TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a day of cold strong winds and intermittent wintry showers. Last night at 20:00 it was the same but we found a gap for Jack. First thing this morning we had had a recent shower, it was cold and windy. Since then we have had a sleet shower. The glass started to rise yesterday afternoon and is up on 1011mb. The forecast is for the sleet showers to stop shortly and after that the cloud will break and it will be dry with sunny spells until later tonight when rain/sleet comes in again. The wind is a constant moderate gusty WNW for most of the day giving a high of 6C and a low of 4C. However the story is the wind chill of -5 or -6C for most of the day. It will feel cold and raw, at the moment the result is -3C. Wrap up warm and be ready for some intermittent showers at any time, it's that sort of a day!
05:50. Glad we are back! I dressed in full Mother Russia under a waterproof hoodie and it wasn't overkill. The wind is cold and blustery and when you are facing into it the Met Office estimate of -3C is very believable. Intermittent sleet showers and some pavements and the stone flags in Town Square are icing up. This was not a pleasant walk but on the plus side it could have been much worse. Also, even under the overcast it was light enough to take the inside unlit path through Valley Gardens and by the time we got home some large clear patches had come over and it was coming daylight. The clouds are moving very quickly and the Met Office say that this is due to a particularly strong and fast Jet Stream.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday afternoon was cold but sunny. At 20:00 it was breezy, cold and dry but under heavy overcast. First thing this morning we had strong wind and steady cold rain and it's the same now. The glass is down on 994 and still falling fast. The forecast is for this rain to continue until 14:00 when we might have a respite of broken cloud, sunny spells and showers until 18:00 when another band of rain comes in. We have a Yellow Warning for damaging wind and heavy rain. The wind will be strong and blustery, gusts to over 50mph and we can expect a high of 6C and a low of 4C with a wind chill of up to -6C all day. Looks like a nasty day Kids, full waterproofs I think!
The Shipping Forecast gives us a clue, Gales, up to severe storm 11, in all areas except Trafalgar.
06:00. I think the best description for this morning's walk is challenging and possibly character-forming! We have strong wind and continuous rain, for much of the time, very heavy. It's cold as well, some sleet in the rain. The Corn Mill Dam in Butts is running solid over the cill a foot deep and thundering down the beck bottom. I think you get the picture! If you can stay out of it do so!
One good thing is that the question of keeping Jack's wound flexible has been dealt with, he got soaked.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The forecast was accurate, the afternoon was dry and sunny. At 20:00 last night the wind was rising but it was still dry under broken cloud. This morning first thing it was the same but there had been rain in the night. Just been out and we now have higher winds and cold rain with it, deep joy! The glass is down on 987mb. The forecast is for heavy rain interspersed with brighter spells with some sun until noon, then a bright dry afternoon with rain coming in again in the evening. The strong WNW wind is constant and gusts up to 50mph at times giving a high of 7C and a low of 5C but with a wind chill of -5 or -6C all day depending on the wind strength. I think you can draw your own conclusions as to where the best place to be is today!
06:00. Glad to be back inside! Waterproof hoodie and Mother Russia balaclava but no leggings as the rain had slackened and before we got back had ceased as the NW wind brings breaks in the cloud but there are still plenty of rain clouds on the horizon. The wind..... That's the story this morning, much stronger than yesterday, enough to make you stagger when a gust hit you. It's roaring in the trees and I took the outside path in Valley Gardens, less chance of a falling branch there! Butts flow is not as high as yesterday but still considerable. On the whole a better walk than yesterday. Just enough rain to keep Jack's wound soft!
I worry about Wendy, that extra 500ft makes a lot of difference and they are wide open to the NW..... It will be a lot stronger up there!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We are still here! I haven't checked outside yet for any damage though. It was wild night and very noisy in our bedroom. The house is only one and a half story so we are very close to the roof!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I hope it isn't too bad Wendy..... We are getting cold showers again..... Still very windy.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was better than Tuesday but still a cold wet day with showers and sunny intervals. At 20:00 it was windy and cold but dry. Thin cloud scudding across the moon which was just visible. This morning first thing it was cold and raining but less wind, just looked out and it hasn't changed. The glass rose during the night but has now dropped back to 991mb. The forecast is a re-run of yesterday with rain until 08:00 and mixed sun and rain after that. The wind is going to be the same, WNW most of the day but backing to W this afternoon. It will be strong with gusts up to 50mph and the high is 8C and the low 5C with a wind chill of as much as -6C during the day. Tomorrow could be drier but still very windy. March is being a lion!
06:30. We went out later with the advantage of breaking daylight and in the hope that the heavy rain would bate. It didn't work..... I was in full wet weather gear with Wellingtons so no danger of getting wet but walking into the teeth of the still strong winds was horrible. (I didn't bother putting my glasses on) Jack has got wet but that's good for his back and like a good soldier he never jibbed, he ignores the weather! Butts is in full flood, even higher than Tuesday, it's roaring solid over the cill of the dam in Butts and the ground is sodden, standing water everywhere. The rain did bate as we got into the second half of the walk and by the time we reached home it had ceased.
This was not a pleasant walk and I had to keep reminding myself how much good it does us......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

After the lousy start we ended up with a sunny but blustery day with only occasional black clouds and spits of rain on the wind. This morning first thing it was much calmer but raining steadily. I've just looked out and there is more wind now and it is still raining. The glass rose slightly yesterday but fell back during the night to 992mb. The forecast is for rain until 08:00 with the chance of a break around 06:00. After 09:00 we can expect a similar day to yesterday, brighter and sunny but some occasional light rain. The wind is going to be very similar to yesterday a constant strong west wind gusting to 45mph. The high will be 8C and the low 3C with a wind chill of -4 or -5C all day. Tomorrow we can expect a warmer day but with heavy rain.
05:20. Just looked out and the wind is up but I think the rain is 'bating.....
06:20. Back from the butcher's and we were lucky, the wind dropped and the rain stopped just as we left the house so we had a dry walk. Not cold, windy at times with strong gusts but on the whole a good walk. It has started raining again since. Broken clouds are racing over but at least it's daylight.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Very similar day to the one before, we ended up with dry sunny weather but with a strong gusty wind. At 20:30 last night we had a stiff breeze and it was dry under a perfectly clear sky. First thing this morning we had less wind with heavy cold rain and it is still the same. The glass rose slightly during the day but this morning has fallen back to 992mb. The forecast is dead simple, rain all day! The constant SW wind rises shortly and becomes a stiff breeze again gusting to 45mph giving a high of 9C and a low of 1C with a -4 or -5C wind chill.
05:40. We went out early to avoid the rise in wind strength, rain is bad but driving rain is far worse! We were lucky, it was calm and shortly after we set off the rain bated slightly. Until then I was considering just having a short walk, I wasn't going to get soaked just for routine, but I changed my mind and we did the full Valley Gardens walk and it was reasonable. Butts Beck isn't quite as high as yesterday but still a very heavy flow. Despite the heavy overcast it was noticeably lighter which is encouraging!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We've just had our short morning walk and it is raining much harder and the wind has risen. There is standing water on the Green in places I have never seen it before. This is not good weather! I am going to bed and will get up for Grand Prix...... [Jack is rubbed down and feeling no pain....]
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Water is getting everywhere. This morning's swim at Colne's pool was cancelled due to water dripping through the roof onto the electrics. I told them it may add a bit of a buzz to the swim but they chickened out and closed the pool down.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I don't think the rain stopped at all yesterday P. We got wet every time we went out.
At 20:00 the sky had cleared, there was a bright moon and stars. We had a gusty wind but it was not raining. This morning the sky is mostly clear, just a few scattered low clouds, not raining but there has been a recent shower. The glass has been moving up and down slightly but has gone back to a shade over 988mb. The forecast is for it to be dry until 06:00 then about three hours of rain and sleet with ice underfoot which becomes a mixed day of sunny spells and showers. The constant moderate west wind is slightly less aggressive than yesterday but still gusting to 35mph and it tends to NW later. This gives us a high of 6C and a low of 0C but with a wind chill of -5C which means that effectively we shall be feeling below freezing all day. I suppose this is an improvement but only marginal! Chance of a spell of snow for Wendy......
05:45. We went out early in case the forecast was right and the rain will come in again. It didn't work. It was cold and the wind was very light but we had occasional spatters of hard sleet, nothing serious, Jack didn't need rubbing down when we got back. The cloud was breaking nicely but the solid grey cloud coming in from the west now looks like more of something. It's cold but on the whole a far better walk than of late. The encouraging thing is that it was already coming light when we went out. The days are lengthening! The next full moon is on Wednesday, could it bring a change to better weather?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday turned into a bright dry sunny day marred only by the persistent cold NW wind. At 20:30 it was calmer and clear, dry with just a few scattered clouds. This morning it was the same and it's the same now and almost calm. The glass is well up at 1011mb. The forecast is for an overcast day with a chance of rain during the morning. The forecast gives a light west wind all day, much less than we have been having but the wind we got yesterday was NW and I expect the same today. The high is 6C and the low 5C. The Met office gives a wind chill of -3C but I expect it to be more until the wind changes. It's an improvement but wrap up warm!
06:00. A much better Crombie walk! Calm overcast and chilly but getting light at 05:30 when we went out and by the time we got back some of the street lights were turning off, that's a first for this year. I may have been wrong about the wind direction, what there is seems to be from the west..... Less than a fortnight until the clocks change..... (31st of March)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was brighter but intermittent light showers never far away all day. At 20:30 we had broken cloud, dry and only a slight breeze. Same this morning. The glass is up on 1019mb. The forecast is for a very similar day as yesterday, overcast and a chance of a shower any time, not a lot of sun about. The wind is a light to moderate SW all day giving us a high of 9C and a low of 7C with a -3C wind chill most of the day. Nothing to get excited about but the trend begins to hint at better weather to come.
06:15. We went out 15 minutes later. Daylight, calm, overcast, dry and mild. For the first time this year I left the padded shirt out under the Crombie and was quite warm enough. The birds are singing and there is definitely a hint of season change about. Lovely.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A very pleasant day on the whole but still cold in the wind and some very light showers later on. At 20:30 it was overcast, light wind and dry after a recent shower. First thing this morning it was the same, there had been a light shower earlier. It's still the same now. The glass is up slightly at 1023mb. The forecast is for a dry cloudy day. The constant light to moderate WSW wind will give is a high of 11C and a low tonight of 8C with a -2C wind chill so feeling a bit warmer. The outlook is for similar weather with no nasty surprises in sight. The moon is hidden but is full.
06:00. A pleasant walk, no Crombie, just a heavy shirt. It's dry, overcast, calm, mild and slightly misty. Very even cloud cover. This is good weather!
Later.... I have just been reminded that today is the Spring Equinox, the day when day and night are of equal length.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a dull start but an almost Spring-like afternoon. At 20:30, it was calm, mild dry and we had 100% overcast. First thing this morning it was the same, no rain overnight, and I have just looked out and it's the same now, the very accurate thermometer outside in the back yard tells me that in old money, we have 50F. The glass is almost unchanged, up slightly at just under 1025mb. The forecast is basically exactly the same as yesterday, dull all day, a misty start and dry. The W/SW wind is constant and moderate and during the day lessens. The high will be 10C and the low 8C with a wind chill of about -3C all day. On yesterday's showing, we can perhaps expect a bit of sun this afternoon? This is kind weather and we will see the effects shortly. As usual at this time of the year watch out for cold East winds which can set in and hold back growth. If they set in they can hold growth back. As usual I expect we are going to have to wait until June before we can expect to be frost free so don't be fooled into shopping for bedding plants!
05:50. Out a bit earlier but it was still getting light. We've had a pleasant walk on a mild, calm and dry morning with 100% overcast. Just a touch of mist in the air but not as much as yesterday. The birds are enjoying the weather, they are singing their hearts out!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I decided not to bring the ponies into the barn last night, there is some fresh grass and the ground is reasonably dry so they can stop out. I spent a disturbed night worrying about them but they have survived!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It never dropped below 50F Wendy and it looks as though it will be the same tonight. But later in the week it gets colder I think.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It looks reasonably dry for the next couple of weeks Stanley and they don't mind the cold. I'm away for 3 nights at the beginning of April and I don't want to leave Colin with stables to do. Hopefully they will be settled into their new routine by then. I'm off to Exeter by train to visit family.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm sure Col will look after them OK if there is a cold snap. You'll feel the difference in Exeter. I always noted how late and cold we are here when I was tramping round in the wagon. We're as far behind when it comes to Spring as anyone, and that includes the North of Scotland.
Yesterday was duller but another good dry day. Last night at 22:30 it was overcast, calm, mild and dry. This morning it's the same and I ditched my Damart vest. Just looked out and we have some spots of rain on a light wind, still 50F. The glass is down slightly at 1022mb. The forecast is for another cloudy, dry day until nightfall when we might get a shower. The constant moderate SW wind gives us a high of 10C and a low of 3C with a -3C wind chill all day. The foreseeable outlook is for this quiet mild weather to continue. I shall shave my head this morning, I hope that doesn't trigger a cold snap!
06:30. Back from a very acceptable walk down to the butcher's. It was coming daylight when we went out and by the time we got back home all the street lights were out. There is 100% cloud cover, a very light west wind, it's mild and occasional spots of water on the wind which never developed into rain. There is still moisture on the wind at 07:00.
The only thing that caught my eye was the car that came up Skipton Road, turned right onto the one way Station Road and dropped a young lady off at the bus stop then proceeded the wrong way out at the other end. A passing milk chap and I watched him and decided he was at least original!
By the way, having ditched the Damart vest first thing I shaved my head and went out without a padded shirt under my Crombie. This probably means that winter will return next week!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The rain came in at teatime as forecast but only a light shower. At 20:30 it was calm, cooler, overcast and dry. Same this morning first thing but the overcast was not heavy, the almost full moon was clearly visible but through the cloud, it's still the same but with a light cool breeze. The glass has risen slightly again and is on 1025mb. The forecast is for a brighter dry day with some sunshine later. The westerly wind tends to the north and the high will be 8C and a low of 2C with a wind chill of -2 or -3C all day. The outlook is for similar weather but slightly warmer nights. A good walking day!
06:05. Nice walk. A slight breeze has come up and the perceived temperature is probably about 1C, I have a thin shirt on this morning so I'll admit to putting my thick shirt on under the Crombie. It got light enough to put the street lights out by the time we were in Butts. Not a bad walk at all.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was a good day yesterday and at 20:30 it was calm, cold and dry but still overcast. First thing this morning it was the same but with a clear sky, moon and stars crystal clear. It's still the same now and the sky is brightening in the East, it will be daylight early this morning. The glass had risen slightly but fell back during the night to 1026mb. The forecast is for a bright sunny day until late afternoon when it will cloud over and we may have some light rain. The West wind will be constant and brisk with gusts to 35mph. The high will be 8C and the low 3C with a wind chill of -3 to -4C all day. The season may be Spring but wrap up warm, we haven't lost the cold weather yet! If you are going for a walk, do it early.
06:00. A bracing walk under a mainly clear sky but some scattered cloud coming in from the west. There is a light grass frost and the light wind has a touch of the NW about it. But nevertheless, daylight early and air like wine, what's not to like!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was bright but with a cold wind. The light rain came in late in the afternoon but didn't amount to anything. At 20:30 it was windy and very cold but dry. First thing this morning we had a breeze, clear sky and it was dry and cold, just looked out and it is still the same but the breeze has dropped. The glass is on 1025mb. The forecast is for sun all day and a clear sky. The wind is NW all day until late tonight. It will start moderate and get lighter as the day goes on. The high will be 10C and the low 3C but with a wind chill varying between -5c and -1C depending on the wind. Another good day for walking but wrap up well!
05:45. Back in the warm.... We were lucky, the wind hadn't started to get up yet so we didn't get the full benefit of the -5C wind chill! Nevertheless, I had my Damart balaclava on and kept my ears warm. Perfectly clear sky, brilliant moon and some of the brighter stars, dry and as we came home the street lights were switching off. I don't see how you could have a better walk at this time of the year. (The birds are enjoying it as well, singing their hearts out.)
Later, just had our second walk and it's glorious out there, full sun and the promised wind hasn't arrived yet.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The wind never really got up yesterday, so it was warmer than expected, lovely day. At 20:30 it was clear, breezy and cold. This morning it was dry and overcast, cold and misty. The glass is up slightly on 1029mb. The forecast is for a dry but largely overcast day. The WNW wind will be moderate giving a high of 9C and a low of 6C with a -3 or -4C wind chill all day. Not exciting but it could be a lot worse!
05:45. A good walk. It's calm and dry, the early mist has cleared and we have a slight frost. It's overcast but coming light before we got home, street lights switching off. This and better will do!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

More sun than forecast but that wind was cold! At 20:30 it was overcast, breezy and cold but dry. It was the same first thing and I have just popped out to check, no change. The glass is rock steady on 1029mb. The forecast is for another overcast but dry day. The constant moderate wind is from the West and gives a high of 9C and a low of 5C. There will be a -3C wind chill for most of the day. The outlook shows no change for at least five days. This is kind winter/early Spring weather.
05:50. A good walk. Very little wind, breaking cloud and light early. We got one glimpse of the moon through a break in the cloud in Butts. An early walk at this time of the year doesn't get much better! (But wrap up well, it's still cold....)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was as forecast with some sun but always a cold wind! At 20:30 it was clear as a bell, slight breeze, dry and cold. This morning first thing it was similar but with overcast. I've just looked outside and it is unchanged. The glass is up slightly on 1031mb. The forecast is for a brighter day with more sun once the misty start clears in the next 3 hours. The wind starts very light and variable but settles down to a constant westerly later giving a high of 11C and a low of 3C. The wind chill will get up to -3C as the wind gets up. Looks like a better day than yesterday and good walking weather! The outlook is for slightly colder and more cloudy weather with a chance of light rain on Saturday.
06:00. Back after a very pleasant walk, overcast and cool but calm and dry and daylight came early this morning. The clocks go forwards one hour on Sunday but it will still be light at 05:30.
06:20. A good walk on a light morning, clear calm and frosty. Kath said that it was foggier over Colne way. A good start to the day.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”