Post by Sue »

Frightening times Stanley!
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Stanley »

Hang in there Sue, things are going the right way at the moment.
I laid the groundwork for two articles.
Otherwise normal routines.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

It depends what you perceive as the right way, I see the devil and the deep blue sea, and I don’t particularly fancy either out come unless we can have a new referendum and no one is promising that.

What a day of rain and wind yesterday was. Bob and I did a short walk in the morning and got back just before the first cloud burst. The weather pattern at no time followed what was forecast as I was watching carefully due to loads of washing to dry. The forecast changed on an almost half hourly basis from 2% chance of rain to 62%. In fact it rained solid all afternoon varying from light shower to torrential downpour and so cold too! The wind was exceptionally strong too.

Thus I filled my afternoon with sewing. Having not tackled this garment for almost 9 weeks I really had to think about what I was doing. Progress was eventually made, but it was slow. I just have the sleeves to put in then its finishing of buttons, buttonholes and hems.

Its due to be fine this morning so once the bin men have emptied my brown garden waste bin I can continue with the big garden tidy up . Politics will happen wether I watch during the day or not. :sad:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sue, by right way I mean away from a No Deal crash out. Everything else is in the lap of the gods.
I am frying sausages at the moment. Jack approves, they are his....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Today I'm heading for Wyke to follow "Mary's Wartime Walk" through Judy Woods which we helped set up as a memorial to Mum and Dad. Today it is 75 years since they were married in Wyke and as they always celebrated their Wedding Anniversary I like to keep up the tradition. 🙂

This is a special photo for me as my great grandmother is there. Born in Bradford in 1868 she took over my great grandfather's business of selling green groceries from a handcart when he died of exhaustion in 1910. She married again late in life to a chap with a bit of money and survived him as well.
40882596_1377491728953954_2584903303770931200_o.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I hope you have a good day Wendy. I am a bit worried about the grass cutting though.... You might miss a window.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Stanley wrote: 05 Sep 2019, 07:58 I hope you have a good day Wendy. I am a bit worried about the grass cutting though.... You might miss a window.
So am I! It's still very wet underfoot though and I'm hoping for a dryer weekend. :good:
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Lovely photo, Wendy. ( just love the outfits...despite being a "war" wedding, with so many things being hard to get hold of)
Is great gran 3rd from the left?
So are your Grandparents on the right?
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

We have had a busy few days. Spent 3 nights in Townsville catching up with my long time friend and her husband ( we met when our sons started kindy on the same day...aged 4). Her son committed suicide 5 years ago, which is so very sad, but I can share her grief because I loved him too, and we both find it so easy to chat about him, which I think helps her.
It was a whirlwind few days ( ate too much and kept long hours!) today we started heading home and met up with other friends for dinner. They travel slowly and we leave them on Saturday morning as they begin their 6 week trip home in their car and caravan. We need to be home in just over a fortnight, so shall be doing longer drives and shorter stays along the way.
I am so tired! In bed by 7.30pm tonight, but all 4 of us are off on a bike ride at 08.30am tomorrow. ( these friends are serious bike riders so it will be quite a hike I think but we may finally have the advantage with our electric bikes!)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

My wife has family in Townsville, we've never met them we just know they are there :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Marilyn wrote: 05 Sep 2019, 09:25 Lovely photo, Wendy. ( just love the outfits...despite being a "war" wedding, with so many things being hard to get hold of)
Is great gran 3rd from the left?
So are your Grandparents on the right?
Yes Maz, that's great gran. From the left :-

Dennis my Dad's brother, Clare his big sister, Gt grandma Clara and Grandad Trossell. (Grandma Trossell had recently died which is why Dad was home on compassionate leave ....it took so long for him to get the leave and to travel from the Middle East that she had been gone a couple of months by the time he reached home.) Dad, Mum and Dads pal Jim grinning behind them, Mum's sister Amy, Grandma Eastwood, Grandad Eastwood and Mum's brother William who emigrated to Canada in the early fifties but sadly died of a heart attack soon after.

My grandparents would only have been in their early fifties but they look so old. Both grandads went through WW1, one as a signaler on trawlers minesweeping the Tyne and my Mum's dad in the trenches of the Somme with the KOYLIs.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Started the day by recovering from my router dying during the night. I have established all services except for testing the smart TV's connection, that will come later together with contacting Talk talk and asking for a new router.
Shopping day as usual and catching up with normal routines!
Wendy, I suspect you'll get a chance to play with the new mower...... Good luck with it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

We finally got revenge on our friends with our electric bikes. It was priceless. ( I can't tell you how many times we have struggled to keep up with them. We sailed past them on the hills of course.)
All having little naps this afternoon. Walking down to watch a local bird feeding display in the park at 4 pm...then it's Happy Hour...then we are doing seperate things for dinner ( we are cooking our own and they choose to eat out.
We leave them tomorrow. They are staying another two or three days and heading off on an all day boat cruise in the morning. We are heading South to tomorrow night's camp site.
I spent some time cleaning up the pantry in the van and making a shopping list. Then I sorted my clothes storage, so I am all neat again now. Tonight I shall wipe out the fridge ready for new stocks tomorrow as we head out of town.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Aching all over from walking Wednesday morning ( i don’t think that will have caused it) pilates Wednesday evening and yoga yesterday, but I think the real culprit is the 4 hours gardening yesterday tidying the back garden as my hands ache from all the cutting and pulling. Its half done but is now sufficiently tidy to enjoy it and see the flowers of the fuchsias and hydrangea. I felt I had to take advantage of the nice day. Three of the sodden pots of geraniums I have cut back and put in the greenhouse to recover. They had got buried in overgrown foliage and gone rather brown and mushy. Its all now not quite ship shape but not bad. The front garden just needs a good weeding and I shall tackle that on Saturday.

Later in the afternoon I chilled out with an hours sewing. One sleeve is now in my top

Today is the first art of the season followed by lunch with friends. Bob is at the model engineers tonight and I have taken the opportunity of another yoga class. This one is all about relaxation and slow movement.it will go down well with my aching body.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I hope it works Sue. I admire your attitude! was me I'd be considering whether my body was trying to tell me something. I would do this while lying down. Different strokes....
I was wrong about Wendy's grass cutting, it's wet and windy and still raining steadily. My advice is to have a lie down instead. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Recovering from yesterday and aiming for article writing.
I'll bet Wendy was out with the mower after dinner! (It was sunny and stopped raining.)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

No she wasn't out with the mower! She was chasing a prescription for eye drops which wasn't at the Earby Surgery where the request was put in on Monday it was in Colne at the partner surgery in the new health centre. What a good job I have a car and could drive to Colne to collect it. No explanation as to why it was there and no apology.
I then decided to chase up a possible appointment at the Opthamology Dept in Burnley General. It's over three weeks since I was referred to the emergency eye clinic and following that I received a quick appointment at Blackburn for a field of vision test and an optic nerve scan, so I was expecting a date to see a consultant about the results asap. How very naive of me!! I was told yesterday that it could be January before I get to see anyone. That really spoilt my day because I am extremely worried about what might be happening in my eyes and what I can do about it!
I am a great believer in the NHS but the next step was to phone my doctor's surgery to discuss a referral to a private consultant, so I now have a telephone conversation with a doctor booked ....a week on Monday. :smile:
By the time I had calmed down enough to stop wanting to throw things across the room it was nearly 5 pm and I sat down with a gin and tonic.
Today ...book launch for Stephanie's new book on Earby Cricket Club this morning and grass cutting this afternoon!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 06 Sep 2019, 07:09 I hope it works Sue. I admire your attitude! was me I'd be considering whether my body was trying to tell me something. I would do this while lying down. Different strokes....
I was wrong about Wendy's grass cutting, it's wet and windy and still raining steadily. My advice is to have a lie down instead. :biggrin2:
My body is trying to tell me something Stanley ie you haven’t done anything for over 7 weeks. I was fine after a warm shower. It was a very kind relaxing yoga classes, concentrating on stretches and relaxation and a long lie down at the end in guided relaxation with a little neck and shoulder massage by the teacher. A nice way to recover from a busy week the few yoga positions I did were so much better than the day before as my body re-accustoms to the movements. Its just like that first games session first week back at school but not as intense.

I shall potter into Rochdale this morning as I need a Thank you card for my pilates teacher who has retired but was so encouraging and made my return to regular exercise such fun. I also need some buttons for my new top. Erin and Claire are popping round this afternoon for an hour or two. It will be good to see them. If time and weather allows I may do a bit of weeding in the front garden.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Wendyf wrote: 07 Sep 2019, 06:20 She was chasing a prescription for eye drops which wasn't at the Earby Surgery where the request was put in on Monday it was in Colne at the partner surgery in the new health centre. What a good job I have a car and could drive to Colne to collect it. No explanation as to why it was there and no apology.
This 'not in stock' appears to be the trend on slightly offbeat items. I pick my common ones up at boots but on straying from norm its a different story, twice I've been told "Perhaps Asda may have it". Which they didn't.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Wendyf wrote: 07 Sep 2019, 06:20 No she wasn't out with the mower! She was chasing a prescription for eye drops which wasn't at the Earby Surgery where the request was put in on Monday it was in Colne at the partner surgery in the new health centre. What a good job I have a car and could drive to Colne to collect it. No explanation as to why it was there and no apology.
I then decided to chase up a possible appointment at the Opthamology Dept in Burnley General. It's over three weeks since I was referred to the emergency eye clinic and following that I received a quick appointment at Blackburn for a field of vision test and an optic nerve scan, so I was expecting a date to see a consultant about the results asap. How very naive of me!! I was told yesterday that it could be January before I get to see anyone. That really spoilt my day because I am extremely worried about what might be happening in my eyes and what I can do about it!
I am a great believer in the NHS but the next step was to phone my doctor's surgery to discuss a referral to a private consultant, so I now have a telephone conversation with a doctor booked ....a week on Monday. :smile:
By the time I had calmed down enough to stop wanting to throw things across the room it was nearly 5 pm and I sat down with a gin and tonic.
Today ...book launch for Stephanie's new book on Earby Cricket Club this morning and grass cutting this afternoon!
What a nightmare Wendy. I have to say I was not happy with Burnley eye department for both my parents. Mixed up appointments, broken promises, in accurate information , and long unexplained time delays. In Mums case she died before her cataract treatment because of these issues. I hope you get something sorted.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 07 Sep 2019, 06:20 She was chasing a prescription for eye drops which wasn't at the Earby Surgery where the request was put in on Monday it was in Colne at the partner surgery in the new health centre. What a good job I have a car and could drive to Colne to collect it. No explanation as to why it was there and no apology.
The technology should be in place to send the prescription directly to a nominated pharmacy, there shouldn't be a requirement to collect the prescription from the surgery. I presume Earby use the same, or similar, software as Barnoldswick.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's a bummer Wendy and I don't know what to say. I hope you get some comfort from the consultant.
Writing went by the board this morning as shopping and cooking took over. These things have to be done!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Big Kev wrote: 07 Sep 2019, 07:04
The technology should be in place to send the prescription directly to a nominated pharmacy, there shouldn't be a requirement to collect the prescription from the surgery. I presume Earby use the same, or similar, software as Barnoldswick.
I'm not a regular at the surgery and haven't got myself on to the digital system yet. The drops, which lower pressure in the eye, were prescribed at the emergency eye clinic but they are almost finished so I had to request another prescription from the surgery. Until confirmed by a consultant that I need the drops on a regular basis they don't go on a repeat prescription and have to be requested and the prescription written by the surgery's own pharmacist. The pharmacist was in Colne Surgery on Wednesday when she did it, so that's where it stayed. :smile:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Ah right...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

The new medical centre in Colne is a fine place. The waiting room for the surgery is on the top floor with magnificent views, I might choose to go there next time.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”