Artificial Intelligence (AI)

plaques
Donor

Re: Artificial Intelligence (AI)

Post by plaques »

Tizer wrote: 21 Jul 2023, 09:09 See this article from 2022...
`What Quantum Computing Will Mean for the Future Artificial Intelligence' LINK
The article appears to have been written by an early Chat Box AI programme. Full of aspirations of what COULD happen. Why something that can do calculations faster is going to predict events that MAY happen I have yet to understand.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That never occurred to me Ken. Thanks for alerting me to it! That makes the prospect of giving AI more computing power even more frightening.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

plaques wrote: 21 Jul 2023, 11:07
Tizer wrote: 21 Jul 2023, 09:09 See this article from 2022...
`What Quantum Computing Will Mean for the Future Artificial Intelligence' LINK
The article appears to have been written by an early Chat Box AI programme....
That's a bit unfair, Plaques. It was written by Chisom Ndukwu who is a technical writer and former computer science teacher.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's a bit unfair, Plaques.
Perhaps, but the fact that the matter was raised illustrates the problem we are going to have in future in the absence of any clear signposting as to what is and is not a product of AI.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Episode 3 of The Secret Genius of Modern Life (Monday 7pm BBC2). Presenter Hannah Fry looks into virtual assistants. Everything is listening.
I was going to put this in the Good TV thread but it's more relevant to this one I reckon. Certainly worth a watch on the iPlayer.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sounds as though it's worth a furtle. (Will I understand it Kev?)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 25 Jul 2023, 02:18 Sounds as though it's worth a furtle. (Will I understand it Kev?)
I think so. There's a whole series that may be interesting, it was just episode 3 that I stumbled across.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Can't remember if I posted this before, anyway, I came across it again and it's worth a watch.

2009 - 2023

Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bloody amazing Ian and frightening at the same time..... I didn't realise that we had 'progressed' so far with the abilities of androids..... Thanks for posting it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Elon Musk said yesterday that in the future no one who does not wish to do so, will need to work. Shame I missed that - it would have suited my temperament nicely. Since I never found time to develop my 'certificate' skills, I asked the AI site "ChatGPT" for a design of a certificate of recognition of an act of kindness to be presented to a member.

It came back with this - nicely put I'd say - couldn't have done better myself. :smile:

[Website Logo]

Certificate of Appreciation

Presented to [Member's Name]
on behalf of the Oneguyfrombarlick Community

In recognition of your exceptional act of kindness, we express our heartfelt gratitude and admiration. Your selfless contribution to our community has made a significant impact and embodies the spirit of camaraderie that we cherish.

This certificate serves as a token of our appreciation and as a symbol of the positive influence you've had on our online community. Your actions have shown that kindness can truly make a difference.

Date: [Date]
Signed: [Your Name]
[Your Title or Position]
Oneguyfrombarlick Website

[Website URL]

There's work to be done on that but I've reached my tech limit - perhaps we need a new thread to recognise site merit - or have I just got to much time on my hands and an over exaggerated sense of the importance of this site?

I've nominated my first two candidates - Show of hands. . . . :laugh5:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

David, my constant nagging thought is what would I do if my computer didn't boot up when I hit the button in the morning. I don't think your assessment of the value of the site is at all exaggerated. Next to communicating with my extended global family and spending time in the shed time spent on the site is the most important activity of the day.....
Perhaps I am also deluded but at least I'm happy!
I had forgotten we have this topic, thanks for reminding me. It's the place to register the fact that the very thought of AI making it unnecessary to work chills me to the bone. (As posited by Elon Musk at Bletchley Park yesterday) I have always enjoyed work and believed that it was the finest club an ordinary person could have. If the need to do it didn't exist we would have to invent it. Old fashioned manual labour was also the best exercise you could have. I always remember a woman asking me a question one night as I was having a pint with my mates in the Bull at Broughton on the way back home after a hard day. She asked if I went to the gym and lifted weights. I told her I didn't need to, I had an employer who paid me to lift things all day.... :biggrin2: :good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 05 Nov 2023, 03:38 I always remember a woman asking me a question one night as I was having a pint with my mates in the Bull at Broughton on the way back home after a hard day. She asked if I went to the gym and lifted weights. I told her I didn't need to, I had an employer who paid me to lift things all day.... :biggrin2: :good:
I like that! :good:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

10 years ago we had a site add on that you could use to award merits. Along with 50 others it was part of the reason the site ran like a two legged greyhound and eventually crashed. Executive decision was made then to do away with all such stuff and is a major reason why the site now tends to run much better. You can always use a traditional thank you or other kindly sentiment if you think it fit, which is what normally happens. Credit given where credit due.
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Fair enough - I understand. Just me being a bit fanciful again, and looking for a reason to ask AI ChatGPT to test its capabilities.,

They can't touch you for it. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Keep trying David. You are keeping us honest by reminding us that ordinary mortals can use AI.
I daren't touch it, it frightens me to death. As I said elsewhere I have heard all these reassuring words before when we were discussing automation and computerisation. Look back and see what that did for the jobs market. The lowest level jobs that catered for those who were not the sharpest in the box and gave them the dignity of a living wage all vanished..... I foresee that happening but on a far higher level of intelligence/education. Musk seems to think that will be welcomed, I think it would be a tragedy.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 07 Nov 2023, 04:38 Keep trying David. You are keeping us honest by reminding us that ordinary mortals can use AI.
I daren't touch it, it frightens me to death.
Why? All you have to do is go to the web site and ask it a question or give it an instruction. We've been doing that for years on google. ChatGPT is just more intelligent than google so it can do a more refined search or create text following your initial instructions! :smile:
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Tizer wrote: 07 Nov 2023, 09:43 Why? All you have to do is go to the web site and ask it a question or give it an instruction.
Agreed - I have tried a couple of ideas with it. My verdict (on a tiny sample) is that it is impressive, and throws up angles you might not have thought of yourself, and remembering the old maxim 'man has never lived with a level of technology below that which is available' is sure to be used widely, and we will find a way to accommodate it.

That said - all these future behaviour predictions seem to disappoint. This one seems to 'sit on the fence' but surely could be re- set to give a bias to suit the author. I don't think there will ever be a truly 'autonomous' car, or that nuclear fusion will ever be the answer to our energy problems. Even electric vehicles in their current form will not be totally adopted.

PS Isn't he case change gadget good? :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I know..... My position isn't logical but at least it's human. I may change my mind but I feel no need to at the moment..... :biggrin2:
So forgive me my timidity it's too big a leap at the moment.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Did you have that attitude to Google when it first appeared? :extrawink:
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I wouldn't use ATM's at first - what if they miscount? I still won't scan my own groceries though.

But as that Mr Dylan once said - "he not busy being born - is busy dying"

Get a grip man. . . . :laugh5:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I won't scan my own shopping either, I tried it at Sainsbury's once and I couldn't get out of the till area without scanning a receipt, which I didn't take from the machine. They either trust me or they don't.
I've never used them in Aldi either, choosing to queue at a till with a real person doing their job.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

With spooky timing - a lady from this company is on Sky News at the moment.

Luminance

Take a look and click on the "see our AI in action" button for a demonstration. These are early days, and who knows where it will lead, but knowing how much solicitors charge for their services - it must have some big attractions. Who really needs them now?

Will business embrace it, or will we see white collar Luddites emerge? If it all goes wrong will the company sue the other company or the software firm?

We certainly live in "interesting times". :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I won't scan my own shopping either but for a totally different reason than mistrust of the technology.
I am convinced that the grand plan of the supermarkets is to get us unloading the trucks, stacking the shelves and doing the selection of goods and payments. I rather like my ladies in the Co-op and want to see them keep their jobs.
All 'self service' is a cost cutting exercise by the firm. One of the great cons of the 20th Century.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

We bought goods in WH Smiths recently and scanned them on the payment machine. The card payment went through OK and then we clicked the button for a receipt. No response. It wasn't working. I remember when we had our own business and we always had to keep till receipts as proof of payment. I suppose people with businesses now will have to rely on their credit card statements to prove to the Revenue the authenticity of claims.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”