DIALECT AND WORD MEANINGS

Tripps
VIP Member

Re: DIALECT AND WORD MEANINGS

Post by Tripps »

Wendyf wrote: 21 Aug 2022, 06:21 pronouncing Sebastopol as Sebba-stoppol yesterday, is this the latest trend?
Those who have been keeping up will already be aware of the correct pronunciation of the towns of Crimea.

Look HERE then click on the link to Zhankoye in the post.

I was surprised how long ago I posted it, and I've had to update the link to the song. This isn't the first time Putin had invaded Ukraine. The detail of it all is beyond me, but I don't remember worrying quite so much last time.

Anyway - enjoy a taste of my kind of music. :smile:

PS - I'm waiting for the BBC to be consistent in its approach, and speak of 'Paree' - and Roma for Rome, and Firenze for Florence, but I think it may be a long wait.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

:good:
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Like Porche and Nestle, suddenly the pronunciation changed.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bumper sticker seen in US..... "We have a front Porche and a back Porche"
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Listening to Ramblings on R4 and they are up at Malham today. During discussions about 'Janet's Foss', a place name near Malham, it was mentioned that the word 'foss' is Scandinavian for waterfall and this is why so many waterfalls in the Dales are named 'Force'. I can't remember knowing that.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I had a bad night last night and much radio channel hopping was involved. I've a vague memory of hearing Clare Balding's voice saying 'Malham' several times.

Here are some 'alternative facts'. Of course both might be true. :smile:

Walking the Fosse Way -
The name “Fosse” derives from the Latin fossa meaning “ditch”; probably less to do with road-building techniques than with the suggestion that the Way followed a one-time defensive ditch running along the western border of Roman-controlled England.9 Aug 2022
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I looked at the etymology of foss and in essence it comes from Old Nordic fors or foss and means waterfall.
'Fosse' is quite different and derives from Old French ; fosse, from Latin ; fossa (“ditch, trench”).
Complicated stuff this word origins lark.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Tripps wrote: 03 Sep 2022, 09:45 Of course both might be true.
And so it came to pass.

Can't help noticing similarities between force and foss and the Yorkshire pronunciation of horse and hoss.
Though perhaps I have watched too much of 'All Creatures Great and Small' ? :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Have we ever considered the use of 'degging' for watering? As in degging-can. It came into my mind as I opened the back door and found it was raining heavily, I thought good, we need a good degging. Is it local or have I picked it up somewhere in my travels?
"Though perhaps I have watched too much of 'All Creatures Great and Small' "
David, you can't watch too much of that!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 05 Sep 2022, 02:30 Have we ever considered the use of 'degging' for watering? As in degging-can.
I've known 'degging can' for a long time - not heard since childhood though, and never heard degging used in any other sense. Certainly never heard in connection with rainfall.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Tripps wrote: 06 Sep 2022, 10:52
Stanley wrote: 05 Sep 2022, 02:30 Have we ever considered the use of 'degging' for watering? As in degging-can.
I've known 'degging can' for a long time - not heard since childhood though, and never heard degging used in any other sense. Certainly never heard in connection with rainfall.
Is it connected to a good drenching ?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Heard on World Service this morning.... 'Shero' referring to female heroes in Marvel Films.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I'm told we've now left the Elizabethan age and with a new King Charles entered a Carolean age. Apparently it's Carolean and not Carolinian because the latter refers back to Charles I and the former to Charles II and we don't want our new man to lose his head. :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Tizer wrote: 11 Sep 2022, 10:28 I'm told we've now left the Elizabethan age and with a new King Charles entered a Carolean age. Apparently it's Carolean and not Carolinian because the latter refers back to Charles I and the former to Charles II and we don't want our new man to lose his head. :smile:
We're not 'Charlies' then? :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

He could have chosen any name as King. I was hoping he would have gone with Arthur (one of his middle names). It has a certain ring to it. :smile:

As it is he is a third which has been modified in the past, especially with Richard. :extrawink:
Ian
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Big Kev wrote: 11 Sep 2022, 10:43
Tizer wrote: 11 Sep 2022, 10:28 I'm told we've now left the Elizabethan age and with a new King Charles entered a Carolean age. Apparently it's Carolean and not Carolinian because the latter refers back to Charles I and the former to Charles II and we don't want our new man to lose his head. :smile:
We're not 'Charlies' then? :biggrin2:
So HM Subjects are Charles the Third's Herd ? Or a right bunch of Charlies ?
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

Cannot find the punctuation or Pedant's thread. But DHCMS has apparently banned double negatives in writing , along with the Oxford Comma. Something I dont fully understand, despite and OED definition and a newspaper's example.

<quote>
They said the Government has “set out a broad guide for staff to help provide an efficient service to the public and deliver better outcomes to patients”.

What is the Oxford Comma?
Ironically, the Oxford Dictionary has all the answers. The official definition of the Oxford comma is “a comma used after the penultimate item in a list of three or more items, before ‘and’ or ‘or’.”

For example: “Today I went to lunch with my roommates, Tom, and Molly.”

The comma between “Tom” and “and” tells us that all three entities mentioned are separate and that Tom and Molly are not the speaker’s roommates, but additional lunchmates. <endquote>

The example does look to be bad english, and the guidence may well be a general civil service style guide for official communication which would make sense to have at hand.

The example really one would normally say (and write), " I went to lunch with Tom. Molly and my roomates." (thus not only putting the general after the specific , but removing the ambiguity which could still arise when verbalising the phrase on text to speech for the blind for example on webpages nowadays, where even a comma pause could be overlooked or missed in the reading. The phrasing is one of the forms of English that do give the amusing comedy of activity, subject and description , that I dont think other languages have where they force the order of the referencing and reporting in speech, wonder why English does have it ?
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

What is the Oxford Comma? As I understand it we are not talking about straight forward grammar punctuation that was drummed into us at school but 'woke' language, whatever that is, and repetitive Palilalia or Redundant Acronym Syndrome syndrome. A bit like what I've just done. :biggrin2:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Who cares Ken. Like so much grammar we don't know the actual rules but we still get it right because it was drummed into us by our teachers and very well-written comics like the Adventure..... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Stanley wrote: 16 Sep 2022, 02:09 ....and very well-written comics like the Adventure.....
I remember one of the Doctors where Mrs P worked was re-locating to Egypt and we were buying some of his utility machines. My pal was helping with his trailer. Sat having a cup of tea the conversation turned to India the Doctors home country. My pal came out with loads of history and names and facts. Afterwards I said where did you get all that from. "The Adventure" was his reply.
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

plaques wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 20:32 What is the Oxford Comma? As I understand it we are not talking about straight forward grammar punctuation that was drummed into us at school but 'woke' language, whatever that is, and repetitive Palilalia or Redundant Acronym Syndrome syndrome. A bit like what I've just done. :biggrin2:
I still get confused that Oxford Bags are a design of a pair of trousers.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A word came to mind yesterday which I haven't heard for a long time. "Trudgen". I looked it up to make sure my memory was accurate and sure enough, there it was.
"n. A swimming stroke in which alternating overarm movements are combined with a scissors kick.
[After John Trudgen (1852-1902), British swimmer.]

Another entry in Wikipedia:
The trudgen is a swimming stroke sometimes known as the racing stroke, or the East Indian stroke. It is named after the English swimmer John Trudgen and evolved out of sidestroke. One swims mostly upon one side, making an overhand movement, lifting the arms alternately out of the water
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

I would amend that definition into a modified side stroke. Dad used to swim this stroke when he was learning me back in the mid 1940s at a time when the 'Australian' crawl had taken over. He told me in its day it was considered the fastest racing stroke beating the side stroke. The swimming movement is basically the side stroke but only 'one' arm is lifted out of the water as per crawl, not alternatively, the other deeper arm completes the side stroke movement.
On days when the old shoulder is acting up I do the odd length using the trudgen much to the amusement of the youngsters who have never seen it being used. :smile:
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Ask someone to take a video and put it on social media - you'll be an instant celebrity, Plaques! :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Tizer wrote: 17 Sep 2022, 08:50 Ask someone to take a video and put it on social media - you'll be an instant celebrity, Plaques!
No cameras allowed in the pool.... Thank god. :laugh5:

Return to “General Miscellaneous Chat & Gossip”