Today I shall be Mainly...

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Stanley »

Only one image needed. This morning the job was to drill and tap for the 6 5BA bolts that secure the guides to the crosshead. I was already set up and so it just needed 45 minutes of careful drilling and tapping under the pillar drill. The picture is of the bed at closing time with all the bolts fitted. No point starting anything else in the time I had left.
Now for breakfast.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Tooth all repaired. It was a difficult filling but I was ultra impressed with the dentist. He was determined that this time the filling would stay, and he has more or less rebuilt the tooth. He is newly qualified, well within the last couple of years, and reading his description on the practice website he has very impressive experience. I think he lived up to them yesterday. The timing was perfect and we arrived at Christies with half an hour to spare. We were home about 3.30 pm so had time to go to Halfords for some paint for the steam model Bob is making and to Dunelm for some thread for the pilates leggings I am making. I even managed zoom pilates at 5.30pm

This morning we are off to Burnley cemetery to put some flowers on the family grave then home for a leisurely lunch as todays appointment is late afternoon. We will hit the traffic coming back so don’t expect to be home much before 6.00 pm.

Its a warm day today for the time of year, dryish this morning, rain this afternoon. Have a good day all
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Glad you got your tooth repaired Sue' I hope it lasts better! Yes, it's dry here as well so I think I'll go and do my weekly shop at the Co-op.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've had a short walk and an essentials shop. Back home now and everything put away!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall be in the shed at 06:00 doing useful things to my engine. After breakfast and second sleep I have a letter to post and then I think I'll fry my sweet potato chips.... Apart from communicating with my daughters and grand children in Oz that's the size of it for the day!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

This morning was the start of making the bronze bearings for the crankshaft. The job was made much more difficult by the fact that the stock supplied by Stuarts was far too big and mismatched, they had been very badly cut. I could have cut them back to what I wanted but it seemed such a waste. So my time was spent finding two pieces of scrap in the treasure chest and cutting them back to accurate blanks for the bearings. I'm glad I took the trouble. Not only have I rescued two pieces of scrap but I haven't wasted the material in the Stuart stock. Now for breakfast!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Yesterday went well. The journey home was a little slow but despite it being nearly 5 when we left Christies we were home about 6.15 pm. Today takes some planning. Its u3 a art, initially I wasn’t going to go but changed my mind. I shall put the slow cooker on before we go out to Tod whilst Bob goes and buys two butties from our favourite butty shop down the road. If we leave art 30 minutes early we will have time to come home, eat the butty and have a brew before we need to leave for a very late afternoon appointment. That will be two weeks over

Not sure of the weather forecast , its dry at the moment. Have a good day all
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I can’t believe it, I have lost my filling already. I can’t blame the dentist, I blame to tooth
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Sue wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 09:25 I can’t believe it, I have lost my filling already. I can’t blame the dentist, I blame to tooth
Oh no, bugger.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Having lunch out at Salt's Diner in the mill at Saltaire with our, quite small, school reunion group. We were in the same year at school but none of us were friends back then yet we all really enjoy getting together now, sharing memories and life experiences. :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Oh Sue! Sorry to hear about the tooth. Sounds as though it needs to come out! Bad news I know in this day and age.
This morning I am going for a re-run of my success last week. I have been marinading a piece of Belly Pork all night and will put it in the oven on low before I go in the shed at 06:00. Let's see if I can get as good a result again!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The pork belly is in a moderate oven slowly cooking. It is wrapped in foil and has its sugar, spices and garlic rubbed into it. Now I wait for the magic to happen..... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I started by making the top brass surfaces look pretty and then got into cutting the slots in the bottom brasses that allow them to sit in the bed casting. I had got two brasses that fit by closing time and checked the clearance for the cheeks of the flyshaft. Tomorrow I shall finish work on the brasses . Now is the time for breakfast!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 17 Feb 2024, 03:02 Oh Sue! Sorry to hear about the tooth. Sounds as though it needs to come out! Bad news I know in this day and age.
I will not be having my tooth out Stanley, I shall probably, have a crown if not now then eventually . I have an appointment on Monday morning at 8.15 am and shall see what the dentists says. All this trouble and more before is due to bad dentistry when we first came to Rochdale. Long long story but the dentist was investigated for carrying out unnecessary treatments on a large number of his patients. He disappeared overnight. Endless un necessary fillings have weakened my teeth, good dentistry has helped them survive over the years.

Today is Bacup market, followed by an hour or two sewing. At 1.30 pm we are out for a meal with the u3a Wine group. We meet up about once every two months for a face to face meeting rather than on Zoom. In this case we shall be sampling the wine and food at the Moorcock Inn at Littleborough on the climb up to Blackstone edge. The Christmas ´dô was cancelled as Bob and I got covid. I doubt we will be back until 3.30.

Have a good day, its rather murky at the moment
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

A couple of years ago I had my cataracts operated on, my last eye test 12 months ago said little or no change, all good. The eye test last week showed a lot of deterioration in my right eye, so yesterday I went for laser treatment at Fulwood eye clinic. Whilst doing my right eye he also did my left one, as he saw the beginnings of deterioration in that one. I now have floaters which is expected for a few days, and another eye test in a few weeks. My eyesight is now so sharp I can’t believe how bad it must have been. I am so chuffed with this outcome, Gloria is now bionic 🤣😂
Gloria
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Gloria, that’s wonderful, very pleased for you. 😊
You’ll be looking at a whole new world.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

That's brilliant Gloria!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

That's so good. A friend of mine had that. She was in my art group. Her paintings changed from muted colours to bright and cheerful. Everyone commented.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Nice one Gloria, fighter pilot vision as Stanley would say. :extrawink: :mexwave:
Ian
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

I’m bionic, when these floaters settle down, I’ll be super bionic.🤣😂
Gloria
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You'll learn to live with the floaters Gloria. I had the same five minute job done on mine and the difference was amazing. They said it might happen again but so far so good, no deterioration. Great to hear it Love....

I shall be in the shed at 06:00 as usual doing useful things to my engine. That's about it I think. My social diary is empty until Tuesday!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

This morning the task was to finish fitting the bearing bronzes for the3 flyshaft, drill the top brasses clearance for 4BA studs and drill the oil holes.Next drill and tap the horns on the bed 4BA and fit the studs. Then fit the caps and their nuts. It took an hour and a quarter but is a good step forward. I am ready now for my breakfast.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

It was a very good lunch yesterday and we were home even later than I thought we would be. Today is catch up day, with the weeks washing and ironing to finish as I get little chance for that on our daily trips to Christies. Claire, Adam and Erin are calling round about 11. They have bern staying at a friends in Rochdale, overnight. I also want to make up the spare bed and tidy the spare room’ as next weekend Julia is coming up for a few days. She will probably do a couple of the Christies trips with Bob.

Warmish, dryish today but leaving us with a misty atmosphere. It wii be an OK day for a couple of small gardening tasks. I want to put a metal pyralid support round the clematis that used to drape over the old tree stump, now rotted away and gone. The clematis is shooting and now is the time to do it. Have a good day all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Sue.... When do you get a repair for your tooth?
Please give Bob my best wishes..... tell him I remember him every day.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 08:02 Morning Sue.... When do you get a repair for your tooth?
Please give Bob my best wishes..... tell him I remember him every day.
Tomorrow morning, early Stanley . This new dental practice are really good at getting appointments sorted instead of having to wait weeks. . I have given Bob your best wishes Stanley

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”