JEPP HILL

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

JEPP HILL

Post by Stanley »

JEPP HILL

I talked to Eric Parker today [21/02/2005] and asked him about the buildings on Jepp Hill. He says that the buildings which used to be at the foot of Jepp Hill on the site where the car park is now opposite the Cross Keys and next to Taylforth’s was a three storey building with a shop in the bottom and a cottage [or two?] on top. The shop was at one time a clogger’s but later in the 1930s was Martins plumbers. When they moved to Butts Top the shop became a lady’s hairdressers, he thinks she was called ‘Lettie’ [short for Leticia?] The buildings below the Cross Keys facing Lamb Hill which were demolished to widen the bend were cottages and Catlow’s barber’s shop. The building opposite these cottages with the ornate pediment over the window was Holmes’ pie shop. The shop between that and the Seven Stars used to be the Council Surveyor’s office at one time. There was another cottage round the corner at the top of Lamb Hill but this was demolished.

SCG/21 February 2005
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
HeatherG

Re: JEPP HILL

Post by HeatherG »

Do you know how the house numbers run/ran on Jepp Hill. My ancestors were William & Betty Boothman who lived at 67 Gep (sic) Hill in 1851 and then in Church Street (no number given) in 1861 and 1871. The were 'grocers and ironmongers' so presumably lived above the shop there. It may even have been that corner shop - on the corner of Gep Hill and Church Street and falling under one address in 1841 and the other thereafter.

I do not know Barnoldswick (although I think I may have visited as a child) so it is amazing to be able to use Goggle Street view to wander around there and see where they lived. I'll bet the cobbles in Jepp Hill are the same ones they walked on!
elise

Post by elise »

Jepp is derived from the name Geoffrey.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I think 67 is the number on the schedule rather than the house number Heather. Looking at the 1851 census the properties on Gep Hill go from 36 to 73.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Certainly too high a number for house numbers on Jepp Hill.
Thanks Elise, I didn't know that.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

HeatherG

Post by HeatherG »

Of course, silly me, I should have seen they were schedule numbers.

Who was the 'Geoffrey' that Gepp Hill was named after?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

God knows. Saxon name so it could be too old to identify. Just think, we could have been Jeppswick if the commissioners constructing the Domesday had got to him first and not Bernulf!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Research Topics”