Today I shall be Mainly...

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Stanley »

Morning Sue. Those bloody Herons are relentless. I remember when one took up residence near Burton in the dales and a mate of mine who ran the PO there and enjoyed his trout fishing in the beck was cleaned out. The heron took every fish in the dale..... I hope some of your fish survived!
Off to bed now....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Back in the world after a nice second sleep. It's dry out there, just. I shall think about going for a walk once I have had a hot drink.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I never did go for a walk because it started raining..... :biggrin2:
I shall be in the shed at 06:00 carrying on with the slow and interesting work of final fitting on the engine. I am tempted to go in again later in the day but resist it because this work has to be subsidised by me to the tune of £600 an engine!
Nothing on my social calendar for the rest of the day......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My first task this morning was to install the packing in the piston rod gland. Dead easy..... I don't think! It involved re-threading the studs and in all it took me just over half an hour to fit it to my satisfaction. Next I took the bed off the base and fitted the oak plinth to the base in place of the temporary plinth. It's beginning to look like an engine! That was well over an hour, now for breakfast.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

It was definitely an indoor day yesterday. I nearly got my washing dry before the heavens opened, giving a mixture of rain, sleet and snow throughout the day. I dried the last of it in the drier or airing cupboard and so still managed to do the ironing. I then decoded to sew finding an old pattern and a piece of fabric from my stash.

This morning is art at Haslingden where I am doing a short demonstration, this afternoon will be more sewing.

Have a good day all.
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was definitely an indoor day yesterday.
That it was Sue.... And up to now today is going to be the same. I have decided there is nothing in the town that won't wait until tomorrow when I think it might be slightly more clement!
I hope your demonstration goes well in Haslingden.... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

We went for a 2mile walk yesterday before the rain set in. It was steady from then on all day, with the odd very heavy shower which lasted about 5mins. This morning is looking much the same.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I started the morning by trimming the studs on the back lid. Then I turned my attention to the eccentric strap because |I need to make that before the eccentric. Now for breakfast.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Yesterday art in the morning ( the demo went well) a short walk to the post box after lunch and sewing in the afternoon. This morning is hairdressers for a much needed cut followed by lunch out with Wendy and Keith. A largely uneventful day except for nearly being knocked over by a motorbike!.

We were walking along the pavement towards the post box, I had my head down as I was trying to avoid various holes and other obstacles in the tarmac when suddenly there was a motorbike coming for me on the pavement. I tripped and nearly fell into it. When I turned to look at said biker it had turned and was coming back parking next to us just outside the chippy. Bob asked him what he thought he was doing riding on the pavement but he had the audacity to say I should have looked where I was going as he was collecting a delivery from the chippy. We pointed out HE was on the pavement riding a motor bike and that I was looking where I was going, head down avoiding cracks and holes. There was even a large parking space on the road next to us. He did ´sort of ´apologise to me but it could have been nasty . A man in a car saw it all and said the motorcyclists did the same thing the day before. My heart was pounding as we walked back home .

Rain later today in the form of a thunderstorm. Have a good day all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's terrible Sue and is another example of how society is suffering because of the lack of everyday police supervision of our streets. Those bikers are only doing it because they know they can get away with it. I hope nothing like that happens today.
Nice to see the site back it only reappeared at 06:30. I am not trying to catch up, I am going to bed....
See you later!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have done my weekly Co-op shop and am now brewed up. I shall quietly work my way through the Active Topics. (I missed them this morning!) I hope we manage to stay on line today.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I think yesterday intermittent site slowdown and other sundry problems are down to a dodgy DNS server at the hosts. The slowdown looked suspiciously like another DDos attack with the server CPU ramped up to 100% and the RAM also at 100% usage. I checked the 8000 line long proxy error log and cloned the IP's into a spreadsheet for easier sorting. After review there was nothing particularly amiss. Ping and Tracert commands to the site always stopped and timed out as soon as the search hit the IONOS servers. This seemed to have resolved by early evening last night and the site was fully functional later before I went to bed.

Stanley, you probably fell foul of maintenance work on the hosting site in the early hours. One of the disadvantages of being such an early riser. Site looks fine this morning so I think a problem on the hosting site is the most likely cause of yesterdays woe's.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The site is displaying the same lag in posting it was showing yesterday at this time. I don't think this is routine maintenance.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I can find nothing wrong at the moment Stanley. Just done a test post and it was instantaneous. Server Stats just now:
CPU 13.74%
Ram 33%
HD used 45GB, Free 65GB

Any particular topic that you are having problems with?
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

In the little box in the header that signals the tab there is a dot dodging from side to side which I have always understood to be evidence the server is still working. I shall post this to see if it's OK.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It seems to be OK. I shall ignore the dot!
I shall be in the shed as usual at 06:00 doing useful things to my eccentric strap. I shall aim for a walk later. I thought I might have to go veggie shopping today but after a reassessment it can wait until Monday......
Otherwise a quiet day.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 30 Mar 2024, 02:50 I thought I might have to go veggie shopping today but after a reassessment it can wait until Monday......
Otherwise a quiet day.
Will Choudry's be open on Monday?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Just reading the posts above , can I. Say that yesterday I too experienced a lagtime in both opening articles and in posting. I commented to Bob that something was up.

Yesterday turned out better than expected, the thundery rain didn’t happen and what rain we had was light and short lived. We even managed a pleasant walk around Hollingworth Lake ( which was really busy) between the hairdressers and lunch. Today promises to be nice. We are off to Bacup market this morning, no plans for the afternoon and this evening we are taking Claire, Adam and Erin out for a curry for Adam’s birthday. Its Bobs first venture into spicy food since his low fibre, low spice diet started way back in January.

Have a good day all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think so, If not I shall have to survive! :biggrin2:
Just seen your post Sue. I am just going on as usual keeping my fingers crossed. The site is looking better than it did earlier. Here's hoping Bob can manage normal foods! :good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

On with the eccentric strap. First I refined the shape by filing to give me enough room for the nuts on the shoulders of the bolt locations. Then I drilled for the oil hole, making a cup with the centre drill and piercing through to the centre with a 1/8" drill. Next I drilled for the 5BA bolts that will hold the two halves of the strap together when It has been split. I fitted the bolts to make sure I had room for the heads and the nuts. Then I marked the strap with witness marks for when it is in two halves. Nest I cut out the pocket for the end of the flat eccentric rod, 5/16". Before I put the normal cutter back in the mill I gave it a quick lick in the Clarkson T&C grinder. That's enough for now. I want my breakfast!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

This seems odd reading these posts from yesterday, I couldn’t get on from Thursday morning when it was on a go slow, until this morning, no chance of getting on yesterday.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It knocked as hole in my life as well Gloria but we seem to be back to normal now. :good:

I shall be in the shed as usual but perhaps later because of losing an hour to the change of clocks.
After that all the clocks will need altering and the one on the cooker requires a degree in higher mathematics!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

ImageMore work on the strap. First some checks on dimensions and then mark up for splitting. Into the VM for splitting with the slitting saw, my only way to guarantee a straight cut! Then clean up the cuts and replace the bolts. Next I popped it under the pillar drill and drilled and tapped for the 5BA CS screw that will fasten the strap to the rod.
After that I gathered up the candidates for the next lot of machining, the eccentric and the support for the valve rod and the governor. That was a productive hour and now I want my breakfast.
One extra duty this morning, I have set all the clocks to BST.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Good day yesterday. We did a bit of garden pottering and I transplanted some of my seedings and geranium cuttings into bigger pots in the greenhouse. We enjoyed a good curry at the local restaurant with no ill effects for Bob although it was just the two of us as sadly Erin was ill so the others could not come. We rebooked for next Sunday. This morning I had an email from my cousin who lives near San Francisco whom I have been trying to contact for two years. His niece gave me another email address for his wife hoping that would work and it did. That makes me feel very good indeed on this bright sunny morning.

Today is the first running of the train at the park, and I think it will be very busy. Bob is still keeping away from crowds whilst his white blood cells return to normal so he will only go down later on to collect the money. This morning I think we will prune back the higher branches of the apple tree which seem to be reaching for the sky. Yesterday we treated the pond again for blanket weed. Since the heron event we have not seen many fish but we did see 5 yesterday and the baby fish . There should be 7 , the others could be lurking at the bottom.

Have a good day all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's dry here Sue but it's still cold, although I am sure that this feeling the cold more is down to old age.
Glad it looks as though your fish have survived the heron visitation..... And really good news that Bob is back in curry mode. I think he's really sensible to be careful about too much contact at the park. I've said all along that the fact I have done so well re. Covid is because I am anti-social..... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”