Today I shall be Mainly...

Sue
VIP Member

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 06:29 "Its not been an easy job getting pipes through 3 foot thick stone walls."

I came across the same problem Sue at Hey Farm but an old mason showed me the solution. It may be a bit late for Bob but what he showed me was that I was wrong in making the assumption that thick walls needed deep foundations. The opposite is true because they impose less load on the ground because of their area. The old builders had just laid down blue limestone stones (they are waterproof) and built on top. All I had to do was dig down a foot and burrow under the wall, install the pipe and fill the cavity with dry sand. I suspect your old masons may have done the same thing.
As I say, this is a bit late but show it to Bob, it might help him in future.
Interesting, Bob says. He is however working on the first floor . He plumbed the laundry room downstairs when we came using some of the existing plumbing done by the previous french owner. Then he concreted the soil floor and tiled it before putting in fitted units ( from MFIs closing down sale) . The tank for the hot water is already in what was the grain store attached to the side of the house,(now my art room) thus he is coming through an exterior wall at the upper floor level, straight through what was the end wall of the house to the back of what is now the bedroom. He has drilled through the masonry and with Adams help when he was here, he has put a plastic pipe through to act as a conduit for the copper water pipes. Coming in from the bottom would have meant the now fully fitted and tiled laundry room would have been affected. Its interesting though and would have been useful if starting from scratch

Mist gone, now glorious sunshine, loads of washing to do!
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Never mind, It could come in handy with the next rebuild...... :biggrin2:
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 07:51 Never mind, It could come in handy with the next rebuild...... :biggrin2:
Er....I had better not relate that message to him! :laugh5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:biggrin2:
I wrote two more articles yesterday and a third is under way. I shall continue churning them out until the flow dries up. Funny how the writing bug always springs into life when a deadline is in the offing.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 03:38 :biggrin2:
I wrote two more articles yesterday and a third is under way. I shall continue churning them out until the flow dries up. Funny how the writing bug always springs into life when a deadline is in the offing.....
I agree, I write with more success when under pressure. In fact I could do with a bit of pressure to get my talk written.

Its a grey morning and am not sure which way it will go. If it stays grey I shall continue with some domestic chores. I am in the process of cleaning out the kitchen cupboards and relining the shelves. The windows could do with a clean too. Otherwise it is perhaps a bit of sewing or art. We have to go to the DIY store first thing to replace something Bob has mislaid . You can bet we will find it once we return.

I started my shirt yesterday but am having trouble with finding in the right settings/needle/thread for the fabric. It keeps puckering and I don’t know why. I may decide to leave it till I get home where I can easily buy different thread and needles or even take the fabric to Maxine to ask for ideas. Here it involves a ling trip to Rennes or Nantes. If I sew with a piece of paper on top it sews beautifully. Perhaps I should try the teflon foot, it may grip the fabric better. Problems, problems, always something to be resolved in the creative world. Talking of creative, I finished my mirror. I like the effect and feel good about my little bit of upcycling.

Oh, there is sun breaking through, it may be a gardening day instead :laugh5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You asked for pressure....
Sue, stop procrastinating and indulging in displacement activity! We expect better of you! Sit down and write the bloody thing..... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

A housework morning for me as I have a quick turnaround of visitors. One left yesterday afternoon and the next arrives today. I'm also hoping to get the grass cut this afternoon as it looks like the last dry day for a long time!
Joanna and I enjoyed a lovely few days walking and chatting. We covered about 16 miles over three days and I caught up on all the news from Scotland.
Joanna needed new walking boots as her old pair were dropping to pieces, unfortunately she has small but impossibly broad and deep feet. There are only two manufacturers who make boots of the fit she needed and the main supplier turns out to be in Whalley so after a lot of anxiety about spending so much money (expensive boots) we set off to visit Whalley Warm and Dry.
She was thoroughly measured, lectured to and eventually fitted with the perfect boots which were then specially shaped to give bits of her feet the room she needed. They were then professionally waxed so we could learn the right technique, and we finally left the shop after about 90 mins with a comfortable pair of boots, knowledge of how and when to wax and various clever lacing tricks ....the downside being a possible parking fine. 😣
Vera arrives this afternoon and I have less strenuous plans which include Art in the Pen at Skipton Auction Mart on Saturday and Trawden Show on Sunday.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I looked their website up Wendy.... Looks like a bit of a goodie! I love the Han Wag bunion boots.....
Two more articles written yesterday, must reckon up how far I am ahead now..... Problem is my head is full of ideas!
Did my admonition work Sue?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 07:33 You asked for pressure....
Sue, stop procrastinating and indulging in displacement activity! We expect better of you! Sit down and write the bloody thing..... :biggrin2:
Its half done Stanley.

Yesterday was a domestic day. I washed all our fleeces and anoraks, cleaned out and relined the cupboards in the laundry room and did the annual thorough clean of the china cabinet in the séjour. I wrote to Maxine explaining the problem with my sewing and she wrote back with a solution which I promptly applied. It worked so sewing is back on.

We have just had a horrendous storm but now the sky is clearing. However it does not promise to be a good day. This morning is food shopping ready for our pizza party tomorrow. This afternoon, I WILL clean out my kitchen cupboards.

Thus the little activities I intended doing whilst here and the ones I brought with me are progressing well. My powerpoint presentation needs some specifics adding, then it will be finished Stanley, my knitting and shirt are progressing, and I even did some of my oil painting yesterday.

Bob also is progressing. We have a functioning shower, a toilet almost completely plumbed in and today is the turn of the washbasin. The unit is is in situ and the water supply to it is also completed and leaks cured.

I picked my first corn on the cob yesterday, it is 8 inches long. There are loads more coming, that is if todays storm hasn’t smashed them down. They are already tied up to a tree after last weeks storm. I continue to harvest runner beans, courgettes , cucumber and patty pan( of which I have to admit I have had more than enough) and the leeks are looking good. I at last have some tomatoes ripening and this years crop of potatoes are beautiful. Because the soil is dry, they dig out clean and only need a quick wash. There should be plenty to see us through the rest of the summer I bottled the rest of my beetroot and pickled all of my crop of shallots. A productive summer in the end. The soft fruit have been pathetic but yesterday I noticed we do have blackberries.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Just reading that makes me feel tired Sue! Glad you got on with the writing....
I did a bit of cleaning.... I took advantage of a lull in the rain to scrub my kitchen window with a scotch pad laced with Fairy detergent then swilled them off and did the inside the same way but without swilling! What an improvement clean windows make! My writing has suffered because of shopping and a bit of light cooking, I have put a ham hock into cider to slow cook during the day. So far so good!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Sue wrote: 09 Aug 2019, 06:29 Bob also is progressing. We have a functioning shower, a toilet almost completely plumbed in and today is the turn of the washbasin. The unit is is in situ and the water supply to it is also completed and leaks cured.
Just a question Sue. Do you need permission to make all these improvements? I sometimes read that the local Mayor must give his permission otherwise the terms of the house purchase are broken and it can revert back to the original owner.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

plaques wrote: 09 Aug 2019, 09:03
Sue wrote: 09 Aug 2019, 06:29 Bob also is progressing. We have a functioning shower, a toilet almost completely plumbed in and today is the turn of the washbasin. The unit is is in situ and the water supply to it is also completed and leaks cured.
Just a question Sue. Do you need permission to make all these improvements? I sometimes read that the local Mayor must give his permission otherwise the terms of the house purchase are broken and it can revert back to the original owner.
You can do anything inside but anything that permanently affects the external appearance of the house has to have permission. Our gazebo would have had to have permission if permanent but we can prove it is not a permanent structure as the wooden posts slot into metal bases dug into the ground ( actually cemented into ) and hence can be removed. We are not allowed to build any structure in our field...now our veggie garden and orchard, as it is classed as agricultural land. We would even need permission for a poly tunnel, not that we want one, or solar panels on the roof or even changing the windows if they are not like for like. We put roof lights in the grenier, that needed permission. One of the bedrooms could do with one, our builder said just to do it as externally it would just be in a long line of similar windows and not obvious.
Not building on the field was a stated condition when we purchased the house, and when we sell that piece of land will be offered to the local farmers first
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nothing is simple is it Sue.....
I shall be aiming for some writing but on yesterday's showing, domestic matters could take precedence.... No worries, nobody is forcing me to do anything.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I did clean my cupboards yesterday but forgot the one under the sink which really needs a tidy out. Hmm I will have to do it another day. At the same time I did 1.6 kg of pizza flour into pizza dough for today, using my bread maker in 4 batches. I thought I could store it in bags in the fridge but tge first bag full continued to grow and burst out of the bag. I ended up using two large plastic boxes. One sat inside the other on top of 8 ice packs. The pizza dough was put in this top box with a lid firmly sealing it. Every now and then I kneaded it back down. Overnight I sat the box combination on a clean plastic table cloth and covered with a clean table cloth and towels for insulation. It worked. The dough is very cold but still nicely active. Our neighbours are invited for 12.30. Bob has to get the pizza oven working and I have to wash some lettuce...the french love their lettuce...and chop up toppings. Nearer the time I will put a layer of pizza dough in several foil, trays and then its DIY for the toppings.

It will be a sit down meal outside if the wind has died down. It wrecked my corn plants yesterday otherwise we will be inside( I have had to put my sewing away as it was on the dining room table). The kids usually eat and go and play outside. It will be a nice afternoon off all our jobs. Bob has nearly finished the ensuite and its looking very nice indeed. He just has the drain to complete on the washbasin and put the towel rail etc up. We bought accessories yesterday and the carpet arrived for the bedroom, to cover the old one. A good weeks work
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Once again you leave me feeling exhausted! Glad you solved the pizza! It sounds like Quatermass.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Had a fabulous day. Got to the caravan park about 11.30am, plugged in and set up. Walked up hill ( in the rain) to get to the pub for the 12.30 booking. Lovely meal and wine...then the waitress produced a cake, with sparklers, that my son and girlfriend organised. It was lovely (had to have a bit of cake, to be polite, of course). Sat sipping and chatting until about 3.30pm. Then the kids dropped us back to the van on their way out of town. We divided up the cake, and are left with a manageable portion. We are snug as bugs tonight, but it is freezing outside, and toddling off to the loo will be invigorating in the night! Brass monkeys indeed. I am sleeping with leg warmers over my pj pants, and I have a fluffy blanket inside my sleeping bag.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Glad you had a nice time Maz. :smile: Just for reference what's the temperature?
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

6C at 7.30pm...but a freezing wind. Rain doesn't help. Me brolley is not coping either and keeps threatening to invert.The coldness of the ground can be felt through shoes and socks.
Thank heavens I am fortified by Red Wine.
What conditions may be like in the wee small hours doesn't bear thinking about. ( might have to get the "lady-jar" out :biggrin2: )
The walk to facilities takes about 3 mins each way. The ladies facilities are on the windy side of the building to.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

What you get used to of course, if it's 10 degrees warmer than that here we would all be in T shirts, (apart from Stanley who would still have his vest) :extrawink: Late Winter for you I suppose heading for Spring, wont be long before it will be too hot again. I have a ladies attachment for my bottle as well. I can see an attraction when we get the tent back out, we will be a two bottle couple, even less fun from a tent in the rain. :extrawink:
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

It's just that we are being blasted from weather coming from the Antarctic in our current weather pattern ( for the fourth time this winter), and there are no weather stations in the sea between us and the Antarctic...
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Is this kind of weather pattern normal for your location Maz or would you consider it extreme? Much like our unseasonal heat blasts here in the UK.
Ian
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 10 Aug 2019, 07:07 Once again you leave me feeling exhausted! Glad you solved the pizza! It sounds like Quatermass.....
It felt like quatermass! All quite now, neighbours returned home, dishwasher on. Time for a brew and a sit down
Last edited by Sue on 10 Aug 2019, 16:16, edited 1 time in total.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Marilyn wrote: 10 Aug 2019, 10:30 6C at 7.30pm...but a freezing wind. Rain doesn't help. Me brolley is not coping either and keeps threatening to invert.The coldness of the ground can be felt through shoes and socks.
Ah a good Rochdale early Spring day 😆
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

B8330A8A-8DD8-462A-A16E-F574C3126ECA.jpeg
temperature over 430 degrees C
2B24AC56-FDFD-4E01-ADFF- DIY pizzas, the neighbours kids dive in. 66D1A2556049.jpeg
A7F30B7C-E2F6-492D-8DE8-0374F6D77D15.jpeg
7F8AD7F3-EB55-4C05-BF76-4B35E8AA76A1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Pizza looks great, wish I could get that here. Yesterday one of my daughters sent me a picture of her home made apple crumble with custard. Why do these people torture me? :smile:

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”