COMPUTERS, THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: COMPUTERS, THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY

Post by Tizer »

I'm pleased to hear business is going well for you Pluggy - keep up the good work. There's no excuse for anyone to be troubled with computer problems in Barlick and environs when you're available!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

From your mouth to God's ear......
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Old age isn't for cissies!
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

I'm presently evaluating Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, the latest version of Ubuntu. When I first came across the the Unity Desktop it uses, I hated it. It was radically different to the Gnome Desktop I came to know and love in 10.04. It grows on you, and its the way things are going, standard desktop/laptop operating systems are following smart-phones and tablets and Ubuntu is going that way as well. Mac has already done it with OSX making it look more like the iPhone and iPad, Microsoft is going to be doing it with Windows 8 coming out this year. Having used an Android smartphone the past 7 months, I think its maybe time this old dinosaur moved on......
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

"It was radically different to the Gnome Desktop I came to know and love in 10.04.."
What are the main ways in which the new desktop differs from the old, Pluggy? Can you give us a feel for the differences?
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Snapshot of the desktop after I've put extras on and tweaked bits.

The big difference is the launcher down the left hand side, instead of the applications menu. System settings are on the power icon in the top left right corner. Synaptic has gone, its been superceeded by a very polished Ubuntu software centre. Looks a lot like iTunes. Slightly tricky adding your own scripts and stuff to the launcher, needs some hashing with desktop files. Not too difficult once you've got your head round it. The text menus of running applications appear in the Line along the top of the screen, just like Mac OSX if you've ever used it. It takes a bit of getting used to but it gives you more screen area.

It works nothing like Windows XP, which is what the old Gnome desktop was emulating........

Chrome isn't part of the default install, its something I've added. Firefox is still the standard browser. Open Office has been replaced with Libre Office which is very similar

It has shades of the translucent 'Aero' windows in Windows Vista and 7.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

So, is it time I upgraded as well?
Internet connected a lot faster this morning. Checked speed and it hasn't altered from 6mps but it's definitely working faster. Bandwidth up?
Later, after half an hour on the keyboard; response speed is definitely much better even though raw speed is unchanged. Something has changed somewhere!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

I haven't done my main desktop computer yet, its still on 10.04. I've been evaluating it on my secondary laptop. I want to make sure I'm not going to have any problems with the stuff I need before I change over. So far, so good, but I have been having to learn a new way of doing things. Watch this space..........
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Thanks for the screenshot and details Pluggy. I'm always concerned when there are big changes because we see a lot of `design for design's sake' these days and also mimicking competitors even when the competitor's design is poor (witness OO mimicking MS Office instead of WorPerfect). It's a shame they are making the desktop mimic small screen devices when it doesn't need to - there's lots of room on a desktop screen, they should maximise it's use, not squeeze features into corners and thin strips! I'd never heard of Libre Office so I looked it up. It'll be interesting to see how it compares with Open Office.
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

The Libre Office change wasn't for design purposes, many Linux distros have moved to Libre Office, OO was taken over by Sun for a time and whilst it was still open source it's licensing conditions didn't sit well with many. Libre Office is a fork of OO and strictly adheres to the open licensing that many in the Linux world want. OO has been taken over again since then and its now in the hands of the Apache Foundation who maintain the worlds most used web server software. Time will tell how that pans out.

Having used 12.04, 10.04 looks dated much like XP looks dated when you've used Windows 7. It doesn't guzzle any more resources than 10.04 it seems which isn't the case with Windows 7 vs XP. When I hit a quiet patch I'll swap over on my main box I think. Linux following the worlds popular stuff isn't new, 10.04 and its earlier siblings were very much inspired by Windows XP . I'm not the Luddite I once was it seems.......
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Pluggy wrote:I'm not the Luddite I once was it seems.......
You're not trying hard enough! :grin:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks for that Plugs. I shall watch progress. I suppose the thing that occurs to me is to ask in what way does the system operate better than its predecessor. So often these days changes are made to raise the profile of the OS rather than actually improve the efficiency.
Nowt wrong with being a rational Luddite....
Orange is still performing better on raw speed of 6mps....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Tension mounts.... Will we really see our speed go back to 20mps service? I am not holding my breath!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Just had a drop-out, must be some thunder about somewhere. Impressive thing was that Ubuntu restarted of its own volition (or as my mate used to say 'violation'). Never happened to me before. Well done the programmers!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I don't think we need to go into a decline but have a look at this LINK for news about the 'Flame' computer virus. There is a war going on out there that we know nothing about.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

It only infects Microsoft Windows computers and, anyway, it's so big it would probably slow mine to a dead stop before it could do anything nasty. I wonder if anyone has written a sci-fi book with a story based on a computer virus from outer space infecting computers on Earth?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Tiz, I noted that it was a 20gig download, I think I'd notice that happening! Nice to know it's aimed at Windows only.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Last day of May.... Tension mounts!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

This is Barlick, Stanley, I wouldn't hold your your breath......
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

I have changed over my main machine to 12.04, but I chickened out on doing an upgrade (bitter experience) and used a new hard drive for the install (the old one was getting a bit cramped anyhow) Once it was in I transferred the stuff I wanted from the old hard drive. And got everything as I wanted it. I experimented with having the launcher hide itself but I settled on it being there all the time but at minimum size because I found it a bit reluctant 'to come out'.

To be brutally honest, I haven't found a really compelling reason to upgrade, there isn't a 'killer app' - Its basically the same stuff as I did on 10.04 but arranged differently and with a little more polish on the visible bits. Some things (like adding scripts to the desktop) were actually easier to achieve under 10.04. But now I'm here I'm not going back. Some of the built in applications are a later version than in 10.04, which is welcome but many are just the same. I prefer Libre Office to Open Office, it looks less cluttered and seems to start a little faster. 12.04 doesn't do the weather as default on the top panel which I missed but the add on I found "Weather Indicator" is better than the built in one on 10.04, its more localised (It understands Barnoldswick !) the 10.04 was limited to major cities with airports and the new one has more information. Ubuntu One (if you use it or care) is a big improvement on the one in 10.04.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks for that Plugs. I shall work on the old principle. if it ain't broke don't fix it. I see I am on 10.04 and it is supported until 2013. I shall consult if it becomes necessary!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Same here - can't see any benefit in changing yet. There's nothing wrong with what I've got now!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Forgive me for asking a question I have touched on before but I need some updated advice. For years now I have enjoyed cheap and cheerful B&W printing using HP Deskjets, the latest (five years ago?) was the 3650. I have to report that it has handed in its notice! Just after I bought another half litre of ink as well because I have refilled the cartridges with a hypodermic time after time with no problems. I suspect that the foil contacts in the back of the cartridge holder have worn out.
Anyway, I need a new printer. My immediate reaction is to get onto the DABS site and order the latest HP Deskjet. Has anyone any good arguments against this? No rush because the old Laserjet that Ric gave me years ago is still hooked up to the IBM upstairs and I have a spare cartridge for that so I am not bereft. By the way, I only use the printer in grayscale for text and simple images. Any input welcomed.
I've had a shufti and the HP deskjet 3000 looks like the one that replaces the 3650. Separate cartridges so I suspect refilling will still be possible.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Comrade, I can't help on that one. I've used an Epson DX4850 for about 7 years now and its given faithful service using the cheapest of cartridges from a company recommended by Ian http://www.cartridgediscount.co.uk/. Both Charlotte and Daniel have Kodak printers and despite being problem free the print quality is not brilliant.
When my Epson packs in I'll do the same as you and appeal for suggestions. Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

If you have no need for colour I would always recommend going for a laser printer, (using LED technology as they are now). Last year I opted for a Brother DCP-7055 which is a multifunction mono laser printer. It can print, scan and copy. The inbuilt colour scanner can scan directly to email, file or OCR. It has a drum assembly with a separate toner bin which you can refill. It has a 250 sheet paper bin plus a manual feed and can print 20ppm.

I shopped around last year and bought it online from Printerland. You can claim a 3 year warranty on the machine when you register it.

I like Brother stuff, I used them extensively while I worked in the education sector. Brother positively encourage you to refill the toners as they put filling plugs on the end of the toner bins. You can get toner refills from U-RefillToner, always worth checking here before you buy anything if you are opting for a laser.

I have not got a lot of experience with inkjets other than knowing that they can be expensive to run depending on what you are using them for. I made it my mission to eradicate them from the premises I worked in.

I would recommend you list the facilities that you need from a replacement and then shop around for the best deal. Laser based first if you do not need colour. Inkjet if you need a small amount of colour and back to colour laser if you need quantity. For lasers, use the link above to check for toner availability and method of refilling. If you opt for a laser look to see if it has a separate drum and toner, you do not want to be chucking away a perfectly good drum with 20,000 pages on it when the toner gives out after 4,000 although having said that almost all combination drums can be refilled with a bit of ingenuity. the website will tell you the method.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks for that Ian, clear and I have no doubt good advice. The laserjet that Ric gave me is still chugging away upstairs for big print jobs but I find I have less need for them nowadays. I have a spare cartridge in reserve for that one, if you remember I came across a clearance sale some time ago and invested. I think I'll stick to what I know best (And I have half a litre of ink!) and go for the HP 3000. Thanks for the input, I shall log onto DABS!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Technology & Communication”