Seen in the News

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Seen in the News

Post by Stanley »

It's understandable David. How about Sunak's £400million subsidy to Rwanda? (So far, more will follow.)
I offer two news ite3ms without comment. First have a look at THIS and ask yourself what it has to do with us in mainland UK.
People in Northern Ireland will face severe disruption on Thursday as more than 100,000 public sector workers including teachers, nurses and bus drivers go on strike. It is expected to be the biggest strike in Northern Ireland in 50 years. The co-ordinated action between 16 trade unions will see workers walk out in ongoing disputes over pay. The strike will halt buses and trains, close schools and severely disrupt health services. People have been advised to take care to reduce the chances of requiring treatment in the "significantly reduced health service", and to only make essential journeys as the combination of icy conditions and a lack of road gritting will make driving hazardous.
That seems to be a bit bleeding obvious.
If you want similar news over here have a look at THIS
Ticket machines at train stations charge passengers more than double than what they'd cost online for some journeys, according to new analysis. Consumer group Which?'s research said some same-day rail tickets were 50% more expensive on average at stations. The best value fares were either unavailable or hidden among several options on many machines. Plans to close hundreds of rail ticket offices in England were scrapped in November after a public outcry. Prime Minister Rishi Sunak had said closing ticket offices was "the right thing for the British public and British taxpayers", before the government decided to ask train operators to withdraw the idea because it failed to meet high passenger standards. Currently, just one in six of the 1,766 train stations controlled by the government has a full time ticket office, according to industry figures.
They give an example of £66 being charged for a ticket to London from Holmes Chapel that was offered for £26 online. Is it any wonder the railways are in such trouble? no way to run a business.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

It's easy to be overloaded with 'news' at the moment, and not everyone has as much free time as I do..

For instance there is a live feed to the Post Office Horizon enquiry HERE
There is some world class squirming going on now. :smile: "I don't remember" is being used very often. :smile:

Remember 'The Knowledge'?
I read today that Mayor Khan is suspending the requirement for London taxi drivers to pass a basic English language test before being given a licence.
However I read that the latest Samsung phone has the ability to translate in real time from text or audio, so maybe it won't matter what language you speak in the future.

Re railway tickets. I copied this yesterday - timely I'd say. . .Welcome to the Brave New World. :smile:
tickets.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I could have sworn I responded to this yesterday....
The cartoon is spot on David. I take it you heard the news about the train ticket from Holmes Chapel to London that was £26 online but £66 from the ticket office?
I would have thought that it was essential for a London taxi driver to be able to speak the language..... Or could it be that the number of English speaking customers is declining.....?
See THIS for news about our latest winter storm.... (There seem to be more than usual....)
A dramatic change of weather is in store from this weekend, with weather warnings for strong winds and a new storm named by the Met Office. Storm Isha - the ninth named storm of the season - will bring heavy rain and strong winds following the ice and snow of the past week. The strongest winds are expected on Sunday night and into Monday morning, with two amber warnings issued. Conditions will also become milder, with Friday the last really cold day. The Met Office is expecting gusts of up to 80 mph (129km/h) in the areas covered by its amber warnings, and says injuries and a danger to life are likely from large waves and beach material being thrown onto coastal roads, sea fronts and buildings. The first warning is for much of southern Scotland, Northern Ireland, northern England, west Wales and south-west England, in force from 18:00 Sunday to 09:00 on Monday.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The leading news story this morning is THIS account of Netanyahu's comments on the possibility of a Palestinian State.
Benjamin Netanyahu has again insisted Israel should retain security control over all the Palestinian territories. The Israeli prime minister said this condition was "contrary" to a future Palestinian state being established. His comments on Saturday defied pressure on his government from the US and others to commit to future Palestinian statehood. Mr Netanyahu and US President Joe Biden discussed the future of the Palestinian territories in a call on Friday. The Israeli PM's latest intervention appeared to deepen a public divide between his government and the US over future governance of Gaza and the West Bank when the Gaza conflict comes to an end. The US believes a future Palestinian state alongside Israel - known as a "two-state solution" - is vital for long-term stability. But the White House acknowledged this week the US and Israeli governments "clearly see things differently".
I have believed from the beginning of this action, supposedly against HAMAS that in fact Netanyahu's intention is to, as far as possible, eliminate the Palestinians.
Is it still seen as anti-Semitic to hold these views? If so this is very mistaken. I support the existence of a Jewish state and homeland but not the elimination of the Palestinians. I don't see how the US can continue to support him particularly as it now becomes obvious that the consequences of the IDF campaign in Gaza are spreading all over the Middle East and even affecing inflation rates in the West.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I've never seen it as anti-Semitic to criticise Netanyahu and his far right political gang or the Israel Defence Force. In fact they are a threat to the Jewish people by provoking and perpetuating war in the Middle East, and especially by killing so many civilians. Jews need to throw him out of government and replace him with someone who will seek to bring peace to the region.

In another war-torn region I see today that there has been an explosion at a gas export terminal in Russia causing a large fire. The site is about 20 miles from the border with Estonia. Local residents said they heard a drone followed by several explosions. This is one of several drone attacks on Russia, possibly prompted by Ukraine. The reason I mention this is that Lord Dannatt, our former Chief of General Staff for the Army, wrote in The Times yesterday about the poor state of our armed forces. He said there is serious concern now in our military that Russia will attempt to take over parts of the countries on its eastern border, such as Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania. Drone attacks on Russian areas near these borders will provide him with the excuse to extend his `special operation' to those countries.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I agree with him Peter. Our armed forces have been neglected to the point where they are virtually non-existent. He's been pointing this neglect out for a long while but nobody is listening.....
I heard the Chief Rabbi complaining this morning that Palestinians are describing what the IDF is doing as 'genocide' So, if he was a Palestinian how would he describe it? It looks very close to it to me.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

THIS is what headed the UK news this morning.
Almost the whole of the UK is under weather warnings as strong winds from Storm Isha sweep in. Met Office amber warnings for all areas except London and parts of the South East are in place until 06:00. Gusts of up to 80mph (128km/h) are expected, posing a risk to life. The Met Office said it was rare for all of the UK to be under such an alert. A red warning for gusts of up to 100mph in parts of northern Scotland is also in place until the early hours. It warns of a "short spell of extremely strong winds leading to danger to life, structural damage and disruption" in an area stretching from Thurso and Wick in the north, Fraserburgh and Peterhead to the east and Cromarty and Nairn in the west.
As usual the North of Scotland gets the worst of it. I think Ian and I were out in the worst of it down here in the town in the afternoon at about two o'clock when we had stronger than usual winds and the rain absolutely siled down.
I note that the Atlantic low pressure system that gave us this storm picked up energy as it crossed the ocean which is on average warmer than usual because of global warming. This is going to happen more and more often so perhaps those 100mph winds in the North of Scotland are going to become commonplace.
Later at 05:00 and heard in the news. Ron De Santis has dropped out of the race and is now backing Trump who only has one rival, Nikki Haley former US ambassador to the UN. This is bad news I fear.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 21 Jan 2024, 10:28 I agree with him Peter. Our armed forces have been neglected to the point where they are virtually non-existent. He's been pointing this neglect out for a long while but nobody is listening.....
I found that further on in The Times there was a big article based on their journalists' discussions with the German Nato commander. He and his colleagues from other Nato countries are in deep discussions over the possible (they think likely) advance of Russian troops into the Russian speaking areas of the Baltic states. There's a lot of attention being given to the role of the Sulwaki Gap if/when the Russians make their first moves. He reminds us that the Baltic states have there backs to the sea which will make it difficult to get supplies from the west whereas Russia can easily and quickly build up an invasion force at the border. Sulwaki Gap

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Has anyone noted the similarities between what's happening now and what happened in 1937-1939? Then as now, anyone who flagged up the danger of a wider war was ignored. I find it extremely worrying.
I wrote that and then opened BBC News and found THIS
The US and UK have conducted a fresh series of joint air strikes against Houthi targets in Yemen. The Pentagon said Monday's strikes hit eight targets, including an underground storage site and Houthi missile and surveillance capability. The Iran-backed Houthis have been targeting ships they say are linked to Israel and the West that travel through the important Red Sea trade route. The US and UK said they were trying to protect the "free flow of commerce". A joint statement issued by the Pentagon confirmed "an additional round of proportionate and necessary strikes" against the Houthis. The statement added: "Our aim remains to de-escalate tensions and restore stability in the Red Sea, but let us reiterate our warning to Houthi leadership: we will not hesitate to defend lives and the free flow of commerce in one of the world's most critical waterways in the face of continued threats." This is the eighth strike by the US against Houthi targets in Yemen. It is the second joint operation with the UK, after joint strikes were carried out on 11 January. The joint statement said the strikes were carried out with support from Australia, Bahrain, Canada, and the Netherlands.
The aim of "protecting the free flow of commerce" sounds laudable but is not being achieved, The only thing that can do that is to sit down with the Houthis and address the root causes which are out of our control. The shipping has already diverted, the freight rates have gone up, Western rates of inflation are going to be hit no matter what the Allies do.
The bottom line is that the fire of aggressive actions is spreading throughout the Middle East and will continue to do so as long as a demented Netanyahu is in control in Israel and using the IDF to 'eliminate' HAMAS and any possibility of a 'Two State Solution'.
Now tell me why Peter and I shouldn't worry.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 23 Jan 2024, 03:54 Has anyone noted the similarities between what's happening now and what happened in 1937-1939? Then as now, anyone who flagged up the danger of a wider war was ignored. I find it extremely worrying.
On Saturday there was a 2-page article by Oliver Moody, Berlin correspondent at The Times and Sunday Times, describing the present awful state of German politics and society. I've not seen so much previously and it's shocking. Germany is heading for meltdown for many reasons.The economy is collapsing, politics is getting dangerous and the old right-wing nutters are gaining traction. People there are likening it to the 1920/30s and the police and security people have had to catch extremists who have been plotting a coup. And this is the country that has been second only to the USA in providing support and materiel to Ukraine. I can see Putin, who describes Ukraine as Nazi, spotting evidence to say Germany has returned to Nazism.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Tizer wrote: 23 Jan 2024, 10:48 Germany is heading for meltdown for many reasons.The economy is collapsing, politics is getting dangerous
Those of us who are a bit more 'inquisitive and adventurous' in our quest for the "news" are well aware of that - and have been for some time. You'll hear little of the troubles in Europe in the BBC output. They have an 'agenda'. Little on the enormous recent tractor protests in Germany, the Dutch policy towards their farmers, and the state of social relations in France.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Oh but you've got it all wrong Tripps. The BBC seek out the most important news worldwide. For example, they had a story near the top of the main page a few days ago... :smile:
`Russia: Cat thrown off train into snow found dead' BBC
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Tizer wrote: 23 Jan 2024, 12:20 Oh but you've got it all wrong Tripps. The BBC seek out the most important news worldwide.
Thanks for pointing that out Tizer. 'Preeshiate it '. :smile: Love the phrase ' a recent cold spell (-30 degrees).

We really are largely ignorant about Russia and the way of life of its people. I watch the chess daily from a Moscow chess club. - but that's really as far as it goes for me. I've recently come across a video about a Moscow supermarket. I couldn't find it - but there are lots on Youtube, and this one is worth a look. Russian supermarket

I doubt it is a 'Potemkin' shop ,just for the cameras, and as someone who's hobby is grocery shopping, it's impressive. It might be a bit overwhelming for some poor soul trying to find a cauliflower and some broccoli though. :laugh5:

PS I find there are today 114 Roubles to the GBP. The prices I see seem to be comparable to British shops.

PPS This is the video I found first - it's a Hypermarket Larger than any I've seen, even in France. Enormous range of products, but not too many customers for a Friday at 5.30pm, and almost no full sized shopping trollies. Perhaps they don't come in cars and have to carry their shopping home on public transport. (?). He 'protests a bit too much' about that I'd say, blaming the camera. :smile: Can't help thinking it's a bit like propaganda - but the shop seems real enough. :smile:

Last edited by Tripps on 23 Jan 2024, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Remember we were writing about these recently?..
`Stanley cups: Woman arrested for stealing $2,500 of quenchers' Stanley cups
It seems that in California you don't sneak into a shop and steal something then either hide it under your jacket or avoid the staff you just pick it up, tell the shop-owner you're not paying, and walk out.
I like the name `Adventure Quencher Travel Tumbler' but it's a bit longer than `cup'! :smile:
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I was in Home Bargains yesterday, topping up on Black Pudding and Welsh Miners' Cheddar, when I saw these.

Stanley Cup copies

No - I didn't buy one. Wasn't even tempted.
However - I didn't know that they kept drinks warm - so maybe next time. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I thoroughly approve any purchase of Blood Pudding or Cheddar David but couldn't possibly endorse 'Stanley Cups'.
THIS is what caught my attention this morning.... (Yes, I've seen the bad news from New Hampshire but am trying to ignore it.)
A senior Tory MP has called for his party to replace Rishi Sunak as prime minister or be "massacred" in the general election. In an article in the Telegraph, former cabinet secretary Sir Simon Clarke said the Conservatives needed a leader who "shares the instincts of the majority". Sir Simon, who rebelled on the Rwanda Bill, said the party has lost "key voters" by failing to be bold on immigration and government reform. Downing Street has yet to comment. Sir Simon is now the second former minister publicly calling for Mr Sunak to resign. Former education minister Dame Andrea Jenkyns submitted a letter of no confidence in the prime minister in November.
I've seen parties in trouble before but never anything like this. How can they pretend to be an effective government?
Please can we have an election as soon as possible.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Regarding `the bad news from New Hampshire', I'm clinging to one possible event that could prevent Trump becoming President again. We hear a lot of claims, especially from the Republicans, that Joe Biden is sliding into dementia. They should remember what we learnt about Trump back in his first run for the job. His doctors tell us he has outstanding health and no problems at all (but they get paid extremely well for saying that). He looks robust and full of energy, but he has an awful diet and literally lives on burgers and Coca-Cola. As I write there are 285 days to the US election. I suspect Trump's heart and arteries are probably beginning to suffer from his bad diet and as he gets increasingly excited about the election (and the court cases) his bad diet might catch up with him and he could drop dead suddenly from a heart attack or stroke. :smile:
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

"Mr Trump won 54.2% and Ms Haley 43.7% of the vote share." So - better than 52% plays 48% which is a relief.

It's a b****r this democracy isn't it? :smile:

Trump's medical when in office (from memory) was conducted by a US Navy surgeon, and it was obvious that the numbers were "Hockeysticked". :smile: The chap was promoted to Admiral shortly afterwards.

We're in the mad house here. The idea that either of these two is suitable to lead the USA for the next four years following November 2024, is plainly ridiculous.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Where are all the FDR's and JFK's?
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I too have had those thoughts Peter. And I have asked that question as well Ian.
David is right, the thoughts of either of them being a candidate demonstrates one thing only, the total wreck that is US politics.
But remember, we have no room to talk, look at what our choices are and weep!
THIS is what heads the BBC News this morning....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

...and elsewhere it has this: `US scientist recommends adding salt to make perfect cup of tea' BBC
I know Americans have some strange habits but this is a step too far... :extrawink:
The US embassy is not heeding Prof Francl's advice and says it will stick to what it calls the "proper way" of making tea - by microwaving it - while the UK Cabinet Office is adamant it can only be made using a kettle.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"says it will stick to what it calls the "proper way" of making tea - by microwaving it "
No wonder tea has never approached coffee in popularity in the US!
Over the years I came across some strange circumstances in US cooking.
Peas are only served cold as a component of a salad.
Very few Americans understand how to boil an egg.
It is seen as quite normal to pour Maple Syrup over bacon as part of breakfast.
Bread is never served as part of a main course at dinner whereas here a bread roll is obligatory.
Hard to believe I know but I swear that in the Blue Horse Saloon at Faribault in MN I was greeted one night with "Sorry, the 32 ounce steaks are off!"
To paraphrase George Bernard Shaw, "England and America are two nations divided by a different cuisine."
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 26 Jan 2024, 03:17 I was greeted one night with "Sorry, the 32 ounce steaks are off!"
The correct response is: "No problem, I'll make do with a 64 ounce one". :smile:

Perfidious Albion strikes again. The Brexiteers will love it. Perhaps they have the password for the ULEZ computer system...
`Hundreds of thousands of EU citizens ‘wrongly fined for driving in London Ulez’' Guardian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 26 Jan 2024, 03:17 Blue Horse Saloon at Faribault in MN
Can't resist a Google. They're closed down now. . . . :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sorry to hear that!

Later..... See THIS Report of the huge defamation damages ordered against Donald Trump and his reaction.
Donald Trump has been ordered to pay a total of $83.3m (£65.6m) for defaming the writer E Jean Carroll while he was president The jury in his defamation trial said he must pay $18.3m in compensation damages for emotional and reputational harm, and $65m in punitive damages Carroll called it a "huge defeat for every bully who has tried to keep a woman down". Trump called the outcome "Absolutely ridiculous!" The former president was in court on Friday for closing arguments, but was not in the room when the verdict was read out A jury in a previous civil fraud trial found Carroll was sexually abused by Trump in the 1990s, but this case was about comments he made in 2019 while he was president A judge had already ruled Trump's statements were defamatory and the jury's job was to decide how much he should pay. Trump denied any wrongdoing The case is one of several legal issues unfolding against Trump while he campaigns for the Republican presidential nomination
Trump says he will appeal.
How can any democratic country allow a situation like we can see in the US. As I understand it, even if he is in gaol he can participate in the presidential election and become President.
My comment is that those who the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”