Post by Big Kev »

Interesting looking loaf, I like that.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: Give Us This Day Our Daily Bread

Post by PanBiker »

I have set another sourdough loaf off this morning, on it's first prove.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I let the first prove rise until late evening by which time it was up to the top of the bowl. I knocked it back a made a plait and set it on tray to rise overnight. This morning it had expanded to the edge of the tray and lost all height and its plait!

I gathered all the edges in and tucked them underneath and formed a rough roll, floured it and shoved it in the oven. It has risen somewhat in the hot oven and come out very "artisan" with plenty of interesting crust. It will be edible. :smile:

Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Crust is always good :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good enough to eat..... (Grrrr.!)
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I am building a bog standard Bloomer at the moment. My sourdough starter is a bit depleted as I made some rich scones with it yesterday, its currently under a feeding regime to build it up again. :extrawink:
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Its at the top of the bowl already on its first prove. Looks like its going to be a good one. Knock it back after a bit of lunch. :smile:
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I formed it as a Plait rather than a Bloomer. I reckon it's turned out all right. :smile:

Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

That looks 'the business'. :smile:

Is the extra effort for sourdough worth it? Does it taste better? From very limited experience, I'd say not. Maybe I'm missing something.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

The sourdough scones are somewhat like my mums when she made them using milk that had "turned". That was always more common back in the 50's and an option for using up the milk before everyone had fridges.

I think the excellent rise on this batch of dough was because I spent more than 10 minutes on the first knead. Worth the effort I reckon. :extrawink:
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Why not?

375g flour, salt, yeast seeds and water. Sunflower Seeded Loaf.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

That's a good looking loaf Ian.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Thanks Kev, problem is it's already half gone, will have to make another one. :laugh5:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Never any problem with getting rid of good home made bread......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

This looks like a good one. It's a seeded loaf with Sunflower, Sesame and Chia seeds. I made it in my willow banneton.

Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

We have ended up with a surplus of milk so I have a rice pudding on the go in the slow cooker. :smile:

Bread wise I did a Google search to refresh my quantity memory for milk bread. I came across a Japanese variant though so am having a go at that. Shokupan is an enriched bread mixture with milk, egg, butter and lemon juice as part of the liquid component. It also uses a Roux or Tangzhong as it is known. This is made by heating flour and water until it reaches a temperature of 149F, easiest in the microwave with stirring breaks during the process which turns it into a porridge type consistency. You allow this to cool before adding it to the rest of the ingredients. You can do it all in a mixer with the dough hook but I found that after the original mixing it was easier to get the dough to the right consistency continuing the kneading by hand. I have enough experience now to know when it feels right. :extrawink:

When ready, you divide the dough into five equal portions, roll each one into a ball and then use the rolling pin to roll flatten it out, fold in the sides and then roll each section. These are then placed in a long tin and then set aside to rise. No proving and knocking back, it is baked on the first rise.

Here it is in a plastic bag waiting to get to the top of the tin.

After topping with egg wash and 45 minutes in the oven.

Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

You've got the knack all right - I'd say that was a candidate for "Best in Show" :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have to agree Ian, a perfect loaf. If it tastes as good as it looks......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Thanks for the comments. I will let you know what it's like when I have had a go with it. :smile:
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

A bit later.....

The bread is nice and soft with a tight crumb, slices well and makes excellent sandwiches. I reckon it will toast well also. Overall a nice addition to the repertoire. :smile:

Quick to make as well as you bake it on the first rise so save two or three hours in the process. Bakes in a relatively low temp oven but for a full 45 minutes.
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Thanks for the info - I'm tempted to try it - but my big oven is out of action at the moment.

Speaking of bread - which is my major weakness - I went out of my way to to Waitrose yesterday seeking a Vogel Soya and Linseedloaf. I'd had one a few weeks ago and I like it. Couldn't see it anywhere - so like a gentleman I gave up. A glance round the rest of the shelves showed my favourite Ciabatta rolls were exactly double their price in Aldi, and looked identical. I think I'm in the wrong shop. :smile:

My reckless extravagance was a bottle of Stokes brown sauce. That's a crazy price too, but so much better than any other. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

If you fancy having a go when your oven is fixed. This is the recipe I followed. It's American so a bit of a mix of Cups and proper weights. There is a multiplication or division selector by the list of ingredients, I used the 0.5 quantity. This needs 0.5 of an egg which allows you to keep a bit back for the egg wash.

Shokupan
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

We went round to friends last week for supper and while there, Kath who is an avid bread maker herself gifted me half a Kilo of Fermipan dried yeast and a couple of bags of strong organic flour, one wholemeal and one white. I have mixed up a sunflower seeded dough and am just about to knock it back and shove it in it's tin. :smile:
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I ran out of sunflower seeds and Aldi didn't have stock to replenish either. I opted for a four seed mix as a substitute. I made my first loaf with it yesterday 2/3rds strong white, 1/3 wholemeal, salt a bit of sugar, 50g unsalted butter and five tablespoons of the seed mix, 8g or so of the Fermipan and 300ml or thereabouts of warm water. Just tried the crust end with butter and home made egg mayo. Very nice with a nice crunch from the hemp seeds in the seed mix which has sunflower, pumpkin and linseed as well. Will make that one again I reckon. :smile:
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Not lost the touch, first home baked loaf for a while, much easier through summer. :smile:

Ian

Return to “Baking”