Today I shall be Mainly...

Sue
VIP Member

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Sue »

Another day of excessive heat. Roll on Saturday and a cool 25 degrees. Due to be cloudy and hot today . Rain due tomorrow which will lower the temperatures. In this heat there is little activity. Yesterday I made up the bed for Erin but still have to vacuum the room. Making the bed up was as much as I could manage after also changing our bedding and doing the ironing. Today I will make up Claire and Adams bed. I shall save the vacuuming and dusting till it is a little cooler on Friday

We are taking a trip to Vannes today to buy the washbasin and unit for the new ensuite bedroom, probably this morning whilst it is still a bit cooler.
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Do as little as possible Sue, there is no rush.....
Having said that, I am doing a load of washing.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Christian

Post by Christian »

Sat in the office moving as little as possible, the aircon has packed in and we are currently rising at 5°C an hour. Wonder how long this will last....
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Normality today Christian!
I shall be walking down to the butcher's and reflecting on the ideal growing conditions. It all bodes well for the autumn fruits!
As the temperature falls and immunotherapy recedes I am looking at the little jobs stacking up in the shed. No rush but it will be nice when it is a comfortable temperature in there!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I am suffering from a sore throat and the symptoms of a summer cold! We have a well stocked bathroom cabinet including lemsip medication, which I have been taking for the last 24 hours.

Bedrooms prepare for visitors and the plumbing and washbasin etc bought yesterday. It was cool in the new DIY warehouse, lots of air conditioning I think. Sadly the fabric store I usually visit in the same outlet area in Vannes seems to have moved elsewhere, with no notice to give a new address. Today we have some food shopping to do and the bathrooms to clean and the daily sweep of dead flies which pester us profusely as we live in a rural area, with a river close by. Yesterday I stuck ornate fly insecticide patches in the shape of butterflies on all downstairs windows and on the mirror in the bathroom. Within hours it looked like a fly cemetery. We have a uv fly killer in the kitchen, and sticky fly papers, plus ceiling mounted fans which keep the numbers down a bit but you wouldn’t have known it yesterday. I think the humidity was making it worse.

It rained a little overnight and some thunder, not as much as expected but today the temperatures are much nearer normal, at about 24 degrees.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I commiserate on the flies Sue. I hate them! I have both front and back doors open at the moment to ventilate the house while it is cool. Luckily there are very few flies about......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We get loads of flies here. I try not to get distressed by them.
Yesterday was a good day to wash the loose covers from 2 settees, loads of free hot water and leccy from the sunshine and they were dry in half an hour out on the line. It wasn't a good day to do battle with the cushions getting the darn things back on! :sweatdrop: :sweatdrop: Knockout:
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Insect screens! We have insect screens on every door and window.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

I'm surprised door vendors dont attempt to sell more flyscreen doors these days.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Slightly warmer now we have been for our walk. My hands were so cold this morning that I put my mittens on and tucked a (hot) freshly hard boiled egg in each one. Heaven for cold fingers.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Definitely no need for hand warmers here Maz! You reminded me of something, I shall go and have a furtle....

Daniel's friend Marlene knitted him a willy warmer in 1977. Any interest to Dave?

Today the aim is to have an hour in the shed but take it easy for the rest of the day. That seems to be the usual programme now!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

It was a cool cloudy 26 degrees, yesterday, it felt positively cold at times :laugh5: today looks pleasant, from my bedroom window. A good day to get Claire , Erin and Adams holiday washing done. With several changes of clothes daily in the 40 plus degrees in Paris there is plenty. Otherwise I think its a bit of a quiet day today after their 7 hour drive yesterday .Erin was full of Eurodisney, she absolutely loved it,

My cold is in full swing but at least the sore throat has gone so it will be a good day not to do much
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I hope you improve quickly Sue.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Streaming Stanley, streaming!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Let the family look after you Sue!
Had an indoor day today making courgette & broadbean soup, watching F1 qualifying and starting to clean the windows inside.
2 down 11 to go! A lazy day.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's good Sue, better out than in as my mother used to say. Mind you, it never helped me feel better...
Getting used to normal summer temperatures, I have put my vest back on!
Watching German GP this evening....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Hubby had a sudden need to go to the Garden Centre and buy multiple packets of bulbs.
Then he had the sudden urge that we should plant said bulbs together. Took us about 2 hours.
I now have the sudden urge to do nothing much for the rest of the day, whilst he has made his way back to his beloved computer. Peace now reigns...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sounds idyllic.... :good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Taking Sally to Skipton for the train to Stratford to pick our Ruby up. She will stay overnight and they will both be back here tomorrow ready for our holiday with the other two grandchildren.

It's Tough Mudder at Broughton Hall this weekend, (should have plenty after yesterdays rain) well done to all those taking part and raising brass for good causes. :smile: A good event but one to be avoided if you have to get the other side of the traffic that it causes. They operate a turn round system using the Skipton bypass roundabout for one way entry into the site. We will go via Earby and over to Carleton and get into Skipton that way. :extrawink:
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

They blocked off part off the Carleton Road last year Ian to stop people trying to get in the back way. Diversion down to Lothersdale and into Carleton that way.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Thanks for that Wendy, just about to set off. Might be able to get down Park Lane into Carleton, we'll see what the deal is when we get up there.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Back from dropping Sally off, no issues, we went straight through on the A59, just a slight hold up at the bottom entrance to Broughton Hall on the way back, slow traffic with those turning in after the turn round from the roundabout, no more than a minute or so. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Unaffected by traffic matters I shall have my hour in the shed and after a sleep set off round the world with Joshua Slocum. I decided to go with him before cruising the Baltic with Arthur Ransome. It's a tough job but someone has to do it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Cool but sunny here. Just hoping I get the three loads of washing dry on the line. We have warmed up slightly after a morning walk.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Just got the call, Sally and Ruby will be in Skipton by 13.55, just setting off to collect them. :smile:
Ian

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”