WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Stanley »

Remember that the auto clock change on your computer doesn't alter the site time. I had to go into my control panel this morning to disable Daylight Saving to get right time on PMs and topics.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

A while ago it was mentioned on here that following the deaths of the two Policewomen in Manchester, that hand grenades were used, and that criminals were raising their game. Worrying then that yesterday a train carrying anti tank mines made a halt at Warrington, this cargo consisted of ten cases each containg four mines. At Warrington someone removed the cargo from the train, seven cases were later found intact, three are still missing, thats twelve pieces of serious whoosh bang oh nasty adrift somewhere.
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

" whoosh bang oh nasty"
Thanks for that - I had a boss a long time ago who always referred to any thing explosive as an 'O nasty'. Now I know what he meant and how to spell it correctly. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

I believe that it comes from the TV program "The Navy Lark".
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote:Remember that the auto clock change on your computer doesn't alter the site time. I had to go into my control panel this morning to disable Daylight Saving to get right time on PMs and topics.
Thanks for the reminder Stanley. I remember Bradders, probably last year, saying "Whoopee, now my car's clock reads the right time again!"
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

In the early days of digital watches I bought one and it had a fault, every time you tried to adjust it it reverted to playing 'The Yellow Rose of Texas' so in the end I gave up and stuck it on the dash of my pick-up with Blue Tack. It told the right time for 6 months in the year....
My body clock takes more adjusting than that. At 21:00 last night I knew I had to go to bed and so was up at 03:00 this morning. It will take a day or two for Jack and me to adjust. A good sleep this afternoon might cure it.
I see the peripheral arrests connected to Savile have started. Paul Gadd (Garry Glitter) arrested yesterday and taken in for interview, the investigators say there are more to come. The only good thing about this affair for me is the fact that so many people are coming forward and telling their stories with some confidence that they will be listened to and believed. So often they say that they spoke up at the time but were not taken seriously. There is also the fact that out there some very nasty people are having sleepless nights and waiting for the knock on the door. Insiders tell us that we could be in for some surprises.... Good!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Two blokes in a pickup helping themselves to some scrap by the side of our house (which is waiting to get weighed in).

After altercation, pickup leaves with blokes emptyhanded (for now...?).

Phoned police with details. Pickup reg NJ 05 HZF.
PostmanPete
Regular User

Post by PostmanPete »

David Whipp wrote:Pickup reg NJ 05 HZF.
This pickup was registered in Newcastle according to a quick 'google' I will be looking out for it whilst on my rounds...... :cool4:
"Always carry a large flagon of whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
W.C. Fields (1880-1946)
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

I put out my grey bin

I can't remember when I last put it out, must be March. Goodness knows what the stuff in the bottom is like :confused:
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

This is what caught my attention this afternoon through my lounge window.....It's a Muntjac deer by the way - now we know what ate next door's plants. :smile:
and it's an experiment in the use of dropbox. Seems to work OK.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/76730564/2012- ... .35.58.jpg
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Chrissyp

Post by Chrissyp »

A sheepdog bitch called Midge making £8400 at Skipton Auction. Beautiful dog.
Thread Killer
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice to know a good dog can still get a good price. My old cur Fly was given to me as a pup, his father was a dog called Old Tam who was Scottish Champion one year. Kath Smith gave him to me but warned me that if he took after his father he would hate going through puddles. She was right! That year Kath was champion Scottish shepherd, it was judged on condition and productivity of her flock. An able woman! She once gathered some cattle up for me with two dogs in an undulating 15 acre field at Biggar Mains where you couldn't see most of the ground, perfect gather, very impressive. Made even more so by the fact she was breast-feeding a baby while she did it! As I said, an able woman, she could certainly multi-task!
What grabbed me was how nasty fine brass dust can be!
As for the devious ways of scrap men.... I remember what the police sergeant in Padiham said to me while we were discussing how stupid a very prominent scrap dealer from Blackburn was to imagine he could get away with stealing a 35 ton boiler from Jubilee engine house. He said"Once a scrap dealer, always a scrap dealer, they're a different breed!" From my experience he was right....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Nolic

Post by Nolic »

I wonder if the US Government will have a more effective and immediate response to the havoc and distress caused by Sandy than they did with the effects of Katrina in the Deep South? Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Doubt it Nolic there doesn't seem to be one government in the world that knows what they are doing. Too many Chiefs not enough Indians. What attracted my attention today found a clock which hadn't been changed so up earlier than intended. Eileen
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Comrade, I'm sure that Obama is doing everything he can to get government aid in, he told Government employees yesterday to throw away the bureaucratic responses and concentrate on getting resources to where they were needed as fast as possible. He knows that the electorate are making a comparison with how Dubya mishandled Katrina. They've got a hell of a problem in NY City, road and subway tunnels flooded and it isn't simply a matter of pumping them out, think of the debris that's washed down there and the effect on the electrical equipment. Many large cities situated on a seaboard or subject to tidal surge are going to have the same problems, including London where they know they are going to have to upgrade the Thames Barrier and the embankment walls. Lots to be said for living at 550ft above sea level and on the watershed!
Heard a nice thing, combination of ultra sound scanning and 3D printing so blind parents can 'see' the foetus. It's happening now in Rio de Janeiro.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Nolic

Post by Nolic »

My question was rhetorical as I knew that Obama would respond differently to the Bush administration as it took them weeks to get any real effective aid together and the federal government are already on their toes. Obama is even being praised by one of his fiercest critics in the form of the governor of New Jersey. Meanwhile Wilbur Romney ( his real name) has re-commenced campaigning after his break of .....a few hours. Could this be the real making of Obama?It couldn't have come at a better time. Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Monday actually, but it has taken sometime to recover from the single Malt that the dog owner brought along to The Fountain.

Carol et al run a top class place. Food was excellent, and the beer was enjoyed :cool4:
whitbycolin

Post by whitbycolin »

Stanley wrote:Best coverage I've ever seen of the Rohilla wreck. The rest of the programme was good as well but I wish someone would take Nick Crane on one side and tell him that talking slowly and portentously doesn't make him sound any better!
I was the primary contact with the BBC and spent five and half month answering their many e-mail, telephone calls. When it all boiled down to two days filiming I was disapointed, but given the amount of air time available I think they did a decent job. I am biased but believe they could have easily made a one off hour long special on the Rohilla. :exclaim:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Colin, always the case I'm afraid. Mind you, they have to take note of the interests and attention spans of a lot of people!
I note that Savile's estate has been frozen as the bank expects claims for damages against the estimated £4million.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Last night, walking Merlin through Valley gardens, came upon 2 youths trying to set light to the swings

I asked them to stop they sniggered.

Photo on my phone is a little black, but I tweeted it at the police

They followed me up onto Church street and in front of One Stop whilst hooded one said "I'll do what I want"

Fortunately Joyce and Ian Holgate were at the Yorkshire Bank putting up the chrimbals trees so I called to them and the pair made off.

If you know the parents...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Post it on the site, someone may recognise them. We have the most powerful community tool there is.
Leonard Rossiter mentioned in connection with the Savile case investigations. The man who accused a Tory politician of abuse is seeking a meeting with David Cameron....
I see the parents of the poor little girl at Machynlleth thanked all who had helped search for her. As far as I know she hasn't been found. Terrible.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

The portal page seems to have the 2012 photo competion winners showing on it. And very worthy the images look too.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Whyperion wrote:The portal page seems to have the 2012 photo competion winners showing on it. And very worthy the images look too.
:thumbsup3:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A man called Prof Clayton Christiansen of Harvard on World Service talking about innovation. Well worth seeking out and listening to if you like to hear someone who knows his subject talking about surprising conclusions. Just one of his thoughts was that the reason why the US car industry failed was because it looked only at the profit line. Have a look at http://www.claytonchristensen.com/
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Thomo

Post by Thomo »

It would appear that we have had "Night Visitors" on the property overnight. At 11.30 last night both front and rear gates were shut, at 6.30 this morning, both were wide open, nothing seems to have been damaged or taken, but it is still a worry. There is a CCTV camera across from the front gate, probably not operating, our security lights would have been activated!!

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”