Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Post by Stanley »

A firm called Tube Investments used to make stainless tube for manufacturing hypodermic needles. Shortly after the war an American rival sent them a piece of their finest bore tube which was smaller than TI's. TI sent it back with an even finer tube threaded through it. They sent samples of this out to the trade and I remember my dad bringing it home and showing it to me.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Well I suppose it had to happen. I had a sore throat and a head cold so I did an LFT which was positive but none of the ways the instructions tell you to report worked so I rang the surgery. She satisfied herself I had no serious symptoms and said she would inform the doctor..... I will mail Tony Dixon and tell him, it looks as though I shall miss the steaming on Sunday.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Sorry to hear that Stanley. As far as I am aware from the news, PCR backup tests and reporting of positive results has stopped from today. So has free LFT's so it's abandonment to 118 and herd immunity. Apparently the leftover stock of of LFT's has been passed to Boots Pharmacies to sell to those that can afford them. The CEO of which is, guess what, a former Bullingdon Boy.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

That's a shame Stanley, on the upside it'll top up your antibodies.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Dear mother its a bugger, Sell the pig and buy me out.

Stanley you still be able to order them on line.

This is from Sky news.

Free LFTs will be scaled back from 1 April, with only the over-75s and over-12s with weakened immune systems having access to them.

Everyone else will have to buy the tests.

"Most tests are now needed for people at higher risk," according to the government's online ordering system.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Oh dear Stanley, I hope you don't suffer too badly.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Sorry to hear that Stanley .keep warm, drink plenty, rest.
If you keep searching you will find it
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Sorry to hear it Stanley, wasn’t it only the other day you had your booster jab?
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Sorry to hear that Stanley, follow all the instructions and feel better soon.
Don’t forget , if you get shortness of breath, call an Ambulance.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks everyone, What I have is indistinguishable from a bad Flu episode, sore throat (gargling with salty water) aching bones (Ibuprofen) and a congested head (Sudafed) Sleeping well but in short bursts, no problems with breathing and yes I had my booster a week ago today so it's in the system but won't have fully kicked in yet.
Michael who visited me last Sunday has it too, looks as though he brought it. Margaret is OK so far. She is shopping for me and will leave it on the doorstep.
I shall have cold meat and veggies for breakfast and go back to bed. xxx
PS. I have plenty of LFTs in stock, Well were giving them to anyone who wanted them.

Just struck me, what a good job I am pro vax. If I was anti I'd be in the shit now.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Later.... I have got up to get my day in some sort of order so I will sleep well tonight. I've read Sue's advice, I am doing the decongestant and the Ibuprofen, but haven't inhaled yet. I shall do it.... It's a week today since I had the booster. I don't think this is life-threatening, just a nasty head cold. My breathing is fine, what a good job I stopped smoking 18 months ago.... :biggrin2:
I just had a look and found that I hadn't got Olbas Oil for inhaling. I caught Margaret while she is shopping so that's sorted. Thanks Sue!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Glad you are "upright" Stanley, take care. Seems like you have everything in hand.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think Sue was right Ian, I am feeling better and attacking it with all the methods at my disposal. Still a nasty flu type cold but definitely not life threatening.... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Good to hear, it's more of an inconvenience than anything. Paracetamol, Sudafed nose spray and steam kept me going.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Good to hear you're not too badly affected. I was quite worried for a while. This and other events has confirmed my current assumptions - that this varaiant is extremely infectious - though a single visit to the house of someone proved to be infectious, was at the extreme end of my risk assessment. I shall rethink my tactics.

Problem is that refusing such visits has already confirmed people's view that I'm a miserable old b****r, which is not the case. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ah, but the pharmacist spiked that one this morning. Margaret sensibly asked the pharmacist about my shopping list and he said I shouldn't use Sudafed because it clashes with one of my medications. But he did allow me to have their version of Night Nurse, one dose immediately before bedtime....
I have had an inhalation and I think it did good, I shall have another one later this afternoon.
Peter. I don't know where or when I picked it up. I suspect it's been in my system for a while.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 01 Apr 2022, 12:31 Ah, but the pharmacist spiked that one this morning. Margaret sensibly asked the pharmacist about my shopping list and he said I shouldn't use Sudafed because it clashes with one of my medications. But he did allow me to have their version of Night Nurse, one dose immediately before bedtime....
I have had an inhalation and I think it did good, I shall have another one later this afternoon.
Peter. I don't know where or when I picked it up. I suspect it's been in my system for a while.....
I checked with my GP as I had previously been denied decongestants, it would seem Sudafed nose spray is OK now 🤷‍♂️
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 01 Apr 2022, 12:31 I don't know where or when I picked it up. I suspect it's been in my system for a while.....
Stanley wrote: 01 Apr 2022, 03:07 Michael who visited me last Sunday has it too, looks as though he brought it
Take your pick, but the timing is right for the latter I'd say. :smile:

I took Night Nurse once - next day I went on the web and downloaded this label which remains on the box to this day. It's powerful stuff. I doubt you'll be in the shed at the usual time tomorrow. :smile:

PS Mine says "Do not take with other flu, cold or decongestant medicines at night". Yours might not be the same. Listen to your pharmacist rather than me.
Night Nurse.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Sorry, Stanley, I've not seen your day's excitement until now. Onwards and upwards, take it easy and look forward to being `on tune' again soon. Me and Mrs Tiz send our love! :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks Peter. Here's today's sitrep that I have sent to Susan and Margaret.
"I was in bed at 18:00 and followed the pharmacist's instructions to the letter. I had a lousy night, Their medication was too powerful on the runny nose and lousy at everything else. My sore throat was worse than at any time before and I blame their medication. For the last three hours all I have done is get up, gargle with TCP and drink water. I have got up early, brewed tea which is washing my throat out and taking my usual pills plus a Sudafed and an Ibuprofen.and a gargle with TCP. I am feeling better already, no more pills until 7am, just lots of water and my usual tea and coffee. I shall adjust my day to how I feel. I shall be back in bed shortly after my next pills I suspect."
The warm tea is doing my throat more good than any medicine. I remember Kev saying he wouldn't wish Covid on his worst enemy I think. He's right!
I'll go and look at the site now to pass the time..... Talk to you later!
An hour and a half later. No more pills until later. I am off back to bed now. Sue told me to rest.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Jeepers, Night Nurse, never used ot but I know people who have.....

I hope you start to feel a bit better today Stanley
If you keep searching you will find it
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I get sinus problems from time to time and find that Sterimar, which is just a salt water nasal spray, works well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I didn't take anything else for four hours before I went to bed, took the Night Nurse and had a lousy night. I am back on the verboten Sudafed and Ibuprofen every 4 hours, gargling with TCP and water twice a day and drinking lots of water. I can breathe easily though my nose now and feeling a lot better. I shall have some breakfast now. I suspect I will have lost weight.......
I had another four hours sleep and will stay up now until tonight. I might snooze in the rocking chair.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

We had two days of feeling seriously rough, which I wouldn’t have wished on anyone, from then it went up and down. Yesterday was the first day since testing negative we have walked any distance at all, that was only about two and half mile, without having breathing problems. Take care Stanley, if you need anything just shout, we can be over to you in no time, or I’m sure someone on here could.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

The 'new' government guide lines for Living with Covid. has now been published. It comes as no surprise that it reiterates all the advice that was once compulsory such as mask wearing, isolation, ventilation, personal hygiene and keeping distances. All the things we are told that we can now safely live with.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”