disused burial ground

Kingy

disused burial ground

Post by Kingy »

Some of you will be aware of Seddon Homes’s proposed development of 50+ new houses on the site of the disused Silentnight offices in Salterforth.

This development as it stands will increase the size of my village by nearly 50%. Part of the development covers the car park area closest to the village centre, built over the location of what was Broadstones Farm.

When Kelbrook New Rd was built rumour has it that 3 graves were exhumed in what was/is an old burial ground adjacent to Broadstones.

Does anyone out there know anything about this graveyard? The implications re- said burials are very important to my village.Kathryn Hughs, Pendle planning officer, seemed content at a recent village meeting with the news that Lancashire’s Archaeologist Record has no knowledge of this burial site. How would Lancashire know? Salterforth is, was and as far as I am concerned always will be in Yorkshire.

Please help. We don’t have long, area planning meeting is at the end of this month.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: disused burial ground

Post by Stanley »

Peter mailed me and I have had a furtle but can't find anything. Only thing I can think of is that one time there may have been an informal burial ground as there was no church. Early Quakers perhaps?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Pete,
Didn't the Whiteoaks have Broadstones ? Do you know if anyone is in touch with them as they might have some knowledge? Is it worth following this up from
http://www.lfhhs-pendleandburnley.org.u ... 0BWK.DB.01
Town / Index no : Barnoldswick - BWK.DB.01
Map references :
Name : Dissenters Burial Ground
Denomination : Dissenters
Address : Barnoldswick (formerly in Yorkshire)
Incumbent : -
Telephone : -

Parish Registers at County Record Office, listed in "Finding Folk"
Burials 1785-1837
Local Sources for Copies of Parish Registers
B 1785-1837, Colne & Nelson Libraries
Graveyard
The location of this burial ground is unknown unless it is part of Gill Churchyard (BWK.CE.02)
Memorial Inscriptions
-
Local Copies of Memorial Inscriptions
- Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Did burial grounds have to be registered in the C17th through C19th ? Consecrated Grounds presumable noted at Canterbury or York ( Lambeth ? ) possibly transfered to National Archives.

Charity Commission unhelpfully has http://www.charitycommission.gov.uk/Sho ... ryNumber=0

Return to “Local History Topics”