Today I shall be Mainly...

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Big Kev »

Sue wrote: 07 Jul 2021, 06:33 We were lucky to get the pond done when we did it.
Is there some sort of run off, or overflow? I'm interested to know what happens when it rains not having a pond myself.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've had some very good meals at that restaurant including one when I found I had forgotten my card, they trusted me until the following day when I called in and paid.... I think you might get some sun this afternoon.

I've had a nice two hours this morning. I've almost finished the valve.
One thing I have noted is that my standards are falling due to the fact I think I have things right when I machine them and then find out my eyes have let me down. I'm not letting it bother me, just going forward doing the best I can while enjoying the work!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Setting off for a couple of nights away in Thoresby Hall Hotel to be waited on and entertained. That will be nice.
20210706_214705.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Ooh lovely!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Big Kev wrote: 07 Jul 2021, 07:27
Sue wrote: 07 Jul 2021, 06:33 We were lucky to get the pond done when we did it.
Is there some sort of run off, or overflow? I'm interested to know what happens when it rains not having a pond myself.
F03FC8A6-0D43-4EF3-8FA4-A53C6B69A8EC.jpeg
The maximum possible height is level with a garden border , so it soaks away. We have marginal plants there that like the wet. When its really bad it just joins the flood and bog in the rest of the garden.

Where people normally have a lawn the garden is paved or gravel, the water from there runs into our flower borders , so they get a good watering when it rains
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Sue on 07 Jul 2021, 15:31, edited 7 times in total.
If you keep searching you will find it
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Big Kev wrote: 07 Jul 2021, 08:53 Setting off for a couple of nights away in Thoresby Hall Hotel to be waited on and entertained. That will be nice.
20210706_214705.jpg
Very nice too, enjoy
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

The rain is nice and warm and the thunder and lightning is putting on a good show. The sun is coming out tomorrow so a good walk around Thoresby Park is on the cards, dinner and the Ball and Boe tribute now. I did change for dinner in case anyone was concerned about standards :biggrin2:
20210707_173203.jpg
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Evidence of maintained standards
20210707_201902.jpg
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Kev, thought that was your newly decorated room for a second, haha. Looking good Kev. 😊
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

To the manner born....
I looked at the clevis i MADE YESTERDAY AND DECIDED IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN QUICK BUT IT WASN'T STRAIGHT SO THE FIRST THING i DO THIS MORNING IS REMAKE IT PROPERLY. (bugger caps lock...)
After that quietly on with a usual day, shopping tomorrow.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Cathy wrote: 08 Jul 2021, 01:10 Kev, thought that was your newly decorated room for a second, haha. Looking good Kev. 😊
:biggrin2: thanks Cathy.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Smart fellar, signing in to one guy there!

Lovely sunny morning, not sure of the forecast but I think it is meant to be drier today. First call of the day was a psir of noisy jackdaws and for the first time in a couple of weeks, the fat-ball container is down. We can’t see ot from the bedroom window, it may well be in the pond, in which case it has probably irretrievably sunk. Last time it went in the pond the level was low and it landed on a thick heap of pond weed, now no longer there.

Today I have pilates this morning, then a bit of sewing to finish the jeans I am making. This afternoon I am at Vicki's for a pedicure, this evening we have a zoom meeting with our friends Jean and Bob

Thats my day, enjoy yours
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Better weather for it all today I think. I've had a good two hours in the shed and done good things. Here's the difference between yesterday's quick job and today's more considered approach.... :biggrin2:

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Today I've been to the newly renovated and revamped Craven Museum in Skipton Town Hall which is brilliant! It was always a slightly dull and drab place but now it is very different with much more of their collection on display. There is a display of Welbury Holgate's finds from the Hare Hill burial mound including the wonderful Neolithic axe head found beneath the Bronze Age burials. I've seen the photos in Keith Boughey's book but to see the burial vessels and jet items in the flesh is remarkable. The Celtic head found in Wentcliffe Beck is there as well.
Well worth a visit!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Are they still displaying the Bronze Age axe head found at the foot of Weets on Causeway Carr back in the early 80's? That has a nice chased ornamental design from memory.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I don't know Ian, there was so much to take in that I only concentrated on the Hare Hill finds. Margaret was with me and we had a long conversation with one of the museum staff who was shocked to hear that the Hare Hill site has been surrounded with commercial tree planting.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sounds like a half day out Wendy. I shall speak to the management.
Today might include an hour in the shed but will mainly be the early doors weekly shop at the Co-op and then veggies at Chaudrey's at dinnertime. The butcher delivers tonight, I think we have the kitchen in hand!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

The museum has an online ticket booking system at the moment Stanley but there is no cost.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

That sounds like a good visit Wendy, may give it a try sometime. This morning is lovely and sunny, though I believe it will cloud up later and we may have a shower of rain this afternoon.

We are off to Bacup market as tomorrow we are going down to Coventry for the day so this will be short. When we get back I shall do a couple of hours art . The u3a art restarts today but I have decided not to join them until September when we have had the various short breaks we have planned. I don’t really want to sit in a room with a mask on for 2.5 hours, though we have bought visors for such activities, instead I shall be working on the same project at home at the same time. I had suggested they set up a zoom screen so we could all chat but I think it fell on deaf ears. I suppose its my choice not to go, its not as if I am shielding. This afternoon we may go for a much needed long walk.

Last night we confirmed our ferry booking to France moving it forward by a day so we can get the required tests done the day before. The ferry was on a Monday when meant we needed an antigen test The Sunday, but the testing centre is closed on a Sunday. We could have had a PCR test on the Saturday, but we save quite a bit of money with the antigen test. The new ruling on double vaccinated people travelling to amber countries means we no longer need to quarantine when we get home, we need fewer tests, and our travel insurance will be valid. Its all good news for us, so we are off on August the 3 rd for just over two weeks. Our french neighbours are delighted. Its not without a bit of risk but little more than living in Greater Manchester and once there we will be more isolated than here. We can keep to our cabin on the ferry and being overnight we will be asleep any way. Fingers crossed that everything goes according to plan. We have obtained our vaccine certificates, through the NHS app, which is valid for 30 days, but can renew it at anytime online, and we have downloaded the french declaration that we are infection free. We just have to book the tests but the helpful lady at the Rochdale test centre that I spoke to two weeks ago even replied to my queries late last night and offered to do all the booking for us . Its a big decision but we need to go ASAP and it has been causing some concerns at Chez Rochdale.

So must drink my tea and get off to Bacup. Have a good day all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm glad I don't have to go to all that trouble Sue but then I'm an old stay at home now, my travelling days are over!
I've done my weekly Co-op early doors shop and will do the veggie shopping later. I had an hour in the shed and apart from one slight mistake, again down to seeing straight. It's not serious, I can cope with it.

Outside it's quite a bright morning..... Things could be worse.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I'm glad I don't have to go to all that trouble Sue but then I'm an old stay at home now, my travelling days are over!.....

YES its a right performance Stanley and it takes some getting your head round, but then its all for a valid reason, including the trip. We have never left the house empty longer than 4 months before let alone 15 months
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My adventure today was to sit with daughter Susan in Town Square for an hour and a half catching up on news, drinking coffee and eating Eccles Cakes. We have agreed we must do it more often.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 09 Jul 2021, 13:33 My adventure today was to sit with daughter Susan in Town Square for an hour and a half catching up on news, drinking coffee and eating Eccles Cakes. We have agreed we must do it more often.
Now that sounds good and very enjoyable. Yes you must do it often , like we do lunch with Wendy and Keith once a week , its just a normal pleasant activity
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think Susan is doing too much sitting because of the fatigue that comes with the Sarcoidosis. We agreed we have to follow Wendy's tip and go the Skipton to the museum. And yes it was nice in the Square.
Today is a shed day, no excuses, all shopping done. I might start fitting the cylinder, I have decided not to paint the castings.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Another thing to look out for at the museum is the Leeds Liverpool Canal map produced by Joseph Priestley the surveyor in about 1790. Sadly it is too high up for small people to see the detail clearly!

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”