Today I shall be Mainly...

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Stanley »

I leave the heating on permanently and let the thermostat do it's job. It has been kicking in and out for a few days now but never getting serious, yesterday was the first day it got down to business, we can now no longer deny that the heating season has started.... :sad:
Living without email! It went off yesterday and is still AWOL this morning. I know nothing about fixing it, all I can do is sit waiting and hoping...... At the moment I hate TalkTalk!!!! (I need help if anyone can spare the time....)
Some things can be relied on, I shall be in the shed at 06:00 working on my crankshaft bearings. It looks as though the weather will be good enough (If chilly) to allow a walk later this morning.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

When you say 'it went off' do you mean Thunderbird stopped receiving emails or it was unable to connect to your TalkTalk mail account?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Like you Stanley we just trust the heating to the thermostat and leave it to do its own thing. It hasn’t come on yet except fleetingly the other night. We have a very well insulated house and both the front and the back doors are protected by a hallway closed off from the main house and porches or conservatory. We are still sitting in the conservatory for breakfast ( we like the garden view) but do have to put on a small fan heater. I see this morning is 3 degrees with a beautiful blue sky. Perhaps I will get some more garden tidying done today after the brown bin has been emptied. I have a cold, the fresh air will do me good.

Yesterday’s trip to Christies went well with good news all round, but it was after 6 when we got back so I missed my zoom pilates. It was worth it for the good news and we celebrated in the cafe before we left by sharing a piece of lemon drizzle cake . We have a consultants appointment next week but it will just be a conformation of the report Bob was given yesterday.

Have a good day all
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

What wonderful news Sue, you must be so pleased. Give Bob my best wishes...... Yes, it's going to be a better day outside but cooler. We are shaping up well for a dry sunny day here in Barlick....

More work on the crankshaft bearing beds. The stock was far too big so had to be cut back again so that it fitted the beds. This image is of the last cut on one end of both beds. Tomorrow I shall reverse it and cut the other end. Then they can be fitted to the CI engine bed. Now for breakfast!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall be in the shed doing calming and useful things with my hands. After second sleep I shall be giving TalkTalk a hard time as I am still cut off. I can see little after that apart from a short walk to post a letter as the forecast is for a dry but cold and sunny day.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I started the day by doing the last cut and fitting on the bottom brasses for the crankshaft, Then I put witness marks on them as they fit one way only. Next I made sure the crankshaft fitted between the cheeks of the brasses. The next job was to fettle the top brasses on the grind stone and with files. Then set up ready for milling them tomorrow. Good progress and now I'm ready for my breakfast.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Lovely day yesterday, I managed a lot of gardening though I filled the brown bin pretty quickly preventing any further cutting back. I planted up some strawberry runners in the troughs where I grow veg and covered them with netting to protect them during the winter when, afterwards, I will find them a permanent home. I washed the bird feeders and refilled them and we put the fountain and filter on the pond. We have still only seen one fish since our return but I am sure they are well hidden under the pond lilies. I finished the day learning some french grammar.

Today is Friday so u3a art followed by lunch out at the Lake with Wendy and Keith. We will have lots to chat about after 8 weeks. It promises to be dry , sunny and cool. Have a good day all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You should have a nice day out at the Lake for your lunch Sue. The glass is rising strongly.
My version of taking advantage of the weather will be walking to the post box to post a letter but only after attacking Tal Talk, I still have no email. I am sick to death of the lot of them!
I shall go to bed and calm down..... Have a good day. I'll see you later.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Dropped the rear seats in the car and taken the roof box and bars off the car and shoved them in the back. Just have to get them round to Neil's now for storage.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 13 Sep 2024, 06:46 I still have no email. I am sick to death of the lot of them!
I shall go to bed and calm down..... Have a good day. I'll see you later.....
Does your webmail work? www.talktalk.co.uk/mail
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It won't accept my password Kev. I have spent six hours sat here 'chatting' including getting cut off three times and starting again. They have finally agreed something is wrong and will treat it as a complaint. They will contact me as soon as they have any news. God alone knows when that will be.

Just think on that, six bloody wasted hours......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 13 Sep 2024, 15:04 It won't accept my password Kev. I have spent six hours sat here 'chatting' including getting cut off three times and starting again. They have finally agreed something is wrong and will treat it as a complaint. They will contact me as soon as they have any news. God alone knows when that will be.

Just think on that, six bloody wasted hours......
Frustrating I know but as it is now a complaint a different, hopefully more knowledgeable, second line team will sort it out. They do work weekends.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

But keeping someone on the line like that when they are registered as old and disabled is terrible......
I shall be in the shed at 06:00 working on my bearings. Later this morning I shall post my letter. I never got to move out of my chair yesterday!
One certainty, I don't want a day like yesterday!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

I hope it gets sorted quickly Stanley………

Awake on French time again, we usually adjust much faster than this , we can only assume it is because the mornings are much lighter here, despite thicker curtains, so our bodies think it is later than it is. In the last month we had some very dark autumnal mornings.

We are off to Chester for the day with another city mystery book to solve. Bob did the market shopping yesterday whilst I was at art. We are off straight after breakfast and home at teatime. It is promising 19 degrees and a much warmer week. Have a good day all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have no expectations of it being quick Sue. Sorted will do me and no more 6 hour days in the chair. I shall go to the post and the Co-op before I look at responding to anything from them. I hope you have a far better day! :biggrin2:

This morning was spent on the crankshaft bearing caps. Getting them to the right size, allocating witness marks and getting ready for more work on them tomorrow. But now I deserve breakfast.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

We went to Chester a couple of years ago for Xmas, it’s not as good as it once was. When we walked the walls and looked down behind the buildings it was an eyesore of rubbish…..mostly drink cans…it was terrible. Even the Main Street was rubbish everywhere and hardly Christmassy at all, which is not what we had expected.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

That was our impression last time we went. It does have a nice fabric shop though
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Sad isn’t it Sue, it really is a lovely place going downhill fast?
Gloria
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I agree, it used to be one of the most beautiful cities in England and The Rows was world class shopping!
Today I shall be mainly sitting next to the phone between 10:00 and 15:00 so as not to miss any possible call from Talk Talk engineers. Apart from that.... I shall be in the shed at 06:00 refining my bearings for the crankshaft on my engine. No great incentive to go for a walk later as we are promised a cold wet day. I might even get round to reading my Private Eye and whisper it not, a book!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You might wonder why the enormous drill. I have been annoyed ever since I replaced the short custom handle on my tool post lock with the larger spanner, by the fact it fouls the other hardware on the head of the post and needed raising up 3/8". So this morning I have found a piece of scrap and I am making a spacer to cure the problem. You can see the result, job sorted and problem has gone away. After cleaning the swarf off Mrs Harrison I turned my attention to the two top brasses. A change from normal. I took the trouble to put a 3/8" slot drill in the mill and milled clearance into the meat of the cap so as to clear the 4BA not when it is fitted. Normally I just file clearance as I am fitting them but this should save that. Next I drilled the oil holes with a centre drill and then went on to drill the clearance holes for the studs. That done I called it knocking off time and went for a shave and breakfast.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Chester was much improved, fewer empty shop units ans there looked to be a lot of new development in the town, much of which is university based. The university is growing and being right in the centre could do good for the city like in Durham. It was a lovely day,(21 degrees) buzzing with people as it was a big race meet but there were also many shoppers, families and what looked like new students with their parents. The Chester quiz book took us places we hadn’t been before with some complex cryptic clues. It was the last of the three books I bought Bob for Christmas. I recommend them to anyone visiting a city. The next one we have is Edinburgh when we visit Scotland in a couple of weeks. As well as our quiz I bought fabric for a new dress for Jane, and we had a pleasant light lunch out plus a cider later, sat in the sunshine

Today is rainy, I have some washing and ironing to do, and shall cut out Janes dress. My cold is steadily getting worse and not better, and I have had it for over a week now. I thought initially it was hay fever but feels more like a full blown cold now. Bob is at the park, I will keep busy at home and preparing a roast pork tea. Another British luxury to enjoy. Brittany pork is beautiful but nice joints for roasting are rare and very expensive. Have a good day all
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Glad to hear things are improving in Chester Sue.
Gloria
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sorry to hear your cold is worse Sue. My ear wax storm is only marginally improved, I am on my second bottle of Otex. I shall just keep going, It is improving slowly.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I have just passed a cold on to Colin, he isn't happy.
All this talk of Chester has got me feeling nostalgic so I just had a look on street view and found the flat in Foregate Street that we moved into soon after we got married in 1975. Our little flat was on the second floor at the rear of the building with the entrance down the alleyway between the Indian Restaurant and the Chinese Takeaway which were both there nearly 50 years ago. There was a ladies hairdressers at the front on the first floor and the combined smell of cooking and perm solution was overwhelming! No problems with walking to work though, Col worked in the Town Hall and I worked at the Boat House down by the river.
Our bedroom was above the Indian restaurant's kitchen....it got very noisy!

snapshot_www.instantstreetview.com_1726392273396.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Ear wax! I went to the hospital last week to get new hearing aids - we and they have decided I'd get better hearing with earmoulds instead of the tubed ones I've always had (and which are too fiddly for me now). They took impressions of my ear and said the new ones will be ready in a few weeks. In the meantime they `tuned up' my old ones so that Mrs Tiz wouldn't be deafened by me turning up TV/radio volume! But they also said my right ear was blocked deep inside by wax and I'd need to get it cleared before setting up the programming of the moulds. They (audiology!) don't do wax removal. Nor do GP surgeries now and the lady told me either I have to do it myself or get it done privately. So, a new Otex bottle, drops added repeatedly, much rinsing with warm water using the squirter and finally I dislodged a piece of wax the size of a small pea.

The audiologist told me that as we get older we don't make more ear wax. The problem arises because our ears make less of the lubricant oil that helps the wax pass out of the ear canal. So, under orders, I've had to buy a small bottle of olive oil BP and I'm to put one drop in each ear every day. The purified oil is less viscous and it's difficult to judge whether a drop has gone in or a lot, so what I'm doing is putting a drop on the tip of my little finger and then spreading lightly in the opening of the ear canal. Then repeat for the other ear. Let's hope it works! I wonder where all this ear wax goes? The archers at Agincourt used it to wax their bowstrings, so England's early military domination was founded on ear wax! :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”