New to this forum

Introduce Yourself To The Other Members
heatherberry

New to this forum

Post by heatherberry »

Hello. My name is Heather Berry from Ottawa, Canada. My great grandparents were Ada Widdup and William Berry from Barnoldswick and Salterforth respectively who emigrated to Canada (separately) and met and married in Brantford, Ontario Canada.

I have read this board on and off for many years as part of researching my family tree but with an upcoming trip to Barnoldwick planned this summer, I plan to read more of this board.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: New to this forum

Post by Stanley »

Welcome to the site Heather. Widdup and Berry are two good Barlick names, Widdup especially. If you've put that name into the site search engine in the masthead you will have found lots of references.
I'm sure the ladies will pick up your query. They are brilliant! Good luck.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Welcome Heather. It sounds as if you have already done your research but if there is anything you need help with let us know.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I noticed you tried to register last week but your account went inactive. The site does this sometimes with gmail email addresses. I have deleted that account entry as you have successfully registered with a different email. Welcome to the site Heather. :smile:
Ian
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

heatherberry wrote: 04 Apr 2023, 01:48 Hello. My name is Heather Berry from Ottawa, Canada. My great grandparents were Ada Widdup and William Berry from Barnoldswick and Salterforth respectively who emigrated to Canada (separately) and met and married in Brantford, Ontario Canada.

I have read this board on and off for many years as part of researching my family tree but with an upcoming trip to Barnoldwick planned this summer, I plan to read more of this board.
I have replied to your email Heather
If you keep searching you will find it
heatherberry

Post by heatherberry »

PanBiker wrote: 04 Apr 2023, 09:28 I noticed you tried to register last week but your account went inactive. The site does this sometimes with gmail email addresses. I have deleted that account entry as you have successfully registered with a different email. Welcome to the site Heather. :smile:
Thanks. After I tried twice I thought I would try with another email address. I'm glad it worked!
heatherberry

Post by heatherberry »

Stanley wrote: 04 Apr 2023, 02:36 Welcome to the site Heather. Widdup and Berry are two good Barlick names, Widdup especially. If you've put that name into the site search engine in the masthead you will have found lots of references.
I'm sure the ladies will pick up your query. They are brilliant! Good luck.
Thanks. I have been lurking on this site for many years and have appreciated all the Widdup information. Widdup remains a strong part of our family heritage and continues as a middle name as does Macfarlane from Macfarlane Widdup. My grandfather William Macfarlane Berry, the son of Ada Widdup and William Berry was known as Mac. Both Ada WIddup and William Berry emigrated from Barnoldwick/Salterforth with their families as teenagers to Brantford, Ontario, Canada where they met and married.

I do have less information about the Berrys before WIlliam Berry (born around 1785 and appears in the 1841, 1851, 1861 censuses as a farmer in Thornton on Craven, married to Margaret Robinson born 1791 • Thornton-in-Craven, Yorkshire, England so any leads would be appreciated.

William Berry's son William married Maria Starkey in 1839. They lived in Salterforth as a labourer and weaver at that time according to their Marriage license. Their second son Robinson (married Ann King),both born in Salterforth, my second great grandfather emigrated to Canada in 1882 with his family.
heatherberry

Post by heatherberry »

I should also mention we have a short visit planned to Barnoldswick this coming August and are trying to identify relevant places to visit to make some of our research "real"
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That all sounds good! Look forward to a sit on the Square with you..... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

MickBrett
Donor

Post by MickBrett »

I used to work with a Robert (Bob) Widdup in the 1970's and 1980's but he lived in Cowling, I believe.
I know it's quite a common name in the area but just thought I'd mention it.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Mick! Every little helps.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I have been in touch with Heather and earier her family over 10 years ago. She has my Widdup genealogy report. macfarlane Widdup was a second cousin( I think ) to my John Widdup . She asked me if I could show her round inAugust but we will be in France. Perhaps someone else could step in for me Wendy ?. I know Heather is struggling with Berry records as they were non conformist, I wonder if Wendy could help again here. I got non conformist info on the Widdups from Barlick library some 15 years ago
If you keep searching you will find it
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I'll do what I can Sue!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Thank you