Walton Spire above Nelson is a mid 19th century carved cross on top of an Anglo-Saxon standing stone. The stone menhir or 'battle stone' was set up in AD 937 to commemorate the battle of Brunanburh which was probably fought close by. The cross or spire was fixed to the top of the stone in 1835-40 by Richard Wroe Walton of Marsden Hall in Nelson. He actually vandalised the Saxon stone by having it smoothed down to suit his excentric tastes for stone carving at that time, but at that time there was knowbody around to stop him. The Spire can be seen for miles around. It is sometimes called 'The Nelson Cross'.