Artificial Intelligence (AI)

Tripps
VIP Member

Re: Artificial Intelligence (AI)

Post by Tripps »

Tripps wrote: 07 Nov 2023, 16:55 If it all goes wrong will the company sue the other company or the software firm?
I just (half) heard briefly on the news that in the event of an accident involving an 'autonomous car' no blame would be attached to the 'driver', but they would go after the software company. Not sure what the full implications of that are. Maybe I'll ask ChatGPT? :smile:

We heard during Covid 19 that the drug companies that made the 'vaccine' would be indemnified against legal action . That's a puzzle as Astrazenica are currently in court defending an action against the consequences of the use of their product.

I was going to say best be a lawyer, but they will now be replaced by AI - or so we are told - perhaps best we all just stay at home, and let the computers fight it out between themselves. :laugh5:

PS Tried Chat GPT but they are too busy to deal with me at the moment.

PS Later that same evening. I get connected. As is becoming normal, plenty to think about - most of which had not occurred to me. The News item now looks simplistic, to say the least. I guess this must be resolved before such vehicles are allowd freely on the roads.

Question- If an autonomous car is involved in a collision Where does the responsibilty lie - with the person in the vehicle, or the software?

Reply from ChatGPT
Determining responsibility in the event of a collision involving an autonomous car can be complex and depends on various factors, including the specific circumstances of the incident, the capabilities of the autonomous system, and relevant laws and regulations.

In general, responsibility could be attributed to:

Human Driver: If the autonomous car allows for human intervention or requires a human driver to take control in certain situations, the responsibility may lie with the person inside the vehicle if they were supposed to be in control at the time of the collision but failed to take over.

Software/Manufacturer: If the collision was a result of a failure in the autonomous system, such as a sensor malfunction, software bug, or a failure to respond appropriately to the environment, the responsibility might lie with the software developers or the manufacturer of the autonomous vehicle.

Regulatory and Legal Framework: The responsibility might also be determined by the legal and regulatory framework in place. Laws and regulations regarding autonomous vehicles vary by jurisdiction, and some places may have specific guidelines for determining liability.

Other Third Parties: In some cases, responsibility could be attributed to other parties, such as the entity responsible for maintaining the road infrastructure or other drivers on the road who may have acted negligently.

It's important to note that these scenarios are not mutually exclusive, and responsibility might be shared among multiple parties. The legal and ethical aspects of autonomous vehicle accidents are still evolving as technology advances and regulations catch up. As the technology matures, legal frameworks will likely become more defined to address these issues.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I can't be bothered to enquire too deeply into such matters David. Hopefully I can manage to keep away from driverless vehicles in the short span of time I have left.
I did hear the mother of the young man who was injured by the vaccine and is in court at the moment and thought what a thoroughly sensible woman she sounds. This happened to coincide with a message from the NHS telling me that if I didn't present myself for the Covid Booster by December the 15th I could forget it. I had been considering taking Ian up on his offer of transport but on receipt of these two pieces of information I decided that I would ditch the idea of a booster and take my chance. If the NHS feel they can impose a deadline after refusing to supply a service in a town of 10,500 inhabitants, they can't feel that the jab is so important. So I have ditched the idea
Suddenly life is more simple.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 10 Nov 2023, 04:27 Suddenly life is more simple.
...but less safe.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Last time I checked a few days ago there are still walk in clinics in Skipton and Nelson.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 10 Nov 2023, 10:25 Last time I checked a few days ago there are still walk in clinics in Skipton and Nelson.
and Colne
FB_IMG_1698977256667 (1).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I forgot about that one Kev. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:biggrin2: :good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Tesla are recalling 2 million vehicles as their 'autopilot' malfunctions.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-67693935
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I like this bit in the article: Jack Stilgoe, associate professor at University College London, who researches autonomous vehicles, said Tesla should have spent more time developing the system in the first place. "The conventional way of ensuring safety is to check that a car is safe when it leaves the factory", he told the BBC.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I missed this yesterday Peter, sorry!
And of course Jack Stilgoe is quite right! I wonder what Mr Musk will have to say about this.
(Would you buy a car off this man?)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”