Artificial Intelligence (AI)

Tripps
VIP Member

Artificial Intelligence (AI)

Post by Tripps »

May 2023 - Stanley said "Are we getting to the point where we need a topic dedicated to AI" ?

I think so.

I think we are at a momentous turning point. The ability of AI to research questions on all topics is a game changer. It looks as if the battle between Google and Microsoft has swung towards Google. Strategically - Microsoft went for their 'Metaverse' which I never understood, and has turned out to be a flop with consequences for the finances of the company. A big plus in the matter is that Sir Nick Clegg has been President for Global Affairs at Meta Platforms since 2022. :smile:

I have used this site ChatGPT a couple of times with astonishing results.

It's a sort of verbal search engine, and as with google search engine, will take a bit of getting used to. Care must be taken with the results as Wendyf and Tizer have already pointed out - Ellenroad Mill is not in Barnoldswick.

I think this is the future - not garlic bread. Let's see how it goes. . . .
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: Artificial Intelligence (AI)

Post by PanBiker »

I have registered, just need to think up a cunning question. :extrawink: :smile:
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

PanBiker wrote: 22 May 2023, 11:19 I have registered, just need to think up a cunning question. :extrawink: :smile:
You could ask it what 8304 Air Disarmament Wing was doing in 1945/6 :biggrin2:
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Wendyf wrote: 22 May 2023, 11:36 You could ask it what 8304 Air Disarmament Wing was doing in 1945/6

"The 8304 Air Disarmament Wing was involved in the disarmament efforts after World War II in 1945/6. Its primary task was to ensure the demilitarization and disarmament of enemy air forces in the aftermath of the war. This involved the identification, inspection, and removal of weapons, aircraft, and other military equipment from the defeated nations. The 8304 Air Disarmament Wing played a crucial role in establishing peace and stability by reducing the military capabilities of the defeated powers and facilitating the transition to a post-war era."
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

PanBiker wrote: 22 May 2023, 11:19 ust need to think up a cunning question.
I tried this one. Unusually it was not an instantaneous reply; they took a few seconds - as if they were thinking it out. :smile:

Should parliamentary candidates be chosen locally or by the Party headquarters

ChatGPT.
The choice of whether parliamentary candidates should be selected locally or by the Party headquarters is a matter of political preference and can vary depending on the political system and context. Some argue that local selection allows for better representation of local interests and ensures candidates are familiar with the specific needs of their constituencies. On the other hand, selecting candidates through Party headquarters can provide a more coordinated and strategic approach to candidate selection, ensuring alignment with the party's overall platform and goals. Ultimately, the decision should be based on the specific circumstances and objectives of the political party and the democratic system in place.
Last edited by Tripps on 22 May 2023, 12:11, edited 1 time in total.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Sounds about right Tripps, thanks for that. I suppose that new recruits were always arriving who needed the services of a small arms instructor with a sideline in barbering like Dad.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Tripps wrote: 22 May 2023, 12:06 Should parliamentary candidates be chosen locally or by the Party headquarters

ChatGPT.
The choice of whether parliamentary candidates should be selected locally or by the Party headquarters is a matter of political preference and can vary depending on the political system and context. Some argue that local selection allows for better representation of local interests and ensures candidates are familiar with the specific needs of their constituencies. On the other hand, selecting candidates through Party headquarters can provide a more coordinated and strategic approach to candidate selection, ensuring alignment with the party's overall platform and goals. Ultimately, the decision should be based on the specific circumstances and objectives of the political party and the democratic system in place.
That reply doesn't take into account the wishes of the majority of the members who's views are disregarded in this respect. The last line sums up what isn't actually happening.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I can see a benefit for an AI grammar checker on Facebook. There are many posts, on the Barnoldswick Talk page, that are incomprehensible :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

PanBiker wrote: 22 May 2023, 12:13 That reply doesn't take into account the wishes of the majority of the members
However, I think it gives a fairly balanced summary of what's involved. If the national Party are looking for a future Minister, then they're not going to be keen on a locally very popular person, who main achievement is being on the entertainmemt committee of the Labour Club.

The information is gathered from existing sources I'd guess, and put together rather cleverly, but it depends on who wrote the algorithm and whether they have an agenda.

Time will tell. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Well done David. This needed doing.... Frightening stuff.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

:biggrin2: ChatGPT can now generate working Windows 11 keys for free
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing ... s-11-keys/
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I tried to understand what that post was about as it seemed to be important. However, I have to report I failed miserably. Microsoft is safe in that there will be no break ins from this lad!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

We are seeing in the news the first (of many to come) I would suggest - disputes about the use of Artificial Intelligence.

In America the film actors who do work as "extras" have been told that they only need to turn up once (and of course only be paid once) because when they have done their bit, technologogy can shuffle it around to create any further requirement.

Understandably they don't seem too happy.

File under inevitable progress? OK - but wait till they come for your job. :sad:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think you're right David. The first of many such reports. I was impressed by the fact that the action went global so quickly.
On the other hand I heard a man who is reputed to be an expert in the field enthusing about AI in the BBC technology programme on R4 at dinner time. He was highlighting the positive benefits.....
Put me down as 'don't know'.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Let's be optimistic. Look where human intelligence has got us. Perhaps artificial intelligence will be better! :laugh5:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That could be true Peter but I look at what has resulted from digital control. 'automation' and the use of computers and can't see how the robots and AI can be any different. The people controlling how it will be used are focussed on profit and personal gain, not the welfare of the workers.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 16 Jul 2023, 03:44 can't see how the robots and AI can be any different.

Look again I'd say. . . . :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Indeed, with AI technology it is perfectly possible to create a CGI representation of any individual on the planet and have them speaking with any AI generated narrative that you want. Where is the real Sarah Connor when you need her?
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I've just had to google Sarah Connor. Quite outside my "lived experience".
I think that's probably a good thing. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Without Googling I'd say Terminator for the Sarah Connor association...
David, don't need to think again. (Until I have evidence to the contrary)
Later..... The government's AI adviser has warned that the increased use of AI will create winners and losers. Sounds as though he agrees with me.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

What everybody is calling `artificial intelligence' is simply an extended version of human intelligence. Everything from shaping flints into tools to using computers was a step along the way. It's all derived from human intelligence. AI robots (James Lovelock's prediction of us becoming cyborgs) is the likely trajectory for the future. AI robots won't take over humans, nor will humans control the robots.`We' will be the cyborgs. Just a further step in evolution. :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS for the bloke who agrees with me about job losses when AI gets into it's stride.
Protecting British jobs will be a challenge as artificial intelligence systems become more advanced, the new head of the government's AI taskforce has told the BBC. Ian Hogarth said it was "inevitable" that more jobs would become increasingly automated. The whole world will have to rethink the way in which people work, he added. "There will be winners or losers on a global basis in terms of where the jobs are as a result of AI," he said.
We were fed optimistic views of the future when the debate was about 'automation' in the late 1950s. We were told that overtime would vanish and we would have more time for leisure and our families. They were right, overtime went and we got more time with our families as many lost jobs and went on the dole as low-skilled jibs went. The lucky ones with the skills got all the overtime and a whole generation of what had been highly paid industrial workers were de-skilled by CNC machines and became low pay machine minders.
I'll repeat what I said. AI will result in jobs being lost but this time it will be the blue collared aristocracy and the vast army of white collar lower management posts.
I'll make another prediction, people like wagon drivers and Railway drivers needn't worry. It will be a long time before they are ditched! :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have a question....... I was listening to a talk on R4 yesterday looking at the progress that is being made in Quantum Computing which we are assured will result in machines far faster than anything we have now. What happens when that speed is used by Artificial Intelligence? I haven't heard any discussion about this.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 21 Jul 2023, 07:03 What happens when that speed is used by Artificial Intelligence?
See this article from 2022...
`What Quantum Computing Will Mean for the Future Artificial Intelligence' LINK
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

it can create new ideas in ways that any human cannot imagine possible.

Now that is frightening.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”