THE MARTONS 02

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

THE MARTONS 02

Post by Stanley »

THE MARTONS 02

We have an overall picture of Martons Both from last week. Now let’s have a look at the more recent history. Let’s take it as read that the Romans knew of the country round the Martons, the major Roman Road from Ilkley and points east to Ribchester and the west passed between Barnoldswick and Marton and recent LIDAR surveys suggest the possibility of a significant Roman presence in Barnoldswick.
In Domesday (1086) There is a record of ‘Martum’ (Martons Both) and ‘Ventorp’. Martum is believed to have originated in the Saxon name ‘Meretown’, referring to low lying boggy land, and became Marton. Ventorp (other spellings possible!) derived through Unktorp, Crane End and Crake End to Ingthorpe which later became a Grange of Bolton Priory. After the Conquest Roger de Poitu was the overlord and he gave the tenancy to Pagamus who was first lord of the manor and had a moated house near the site of the church at East Marton. His family evolved into the de Marton family over the next 500 years of lordship. I have a record of a William de Marton being rector of Marton in 1186 by which time we know that the church had been built. They were an important family because in 1397 the Poll Tax Roll for Marton includes Sir Simon de Marton who paid twenty shillings. Henry Taylor a draper, John Spendlove and Simon Taylor, both tailors, John Green the blacksmith and Richard Webster all paid sixpence. The total for Marton was thirty five shillings and fourpence, Skipton paid thirty five shillings, a good indication of comparative importance. I also came across a connection to Broughton with a record that in 1315/16 William de Marton and Petrus Gilliot (remember them as owners of Gilliot Place in my account of the Tempests?) Perhaps this was because of a temporary mortgage.
Things started to change in the 16th century. In about 1535 Thomas de Marton sold West Marton Hall to Thomas Heber of Elslack and in about 1600 Lancelot de Marton sold the remainder of the Marton lands to the Hebers. Thomas Heber was a Parliamentarian in the Civil War (1642-1651) and lived through the wasting of Craven by the troops of Prince Rupert on his way to Marston Moor where he was defeated. In 1752 the Hebers inherited the parish of Hodnet in Shropshire and the family’s interest in the Martons began to decline. Richard Heber inherited the Martons in 1803 but after 1826 he lived abroad and the Martons were mortgaged to finance this. When he died in 1833 he left what remained of the estate to his sister Mary Cholmondley who lived at West Marton. All the Heber lands were sold to Richard Henry Roundell in 1841 except for 50 acres owned by the Ingham family at Marton house and 60 acres owned by Mr Wasney.
I think I’ve worked you hard enough this week, too many names and dates but if we want to understand the history it has to be done!Next week will be easier.

Marton Hall in 1800.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Gloria

Re: THE MARTONS 02

Post by Gloria »

I’d have learnt a lot more in my history lessons if it had been explained as you do.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's nice Gloria, thank you very much.... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bumped again. Note that the hall in the image is not Gledstone but what it says, Marton Hall.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Stanley's View”