Cooking with an Air Fryer

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Cooking with an Air Fryer

Post by Big Kev »

Paulette has braved the air fryer, sausages and onions to put in a wholemeal soft pitta for tea. She's quite taken with it now 😎
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

:good: I chuck all sorts in it now, I did some leftover pizza which I had cooked as a full one in the oven the day before. 4 mins and it was better than when it came out of the oven originally. :smile:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Chicken fajitas in the AF today.

Marinated two sliced chicken breasts and a chorizo sausage in chilli powder, smoked paprika, cinnamon, oregano, salt, pepper and olive oil. Sliced two peppers and two small onions. All went in the basket for 10 minutes at 190, a good stir and back in for another 10 minutes. Served in wholemeal wraps with salad, sour cream and some grated cheddar. Sorted. :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Getting the hang of the AF now. Roasted some little potatoes in it yesterday, they were nice. I only had a couple.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Well - I've weakened and bought one.

Back in stock at Argos - so popped into Eddington this afternoon. I was going to pay on the web, and just collect it but that rather committed me, so I just rolled up, (I prefer rolling to rocking) and did the deal in person.

You must find the item on the instore computer - I failed at the first hurdle - couldn't find it in 'kitchen appliances' so I immediately surrendered like a gentleman, and just went to the till and said - in a rather old fashioned manner - "I would like an air fryer please". The lady sprang into action, almost literally, and took me back to the computer - typed in 'air fryer', and showed me what was available. All very impressive. I chose the one I'd come for.

Now decided to go full 'Luddite' and when asked 'cash or card' replied 'cash'. No problem at all. On my way in five minutes with £4 change rattling in my pocket. Quite reassuring to find that old fashioned cash still worked. It occurs to me that, leaving aside tha packet of M&M's at Addenbrookes last week, that is the first cash I've used for nearly three years.

Here it is Tower Air Fryer

I've got some chicken thighs and since it's nearly Chinese New Year -some Hoisin sauce for a marinade

Wish me luck. . . . . . :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Happy frying David! :biggrin2:
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Tripps wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 20:15 since it's nearly Chinese New Year
For some reason the BBC News have just described it as "The Lunar New Year". I wonder why.

Anyway - Kung Hee Fatt Choy to all our Chinese readers. (I do miss Chinatyke) :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Have you done your chicken David or is that tonight?

I'm on chicken too but it will be in the pan with pasta etc.

Not Chinese but Kung Hei Fat Choy to you also, it lasts two weeks apparently. :smile:
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

We did battered prawn and chips. Does this qualify as a Chinese?

PS. I always use chop sticks whenever possible to get the right atmosphere :geek:
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I'm impressed for the first attempt - though the marinade could do with some more work. Perhaps just curry powder rub next time. I threw some baby potatoes on top and they are good.
P1020082.JPG

PS It may be going back. There are four silicone covers for the legs of the grill tray. Not mentioned in the instructions. They ensure the tray fits snugly into the body of the fryer, and perhaps prevent scratching the 'non stick' surface. They fell off when washed. and were a b****r to find from the sink trap. Are they needed - the web seems to think so. Enquiries will be made. Poor show.

PPS perhaps I'll just glue them on?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I am currently having a go at blind baking a pastry bottom for a steak pie I am making for my tea. I have done it the same way as if going in the normal oven, base shaped, pricked, greaseproof paper and black beans for weighting it down. I have shoved it in at 200c for 15 minutes but I will check at 10 how its going.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I did some pork belly strips for lunch today, 15 minutes at 200C. They were tasty but I'll be giving them another 5 minutes next time just to get the skin super crispy.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I let it run for the full 15 minutes, here it is when finished, still in the pan.

Extracted from the liner.

Final result, not bad for a first go although I trimmed it a bit short at one end. I can cater for that once it's cooled properly and the filling and lid goes on.

I am baking bread at tea time so the next firing will be in the main oven. I have no doubts that I could do the whole lot in the air fryer if I wasn't already using the oven, a good test. :smile:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Certainly does the job, nice one Ian.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Aye, next time I would probably drop the temperature a bit and leave a bit more overhang on the pastry, not as easy when the receptacle doesn't have a lip. It'll be a Rustic Pie. :extrawink:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I will be making chicken fajitas, in the air fryer, for tea this evening. I have some chicken thighs and a spicy chorizo sausage along with some peppers and onions. These will marinate in a little bit of oil with some oregano, salt and pepper and then the whole lot into the basket for 25 minutes. Got some wholemeal wraps and some TexMex dips.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

That sounds good. . .

For me, the jury is still out. It does French Fries style chips very well, but I really could do with eating fewer of them. :smile:

I've cooked chicken pieces a couple of times, but it takes longer than I would have thought, and I think the slow cooker is better. I won't give up yet, but the chances are my young lad may be getting a present. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I did skin on chicken thighs. Skin down for 15mins and then skin up for 15mins, nice and crispy.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I had to smile at that David, needing to eat fewer chips. Join the club! Never mind, you were brave enough to try. Book it down to experience.
Incidentally I saw an article the other day about 'The Four Hour Chicken' which was singing the praises of a chicken cooked that long. That's how long my chicken and the hot and spicy legs get. No salmonella in this house!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I cooked a small pork shoulder joint in the beast today. Actually it was half a joint as I'd eaten the other half in the slow cooker a while ago.

The fatal flaw was revealed.

It cooked ok, though took longer than I'd thought, and the small spuds I put in with it were again very nice - however I couldn't make any gravy in the normal way. I usually put the roasting tin on the gas cooker, and add the piquantising ingredients to get a good result. Now however the pan juices and drippings are beneath the tray in the device, and you can't put it directly on the gas flame. The idea that you wouod scrape it all out, and get a saucepan for the job is just silly.

I noticed that the Youtube 'Bald foody guy' where I first saw one, hasn't used his recently.

So - brilliant for French fries, baked potatoes and reheating dry things like sausage rolls or Cornish Pasties, but not for 'proper ' cooking would be my assessment.

Other opinions are available. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Chicken breast in tempura batter for a quick lunch today, I was left to fend for myself and didn't have a lot of time as I was working. It was a Birds Eye frozen thing but was quite tasty after 15 minutes at 200C. It went into a wholemeal pitta bread with a bit of ketchup, not really fine dining but it filled a hole.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's an honest review David and I'm afraid it wouldn't do for me. I have always said that the main reason for cooking meat is making the gravy. Thank you for settling any doubts I had about my four hour chicken..... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Confession time -

I wanted to get the word 'piquantising' in again, and seized the opportunity.

I've just googled, and find that the only reference to the word, in the entire known universe, is on this site.

That's very pleasing to a simple chap such as myself. :smile:

During the research for this post I came across this - which has my approval.

"As far as I know, there is no collective noun to describe brown sauces (you know, like a flock of geese or a murder of crows). May I suggest a Piquance of brown sauce?"

PS
I've just got a pair of cooked battered Cod fillets from the lucky dip at Aldi, and another bag of French fries. I think they will suit the air fryer. I'll give it another chance. :smile:

Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Tripps wrote: 19 Feb 2023, 15:23 I wanted to get the word 'piquantising' in again, and seized the opportunity.
Which as triggered the name Pinkamena back to life.

Pinkamena Diane Pie, also known as Pinkie Pie, is the main antagonist of the infamous My Little Pony "grimdark" story "Cupcakes". She is a violent and psychotic murderer who kidnaps her victims and mercilessly rips their organs apart so she can make their organs into cupcakes and dolls.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Never heard of that - thank goodness. :smile:

As you know - the real "Pinkamena" is Khesenia Petrova of the Moscow chess club.

Here playing her sister "Fatality" (Elisaveta Petrova) about a year ago. Chess

PS :-

"mercilessly rips their organs apart so she can make their organs into cupcakes and dolls."

Just as well she doesn't call them fat, ugly, or white - she'd suffer the same fate as Roald Dahl. :laugh5:

I think the word is Bowdlerised".
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego

Return to “Cooking”