BE Bosom Friends Information and Fund Raising Events

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: BE Bosom Friends Information and Fund Raising Events

Post by Stanley »

Well done all of you. A lot of work has gone into that, these things don't just happen. Really good to see our community can initiate and support such things..... :biggrin2: :good:
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Ben said that James was the workhorse organiser for the event. In his own words he said that he couldn't organise the proverbial in a brewery, nothing lost from the original as delivered! I forgot to mention we had a raffle on both days as we had been gifted two guitars. We decided to run them as prizes on different days, we supplemented the raffle prizes with a few bottles of wine and beer etc, (not everyone would have use for an electric guitar)! Saturdays draw was for a six string lead electric guitar gifted by one of our local musicians and I cant for the life of me remember who it was. That was won by my Open Reach Engineer, Sophie who fitted my Fibre to Premises the other week. Here are a couple of pictures from the hundreds that Gus took over the weekend. Other photos here:

Barnoldswick and Barlickers Then and Now

The second guitar was a vintage electric Bass which was donated by Peter Barton from McCullough's Music and Arts Centre (Irish Bar) on Rainhall Road.

Barnoldswick Music and Arts Centre

That one was one by Jenny Jones who is Stav's wife, so that one went to an accomplished musician. Here is Graham tuning the Bass before it goes into the raffle.

Like you say Stanley it's good that the community gets involved to both organise and support.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The politicians can bang on as much as they like and imagine they matter but occasions like this are the heart of the matter. Once again, congrats all round.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Our Shopping Evening at the Civic Centre last night was not strictly a fund raiser for the group. More of an opportunity of thanking a lot of the local artisans that support us all year round. We rented the Civic Hall and gave free table space to any of the local traders who wanted to attend. We bought and supplied Prosecco and warm Mulled Wine plus soft drinks in exchange for a donation to the group. All the artisans provided a prize for the raffle and we ended up with about 15 prizes, we sold the tickets at £1 a strip.

The event was both enjoyed by the traders and was very well attended by members of the public. Jolly atmosphere and a relaxed environment. All in all a very successful evening. We covered our outlays with a healthy surplus. We have run these events in the run up to Christmas before but had to stop during the pandemic, first one for three years. We will no doubt be repeating the event next year. :smile:

It was our monthly Coffee Morning this morning which again was well attended. Cancer support group next Tuesday night. Bereavement support group on the second Tuesday of the month.

Our next whole community event will be "Light For A Loved One" which will be held in the town square on Sunday 18th December at 6pm. This will be illuminated paper lanterns that can be personalised if required. The lights are battery powered. A short remembrance period will be held to remember those that we have lost. Participants will keep their lanterns.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Once again, well done all involved! :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

A fantastic night last night at one of our supporters 65th birthday bashes. Ellie shunned present etc in favour of donations to Bosom Friends, she put on pie, (6 or 7 variants from memory), peas, gravy and the other bits to chuck on top. A nice lime biscuit base with yoghurt topping for afters. She has just told us that her efforts have raised a very respectable total just short of £500.00 for the group. Good banter with a nice group of friends to go with it. :good: :smile:
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Seen in the News

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 05 Nov 2023, 03:17 Well done Ellie! That's a magnificent effort.....
Indeed Stanley, Ellie is a regular supporter and usually does a foody thing for the group each year. :good: :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Funny thing is that my last post seems to have vaporised..... :biggrin2:
And the rest of the posts on the page are from 2022.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

The rest of your post apart from the sentence I quoted Stanley has been moved to a more appropriate thread "Seen in the News" I think it was. Kens post and the main bit of your reply were about the problems in Gaza and not relative to this thread so I moved them and just kept the bit that I replied to. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ah.... so it's my fault. :biggrin2: I hold my hand up, it had me a bit confused!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Free money for the group via a way-leave deal with Yorkshire Water who contacted us to ask if they could install a mast, antenna and radio link on our Green Street Centre to talk to and relay the data from their smart water meters to the mobile network. No problem to us we just provide a power source to power the mast mounted transceiver, around 3w so not going to break the bank. The way-leave deal is very attractive and will return us a few hundred each year. Will have to make a notice for the socket not to disconnect or switch off. Not likely as its by the upstairs fire escape. I might put a cover on the socket.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

How nice to hear of a large company accepting the fact that they should be a good neighbour and pay a reasonable amount!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Quite a difference to the 75p a year that I used to get from Redifusion for their muti-conductor cable TV lead that was fixed along the gable of our house on York Street. :extrawink:

On another matter, I mentioned a socket cover above. I tried to order one from Amazon (they were the cheapest source with free postage) last night. Spent 10 minutes trying to dump Prime which was of course attached as a free trial to the order. Clicked the additions section of the basket, then the tab to say no thanks. OK and then back to the basket and it's still there! Also tried via the options in my account, it wasn't having it. So they lost a sale, exited without completing and went to bed. I have always managed to dodge it in the past. I don't know how they can get away with that as a seller as it surely must be sharp practice?

Anyway back to Bosom Friends stuff. It's Santa Fun Run registration day at the centre today. Rotary club has taken over the running of the event and any profits will be shared between Bosom Friends and Rotary charities. Two of the Santa suits will be hiding Sally and Wendy who will be walking the route with maybe an odd trot on any slight downhill bits. :smile:

Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

On the subject of Amazon and their relentless plugging of Prime..... I agree with you totally Ian, I was a good customer of Amazon until they started playing fast and loose, I even found myself signed up for Prime once. I noticed that in an attempt to sicken you with high delivery charges they also regularly booked you for the most expensive next day service even though you has specifically chosen the cheapest option.
It's arrogance and total disregard of the customer's desires. I actively avoid the firm now.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Our next event is the Christmas Shopping event at the Civic Hall on the 1st December in the evening. A free market for local artisans to showcase and sell their products. We vend Prosecco, Mulled Wine or a soft drink in exchange for a donation and there is usually a raffle as well.

There will also be another opportunity to sign up for the Santa Fun Run for those that couldn't make the earlier sign up options.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Both events at the Civic Hall went OK last night. Long day for Sally and myself, we were there at 2pm transferring stuff from our centre and setting up the tables etc. I heated the mulled wine first in the microwave then transferred it to our triple slow cooker which kept it nice and warm. At the other end the Prosecco was chilled nicely in the fridge by the kick off. The hall was full of local makers and artisans who all contributed prizes for the raffle. Footfall not quite as good as last year but the weather would have a lot to do with that.

Down in the bottom room Sharon and the Rotary lads were still signing up folk for the Santa Run and vending the suits. I think they signed up going on for another 50 or so. Santa Fun Run is on Sunday 10th December and starts at 11am. :smile: :santa2:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

'Santa Fun Run' sounds like a contradiction in terms to me! :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Sally and our very own Wendy will be in the mix, walking it though, but I bet they wont be the last back even though it's not a race. :extrawink:
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We can keep up a good pace!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Indeed. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ian, how is the new web page faring?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Website is fine, Its the Facebook page which was compromised Stanley. We have instigated a replacement Facebook site up which is gathering followers.

B.E. Bosom Friends

The new site has better security.

It is gathering likes and followers but has a way to go to catch the one that was compromised, that had 17,000 followers It had been up for 11 years though!
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At least it's working!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Indeed, early doors and the replacement is doing the same job.

At least the Facebook likes and followers are from other registered Facebook users.

Not like the post hit totals on here, the majority are bot hits and not actually from members and visitors
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Wine, (Red and White) is bought and the mushy peas for the pies which will be picked up tomorrow from Miles the pie man. Found red cabbage and beetroot at Aldi on the wine run today. We have spare Prosecco from the shopping night. So, all fit for the volunteers Pie and Pea bash at the centre on Sunday. Will pop into the centre tomorrow after we have secured the pies to check the cutlery and plate / bowl situation. :smile:
Ian

Return to “BE Bosom Friends”