POLITICS CORNER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: POLITICS CORNER

Post by Stanley »

In private care homes I suppose yes Kev but not in the public sector and testing is certainly down to the government.
The complaints I have heard from head teachers seem to be that the 'enhanced system' just brought in isn't working in some areas. Being an old softie I think that one hungry child is too many.
There is a sense in Parliament that Starmer is on the right track, Johnson admitted yesterday that all was not well but he's having to deal with the effects of ten years of cost cutting. PE points out that only 3,000 of the 18,000 contact tracing workers are qualified for the job, the other 15,000 are outsourced call centre workers and doubts are being expressed about whether normal 'customer Care' skills will cut it.
MD in Private Eye is worth reading again this week.
This comment in PE makes sense.....

Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Later, some cheerful news for the Chancellor and those negotiating with the EU. The BofE forecasts the biggest recession seen in England since 1706 when the war of Spanish succession in 1706 and Western Europe's Great Frost three years later hit hard. Estimates are as much as 30% fall. (LINK)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52566030

Lots of use of the words 'expected' and 'assume'. The 14% drop in the economy is overshadowing the other prediction further down the article (good old BBC) that the economy is expected to bounce back 15% in early 2021. The 2% drop in the average wage packet, most of which is because of furloughed workers only receiving 80% of their usual salary, things could have been a lot worse for them. They could have got 0% of their usual salary.

I'm just glad I'm not an politician, whatever decision they make will be wrong in someone's opinion. Damned if you do damned if you don't. I'm focusing on the positive and consider myself lucky to work in the industry that I do.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I get depressed by the way the news media keep talking down the economy, all doom and gloom. There are great opportunities out there and we should grab them as soon as lockdown starts easing off. For a start we need to develop and install lots of new technology to deal with climate change, electric vehicles, new home boilers, more use of AI and much more training of people to work in the modern world. We should also be making the UK more self sufficient for when pandemics and other crises occur. We've let other nations get ahead of us in some areas and we need to fight our way back. We're still great at engineering, science and technology but we don't do enough of it. One place to start would be to set up our own vaccine manufacture! :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Tiz, unfortunately there is a lot of gloom and doom out there. However I agree with you, I'm listening to the midday news and they do love a good miserable story.
Did you see the news yesterday that US/UK trade talks have started and of course we are told that the Brexit talks are going well. What could possibly go wrong?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Tizer wrote: 07 May 2020, 09:50 I get depressed by the way the news media keep talking down the economy, all doom and gloom. There are great opportunities out there and we should grab them as soon as lockdown starts easing off. For a start we need to develop and install lots of new technology to deal with climate change, electric vehicles, new home boilers, more use of AI and much more training of people to work in the modern world. We should also be making the UK more self sufficient for when pandemics and other crises occur. We've let other nations get ahead of us in some areas and we need to fight our way back. We're still great at engineering, science and technology but we don't do enough of it. One place to start would be to set up our own vaccine manufacture! :smile:
And so many people in the same boat, a good starting point I would have thought. Think positive is the way forward. Look where it got me , HOME!
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Only problem that strikes me Sue is that despite so many being 'in the same boat' there seems to be more bad temper and bickering all round. That's where comparisons between the pandemic and the war break down, we all pulled together then.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I have to say there seems a lot on here. Politics always causes bickering. I am sorry if I have offended. As I have said before journalists have become a nit picking profession, this has created people who also nit pick. Unfortunately often rather offensively. People get hurt, offended and defensive in the process. Thats why I hate politics. There are no nice guys in politics. Each is convinced they are right, there is no consensus anymore. The nearest we got to it was in the early days of the pandemic was when Labour said they agreed with every step the government had taken. Then we reached the blame society point. When everyone could have done it better than someone else, that their way was the best way, unfortunately or should I say fortunately we can’t action replay to see if that is true. Why do people have to be so nasty and confrontational.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Sue wrote: 08 May 2020, 08:21 . Why do people have to be so nasty and confrontational.
Exactly.
I have always wanted to congratulate UK on one thing ( nothing to do with the virus). You guys need to be proud of your security forces. We have often sat in awe over the past few years when your police force/security forces have quickly dealt with threats such as terrorists, with quick actions and brave hearts. Extraordinary people.
Perhaps that is where the money goes in terms of public spending.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Sorry can’t resist
3B0B3BDF-B2A8-41A2-9915-30021BCA28D3.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Funny, I could have sworn I said fratching not bickering in my post yesterday.... :surprised:
Don't confuse either of these with legitimate and well-founded comment about shortcomings in government performance. Too often, subsequent events prove the criticisms to be correct. A good example is Andrew Lansley's reorganisation of the central Health UK mechanism in I think 2017 which is largely responsible for present failings in supply to the NHS. Even Johnson is tending towards admitting this. We are not sheep.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I stand by my comment that politics is about bickering.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 08 May 2020, 02:36 Only problem that strikes me Sue is that despite so many being 'in the same boat' there seems to be more bad temper and bickering all round. That's where comparisons between the pandemic and the war break down, we all pulled together then.
I stand by my comment that politics is about bickering. I can’t stand bickering. Or to be correct in my opinion politics is about bickering.

Tried to delete the post above but can’t
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Big Kev wrote: 06 May 2020, 14:05 A couple of things, is the provision of PPE in private care homes not the responsibility of the care home owner
Probably, but if all normal supplies of required and H&S assesed needed to the correct ISO/BS/EU stanard have dried up or ordered to go to NHS does the care provider hand back the individuals - despite large care home networks for profit there are those charity providers and local authority provided or contracted ones and they are in no better practical situation. Someone needs to start making more PPE and get it approved sharpish, we cannot depend on China or other Asian nations, and for social distancing etc in a work enviroment there is going to be a daily demand for 60million odd different pieces of equipment daily.
Last edited by Whyperion on 09 May 2020, 18:10, edited 1 time in total.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

PanBiker wrote: 24 Apr 2020, 08:08 As I said in another thread, certifiable. It would be OK if he was the first recipient though. :extrawink:
missed the thread, but what actions can an adminstration take if its leader is demonstrating words, thoughts or actions that most folk would think if not erratic as certainly not of being of sound mind ( applies to UK PMs too, I think there is a precedent in the UK for monarchs )
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS reaction from today's Guardian. Johnson has not gained much credit or traction from his bumbling and vague message to the nation last night. Biggest criticism perhaps comes from other regional leaders who disagree with his line and accuse him of dividing the nation.
Meanwhile in another corner of the Westminster village disturbing noises come from those party to the stuttering EU negotiations which are hampered by the lack of personal contact. The critics say that the UK is continuing to disregard EU red lines and still pushing for what are seen to be deal-breaking concessions. Small matters like the NI borders and Fishing Policy are completely deadlocked. The trend of thought is that there is going to be no last minute reconciliation of views and that there is not going to be enough time for a decision. Barring a cave-in by Westminster over an extension, crashing out in chaos seems the most likely income and this at a time when economically we are crippled by the Covid crisis. Things are not looking good and this matter isn't being addressed as everyone is preoccupied by fire fighting immediate problems.
Any reason to be cheerful?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I'm pleased to report that The Times on Saturday had a piece on Keir Starmer and was impressed by his performance so far. It was especially interesting to read Tory MPs complimenting him and saying they've got to work a lot harder to counter him than his predecessor. One said `Keir Stamer is a serious opponent, it's not like when we were facing a cartoon communist'.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

They can't use the handy epithet of 'Marxist' now.
I heard a commentator say that ebullience has had its day. No names mentioned. Could a hint of reality and common sense be creeping into our most hide-bound institution? My mind goes to modernisation of voting practises as well....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The thing that strikes me about politics at the moment is that with all attention focussed on the immediate problem of the pandemic, so many other things are sliding under the radar. The disabled are getting an even worse deal than before, the bum 'assessments' for benefit are still happening and has anyone heard a word said about the plight of the blind in lockdown and in particular, maintaining social distancing?
Then there is the rash of spammers taking advantage, the ongoing pension scams and dodgy offers and in short the re-emergence of the Spivs in rip-off offers of PPE and other products, some of them totally spurious like home test kits for Covid.
Then there is the suspicion (Backed up by some recent research into groups most vulnerable to infection) that people like care workers (My Kids!), security guards and in general blue collar workers are being sacrificed as they have to use public transport. The prospects for bus drivers are so bad that many are refusing to work and who can blame them.
It is in the nature of politics to suggest that things are better than they are. This is wearing thin, in particular the economic state of the UK and the consequences for negotiations with the EU on Brexit and what the effects will be of a likely crash out at the end of the year are being glossed over. The pandemic is bad but the longer term consequences look even worse. Johnson says he is levelling with us, I'm afraid that is a bare faced lie. The biggest consequence is going to be the sacrifice of the poorest in society and I think that's obvious.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We started to get a view of the economic problems. Interesting that in an effort to cushion the impact of some very had figures it was admitted that the economy was in stasis in January. If you remember that was when we were being assured that the economy was strong and ready for Brexit. The reality is that there was a 2% drop in February, it itself a startling drop in normal times and back to 2008 country. However that is only the start, we are now in recession and it's going to reach levels that were unimaginable 6 months ago. The estimates of 30-35% without the effects of Brexit are looking reasonable.
One of the matters that Labour is on top of now, and they are quite right, is that in the efforts to recoup the losses to the Treasury there should be no further cuts in public and social services. Imagine announcing a pay freeze in the NHS and the Care sector when what we should be doing is raising rates to encourage recruitment and simply be fair. No point clapping the nurses and effectively cutting their wages....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

At some time the country is going to have to pay for the debt the government is running up. Not that I disapprove of spending to get out of this hole as long as they don't get ripped off by profit seeking companies. In my mind inflation is set to rise purely to cover the Covid outbreak but then following that we have no trade deals at the moment which would offset this rise. As always I get the feeling that they will start at the bottom re; pensioners triple lock, supplementary benefits, increased fuel duty and VAT. Cassandra strikes again.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I'm seeing and hearing a lot in the business and political news now about the importance of `equity' in the post-covid years. Unfortunately I find that there is often failure to explain which meaning of the word is intended...
1. The quality of being fair and impartial.
2. The value of the shares issued by a company.
It's made worse because both meanings are relevant to the coming situation. For example meaning number 1 is relevant to issues such as `levelling out', `spreading the load'; number 2 is relevant to issues concerning how we deal with the money from taxes loaned or given to businesses after covid and who or what will take equity in the companies.

Just to make matters worse, sometimes equity is being used when the correct word should be equality. I think some people feel the word equity sounds more impressive! :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"As always I get the feeling that they will start at the bottom re; pensioners triple lock, supplementary benefits, increased fuel duty and VAT."
On past experience P you are almost certainly correct. Plus back pedalling on promises. Remember cladding on high buildings? A lot of tenants of flats are still being dunned for massive payments and Grenfell is on hold. Think of things like flood defences...
Agreed Tiz. My version of 'equity' would be effective action against off-shore rip-offs, better pay for carers and NHS staff and progressive taxes. I am not holding my breath!
Did you see that Rishi Sunak rebelled against his own measure in electronic voting? He hit the wrong button! Hope he's better at sums...
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Am I mistaken or is the level of Johnson bluster reducing as the Covid figures mount and our performance in England particularly begins to appear deficient? It is becoming harder to make statements like 'leading globally' and 'world beating' when referring to our policies. Optimistic statements are thin on the ground now as the truth of the situation hits hard. There is evidence to suggest that our performance nationally has been anything but efficient and sooner or later this will have to be admitted. I get the idea that internally there are divisions in government and they are beginning to show. At the moment the hot spots are care homes, social care in the community and return to school.
On a brighter note, daughter Susan is back at work at the care home and told me yesterday that she is very impressed by the precautions the management have put in place. Of course they have had deaths, the clients are very frail and elderly but allowing for that she is happy with the way things are going now. It appears that some lessons have been learned and are being implemented.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

I have the suspicion that we are moving towards the Swedish model of a more open regime of letting businesses open but allowing people to use common sense and keep social distancing, hand washing, gloves, masks etc. Rather than saying this is what we are doing they are using the 'R' rate as a bit of camouflage without actually telling people they are changing tack. Locally I think Pendle had always very low rate but I can't confirm any printed figures. Having divided the country up in small segments it becomes a ' whack a mole' where you claim success except in odd areas.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”