ENERGY MATTERS

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: ENERGY MATTERS

Post by Stanley »

Indeed David. Quite ridiculous and wasn't needed as it turned out.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Regarding the COP, more than a COP OUT in my view. After all flying there in their individual jet aircraft's, (some more than once) and waffling on for a fortnight. They have reached agreement to maybe start looking at ways to reduce the use of fossil fuels. In other words nothing will happen! Status Quo as usual., The UAE States will still produce and sell at vast profit the only thing they have apart from sand and that is oil, China will continue to build and use coal fired power stations at an alarming rate. Meanwhile the inhabitants of the thousands of small islands in the Pacific will sink into the sea. Why does the whole job make me think of Nero?
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

It emerges today that Robert Jenrick who resigned as a Minister in protest at the Bill abstained.

Sick MP's wre paired, and not made to attend. That could have been done for the Cop attender, (I've forgotten his name already **) but to add to the sense of drama and crisis they made him fly back.

** Graham Stuart MP.

Not a single Tory opposed the BIll.

What do we want. . . :smile:

PS "Meanwhile the inhabitants of the thousands of small islands in the Pacific will sink into the sea"

Consider Gan International Airport. Maldives formerley known as RAF Gan. The map and description of the place seems little changed since I was involved in the 1960's when it was a detachment (punishment posting) from my then Regiment. It's a long time being submerged. :smile:

" The airport lies at an elevation of 6 feet (2 metres) above mean sea level."

Much as it was in the 1960's. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Tripps wrote: 13 Dec 2023, 11:23 " The airport lies at an elevation of 6 feet (2 metres) above mean sea level."
Exactly the same as our house when we lived in the Somerset Levels! :smile:

I wonder if the Chinese took sea level rise into account when they built all those artificial islands in the South China Sea for their military aircraft? :extrawink:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

PanBiker wrote: 13 Dec 2023, 10:04 Meanwhile the inhabitants of the thousands of small islands in the Pacific will sink into the sea.
I should have course said that the islands, Pacific and elsewhere will be overwhelmed by rising sea levels. :smile:
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I assumed that. :smile:

Let's ask the modern Oracle

User:
Which Pacific islands have been submerged due to rising sea levels?

ChatGPT:
Several low-lying Pacific islands and atolls have experienced or are at risk of submersion due to rising sea levels. Some of these include:
Kiribati: Kiribati is an island nation in the central Pacific Ocean, and it is particularly vulnerable to rising sea levels. The government of Kiribati has expressed concerns about the impact of climate change on the country's existence.
Tuvalu: Tuvalu is a small island nation in the western Pacific. It has a very low average elevation, making it susceptible to the effects of rising sea levels.
Marshall Islands: The Marshall Islands consist of low-lying atolls and islands. Increased sea levels pose a threat to the country's coastal areas and infrastructure.
Maldives: While not in the Pacific Ocean (it is in the Indian Ocean), the Maldives is another example of a low-lying nation at risk. It has been a vocal advocate for global action on climate change due to the existential threat posed by rising sea levels.
Solomon Islands: The Solomon Islands, located in the southwestern Pacific, have also experienced the impacts of rising sea levels, leading to coastal erosion and threats to communities.
These islands are particularly vulnerable due to their low elevation, and rising sea levels exacerbate the risk of inundation, saltwater intrusion, and displacement of populations. The situation highlights the urgent need for global efforts to mitigate climate change and its associated impacts.

I think that reply can be summarised as "none". :smile:

However I have scarcely slept since reading this last year. :smile:

Blackpool under 10 metres of water. by 2030

I keep a quick eye, on a regular basis, on this site to see that all is well Fingers crossed - no rise yet. :smile:

Blackpool beach
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thankfully that and coastal erosion are not matters we have to worry about in Barlick, we are at roughly 500 feet. Another advantage is that we are on a watershed between the Ribble and Aire valleys and so do not have to worry about having to deal with the water that is coming down from a hinterland. Our only source of flooding is flash floods from extreme weather events on the moor, 1932 was the last serious one....
I agree with what you said about COP Ian. I watched a bit of video that showed the obligatory applause as the man in charge announced they had worked wonders but then noted the standing ovation that followed for the lady representing the small islands under threat who stood up and objected to the smug announcement. Spontaneous and far more impressive than the reception given to the chairman's announcement of closure.
A Later thought..... I have just completed a full hot wash. I know that this is seen as extravagant nowadays with the cost of leccy but it's worth remembering that an occasional hot wash is very good for your washing machine, it cleans the interior mechanisms and heating elements and in the end saves money.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Kev, the link to BG worked and this morning I have a revised bill for energy up to 10 December. It is for £97 but after allowing for the contribution from the government I think this was originally a £245 bill which would be about right on the new, revised figures. Thanks for helping me to get that sorted. I shall use to link you gave me to update the reading on the first of the month from now on. :biggrin2: :good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

:good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Kev. Predictably the 'complaints team' realised that the bill had been revised because of the link you gave me working and immediately texted me to say that all was now well and they were regarding my complaint as being closed. I got straight back to them and pointed out that the improvement was down to my actions not theirs and that my complaint still stood, there is no way for me to send in readings on my personal web page because BG are convinced the meters are working. I want either a way to update readings from my web page or, even better, for my 'smart' meters to be made smart again.
Over to them......
PS. Thanks to your help what would have been a bill for about £250 has been softened to £98 due to the application of the Warm Home Discount. Nice one! :biggrin2: :good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

If you don't have a smart meter (or the one you have is not communicating): Today, or tomorrow at the latest, it's advisable to take readings and submit them to your supplier. The January rate change kicks in on Monday.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Thanks for mentioning it Kev, we're OK because we're on a fixed tariff but a lot of people won't be.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Might be worth mentioning that Paul Lewis of the Radio 4 Money Programme said recently that 'the price may go down in June - so don't be in a rush to fix at current rates'.

It's a long time till June though. Much may happen. . . . :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I'm on a fix until July so a June decrease won't impact me too much.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks for reminding me Kev, I shall send readings in as soon as I get back from the blood test.
Later.... it was nagging me so I went out in the rain and did the readings. I had a look at my web page and even though they have accepted the last readings I did and sent to them, they have not updated the information on the page.
I sent the readings in to the address you gave me Kev as the one that BG gave me didn't work. It confirmed they have been received.
Thanks Old Lad!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 29 Dec 2023, 02:41 Thanks for reminding me Kev, I shall send readings in as soon as I get back from the blood test.
Later.... it was nagging me so I went out in the rain and did the readings. I had a look at my web page and even though they have accepted the last readings I did and sent to them, they have not updated the information on the page.
I sent the readings in to the address you gave me Kev as the one that BG gave me didn't work. It confirmed they have been received.
Thanks Old Lad!
:good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

New refrigerants allow higher temperatures to be obtained...
`Will hotter heat pumps win over homeowners?' LINK
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Tizer wrote: 04 Jan 2024, 10:02 New refrigerants allow higher temperatures to be obtained...
`Will hotter heat pumps win over homeowners?' LINK
I read that article a few days ago, it should make it cheaper to retrofit if bigger radiators aren't required.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Perhaps Pluggy will give his views on the development! :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Message for Kev.... British Gas have acted on the readings I sent in using the website you gave me. I have the bill for 11 December to 1 January, £126. Thanks again, it worked.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 04 Jan 2024, 11:34 Message for Kev.... British Gas have acted on the readings I sent in using the website you gave me. I have the bill for 11 December to 1 January, £126. Thanks again, it worked.
Good stuff :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

My neighbour bought an EV a few months ago, at the same time he paid for a home charging point to be fitted. Two days ago he had a phone call, from the Octopus engineer, asking for photos of the main fuse (before his elec meter). The engineer identified he has a 'looped' supply, there is only one cable from the street supplying more than one property.
Further investigation identified five properties, looped into the same supply. Even though an Octopus engineer came and fitted the hardware yesterday, it can't be connected as it would impact the supply to the other four properties. The solution is for NW Electricity to come and fit new supply cables from the street and there are a couple of options; new cables for all five properties or, as my house is at the end of the five looped, new cables to mine and my neighbour's leaving the other three on the original loop.
Whilst my neighbour really likes his new EV he is not impressed with the current infrastructure to charge it. The closest charger, that meets his requirements (a whole new can of worms), is at Lidl in Padiham. After waiting two months and paying a not inconsiderate sum he has a home charger he can't use and public charging points aren't particularly cheap to use.
To add insult to injury, on Christmas day he took his new EV to Lidl to charge it up and got a £100 penalty notice for exceeding the two hour maximum stay in the car park. He did return, after an hour and forty five minutes, but the security system on the charger wouldn't release the charging cable from his car, this eventually released after around twenty minutes. He has since had the penalty quashed after providing evidence that he returned to move it within the allowed time (the ANPR at the car park that logged the entry and exit for his EV also showed his partner's car entering and leaving).
Needless to say he is not a happy man. We now await NW Electricity to come and dig lots of trenches and lay new supply cables.
Screenshot_2024-01-13-08-26-18-945_com.microsoft.office.word.jpg
Screenshot_2024-01-13-08-25-47-243_com.microsoft.office.word.jpg
Current information shows looped supplies for two properties, more than two is unusual but not where I live it seems.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

With regard to the above. If NW Electricity choose to just renew my neighbour and my supply, potentially they will only have to dig the one trench in my neighbor's property and run two new cables in it.
A new cable for him, straight into his main fuse.
A new cable for me, jointed into my current looped cable and terminate the other side of the looped connection that currently supplies him from his other neighbour's property (I trust that makes sense :biggrin2:).
I am only speculating on what they might do.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Will there be a cost involved Kev?
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 13 Jan 2024, 17:39 Will there be a cost involved Kev?
Fortunately not, NW Electricity will cover it.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”