterday! Am considering having a treat, I might get a small steak out of the freezer and have a pensioner's butty for tea!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I am thinking of making Barbeque Chicken Pizzas...
( sick of salad)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cooked two pork steaks in a tomato sauce. Did it on the stove in the front room. Pork butty for dinner with one of the steaks, one left for today and soup for tea. Have decided to have a treat and have two butties today, the remaining pork steak for dinner and some pressed beef for tea. Have popped a new loaf in the breadmaker.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

We had liver & onions last night, tonight it is oxtail with veg. & mash. I slow cooked the oxtail yesterday and this morning skimmed off the fat and added the veg. It is slow cooking now.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Moh, I skim fat as well but usually do it by draining the gravy, freezing it and lifting the fat off. You're definitely hitting the meat and onions trail during the cold weather!
Had the remaining pork chop on one butty for dinner and the pressed beef on thin slices of fresh bread for tea. I made the butty light because I wanted to treat myself to Cranberry Wensleydale on digestive biscuits followed by a banana and an apple.
I got a haggis at Stewart's and so today I'll cook it slowly on the stove and hagis butties will be the order of the day. Mind you, I might consider neaps to go with it for tea!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I got some turnip and carrots and both meals yesterday were haggis and neaps! I have to confess to one mistake. I forgot to look to my haggis and the water started boiling bursting the haggis so I finished up with haggis soup! I strained it and rescued the solids and it must have been a good haggis because it was still tasty even though I had ruined it. Must get another and do it properly! Made by would you believe The Lancashire Haggis Company! Soup back on the menu today...... Have fired the stove so I can have cheap cooking....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Poached egg butty for dinner and I cooked some bacon ribs slowly with onions on the stove. I put the remaining turnip and some peas and oatmeal with it and it made a tasty stew. Enough left for one meal today.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Enjoyed my second helping of the rib stew. Decided to eat healthy for tea and gently simmered a pan full of onion, turnip, parsnip and carrot on the stove. Mashed it with butter and had a bowl full for tea. When I came to pour the cooking water off the veggies it was so good I decided not to waste it. I popped a nice piece of Dexter shoulder steak on a bed of onions, added the usual seasoning and a full root of garlic cloves (Sorry Maz!). Simmered it very slowly for about three hours and it is now a pan full of meat that melts in the mouth and gravy you would kill for! I've got a large bowl full of the mashed veggies in the fridge so today's grub will be two good helping of the two mixed together. Looking forward to it.....
While I was doing the meat I couldn't help thinking how the TV chefs would shake their heads and say I was ruining good meat. Personally I'd rather have beef cooked like this than the part cooked bloody mess they advocate. I'm sure this stems from the fact that they need to cook meat quickly in a commercial kitchen so they have tried to educate the public that blood is good!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I'm with you on the cooking of beef (or any meat for that matter). The excellent burger bar we went to when were up in Durham made a point on the menu of stating, "all our burgers will be served well done", "If you want to wrangle it yourself, go somewhere else!". Sally's veggie option was a large roasted field mushroom with goats cheese and salad, excellent compared to the normal sawdust veggie burgers pretending to be meat. The meat burgers were made on site using locally produced beef. A proper burger bar and no more expensive than the stupid clown. They sold good beer to go with the burgers as well!
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice to hear of someone cooking beef properly for retail sale.

The stewed beef after spending a night sat on the hob. There isn't a lot of fat so I left it in it. The pan is very well designed. It has a domed, close fitting lid and when simmering all the steam is condensed in the lid and returned to the meat. Ideal for use on a stove for slow-cooking. I had some for dinner extended by a slice of toast cut into squares. I put the remainder of the mashed veg in it, added some peas and finished up with three helpings of good grub, one for tea last night and both meals today. The beef is lovely, melts in the mouth and has lost none of its taste.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

I just realised I am a couple of days behind - Saturday we had spicy chicken & chorizo in tomato sauce with roast potatoes, it was very good. Sunday was roast pork with all the trimmings (and enough dripping for my favourite breakfast, dripping on toast), Monday was cold pork, yesterday we had lunch out so it was a pork & apple stuffing for tea. Today I have some stewing steak, leeks & carrots slowly cooking in the gravy & veg. which I cooked the oxtail in, I froze it so it will make another good casserole.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I looked at what was left yesterday morning and decided to bulk it up a bit with a bag of broth bits. This made two large helpings yesterday by most of it was veggies. Not sure about today, I have half a loaf that needs eating!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Making a minced beef & onion pie tonight, there is still some gravy & veg. from the casserole so that will go in too, will serve with chips & peas.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I can't stop cooking. Made a pork, onion and garlic stew that turned out quite well. I'll finish it off today with rice.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

The other half of the pie tonight with mash - all in all an economic week's meals.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"Economy is the household mint". You're a good provider Moh, you know how to put good food on the table at the lowest cost!
I extended a bit too much yesterday with the rice, I have one helping left! Never mind, good filling grub. I'll admit to cracking last night and having a meat pie for afters!
Must put a loaf in......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”