GOOD TV

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: GOOD TV

Post by Stanley »

I watched 'Engineering Giants' on BBC2 last night. Good programme about the major overhaul of a 747. Even if you aren't into engineering it gives a good idea of how complicated these machines are.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Reposted after being put on the wrong thread...

I watched that. It was remarkable. I wouldn't want to be on the first flight after the maintenance though. To schedule the reurn to service for the same day the maintenance ended seems a bit risky to me, despite the mantra "safety is paramount".
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I noted that too David but I suppose that since it is a BA facility they had their bases covered.
Splendid programme on last night about the history of faeces and how we deal with them! I have a book they should have read. In 1870 a man called George Buchanan reported to Parliament on 'Certain means of preventing excrement nuisances in Towns and Villages'. He printed the report privately and I have a copy signed by him. This was at the time when decisions were being made about what method was the best for addressing the problem and he details various dry earth and bucket solutions. In the end the water carriage system was adopted. Not a popular subject I know but a fascinating segment of social history.
Not surprisingly there is no mention on Bookfinder. However, it was noted in the colonies. See this LINK.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote:I noted that too David but I suppose that since it is a BA facility they had their bases covered.
Splendid programme on last night about the history of faeces and how we deal with them! I have a book they should have read. In 1870 a man called George Buchanan reported to Parliament on 'Certain means of preventing excrement nuisances in Towns and Villages'. He printed the report privately and I have a copy signed by him. This was at the time when decisions were being made about what method was the best for addressing the problem and he details various dry earth and bucket solutions. In the end the water carriage system was adopted. Not a popular subject I know but a fascinating segment of social history.
Not surprisingly there is no mention on Bookfinder. However, it was noted in the colonies. See this LINK.

Just watched the same programme on the iplayer. Fascinating stuff.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I can't say I fancied the plasma toilet! Looked dangerous to me. It reminded me of something Daedalus wrote in the Guardian many years ago:

01 Mar 1988: The Guardian - Page 0 - (406 words)
Futures (Daedalus): Hounding out a means to clean up the streets at source
By: (No author)
Daedalus has an answer to the hundreds of tons of excrement dumped every day by dogs on the nation's parks and pavements. He points out the surprising fact that excrement is combustible: although it is mainly water, the heat given out by burning a dried section would dry the next section to be burnt. His ingenious scheme is to burn it while it is still inside the dog.
Dreadco's 'Afterburner' (Regd.) exploits two modern inventions: the catalytic surfaces on self-cleaning cookers, from which the dirt burns off at quite modest temperatures, and the nitinol alloys, which change shape on heating. Put in a flame, a piece of nitinol will warm up, bend sharply out of the flame, cool down, bend back into it, and so on: a simple heat-engine. So the Dreadco Afterburner sits in the dog's colon, burning the contents catalytically and oscillating subtly from the heat. This has two effects. Firstly, the device tends to shuffle its way peristaltically up the colon, countering the downward flow of fuel; secondly, the combustion chamber expands and contracts rhythmically, sucking in a fresh charge of fuel and air at each stroke. The Afterburner 'breathes' through a flexible tail-pipe which extends to the dog's anus, where its flanged nozzle protrudes and is anchored by the natural contraction reflex.
The Afterburner has to be inserted by a vet, far enough up the colon to prevent it being excreted itself. Its pyrotechnic starting charge is ignited by a fuse, giving a burst of smoke from the nozzle; thereafter a soft rhythmic puffing confirms that all is well. Good insulation, and the cooling inward flow of fuel, prevent the device reaching an uncomfortable temperature.
But it should help to keep the dog warm, and reduce its need for food. 'Walkies' will not be eliminated, as the beast will still need to urinate; even so the urban environment should benefit immensely.
Dog-food manufacturers will have to take note of the new technology. Out will go the emphasis on bouncing health and doggy vitamins. 'With added charcoal for smooth and ash-free combustion!' the advertisements will claim instead. 'No backfiring with candlewax-stabilised Nosho!'
The dogs themselves should also benefit from the device. They will be less troubled by internal parasites (which will be cooked), though their traditional interest in each others' posteriors will now have disconcerting results. Daedalus is now designing an afterburner for humans, for use by astronauts, deep-sea divers, and tourists worried about the local sanitary traditions.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Fantastic!
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ian, if you liked that go onto the Guardian site and do a search in the archives for Daedalus. Have a look at this LINK.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

For those that considered a Soaps thread , just heard Roy to Mary on Corrie , " I've got all three LPs of the 'Sound of Steam' , we'll have to listen to them sometime." (qv OGFB What's on your playlist thread.

You Can't escape.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bad research, he said "all three", there are far more than three on Vinyl and five on CD.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

I might have mis-heard - I was not exactly concentrating when it was on, could have been three of ( without the all ), the point was meant to be general rather than a verbatim detail.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Wonderful Panorama programme on 'sports drinks', trainers and 'advice on drinking' last night. I loved the world record endurance cyclist who uses jam butties and water whilst in flight and recuperates with sardines on toast and boiled vegetables! General findings of the researchers was that unless you are a top end endurance sports person you can simply ignore all the guff, drink water, buy cheap comfortable running shoes and avoid sports drinks containing the equivalent of 8 teaspoonfuls of sugar in a small bottle. This a third of the daily intake recommended for the young footballers who were drinking it because 'it was what the professionals do'.
I think I like evidence based research........
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Watching Bradley Wiggins.... An Iron Man!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Nolic

Post by Nolic »

I agree Comrade. I enjoy dipping into the Tour on Eurosport not least because of the views of the French countryside. Have you noticed that whilst the rivalry between Wiggins and Froome is under wraps in France their wives are having a real spat because of Froome having to follow team rules and support Wiggy. A bit like F1 really. Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Bradley will be in Barlick in August as part of the Bradley Wiggins Foundation - Ride with Brad 160Km Sportive and In conjunction With Cycle Sport Pendle. A real opportunity for the young ones to get involved. The latter event will visit Victory Park On the 19th August.

Links below have more information.

Bradley Wiggins Foundation - Ride with Brad 160Km Sportive

Ride with Bradley Wiggins - Go-Ride Games 2012
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Comrade, I didn't know about the spat. They don't know a lot about team tactics in a Tour. No man can win without the support of the team and the decision is made on the grounds of who is most likely to succeed. Frome's day will come. The whole idea of the team is to support and protect the lead rider and of course it worked.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

cloghopper
Regular User

Post by cloghopper »

Whyperion wrote:For those that considered a Soaps thread , just heard Roy to Mary on Corrie , " I've got all three LPs of the 'Sound of Steam' , we'll have to listen to them sometime." (qv OGFB What's on your playlist thread.

You Can't escape.
:smile: I liked that line too. There is lots of brilliant steam locomotive stuff on you tube. Better than records or CDs.
cheers,
cloggy
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

I dont know if ITV4 have shown a full set of The Saint series re-runs. But BBC2 today and tomorrow (noon till 1410 )have and are doing the RKO Radio Pictures Black and White film versions with a whole variety of actors in the Simon Templar roles , I cannot recall seeing these on TV before.

Also on BBC2 repeats of Coast and Great British Railway Journeys and the latest in the University Challenge Series.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I watched Jon Snow's programme on Dispatches last night (C4). 'Can You Trust Your Bank', well researched, good interviews and thoroughly depressing!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Nolic

Post by Nolic »

"Bert and Dickie" about scullers Bushnell and Burnell in the 1948 Olympics was the BBC at its best. Well acted, authentic sets and good drama. Worth catching up if you missed it.Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I recorded that one Nolic, it looked good on the trailer.

I watched another Olympic related program late Monday Night about the technology behind some aspects of the game. From the design of the Olympic torch and that of the "Orbit", the 100m high art edifice which was constructed to millimetre accuracy by a Lancashire heavy engineering firm. Paralympic chair bound sprinter being put through best posture practice in the wind tunnels that BAE Systems have at Warton and Samelsbury, ditto, the same facilities for our cycling team. It was a fascinating program which showcased a lot of northern expertise behind the games.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've been watching Billy Conolly's series on Route 66. I love watching TV and thinking "I've been there!" The series brought back lots of memories.

A derelict grape stall on the side of Route 66 near St Louis. The poor folks moving West during the Great Depression in the US used these stands for cheap food.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Watched Blue Planet on oceans and tides last night. I've seen it before but it was still riveting TV.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

F1 at Hungaroring, Lewis delivered a win. Antiques Road Show, engineering giants and finished with London Zoo. Small things amuse small minds? Olympic free zone!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I hadn't realised that there is a landing on Mars scheduled for this week. Good programme on BBC2 last night. Good luck to them!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

C4 Dispatches on betting shops and Panorama on Pest control were interesting last night and then followed by Horizon on intermittent fasting. Good instructive stuff! Blanked out Olympics by watching part of Das Boot which I have on disk. A brilliant film, I never tire of it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “TV”