Blood Donors

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: Blood Donors

Post by PanBiker »

I have just checked back on my email attempts to get donor sessions reinstated in Barlick. Nothing positive apart from an acknowledgement of receipt since last August when I started with my appeal. I have pulled the reference number and emailed them again to see if they have made any approaches to the two venues that I suggested. Both meet all the premise criteria that they stipulate and both have been used by NHSBT before.

Currently the nearest available venues for my next donation are in Burnley or Skipton.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Wouldn't you think they would listen to anyone who cared enough to make a suggestion.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I think it is more a case of staffing. They have a finite number of team members and it requires a full team to open and run a donor session. I know Barlick was passed back to the Yorkshire team just before the pandemic so their nearest venue at the moment is Ermystead's at Skipton, but that relies on the school being closed for holidays. Consequently it gets oversubscribed quite quickly. They would more or less have an anytime opportunity in Barlick.

The Lancashire team has to return to Manchester after the sessions to offload the collection. I think it is Bradford for the Yorkshire team. One of the reasons given when I mention it at the sessions. West Craven is just a bit too far!

They must have put a lot of Barlick and Earby folk off as I rarely see anyone else that I know at the alternative venues. I did see one last session though. Anywhere in Barlick would be within walking distance instead of the current bus or car journey that you have to make.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

So basically it all comes down to the old problem of underfunding. Yet another crime to lay at the door of Cameron and Osborne..... What a bloody shower!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I think this what is known as spin or click bait. Odd they don't mention her salary or the value of her house. :smile:

BBC Breakfast presenter Naga Munchetty is flooded with support as she shares a photo from hospital bed

The BBC Breakfast presenter revealed that she was 'feeling good' in hospital
Followers offered support as they thanked the presenter for sharing her story

Naga Munchetty has received a wave of support as she shared a picture of herself in a hospital bed.
The BBC Breakfast presenter, 48, rushed to hospital immediately after her television shift on Friday
► Show Spoiler
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's outrageous! They have cut back on journalists to the point where 'news' has to be manufactured in-house!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

They don't put me on the news when I give an armful. :dontgetit: :extrawink:
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Ruby goes home tomorrow so that involves a trip with her to Leeds to see she gets her connection to Birmingham. Sally normally goes with her but I have decided to go as well as I can kill two birds with one stone.

Not donated for a while so I checked the Leeds Donor Centre. Managed to find a slot just after lunch and within the return ticket period for the train back to Skipton. 11.17 out from Skipton into Leeds at 12.00. Rubies connection at about 12.15 then a short walk up to the donor centre on the Headrow for my appointment at 13.10. Sally will have a look at the shops while I donate and then we will meet back up for a brew and the 15.26 back to Skipton.

I have my train tickets on my phone and confirmation emails for both the train and my blood donor session. As Hannibal from the A Team says, "I like it when a plan comes together". :smile:
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Most readers of One Guy will know that Ian (PanBiker) and Kevin (Big Kev) are more than regular donors to this cause. Fortunately for a lot of people there are many others who anonymously give their time and blood to help others. To put some meaning to these generous donations Mrs P cousin has spent years undergoing chemo for breast cancer then Hodgkin Lymphoma is now suffering acute leukemia. After more chemo she is now dependent on blood transfusions to keep her going. Its impossible to express the gratitude that these life extending transfusions are giving. So a big THANK YOU to all those who give so generously to this cause.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Nice of you to say it Ken and glad to do it, still only 4% of eligible donors though who support everyone who depends on the service.

My donation will be a spit from LGI where I spent 3 weeks a few years ago. I didn't need blood for my surgery but I'm sure my armful will come in handy for someone that does. :smile:

Or up to five people depending on how they process my donation.

Anyone reading this in the UK, come on, if you are generally fit and eligible to donate..... register and do something amazing.

Who can give blood
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I was rejected as 'unclean' many years ago because they reckon you never get rid of Brucellosis from your system. Used to be an occupational disease of vets....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

You have mentioned that many times before Stanley and you are not "unclean", just a higher risk of infection.

Ten minute walk up from the station after seeing Ruby off on the Portsmouth train. Had to hike over the overpass about five platforms to where it came in. Ten minute walk up to the I bought a Steak Bake on the station and after finding the Donor Centre we had our lunch outside the Art Gallery which was just a spit away. Just over half an hour to kill before my appointment.

Sally went off shopping while I went to the Donor Centre. Was presented with a medical questionnaire with all my donor record on after registering at the front desk. As a permanent station it is very nice inside, proper offices for triage etc and air conditioned throughout. Offered my right arm today, not been in that one for a few sessions, I was done in less than 10 minutes. :smile: After my sit down and refreshments I met back up with Sally and we had a look in the Art Gallery as it was a lot cooler than the square and pavements outside. We had a bit of time to kill before our return train. Picked that up at 15.30 and were back in Skipton at 16.15. No room to park at the station so we were on the canal car park behind the bus station. I walked up to the car, Sally picked her new glasses up from Specsavers, she had an appointment for tomorrow but rang to see if they were ready and they were. Nice little jaunt out but very warm pounding the streets.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ah! So the recurring bouts I have had for most of my life have been reinfections? :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I would say flare ups of a latent infection. As far as blood donors is concerned there are a raft of possible reasons why an individual can't donate. They include mad cow disease (CJD) or contact with anyone who has it and West Nile fever to name just a couple. Any "foreign" needles are a bouncer if recent, visits to the dentist will bounce you as well. Fortunately stuff like this doesn't apply to the majority. Having said that the service still suffers from only 4% of eligible donors who regularly rock up.

One thing I did notice after I had booked in and was waiting to be called to triage. All the younger ones that were booking in were asked to consider signing up for platelet or bone marrow donation and given reading material to that effect. :smile:

I must remember to ask our Jack as he registered for platelet donation as there is a centre quite near his works office.

I have a bit of a bruise this morning on my underused right arm, no jiggling required it flowed like a gud un. :smile:
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Just booked my next session at Burnley Turf Moor - 10th November 14.45. :smile:

Moved my appointment to the Life Church in Burnley, 21st November 14.30, didn't check the calendar!

Better anyway a little later as it will be 14 weeks since yesterdays donation rather than 12 and a bit. Got into bother last year for trying to fit 4 sessions in each year. The 12 week iron level recovery for blokes catches up with you as you get older.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Just received a text to say my last donation went to Manchester General Hospital. :smile:
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I have had a couple of emails now from NHSBT appealing for my blood type (A+) for platelet donation. I have toyed with the idea before but the main limiting factor is that you can only donate platelets at 25 centres around the UK. Nearest for Barlick is Bradford or Leeds. Bradford donation centre is right in the city centre just off Forster Square. The Leeds one is just off the Headrow where I have given a blood donation before. The sessions are 90 to 120 minutes and you can donate about every two weeks as platelet recovery is much faster than the recovery time for a whole blood donation (12 weeks for a bloke). The website says that most platelet donors donate about 5 times a year. It would be a day out of a job at either venue. Platelets are used extensively for cancer treatments.

NHSBT Platelet Donation
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That requires impressive commitment Ian! :good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Life Church in Burnley for me this afternoon for my donation. Just filled in my medical questionnaire, nothing to invoke the dark blue nurse this time. :extrawink: :good:

Just checked back in this thread and it is over ten years ago that I was reporting that only 4% of eligible donors turn up to the sessions. Nothing has changed, it is still 4% that support everyone in the country. It makes me think of the 300 Spartans.

Anyone reading this that can donate please do. It's less than an hour of your time that can make a difference to the lifetime of someone else.

NHS Blood and Transplant
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Session was fine yesterday although my appointment was delayed a little. The team were trialling a 12 chair session rather than the normal 9. They had two extra staff on the team for the trial. The Life Church is a big venue and it was very busy. Once I was hooked up it only took ten minutes for my donation. :smile:
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I booked my next session for the 14th February next year, same venue, back at the Life Church. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My birthday.... Must be getting close again!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

12 weeks to go Stanley. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Time passes so quickly for me these days. I think it's a consequence of age, I wouldn't have believed it could pass so quickly when I was young.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

My last donation on 21st November has been issued to the Christie Hospital, Manchester. :smile:
Ian

Return to “Volunteering Opportunities”