Today I shall be Mainly...

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Stanley »

It's all go Sue! I'm hooked on reading and cooking at the moment....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Out in the garden.
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Getting ready this morning for a family gathering of the clan Whipp.

I invoked my recent major op to convene a get together at our place today.

The reason for the meet is to discuss whether Herbert Ewart Whipp should be added to the names of those who lost their lives in the first world war on the new plaque at the Barlick War Memorial.

Herbert Ewart was killed near to the end of the war. At the time, the family chose not to have his name inscribed. I think they blamed the generals and politicos for Herbert Ewart's death and wanted nothing to do with war memorials which, at the time, were as much a celebration of victory in the Great War as they were a remembrance of those who had died.

Knocking on 100 years later, should we respect the wishes of the family of the day?

Or should his name live on?

As it is, another 50 years and Herbert Ewart will have left no trace. If his name's added now, at least his story will be told and the story of why his family refused to inscribe it at the time will underline the utter futility of that conflict (and conflicts to this day...).

I hope the family will agree to add Herbert Ewart's name. Whatever the decision it'll be grand to get the scattered Whipps under one roof for the first time in a decade!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Warwick model engineering fair today followed by a day with the grandchildren in Coventry. Lovely day
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Spent a lot of time on slides yesterday. My daughters will be glad to hear I have some order into them now. Like Sue I decided that they had to be thinned out so many were chucked into a bag and destroyed. The goodies are left and I'm coming round to deciding that I should give a lot of them to Ellenroad and Bancroft. One bonus was that in the process I came across pics I have been looking for for years. I shall scan these and you may get bored by some of them.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

De-frosting freezer is top of the list!
Later at 09:10. Defrosting is complete. This fridge is so easy to defrost, simply unplug and put a pan of hot water in the bottom after taking all the drawers out. The fold out drain into a tray on the floor works as well. That job is done, box on!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Walking this morning, followed by lunch out. Cleaning, putting up beds and lifting everything that is the height of an 11month old to a better place!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Shed and reading...... Mind you, I ought to be re-scanning some slides!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Southport today training staff around child sexual exploitation. Good quality management and acting with other agencies on concerns is the main message. This part time work seems a lot like full time to me but what the heck I'm enjoying it. Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Keeping an eye on txtd news of how Barnoldswick has done at the North West in Bloom Awards at Southport. (Frustrated I can't be there!)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Comrade. We told you so! However, nice to know you are now enjoying the work. They couldn't have a better advisor....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

David Whipp wrote:Getting ready this morning for a family gathering of the clan Whipp.

I invoked my recent major op to convene a get together at our place today.

The reason for the meet is to discuss whether Herbert Ewart Whipp should be added to the names of those who lost their lives in the first world war on the new plaque at the Barlick War Memorial.

Herbert Ewart was killed near to the end of the war. At the time, the family chose not to have his name inscribed. I think they blamed the generals and politicos for Herbert Ewart's death and wanted nothing to do with war memorials which, at the time, were as much a celebration of victory in the Great War as they were a remembrance of those who had died.

Knocking on 100 years later, should we respect the wishes of the family of the day?

Or should his name live on?

As it is, another 50 years and Herbert Ewart will have left no trace. If his name's added now, at least his story will be told and the story of why his family refused to inscribe it at the time will underline the utter futility of that conflict (and conflicts to this day...).

I hope the family will agree to add Herbert Ewart's name. Whatever the decision it'll be grand to get the scattered Whipps under one roof for the first time in a decade!
David,

What was the outcome of the get together and the family's decision?
IMHO it would be a shame that someone who gave his life for his country is not remembered.

Are you related to Mrs Whipp who was the cook (catering manageress?) at Colne Grammar School in the sixties and was the most popular person in the school?

Graham
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Art, lunch out, creative writing and the grandchildren arrive
EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Sue you must have oodles of energy you make me feel tired with your agenda's. Relaxing today after the journey home and getting things into some kind of order over the past three days. Eileen
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

chinatyke wrote:David,

What was the outcome of the get together and the family's decision?
IMHO it would be a shame that someone who gave his life for his country is not remembered.

Are you related to Mrs Whipp who was the cook (catering manageress?) at Colne Grammar School in the sixties and was the most popular person in the school?

Graham
Graham, there was a consensus amongst the family member's present that Herbert Ewart's name should be added to the names at the War Memorial. In the war memorial thread, Thomo reports this in an anonymous way.

Being a bit pedantic about who has the franchise in voting matters, I did point out that there may other family members still alive equally closely related (but not through the Whipp line) who should have a say in the matter. General view of family was that I was being too pedantic. This did spark a discussion on matters family which I'll pick up in the family history forum.

As to Mrs Whipp at Colne Grammar School, good to see she was the most popular person in the school! I don't know if there's a connection (apart from being popular that is? :wink: ). There aren't many Whipps around, and the ones I know of are all related if we go back far enough. Brother Keith is the genealogist of the family - I'll ask him the question.
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Today I have mostly been writing, to entertain others :grin:
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

There were a few Whipps in Rochdale in the 1841census. There seemed to be some connection to the Widdups. A young Boy, a Widdup was living with them as far as I can remember
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Our Keith says he doesn't know of any connection with the Colne Grammar Whipp.

When I get a mo, I'll post some mystery family stuff in the family history forum.
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Meanwhile, what I'll mainly be doing today, is preparing for the big Dickens of a Do Switch On event on 10th November.

Marquee goes in this morning on Town Square in readiness for Lantern Building workshops all next week. I'll be walking up town to make sure it goes in the right place (sorry, can't keep away...). After that, it's down to Greenberfield Locks for some photos.

The last couple of days, I've done 2 hour and 2 1/2 hour walks, so should be up to it.

Judging by Stanley's weather report, and the view from window, I need to wrap up well.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

History Soc. again this morning in the Heritage Room, visitors welcome. More muck & compost spreading this afternoon, I need to get the good stuff dug out of the muck heap before I start bringing the ponies in to the barn at night. I'll probably bring them in this weekend as the grass is disappearing fast and I always worry about fireworks at this time of year.
A good muck heap is one of lifes little pleasures! :grin:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good point Wendy. I hate fireworks because I know how much distress they cause some animals. The occasional bang is going off already and Jack hates them. Funny thing is that the ones that upset him most are the ones that whistle before they bang. The sooner the firework season is over the better!
Could be in the shed today.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Hoping to move some well seasoned logs from outside storage into the barn for burning on the stove this winter.
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

After a painless short trip in a car yesterday, off to a music shop today to look at electric guitars with Tom. It's his birthday tomorrow. Guitar and amp may be enough to tempt him off Xbox...

Combine trip with getting battery run mini xmass lights for use in lantern making next week. We use hundreds of these tiny sets for the lantern parade at the switch on.
EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Fireworks seem to be non stop until January now I feel sorry for the animals as although I loved the treat as a kid on 5th November but that's all they were allowed on. Today I will be catching up on some family research. Eileen
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Cleaning up in anticpation for the arrival of Merlin on Monday as I will be at The Armouries in Leeds tomorrow.

Should be in the Fountain Monday night.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”