'Owt else or Any Other Business

Tripps
VIP Member

Re: 'Owt else or Any Other Business

Post by Tripps »

Thanks for the tip off. I wouldn't have missed it for the world. Tom Whipp has finally got a grown up haircut and David Whipp has declared it to be summer and changed to No. 1 Dress (Tropical). One chap had a puffer jacket and muffler on throughout. :smile:

Hard to follow, and despite a virtuoso perfomance in opposition from Cllr David Whipp, I think planning has been approved. It was confusing, what with amendment and substantive motions, and again they didn't seem to fully understand their own procedures in that regard. The chair could have been a touch more assertive, and a view from an insurance company regarding a flood risk quote for each proposed property. might have been helpful. I doubt the houses will be insurable. It's amongst the first questions a conveyancing solicitor asks these days.

Read Standing Orders - read them and understand them" Said David Whipp, quoting (a touch ironically) from the famous Handforth Parish Council meeting during lockdown.

The next item for a giant fence (already built and modified) from a lady with nine autistic grandchildren who have no concept of risk, and she has had a nervous breakdown. One can only be sympathetic to her plight. It might have helped if the photo she showed had been taken after the top four feet had been removed, as she asserted.

The recommendation was easily passed, but I don't think the applicant (Deborah) understood what that meant. She certainly looked puzzled. So was I, but I think, enforcement action will be taken, as the Committee had no other legal option, and she must reapply for planning, with a different design of fence.

We have not heard the last of this - Solomon would have had a tough time tonight.
Well worth a watch "It's life Jim - but not as we know it". :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Tripps wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 21:18 Another bus fire A35. No mention as to whether it was a battery powered bus, but the ferocity of the fire looks a lot like it.

Remember the explosion and fire at the High Court in London last week? Apparently that was the battery from an electric bicycle, and there was another such yesterday in a block of flats in London, resulting in a dramatic window rescue. I read that two out of three bicycle sales now are of electric bikes.

It's inevitable that there will be a mass casualty event soon. What measures need to be taken here?
I see Rishi is mulling increasing the allowed KW of Bicycle motors, I am told this means bigger batteries (or half the life on a smaller one before recharge), Fire Watchers have commented this may not be a good idea
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Tuga Dash Cams and Observations appears to have been posting on You Tube for a few years. Seems to be based in Barnoldswick, so this one looked interesting, warning might be addictive if you look at the channel

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think it's wonderful to get a report on a Barlick planning application from Cambridge! Thanks David, I was tucked up in bed of course!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Whyperion wrote: 01 Mar 2024, 02:32 Tuga Dash Cams and Observations appears to have been posting on You Tube for a few years. Seems to be based in Barnoldswick, so this one looked interesting, warning might be addictive if you look at the channel

The dashcam footage, from the crash I had in 2022, was invaluable evidence. I sent it to my insurance company and the third party insurer immediately admitted liability.
Have you been absent from posting on here recently or is it just me?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Big Kev wrote: 01 Mar 2024, 09:50 Have you been absent from posting on here recently or is it just me?
Not just you. Certainly made up for lost time overnight. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

Binge watching YT, Dealing with issues in/with Mum's Flat (permanently ongoing) , Forgetting to go to some local council/community meetings, getting annoyed at Banks and Banking Apps/Onlines etc. loosing Mobile Phones (and sorting new/replacement ones), posting facebook local history to do with mum's area (inc chats with people from a long time ago), being rather ill (involving assorted linaments that postings here were invaluable to try to get - what has happened to Coal Tar Soap - I can only get Coal Tar Flavoured soap down south ( should have stocked up from Shambles ), rebuilding assorted family trees on Ancestry / My Heritage (when others researching same surnames have got cousins muddled up), adding to online databases of vinyl and shellac records, dealing with the deaths of a couple of neighbours inc clearing some items out , ditto friends of friends , going to a couple of the toy and model train collectors fairs around the south, taking things to/from a friend in north london while he was ill (and he then lost his younger sister to cancer immediately afterwards) . Binge watching BBC live coverage of Rochdale by-election.
PS I will miss Plaques, we sort of had similar interests on this forum
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Good to see you back on here, I was concerned by your absence :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PostmanPete
Regular User

Post by PostmanPete »

Big Kev wrote: 01 Mar 2024, 20:01 Good to see you back on here, I was concerned by your absence :good:
Me too. I've also spent an hour or two watching that youtube channel suggested by Whyperion...! Some 'interesting' videos :good:
"Always carry a large flagon of whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
W.C. Fields (1880-1946)
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Youtube made me watch this today. Said to have happened in Yorkshire, about two weeks ago.

I don''t trust them - not really credible - I think it must be fake news. :smile:

Soldiers marching and stuff
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

What funny rifles they have........ :surprised:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Tripps, I have just noticed that thou hath changed thy signature to include thy preferred pronouns. How long hath thine addition been in place?
I bet anything that I hath gotten that all awrong. :laugh5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thou didst well for a young one..... I can't put a figure on it Wendy but it's a long time back.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Wendyf wrote: 08 Mar 2024, 08:39 I bet anything that I hath gotten that all awrong.
Nay nay lass - thar't quite areet. :smile:

The latin bits - well - "Res ipsa loquitur" of course.

The pronouns thingy - I didn't want to be seen as 'off trend' with dinosaur tendencies.It's been there for a while.

The working days thing - that's more recent, and comes with with living in S. Cambs, where the Council officials have bravely undertaken to support the Chief Executive's research into the practice of working just four days a week for the same wages. Emails from them state which day they have decided to take off. A survey amongst the staff has shown it to be very popular, and despite the Government telling them the 'cease and desist', they have adopted the attitude of local lady - Baroness Trumpington who was quite a character, and I'm sure would have approved.. :smile:

Baroness Trumpington.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tripps on 08 Mar 2024, 12:29, edited 1 time in total.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I quite like my current working pattern, Wednesday to Wednesday then 6 days off. I can suffer that for another few years.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I like my working pattern as well Kev. I only do anything if I want to. :extrawink: :biggrin2:

Having said that I sometimes don't know how I found time to work!
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

A lot of my friends, who have retired, say the same Ian.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Aye, what tends to happen is that you start doing loads of stuff for nowt. :biggrin2:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"Having said that I sometimes don't know how I found time to work!"
Yes, I found that out when I was forced to retire early in 2000. It never happened. Mind you, all the research I have seen supports having routines and keeping active because they tend to help withstand the effects of ageing.
So far so good!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I agree with you all. I don't have `a job', I'm not employed but in addition to my hobbies I'm currently researching family history for the husband of my cousin and have been transcribing a mineral identification document for the wife of one of Mrs Tiz's friends to use in their U3A geology group. For the same lady I recently finished identifying and photographing about 50 mineral specimens which are the collection of her late husband who was a well-known local amateur geologist. There's always summat to do! :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

And if all else fails I have absolutely no problems with going upstairs and getting between the covers for a dad-nap.
I was always good at cat-napping when I was driving on tramp and it seems it stuck with me!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

As the monarchy sinks slowly in the West - well done QE II for keeping it on the road, with some dignity, for so long - let's look back to happier times. :smile:

Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My reply to this appears to have been lost....
I watched the video and didn't understand what was going on or who was doing it.
However David, I did understand your comment about QE11 and I agree with you.

Here's something that I don't think fits anywhere.
While cooking my veggies I watch Youtube videos and there is a channel called hydraulic hands which is about very heavy machining in Indian factories under conditions that would give a UK H&S Inspector a continuous heart attack.
I was watching one this morning which was of Indian machinists sadly abusing a big lathe to make an enormous nut and bolt. I noticed the name cast into the side of the headstock, Dean Smith and Grace. They made possibly the best lathes in the world in their time and of course many went for export and are still being used.
As I watched I could picture the journey from the DSG works behind the railway station in Keighley over the sea to the sub-continent. I'll bet they still see it as a good lathe!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 12:53 I watched the video and didn't understand what was going on
I see.

It's a fairly new thing, and is called variously - humour, comedy, or parody. Don't worry - I doubt it will catch on. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I think Stanley calls it "Doctor Green". Looks like it applies in Denmark too. :smile:

Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”