Best laid plans......and all that!

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Best laid plans......and all that!

Post by PanBiker »

A new topic for when the wheel drops off so to speak. :extrawink:

I had my travel plans all worked out for my earlier than usual scanner appointment at LGI. My appointment is to be there at about 11.30 for an 11.40 session in the MRI machine. I booked my train tickets from Skipton to Leeds, the 09.47 direct without a change which arrives at 10.29. No problem there, I got an all day return so I can come back on any train depending on when I get back down to the station in Leeds.

The earlier than usual train meant that I had to get an earlier bus from Barlick to Skipton so I had planned the 08.07 or 08.19 on the M5 any later buses would leave me very close to the train departure time. Rechecking today for Thursday I find that neither of these buses go via Broughton Road and the Railway Station, they both go up to the top roundabout then down Gargrave Road finally terminating at the bus station in the centre of town. Essentially they are both the main school buses for Aireville or the College, Ermysteads or Skipton Girls High School, 22 stops between Barlick and the bus station! The other thing as well which has tripped me up is the fact that my bus pass is not valid until 9.30am. I can pay of course but the buses are likely to be rammed with kids.

Drive to Skipton and park then, hopefully on the railway station car park. £4.00 for all day or the best part of it if you are a rail ticket holder, a lot more if not. Slight problem in that it may already be full at that time. It will already have catered for the daily commuters. If I have to park somewhere up town it will be £5.50. I can try and grab a space at the station then get my parking ticket at the ticket office, there are no payment machines in the car park you have to pay via mobile phone. I had better set off in good time.

I have the choice of two buses from Leeds City Centre that pass near to the Jubilee Wing at LGI which is where I need to be. All the other routes go to the other side of the hospital. If push came to shove I could do one of those but it's about a 3/4 mile walk through the hospital from one side to the other.

After lunch PM appointments are lot more civilised and give you a lot more options in timetables.

This one will probably be my last at the Leeds end for awhile. I think I get shifted nearer home for the next 2 or maybe 3. This one is 5 years, I think I get one at 7 and then again at 9 years then maybe back to Leeds for a 10 year and signed off if all is still well.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Best laid plans......and all that!

Post by Big Kev »

What day are you going Ian?

Just looked again and it's Thursday, would you like me to drop you off?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

That would be great if you are going that way Kev. I need to be at the railway station for around 9.30 if that's OK. I will get the bus back when I get back into Skipton as my bus pass will work then. :smile:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

No problems. You've no chance getting on those 'school run' buses.

Thursday 19th, 9am by the church.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Smashing Kev, thanks a lot.
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Well done Kev - I'd have done that - but I live too far away. :laugh5:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I wouldn't want to inflict a bus load of school children on anyone :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've said it before..... Oneguy is quite wonderful! That palaver would make me potty Ian. Hard luck and I hope the next one in 2 years (?) is easier!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Ian has been safely delivered to Skipton station :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Indeed and thanks again Kev, delivered in plenty of time for my train. Went a bit pear shaped at the other end so I will report here. All OK with the journey to Leeds but on exiting the station the 2 minute route to Boar Lane just off the City Centre was blocked by a huge hole being dug outside the station. A pedestrian detour took ten minutes to get into the right parish. Arriving there the last bit of the route to the bus stop was cordoned off with a massive emergency service presence, most of the City Centre blocked to traffic. It transpired later after a Google search that a woman had been involved in an accident with a lorry. There were three fire engines two ambulances and five police cars that I could see so obviously a major incident.

I was in good time so I walked up to LGI but had to skirt the periphery to get to the right wing that I needed. I presented myself to slightly the wrong MRI dept but was soon pointed the right way. There are a lot of internal changes being made inside LGI with a few detours for where you need to get to. I was 3/4 hour early but went into the scanner at my appointment time. After having the cannula fitted and tubed up for the contrast dye I carried my own loaded syringe in which was already fitted to the rig. Only 15 minutes in the scanner this time 10 minutes for the data and 5 for the contrast. Very quite MRI scanner as well, I could actually hear the music through the headphones. I had requested 40's swing and got Ella Fitzgerald and The Andrews Sisters. :smile: Less data was requested by the neurosurgery dept. I suppose they don't need all the detail now at 5 years post surgery.

I went over to the cafe in the Jubilee wing and got a sandwich and a pot of tea. I walked back through the hospital and exited via the Brotherton Wing. It's a quicker route down onto the Headrow from there. I walked back to City Square which was now released from the cordon but entered the station through a different route. A quick scan of the monitors and there was a train back to Skipton leaving in 5 minutes so I took that one, the anytime return came in handy here.

I checked the buses back to Barlick on the way back on the train. The 280 was leaving the Bus Station at 2.10 the train got into Skipton at 2.05 so I hot footed it out hoping to catch it at the bus stop outside the station on Broughton Road. It was raining when I came out of the station, no sign of the bus though, I waited nearly 10 minutes then decided I had missed it. Walked up the pedestrian path behind Morrison's over the canal and up to the bus station. Next bus was the M6 at 2.47 or thereabouts. Got that one and was back home at 15.25

The Leeds end not exactly as planned but 11,500 steps inherited. No med's yet for my dodgy toe so I was glad of a sit down when I got home.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Glad to hear that you made it there and back Ian.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That illustrates perfectly why I stay at home..... I couldn't have managed that Ian! Glad you are done and dusted for 2 years. Hope the results are perfect.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Thanks, not a mark on me from the cannula, she did a good job. I should have referenced City Square rather than City Centre for the cordon, bit of a difference. It's still a very big hole in front of the railway station though. :extrawink: :laugh5:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I did have plans to cut down some doors outside today, it's a tad wet and windy so I'll have to do it in the cellar. A bit awkward getting the doors into the cellar but possible single handed.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”