BARLICK WAR MEMORIAL GROUP, REVEILLE.

Thomo

BARLICK WAR MEMORIAL GROUP, REVEILLE.

Post by Thomo »

Feeling that the original topic was becoming stale, I have decided to try and revive it using a different and more practical approach to achieving what we set out to do in the first place. During the past three weeks many things have happened, and as a result, the spin off from this work, the book, has had to be put on hold, this is worrying as I have a deadline to meet. There is also another deadline however, and this concerns the War Memorial re-dedication. In order to obtain a satisfactory outcome there are several obstacles to overcome. The target date of 28-07-2013 is now 135 days away, this target date is still flexible for several reasons, 1. the involvement of the Military if possible. 2. can the stonemason deliver on time, and 3. will the funding be in place? Its a bit like trying to plait fog and there is much to do, So lets look at these 3 problems: The stonemason cannot complete his work without a date for the re-dedication stone, and I need to speak with him to ensure that all else is correct, we also need a price and despite e/mails to the stonemason, this is not forthcoming, I am going to ring him and get him down here! The Military involment, The Yorkshire Regiment is the obvious first choice, and having approached them through the system, I am disappointed that there has been no reply, I will take this further, going over the heads of the civilian staff if I have to. This is plan "A", if that fails I will go elsewhere having already thought out plans "B" & "C". I have always been a patient Man, but my time in the Royal Navy taught me that when something needs to be done, it need to be done ASAP. The funding is out of my hands but I have confidence that this will not be a major problem.

On this note I would like to publicly thank:- Councillor David Whipp for the work that he has done on our behalf. Chris Foster and John Richardson of the website CPGW, and Colin Brittain of Whitby for his interest and enthusiasm towards what we are about. I also now wish to greet our newest member:- Ann Marie Benford, current chair of the Barnoldswick Branch of the Royal British Legion, who has offered her support and any assistance towards our cause. And the "Barlick in Bloom Group" for their efforts to lift the Memorial site. In regard to the ongoing research, I suggest that we go with what we now have, if any more names come to light, then there is space built into the original design for addition at a later date. It is time to get this "Show" on the road! Details of plans B & C will follow shortly.
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
Thomo

Re: BARLICK WAR MEMORIAL GROUP, REVEILLE.

Post by Thomo »

I have mailed Scott Flaving at Halifax and asked if he can point my efforts in the right direction, I will also be mailing Major Heron again. I believe that we have to set a timeline for this and I think that if we have not made any progress by Easter, then I will start work on Plan "B". In Yorkshire there are several options for the Army, Catterick, Ripon (due to close in the next 2 years) and the AFC at Harrogate. In Lancashire there is only Fulwood at Preston, currently the home of 5 Medical Regiment. All of these are Army Bases, which would be the obvious choice as the majority of the Men named On the Memorial were Soldiers. However this still leaves several options if we think of the RAF. The Royal Navy or Marines are all at a fair distance from here, but in the past I have found them to be most approachable, I would value your thoughts on this. The target date: if we look at the 28th of July as a focal point, and work towards a feasible time zone, we could have the month before and two months after giving us a three month period during which we may have better weather, this would benefit all. If the Military attendance idea fails, we then go to Plan "C", Invite Cadets groups, The Royal British Legion, Scouts and Guides etc, from the neighbouring areas. The Miltary Wives Choir would be a nice touch as well!! The perfect scenario would be the Soldiers, the lifeboat William Riley and the Choir all together for the re-dedication, its a big "Ask" but if you don't ask, you don't get!!
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Earlier when I mailed Scott Flaving, I attached 2 pics of the Dukes, one when they were assembled on Station Rd, prior to going to War in 1915, and one of the Victory Parade in 1919, this was to be the last Military Parade in the Town 94 years ago. I have just received a reply, thanking me for the pics and stating that when he is back in his office on Monday, he will see what he can do to help. So, we have Colin Brittain in Whitby, Scott Flaving in Halifax, and Chris Foster in Hebden, plus John Richardson at Threshfield and here in Barlick, David Whipp. Where is the Barlick History Society etc, surely they must be interested, mind you having rung, spoken with and mailed several of their members, I have always drawn a blank. Its a tad worrying!
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

The pics that I sent to Scott were as follows:- 1. Duke of Wellingtons Reservists assembled on Station Rd in 1915, prior to embarking on a train to go to War, about 50 men in the pic. 2. The "Dukes" behind their mounted Officer on Park Ave, in the 1919 Victory Parade. Yesterday evening I sent him No.3, a copy of an original that we have, this shows the Naval Detachment entering Frank St. ahead of the Dukes. My Father and my Sisters Father in Law to be are with the Sailors. Scotts comment this morning "That parade will be hard to match", we can but try!

Thomo

Post by Thomo »

I have just been having a look at the Military Wives website:- www.militarywiveschoir.com Well worth a visit!!
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

This has just arrived from Scott Flaving:-

Peter,

I have forwarded your e-mail to the Regimental Secretary of the Yorkshire Regiment, which now looks after the 'Dukes' heritage and history. He is absent on duty until the 26th March, but he may be able to see the e-mail while on his travels.

Thanks for the information.

Scott.
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Thank you Peter for your continued efforts on the War Memorial.

The new planting in the grounds of the memorial is due to take place on the 4th/5th April with a 10am start. (I suppose this is subject to being free of snow drifts.)

The planting is being done as a Community Action Day(s) by the Barlick in Bloom group. Volunteers are welcome to come along and lend a hand.
whitbycolin

Post by whitbycolin »

Peter,

First of all may I thank you for the photograph you have above, it is one I have amongst my collection and I have in the past often wondered as to its location and its 'meaning' I don't know why I haven't posted on the website asking if anyone knew anything about it, just one query though which is it ;
No. 2. The "Dukes" behind their mounted Officer on Park Ave, in the 1919 Victory Parade
No.3, The Naval Detachment entering Frank St. ahead of the Dukes.

Once you confirm which one it is I will write neatly on the back of the photograph so I won't get it mixed up again.

We are confident that we can arrange for the former Upgang lifeboat William Riley to be present in the town this year, hopefully as part of the rededication of the memorial.

All the Best

Colin Brittain :cool4:
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Hi Colin, its the one of the Naval detachment entering Frank St ahead of the Dukes. I am still waiting for some response from the Military, also the stonemason, in the case of the latter, he "will" be getting a call shortly, after which if he doesn't get his finger out and come up with a price, he will lose it to someone else. Tempus is fugiting at great speed.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Arriving at June 1918 in the book work yesterday, I found another name that is not on the War Memorial:- "Private Edmund Taylor 81543 of the Durham Light Infantry" Born in 1899 on Crowfoot Row he was the first son of Joseph and Annie Taylor, he was also one of a number of 18 year olds that died in that part of 1918. It is possible that his name is on the Memorial in Nelson as that was where his family were at the time of his death. When I started the research for missing names I set three criteria; 1. Born and with a home in Barlick at time of death. 2. Born elsewhere but with a home in Barlick at time of death. 3. Born in Barlick but later with a home elsewhere, using this yardstick Edmund will now be added to the list, making a current total of 35 from WW1. I also had a very nice mail this morning from our newest member, the current "chair" of the RBL, very pleased with what we are about and the way in which the Memorial is being re-stuctured. Thank you all.
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Because of the temperature and conditions, the Barlick in Bloom group has put back the new planting in the memorial area to the 10th and 11th of April. Again, a 10am start. Volunteers welcome for this community planting project!
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Having tried to contact Shaun Bradley many times, I have sent a request mail for him to contact me ASAP. If this doesn't happen within the next 7 days I propose to go elsewhere for the work, we need a price. I would have much preferred to keep the work local, but now feel inclined to follow what the local funeral firms do and ask in Clitheroe. There has been no response from the military as yet either, so I may shift to plan "B" if none is forthcoming soon. As an "Old fashioned Navy Man" I find the lack of response not simply irritating but downright disappointing. I can keep a lid on this, but it is only a matter of time before that lid lifts!!!!!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Unusual for Shaun not to get in touch Thomo. I would have thought he would have jumped at the chance to do these additions to our memorial.
The War Memorials Trust recommends that two estimates are obtained for any work to be carried out. I think this will be necessary for any funding from the Town or Borough Council anyway.
The main proviso being that any additions are carried out in the same style as the existing lettering on the memorial.

We used Windles for Dan's funeral arrangements and were recommended to use Thomas Rock at Clitheroe for the small stone for the crematoria area of the churchyard at Ghyll. They made an excellent job of it, I will PM the contact details I have.
Ian
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Many thanks for that Ian, the contact details that you have sent me are the same as the ones provided by Helliwells yesterday. It would also appear now that all three Funeral businesses in Barlick use Thomas Rock, and that sends a clear message. In view of this I am going to contact Michael at Thomas Rock today, send them the details of what is required, and arrange a meeting. If a second estimate is required, Helliwells also recommended a firm in Burnley. BT did a search for me yesterday to see if Shaun had another number, they came back with the one that I have. Next job is to dig out all of the stuff required and update it.
Last edited by Thomo on 03 Apr 2013, 10:29, edited 1 time in total.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Thats it then. I have had a mail from David which included a mail from Shaun, he has ceased trading, it would have been nice if he had let me know himself!!
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

It has taken six months to arrive back at square one, I have pulled the info required for a fresh start and updated it to include the two extra names, and I have also removed a typo from the Rohilla Panel, here are the updated graphics:-

Now to contact Thomas Rock!
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Things are not going well here today, besides the latest developments on here I have just detected an attack on the PC via e/mail, all work is now saved to HD 2 and I am commencing a re-boot, add to this, our recently arrived little cat "Rosie" is showing signs of going into labour. Time to press the button and draw a "Double Tot"!!!
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Re-build of the PC now under way, Rosie gave birth to her 1st Kitten 30mins ago and has just produced a second, both black and white. PC is downloading all updates, but in the midst of a much confused day there is some way to go yet!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Thomo, just a small point about the layout and only about the ordering / mounting. Assuming that the First World War names will be on the left of the new entrance. The right of the entrance should have the Rohilla panel on the left, 39 - 45 in the middle and the dedication panel on the right. I feel this would flow better with the Rohilla disaster being the same conflict as the names on the left hand side of the entrance. The dedication would then be outermost.
Ian
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Hi Ian, the idea is that the WW1 names would be on the right hand, or East side, and the dedication panel, WW2 names and Rohilla panels on the left hand or West side. At this stage all is interchangeable and whichever way it is done would only have an impact on the two centre panels with the headings above them. Whatever the outcome, it would be as well to know any preferences as soon as is possible, this has to be done right and I value all of your comments. Thank you, Thomo.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

My thinking is based on that we read from left to right, so if we follow this through to date order WWI panels would be on the left followed by WWII on right and dedication on the far right. All the names are already alphabetically sorted from top to bottom and left to right so this layout would just follow the form through. Rohilla would then not look as if it occurred after WWII.
Ian
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Thats fine by me Ian. Yesterday wasn't a good day for thinking straight, dumped on by Shaun and trying to find a good replacement, re-structuring the PC and acting as midwife to a pregnant cat, this morning I feel like the "Wreck of the Hesperus". There was nil response from Thomas Rock, but this morning my Butcher in Fouridge recommended Clive Stockdale at Trawden, we will see what today brings.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I was on the road most of the day yesterday but got the drift before I set off that you were going to be a bit busy. Good news on the cat front Thomo, following in the other thread. I think a lot of the monumental masons are small firms with one or two operatives only, they were very efficient when we used them. A couple of weeks lead time and then waiting for a bit better weather for installation of the stone at Ghyll. They rang us on completion before presenting the account. Have you tried the email address I sent or just the phone?
Ian
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Thanks Ian. I rang them and left a message to expect an e/mail, this was returned courtesy of mail deamon! hence the re-boot (email address does not exist). I will try again today after changing the layout at your suggestion.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

What was the East Panel (WW1) is now the West Panel. What was the West Panel is now the East Panel and modified as Ian suggested:-

Return to “Local History Topics”