Ellenroad Volunteer

Introduce Yourself To The Other Members
KyleWilcock

Ellenroad Volunteer

Post by KyleWilcock »

Good afternoon!

My name is Kyle, I have accessed this site on and off for the past few years and find it fascinating to hear Stanley’s recollections of his time at Ellenroad.

I am a keen volunteer at Ellenroad and have been since 2007 and have had the pleasure of running the big engine at each monthly steaming since 2014.

I seem to be struggling to access photographs of the development of the Ellenroad site and installation of The Whitelees Engine. I would love to see such photos if at all possible.

Thank you in advance and for allowing me to join.

All the very best,
Kyle
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Ellenroad Volunteer

Post by Stanley »

Don't understand that Kyle. Go to the gallery, click on the dialogue box on the right of the thumbnails, then open search and enter the term you are looking for. Use the site search embedded in the banner at the top of the page as well, it will chuck up hundreds of references for you.
Nice to know someone is interested...... :biggrin2:
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
KyleWilcock

Post by KyleWilcock »

Thank you Stanley and apologies for my delayed response. When I search ‘Ellenroad’ I do get lots and lots of posts and info but very few photos display, perhaps this is to do with the device I’m viewing them on.

I thoroughly enjoy volunteering at Ellenroad and have always been interested in the restoration work and redevelopment of the site that you and your team undertook.

Can I ask why the beam engine was originally painted black and white? I much preferred it like this but it’s since been redone in a dark red and gold. Was white and black its original colours? In the same vein the window frames in the engine house have since been painted dark blue rather than white. I’m not fond of that change either! Small details, I know, but I’m strongly of the belief it should remain as original as possible.

I have a number of questions surrounding all topics all things Ellenroad. Do you perhaps have an email address that you’d be happy to share with me? I’m eager to learn more about the place where I love to spend a great deal of my time!

Many thanks in advance,
Kyle
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Kyle. My email is at the bottom of every post. But don't expect me to spend hours each day answering questions that you could find the answers to by reading what's on the site. Don't forget I'm old now, in my 88th year! Talk to Joan, she is the oldest volunteer left and did the original course I taught on running the engine.
The pics that aren't displaying will be there but a breakdown in the programme in 2012
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I was going to say that any missing pictures, (where [image] is just displayed) can be reinstated. It's due to changes in the Gallery module a few years back. I need to know which thread they are in though to reactivate the links.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I have had a quick look and cant see any images missing in the main threads. However, a search in the gallery using "Ellenroad" as a search term reveals 216 matches. The images are dispersed through multiple different albums in the gallery and can be viewed from there. Here is the gallery search for Ellenroad

Ellenroad

I did the same for Whitelees and came up with 47 matches in the gallery.

Whitelees

The Gallery search is in the top right hamburger drop down under the date and time display.
Ian
KyleWilcock

Post by KyleWilcock »

Understood! Thanks Stanley. I will, of course, read through post before asking any questions re Ellenroad. I understand there’s a lot to cover. Me and Joan chat frequently and she’s usually able to answer most questions.

Thank you also Ian for posting the links to the image, much appreciated.
KyleWilcock

Post by KyleWilcock »

PanBiker wrote: 12 Aug 2023, 10:02 I have had a quick look and cant see any images missing in the main threads. However, a search in the gallery using "Ellenroad" as a search term reveals 216 matches. The images are dispersed through multiple different albums in the gallery and can be viewed from there. Here is the gallery search for Ellenroad

Ellenroad

I did the same for Whitelees and came up with 47 matches in the gallery.

Whitelees

The Gallery search is in the top right hamburger drop down under the date and time display.

Hi Ian,

Many thanks for sending these links. I’ve clicked on the Ellenroad link but cannot seem to get past page 5 even when clicking the ‘next’ button (see screenshot attached) Does the same happen for you? I’ve tried on 3 different devices.

Many thanks,
Kyle
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good Lad! The links in the gallery can be a bit dodgy at times, it's not a perfect application but unfortunately we can't do anything about that, it's an add-on and not part of the main site. We tolerate it because there's nothing better out there....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

KyleWilcock

Post by KyleWilcock »

Stanley wrote: 12 Aug 2023, 13:24 Good Lad! The links in the gallery can be a bit dodgy at times, it's not a perfect application but unfortunately we can't do anything about that, it's an add-on and not part of the main site. We tolerate it because there's nothing better out there....
Thank you Stanley. I’m just starting to look through the gallery, some wonderful images of Ellenroad. How wonderfully clean it looked!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

As Stanley says the gallery is an add on module written by one programmer and then taken over by another coder who is Russian. The module version is working on a wing and a prayer and has not been updated for this version of the board software. Its the only one that does the job though for this platform.

It does the same for me up to page 5 but I have found that if you change the page search number in the URL bar it will fetch the corresponding page. Not elegant but a way round the problem if you want to see the other images.

Be sure to only change the number though and then refresh the page.
Ian
KyleWilcock

Post by KyleWilcock »

PanBiker wrote: 12 Aug 2023, 19:55 As Stanley says the gallery is an add on module written by one programmer and then taken over by another coder who is Russian. The module version is working on a wing and a prayer and has not been updated for this version of the board software. Its the only one that does the job though for this platform.

It does the same for me up to page 5 but I have found that if you change the page search number in the URL bar it will fetch the corresponding page. Not elegant but a way round the problem if you want to see the other images.

Be sure to only change the number though and then refresh the page.

Hi Ian,

Thank you for this. I’ve had a quick try changing the page numbers in URL but it doesn’t seem to work on my device.

Please could you send me the URL’s for pages 6-14 if you have the time to do so?

Many thanks in advance,
Kyle
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The less mucking about with the gallery the better! Be satisfied with what you are getting.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

KyleWilcock

Post by KyleWilcock »

Stanley wrote: 13 Aug 2023, 02:10 The less mucking about with the gallery the better! Be satisfied with what you are getting.
Noted! Thanks for uploading them Stanley.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

KyleWilcock wrote: 12 Aug 2023, 20:10 Please could you send me the URL’s for pages 6-14 if you have the time to do so?
Back in 2013 when we reconfigured the Lancashire Textile Project. I created specific albums in the gallery for the 600 or so LTP, Spring Vale and misc images that are embedded in the text. Problem with the Ellenroad and Whitelees images is that they are distributed across multiple albums so can only be retrieved by either browsing each album which is not easy as we have over 27 thousand images or using a specific search.

I'll have a go later on Kyle and drop the links in here.
Ian
KyleWilcock

Post by KyleWilcock »

PanBiker wrote: 13 Aug 2023, 09:57
KyleWilcock wrote: 12 Aug 2023, 20:10 Please could you send me the URL’s for pages 6-14 if you have the time to do so?
Back in 2013 when we reconfigured the Lancashire Textile Project. I created specific albums in the gallery for the 600 or so LTP, Spring Vale and misc images that are embedded in the text. Problem with the Ellenroad and Whitelees images is that they are distributed across multiple albums so can only be retrieved by either browsing each album which is not easy as we have over 27 thousand images or using a specific search.

I'll have a go later on Kyle and drop the links in here.

Thanks Ian, I really appreciate that.

Kyle
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

OK Kyle, here are the links they work OK for me, I hope they work on your device.

Page 6

Page 7

Page 8

Page 9

Page 10

Page 11

Page 12

Page 13

Page 14

To stay on the same search page after viewing an image just use the back button on your browser. Unless of course you open each image in a new browser window.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

These may look familiar to you Kyle, they currently hang in my kitchen :good:
IMG_20230813_211656~3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
KyleWilcock

Post by KyleWilcock »

PanBiker wrote: 13 Aug 2023, 18:47 OK Kyle, here are the links they work OK for me, I hope they work on your device.

Page 6

Page 7

Page 8

Page 9

Page 10

Page 11

Page 12

Page 13

Page 14

To stay on the same search page after viewing an image just use the back button on your browser. Unless of course you open each image in a new browser window.

That’s wonderful Ian, thank you. I really appreciate that. I can confirm I can now see all the pictures.
KyleWilcock

Post by KyleWilcock »

Big Kev wrote: 13 Aug 2023, 20:38 These may look familiar to you Kyle, they currently hang in my kitchen :good:

IMG_20230813_211656~3.jpg
Wow Kev! How fantastic! Yes, I certainly do recognise those. How did you get them? That’s great!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

He got them from me Kyle. It's a long story and you'll find it in the Ellenroad Story (Do a search for name plates)
Briefly, the name plates were taken off the engine before I started the refurbishment. I found where they were and managed to get hold of one so I could get a pattern maker to make patterns for both of them. That included a lot of research into the original names as there were disputed versions. I proved the original names and got four of each cast by my mate Geoff Smith at Keighley. I made and finished the two that are on the engine, Kev's pair, a pair I have on the wall and two that I gave to a young friend called Victoria and a grad daughter in Oz named Alexandra.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

KyleWilcock wrote: 13 Aug 2023, 21:02 Wow Kev! How fantastic! Yes, I certainly do recognise those. How did you get them? That’s great!
What Stanley said :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹

Return to “Introductions”