Global Moderator

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Stanley »

Glass has fallen to 968mb.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

27C today :smile:
Sadly we’ve had Bushfires burning in our Adelaide Hills since Thursday. Scores of properties and 25,000 hectares of land burnt. One fire is still out of control. Depending on wind direction, we have been getting the smoke.
D5852830-DE4E-4A0D-BA67-2AC903C8C364.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ah that answers my question Cathy.
A bit of light rain in the afternoon but otherwise OK. It was dry and breezy at 20:00 and it's the same this morning. The glass is up a bit at 971mb. The forecast is for a cloudy day, rain at about 09:00 then a chance of a shower afterwards. The wind is southerly and light giving a high of 6C and a low of 3C with a -3C chill most of the day.
Outlook for the next five days is similar weather. Tomorrow is the shortest day, the Winter Solstice and we can expect more daylight. About time, it was almost dark at 15:30 yesterday and will be the same today.
06:30. A very acceptable walk on a cool, calm dry morning under broken cloud with a crescent moon.
Lots of items of interest this morning! Barlick was evidently partying last night, some of them going home as I went out. One very nubile young woman almost in a dress that left nothing to the imagination tottered past me on Post office corner on incredibly high heels. I reflected that she must have a constitution like a cart horse! Several pools of vomit. Then a strange sight, what seemed to be a helium balloon covered with small lights trapped in a tree on the Green. Next was the fact that the old VW and the battered stock car that have graced the front of the Central Garage for a while have gone and been replaced with a relatively tidy looking red car, an improvement in the townscape. On Church street the Polish shop is now Pasha's barbers, 'now open'.
Last but not least the middle section of the eastern emitter in Town Square is now fully functional.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Sounds as if the Turkish Barbers have arrived in Barlick!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Wendyf wrote: 21 Dec 2019, 07:03 Sounds as if the Turkish Barbers have arrived in Barlick!
It has been open for about a week and has been getting good reviews in FB land.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 21 Dec 2019, 09:34
Wendyf wrote: 21 Dec 2019, 07:03 Sounds as if the Turkish Barbers have arrived in Barlick!
It has been open for about a week and has been getting good reviews in FB land.
Do they do the 'burning thing' with ear and nose hair?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I think so Kev, they have a FB page with all their services.

Pasha's Barbers - Barnoldswick

Have a look at Blood Donor page Kev
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday's rain was light. At 20:00 it was overcast, light breeze and dry. First thing this morning it's the same, but a bit later we had a light shower. The glass fell to 968mb yesterday but has recovered slightly to 970mb. The forecast is for a rainy start until 05;)0 then overcast dray and sunny spells with rain returning at nightfall. The wind is a constant light WSW giving 6C for a high and 5C for the low with a -2C wind chill as the wind gets up a little later. The outlook is the same, overcast mild and showery.
06:00. A good walk, dry, calm and mild. A few Party Animals were disgorged from a taxi, one in very poor condition. Chacun a son gout.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

It's Winter.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

But the days are going to get longer. Whoopee!

We've had heavy rain for a long time now and hope that it might ease off a bit. The Somerset Levels are flooded, of course. The local streams (small rivers) have turned into torrents of brown water. Our porch carpet got soaked because the door to the outside decided to leak in the middle of torrential rain blowing straight at it. we had to call out the company that fitted it to solve the problem. Fortunately they're a local company that we use for all our window and door fitting and they come out without charge to correct faults.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Very hazy here due to smoke from bushfires farther afield. Woke to news this morning that 72 homes have been lost. Tragic news.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We are lucky in Barlick, no high winds or heavy rain and certainly no bush fires!
Yesterday was as the forecast predicted, a bit of light rain at nightfall. At 20:00 it was damp but not raining, breezy and broken cloud. This morning there are signs of a recent shower, overcast and breezy. The glass has jumped up to 990mb. The forecast is for a dry overcast day. The constant moderate west wind gives a high of 7C and a low of 4C with a -5C wind chill for much of the day so it will feel colder. The foreseeable outlook is for similar quiet dull weather.
06:20. There was a light shower shortly before we went out but I ignored it and we had a Crombie walk. Dry, broken cloud and a very cold breeze, I'll believe the -3C wind chill in the forecast. On the whole though, not bad for the time of year! It could be worse.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The occasional showers were easily dodged yesterday but not the wind, it was bitter! At 20:00 it was overcast, breezy and dry. There'd been a recent shower first thing and it's steady rain now. The glass rose all day yesterday to over 1000mb but is falling now. At present it's on 997mb. The forecast is for rain until 08:00. The wind is light and variable visiting all points of the compass before setting in the west at midday. High of 6C and a low of 4C with a -3C wind chill. Tomorrow could be brighter with a cold night but then reverting to similar weather as the last few days.
05:40. We went out early because There was a break in the rain. It was a good call, we had a dry quiet walk until just before we got home when the rain started again. I wanted a good start this morning because I have a busy schedule of cooking, shed and foot care! Not a bad morning, nothing to hold back the madding crowds from even more shopping. I had a word with the staff waiting to open the Co-op and they tell me that they will be open on Boxing Day as usual for those poor souls who are dying of starvation...
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I made a poor outdoor clothing choice for pony putting out and round the field dog walk..... went for warmth rather than waterproofing as it just looked dampish. My coat needed a wash anyway. :laugh5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Those showers were very variable Wendy. Nasty cold rain if you were out in it!
At 20:00 it was breezy, dry and broken cloud. Same first thing this morning and noticeably colder. Same now but there has been a light shower. (Just had to blow my keyboard clean with the compressed air, bugger cards with glitter on them. It gets everywhere and was distracting me.)
The glass is up on 1014mb and still rising. The forecast is for a cloudy start possibly breaking to give a bit of sun at lunchtime. The constant light wind starts WSW but this evening becomes SSE giving a high of 6C and a low of 3C with a -3C wind chill. So a quiet dry day but wrap up warm!
06:00. A very acceptable walk on a dry morning under broken cloud with a light wind. About 3C with the wind chill so not bad at all. This and better will do.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A very acceptable Xmas Day. At 20:00 we had a light breeze and it was dry under broken cloud. The same first thing this morning and it hasn't changed yet. The glass rose yesterday but has fallen back this morning to 1014mb, same as yesterday. The outlook forecasts for today were for rain but they have modified that now, overcast until noon then a chance of light showers for the rest of the day. The constant ESE wind starts light than moderate and gives us a cooler day, high of 5C and a low of 4C with a wind chill of as much as -4C depending on wind strength. So wrap up warm! No great changes in the outlook, quiet cold weather with no extremes.
06:10. A very quiet and acceptable walk. Dry, overcast an d a light east wind. Where you were exposed to the wind it was cold enough to make your ears tingle! Only saw one other human about, my mate Brian with his Lurcher bitch. Everyone else is no doubt rugged up in bed. Can't blame them!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Just had our second, short walk. Very few people about and that wind cuts like a knife!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Light rain came in at noon as forecast. Didn't last long. At 20:00 it was breezy, cold and dry under broken cloud. First thing this morning it was the same. Dry at the moment but we have had a light shower. The glass has risen to 1019 and is holding steady on that. The forecast is overcast but dry all day except for a spell of rain late morning. The wind is light, constant and SE backing to S later. It gives a high of 7C and a low of 6C with a -2C wind chill all day. The outlook into 2020 is for similar overcast weather, mainly dry.
06:00. Overcast and damp but not raining and almost calm. I've had worse at this time of year.
I met Ric Starkey coming out of his house to run to work at Foulridge. (Ringo from the site) It struck me that he would be at work by this time ready for work, same time it takes me to walk my 1 mile + round Valley Gardens. But I suppose it's all relative!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

No need to wrap-up here Stanley, we are having another heatwave... :(
B88E10EC-27DE-4231-A9F2-28F9601D9F8C.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I posted before I saw yours Cathy. Hard luck. I noted there was a thunderstorm up near Sydney yesterday. I'll bet someone was glad to see that!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Hi Ringo, hope all is well. :smile:

He probably won’t see this, haha
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I don't know.... they tell me he is heavily into Facebook these days.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a quiet and acceptable day. Never saw the forecast rain. At 20:00 we had a light breeze, broken cloud and dry. The same first thing this morning and it hasn't changed. The glass is up on 1027mb and is still rising slowly. The forecast is for a very quiet overcast dry day. The constant SSW wind is light to moderate giving a high of 8C and a low of 6C with a -3C wind chill all day. Very quiet settled weather and the outlook is for the same but perhaps a bit colder at night.
06:05. A very quiet acceptable walk on a mild morning under an overcast sky, calm almost and dry. This and better will do nicely!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was another very acceptable day. At 20:00 we had a light wind, overcast, mild and dry. Same thing this morning but the wind is stronger, just looked outside and there is no change. The glass is a shade lower on just below 1026mb and steady. The forecast is for a dry, bright but overcast day all day. The constant SW wind is moderate giving a high of 8C and a low of 2C with a wind chill of up to -3C depending on wind strength. Another quiet acceptable day.
06:05. A good pain-free walk on a dry morning under broken cloud. A good breeze but it's not cold.
A good thing for the group of about eight teenagers in the bus shelter on Station Road. They had evidently partied without arranging transport. One was in a tee shirt with bare arms... Half an hour later as we returned there were only about three left, the others presumably have started walking. Not my idea of a good night out but then I'm old.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”