Shed Matters 3

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Shed Matters 3

Post by Stanley »

This morning O carried on with making the connecting rod. I cut the stock back to what I needed m put the shape in it, polished it and then parted it off. The image is of the rod ready for fitting accompanied by the remainder of the stock. That took an hour and a quarter but I think I have it right with no mistakes so now I deserve my breakfast!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The first thing I did was get my guillotine out of the front room, set it up in the kitchen and cut rubber sheet to glue on the bottom of the two oak plinths I have sat waiting. I've cut it and glued it with impact adhesive and now it's sat to cure for 24 hours....
Next I marked the connecting rod and drilled it ready for fitting to the crosshead. My next job is to make the crank pin bearing and fit it but I'm not starting that today. That's tomorrow's agenda! The task now is breakfast!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

First this morning I sanded the two plinths I had left in the vice yesterday. Ten I trimmed any excess off the rubber base. Next I shifted attention yo the connecting rod. I had to cut down the small end so that it was a good fit in the slot in the crosshead but those two cuts had to be exactly perpendicular to the drilling for the crosshead pin. I achieved that by taking a chance on a very insecure grip in the vise. I made my cuts very carefully and quietly and got away with it. The last image at closing time shows the correctly oriented con rod in place on the crosshead pin with the castings for the bearing lay on the surface plate in front of the bed. I know what my task is tomorrow..... Now for breakfast!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Only one image needed this morning. I think you all know that the reason I get such good results out of my El Cheapo mill/drill and cutters rescued from scrap yards is that I am not afraid of popping the cutters in the Clarkson Tool and Cutter Grinder and making sure they are razor sharp and the right geometry. So that's where I started this morning doing an in depth sharpen of two end mills after backing them both off and gulleting them.
The result was that I could make a good job of milling all the faces of the crank pin bearing castings that needed it and the image is of the bearing brasses cut to size and ready for further work. My business now is breakfast!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Again, only one image needed. This morning's task was simple but to do it accurately needed a lot of care. It was to put witness marks on the two halves of the bearing do some careful measuring and marking then drill the two halves to accept the 4BA bolts that will hold the bearing on to the end of the con rod. That took me almost an hour, I have to check everything so many times but as you can see it all turned out OK. Now for breakfast!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

More work on the crank bearing. The first thing was to mount the half of the bearing that carries the oil filler in the chuck so that the horn on top was as near central as possible. Not easy because the piece isn't square. Then drill it tapping size for the 1/4" X 32tpi plug I shall make for it and then extend that hole with an 1/8" bore into the middle of the bronze. That will be the oil passage. Then find a piece of brass rod and make it the right size for the plug and thread it to fit the bearing. Once that was done turn the plug to the correct diameter and knurl the head before cutting it off from the stock. We now have a bearing that's ready for boring to fit the crank pin and then fitting to the foot of the con rod..... There's always more operations than you think to even the smallest component. Now for breakfast!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

More progress on the crank bearing and con rod. I started by boring the bearing 3'8" to suit the crank pin then countersinking the back brass to allow the heads of the bolts to sink in to give me enough thread for the foot of the con-rod. Then some careful measuring and marking of the con rod and drilling it clearance for the 4BA bolts. That completed I have set the rod and bearing up for the first part of cutting the foot down to fit the bearing and be capable of fitting in the gap between the webs of the crankshaft. That's for tomorrow, now I am going to address breakfast!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I trimmed the first side off the con rod foot using the set up I left you with yesterday. Then I marked the other side and took the bearing off so I could hold the foot in the mill vice while I trimmed the other side. I trimmed the foot back a bit in the lathe so I could get a full nut hold on the bolts and then built the bearing up on the crank pin and then attached the con rod to the crosshead. It was all a very close fit so I spent a few minutes easing and oiling until it was a perfect fit. The throw is about right but to make sure I shall take the register off the back lid. I ended up with it in the lathe ready to do this. A very good morning and everything is a good close fit. I have earned my breakfast!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I started the morning by refining the back lid, reducing the register on it and reducing the thickness a little. Then I shafted attention to the piston rod. It needed shortening 1/8" to make sure it's travel was equidistant from each end in the cylinder. Once that was done I packed the groove in the piston with steam packing and refitted the piston and rod. The rest of the hour and a half I spent in the shed this morning was spent on fitting the studs in the rear of the cylinder, putting the packing on the studs and mounting the back lid. I shall attend to the packing of the piston rod gland tomorrow.
I have one mishap to report. I dropped a grub screw out of a die holder and couldn't find it. I have a replacement and all I can do is hope the small screw turns up! Now for breakfast.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My first task this morning was to install the packing in the piston rod gland. Dead easy..... I don't think! It involved re-threading the studs and in all it took me just over half an hour to fit it to my satisfaction. Next I took the bed off the base and fitted the oak plinth to the base in place of the temporary plinth. It's beginning to look like an engine! That was well over an hour, now for breakfast.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I started the morning by trimming the studs on the back lid. Then I turned my attention to the eccentric strap because |I need to make that before the eccentric. Now for breakfast.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

On with the eccentric strap. First I refined the shape by filing to give me enough room for the nuts on the shoulders of the bolt locations. Then I drilled for the oil hole, making a cup with the centre drill and piercing through to the centre with a 1/8" drill. Next I drilled for the 5BA bolts that will hold the two halves of the strap together when It has been split. I fitted the bolts to make sure I had room for the heads and the nuts. Then I marked the strap with witness marks for when it is in two halves. Nest I cut out the pocket for the end of the flat eccentric rod, 5/16". Before I put the normal cutter back in the mill I gave it a quick lick in the Clarkson T&C grinder. That's enough for now. I want my breakfast!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

More work on the strap. First some checks on dimensions and then mark up for splitting. Into the VM for splitting with the slitting saw, my only way to guarantee a straight cut! Then clean up the cuts and replace the bolts. Next I popped it under the pillar drill and drilled and tapped for the 5BA CS screw that will fasten the strap to the rod.
After that I gathered up the candidates for the next lot of machining, the eccentric and the support for the valve rod and the governor. That was a productive hour and now I want my breakfast.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Only one image needed today. This morning I made the eccentric and fitted it, It is ready now to accept the eccentric strap when that is bored but first I will make the eccentric rod and the valve rod support. That's for tomorrow, now for breakfast.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

This morning I took a piece of flat bar that was nowhere near the dimensions needed for the Eccentric rod and started working on it. First I refined the end that connects with the clevis on the end of the valve rod and then I measured and drilled for the 5BA clearance hole that accepts the CS screw on the strap. That included countersinking the hole. Then I cut the rod to length and had to reduce the width of the strap end to 5/16". I had almost reached that at closing time but refuse to be rushed. I shall finish the rod and fit it tomorrow morning. The next job this morning is breakfast!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I started this morning by spending over 30 minutes getting the shape of the end of the eccentric rod to an exact fit in the strap. This was done using a file and emery paper. Once I was satisfied I had that right I set the VM up for boring the strap out to the size needed to fit the eccentric. That got me to closing time. I was ready to bore but will leave that until tomorrow when there is no pressure on me. Now for breakfast!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Only one image needed this morning. I bored the eccentric strap and fitted it to the eccentric to check the fit. It's perfect. So I fitted the rod and mounted the eccentric on the engine. I am ready now to fettle and fit the governor stand. Finally I took the boring head off the VM and replaced it with the normal cutter. Now for breakfast!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I started by rough fettling the support casting and doing my best to cut the faces square and in the right plane. Then I drilled it for the valve rod and followed that by marking and drilling it 5BA clearance for the bolts that will fasten it to the bed. I am ready now to mark, drill and tap the bed 5BA for those bolts but that's for tomorrow. Now for breakfast!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

This morning I started by adjusting the length of the valve rod and the amount of thread on the clevis end until I was satisfied I had the right dimensions for a runner. Then I built the valve train with the support installed and when I had that secure I could mark and drill for the first of the 4BA bolts. (That's right, just as in the previous engine I decided 4BA was a better size for that fastening.) I fitted that bolt and tightened it up then checked the stroke and running of the valve rod again before drilling and tapping for the second bolt through the support. That made sure it was in the right place. Next I set the valve for running and then put the valve chest lid on with its gasket. That tightened the action of the valve slightly but this only made it a better fit on the face of the valve. That leaves me with finishing touched tomorrow and then god bless us we have another engine! Now for breakfast.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The last fitting job that needed doing was to pack the valve rod gland. That was a fiddly job and took most of the first half hour in the shed. Then a check of all the nuts and the engine is declared finished and joins its mates on the kitchen table. (How many engines is too many?)
Next was a tidy up all spare parts put away, the lathe cleaned and I looked up the candidates for making the crankshaft for the next engine. The larger piece is obviously big enough and just need turning down to size. The smaller one is a piece I have always rejected before but when I measure it and check against my finished engines it is just long enough to serve as stock for the next shaft. I measured again as a check and made the decision, it will do! (I already have a plinth ready for it.) Now for breakfast and I shall have to order a set of castings. It has t6o be done because I can't possibly die while I have an engine building..... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I started the morning by vacuuming the floor in the shed, cleaning the bench and oiling both CI surface plates before fitting a clean tablecloth. Then I changed the chuck on Mrs Harrison taking the 4 jaw SC off and installing the big original 3 jaw SC. I found the rough centre of the 12" X 3" bar that is going to give stock for two crankshafts and installed it in the lathe with a little shield to contain the chips on the bed of the lathe. I made one pass but then it was knocking off time. I have decided to make the stock for two more crankshafts and this will keep me busy until I order and take delivery of a new set of castings. Time for breakfast.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Just one pic needed. This morning was dead simple. Reduce the 3 1/4" stock to 2 3/16". This is done and it took an hour and a quarter of solid turning to do it. The bar is hot at the moment as is the swarf. Tomorrow I shall cut the bar in two, clean the lathe and start turning the remaining piece down to the same diameter. I deserve my breakfast!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

On with the reduction of the stock. I started by cutting off the 6" that is turned down and then shovelling all the chips into the bin. Then I reversed the remaining 6" in the chuck, got set up and started turning that down to size. That took over an hour and is where I left it. Now for breakfast!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Final stages of reduction of stock for the crankshafts. I roughed out the stock I have set up and then reduced it to the final diameter of the crank webs, 2", but I gave it and extra 20 thou because it was hot. The second pic is the three slugs, the two on the left need to be reduced to web diameter, I shall do that tomorrow. I finished up by installing a new tip as the one that has done all the work broke on the final pass. Then I cleaned up the chips on the lathe so I have a clean start tomorrow. Now for breakfast!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The next set of castings et arrivee.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Crafts”