WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Nolic

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Nolic »

I used to have very neat handwriting that received frequent compliments. I think we have become so used to writing via keyboards now that our handwriting skills have deteriorated - mine certainly have. However I still use a Waterman's fountain pen whenever I can.

On the subject of cataracts Cath's mum followed the same procedure and arrangements at Gisburne Park as Ian's mum in law with same positive results. Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Music to my ears Comrade. Nice that everyone seems to have a positive view of Abbey.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

A bit of advice for anyone buying or selling a house...find a local, well-established solicitor and don't get seduced into using one of the new companies offering what they claim is cheap conveyancing. Avoid them like the plague! We've twice been messed up by them and yet they are no cheaper than a good solicitor. These companies are more like call centres than solicitors and they're causing a lot of problems for buyers & sellers and for estate agents and `proper' solicitors.

When we were selling my dad's house we decided to give the Co-op conveyancing service a try but it didn't even get beyond the first stage of registering with them. First, it turned out it wasn't the Co-op doing the work but a sub-contracted conveyancing company hiding behind the Co-op name, what's known in the trade as a `bucket-shop conveyancer' or `conveyancing factory'. Second, it took them ages to respond to us. And third, when they did respond they didn't keep the Co-op's promise that the customer will always deal with the same member of staff. We ditched them immediately, complained to the Co-op and went to a local solicitor (who was no more expensive than the bucket-shop).

Now there are lots of these companies popping up - for example we received a flyer from Saga yesterday touting their service. It's a great cunning wheeze for companies to boost their trade, e.g. Saga offers to insure you against a breakdown in the transaction. Some of the chain estate agents have such services too and they like to rope you in so that they get all your money instead of letting you go elsewhere for other services. Right now we are at the last stage of selling my dad's house and the 4-house chain is held up because the first-time buyer's deposit has been `lost' at the bucket-shop conveyancer, probably by disappearing into one of their many accounts. They don't seem to care and haven't hurried to sort out the problem. You have been warned!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

reply from Pendle about Foster's Arms signs:
We've looked into this and even though this notice isnt from the council, it is legal. This does relate to private land
Bruff
Avid User

Post by Bruff »

Apparently, yesterday was the 100th anniversary of the establishment of the Medical Research Council or MRC. It's funding has led to shed loads of Nobel Prizes (twenty nine!); MRI; penicillin; the structure of DNA; the link between smoking and lung cancer; monoclonal antibodies. On and on and on it goes and not the one researcher 'worth' a banker's bonus.......

A jewel in this Nation's scientific crown.

Richard Broughton
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Does it get worse for the CQC? The ex-chair and one other officer refused to give evidence to the police enquiry into Morecambe deaths. email evidence unearthed by the BBC

On #WATO there was concern expressed that the problem with CQC was the way that it was set up without any actual 'expert' content when Alan Milburn got rid of the predecessor inspection regime

Of more concern was Hunt's admission that he couldn't guarantee that the CQC was actually robust enough to guarantee their inspections. He answered 'no' to the direct question.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

The Red Arrows doing a fly past at about 7.15 this evening....heard a big noise and popped outside just in time to see them heading north over Pinhaw.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Some of the most entertaining book revues are the ones where the critic goes for the throat of the author. I particularly like them when it is two academics. I got the 2012 journal of the English Place names Society yesterday and can tell you that a gentleman called Anthony Poulton-Smith would not be happy when he read the revue of his 'Gloucestershire Place Names' and Hampshire Place Names' written by Richard Coates of the University of the West of England at Bristol. It is a classic of the genre! Not so much a revue as an assassination. A few examples: "The entries are generally quite unhelpful". "The commentary on Bagpath ...... is a careless and uncomprehending garble...". "Was it too much trouble to consult the OS or the wealth of material available on line?"
And so it goes on, definitely one of the most entertaining revues I have ever read!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

Woke up this morning with back pain. Cause of this discomfort a day out fishing, the opportunity to fish a small pond on farm land in Cheshire was jumped at. The expected catch was small Rudd roach and perch, the tackle I used was selected for this purpose. First fish to be tempted was a rudd almost 1lb, followed by a Chub of 4 and 3/4 lb. when the float disappeared for the third time I was attached to an express train, this Fish took me on a complete tour of the pond,and never showed it self,close to five minutes later I had it back at my end of the pond, where it just swam left to right. At this point I start to think I am winning, and begin to take charge, again the fish charged off,nearly taking me with it. Probably ten minutes after first contact I slid a 16.5 lb Mirror Carp into the net, it only just fit 25 inch nose to tail. At the end of the day my count was 47 large Rudd the afore mentioned fish and a further 6 Carp averaging 8 lb. A very busy session I returned home with my lunch uneaten, and a packet of boiled sweets unopened, definitely a red letter day. Bottle of Scotch for the farmer, that I may be allowed back.
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

The Foster's bus circle made the Lancashire Telegraph.

Lancashire County Council appear to be saying that they need to look for alternatives and stop present services, after August.

LCC haven't yet answered the question about who negoitiated the long lease on the turning circle, with the renewal periods, and obviously put the caveat in about allowing the deal to be given up by either part by serving notice.

Also notice that it isn't on the published agenda for the Town Council meeting on Wednesday. Can't understand why not
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shared the review with some of my mates and got this reply: "Perhaps you've seen this in today's Guardian. I know you admire Diarmaid MacCulloch, but probably not Roger Scruton, right-wing High Anglican philosopher. Scruton has just published a book called Our Church: A Personal History of the Church of England. DM is not entirely critical, but this is part of his review: 'Over four decades of teaching undergraduates, I have been fortunate rarely to read an essay on church history so bad: it's Sellars and Yeatman without the jokes. This is a common problem with philosophers. I will not weary the reader by cataloguing howlers and solecisms, but would be pleased to furnish a list to Prof Scruton, should he so desire'."
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Just learned from Facebook that Helen Macfarlane who translated the Communist Manifesto from German to English lived in Burnley. Nolic
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Start 'em young. My 16 month old grandaughter Charlotte.
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Here's the next stage......My grandson. Age - not sure, but no more than three.
Last edited by Tripps on 24 Jun 2013, 09:52, edited 1 time in total.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

The plans to build a Velodrome in Barlick on part of the Calf Hall site now occupied by Hope Technology. Reading the press write up, this is no cack handed proposal either, and it appears to have been well thought out, right down to the cost. There are only six other Velodromes in the country, and the possibility that we could have one here is what I would call inspired, and on a "Brownfield" location. This is something that I would really like to see happen, and I wish the very best of luck to the project, a damn good idea.
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Comrade, I have come across that name and have an idea there is a connection between her and Bessie Dickinson....
Pluggy, those pics could come under the heading of child cruelty! (Not really, aren't kids great!)
Peter Francis, police under cover agent admitting he was tasked to find evidence to smear the Laurence family after the death of their son and when the police were under attack for mis-handling the case.
Nelson Mandela. We could be looking at the last days of a great man. I think the way the SA government is handling it is superb, nobody trying to make capital out of him by association. Just straightforward honest reporting and very supportive of the family.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Leader of the BMA speaking some sense over CQC and saying that there should not be another overhaul and to let the changes in management and structure bed in. Given that there have been 4 major re-organisations of the regulation body in 11 years that's a bit of sense in the who debacle. Nolic
EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

How incredible sunshine makes you feel. Eileen
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Tardis wrote:The Foster's bus circle ....

Also notice that it isn't on the published agenda for the Town Council meeting on Wednesday. Can't understand why not
The planning application has been considered by the town council planning committee and included in the report going to Wednesday's meeting. (The TC planning ctte object because of the implications for public transport.) As posted elsewhere, the planning application is due to be considered at the area committee next week.
Thomo wrote:The plans to build a Velodrome in Barlick on part of the Calf Hall
As soon as the papers came out, I had nearby residents contacting me about the proposal.

I went in to Hope on Friday morning to look at the latest plans. These show a velodrome track shaped building built into the rising ground at the end of Calf Hall Mill towards Pickles Hippings and Calf Hall Lane (the area where there's been extensive tipping in the past). At the mill end of the building, an undercroft is proposed which would be the site of the company's research and development section. The building would be 50m wide x 90m long (with the corners rounded off). Native woodland would be planted between the building and Calf Hall Lane, Pickles Hippings and the elevation facing Westgate. The stream would be culverted underneath the building. The principle use of the facility would be as a test track for the company. Hope would also intend making it available to cycling clubs outside working hours. There isn't any spectator seating. The track might accommodate 20 to 30 users an hour.

Hope intend inviting nearby residents in to look at the proposals.
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

David Whipp wrote:
Tardis wrote:The Foster's bus circle ....

The planning application has been considered by the town council planning committee and included in the report going to Wednesday's meeting. (The TC planning ctte object because of the implications for public transport.) As posted elsewhere, the planning application is due to be considered at the area committee next week.
Those will be the BTC meetings where the public weren't invited, as nothing was posted on the town notice boards?
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Tardis wrote:Those will be the BTC meetings where the public weren't invited, as nothing was posted on the town notice boards?
Not correct, Mike. The agendas were in the notice board; I saw them myself. The clerk confirms he put them up as required.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Shortly after 0100 this morning, another page in my year book of life turned. Whilst having a midday double tot today, I was thinking of some of the places I have been in on the 24th of June. In 1942 I was with my family in Blackpool, staying with Uncle Fred and Aunty Eda Pickles at No.1 Marina avenue, a house they rented from a Miss Norma Sykes (Sabrina), on that day I came face to face with a large Lady who lived across the avenue at the Bloomfield Hotel, Tessie o' Shea. We used to go to Blackpool every year for two weeks and always saw a number of shows, some of the names I recall are:- Norman Wisdom, Ben Wrigley, the Ben Yost Royal Guard, Jimmy Jewel and Ben Warris, Joseph Locke, and Johnny Ray. The Tower Circus was visited each time we went, Charlie Carroli I will never forget. In 1961 the evening was spent at the "Jazz Club" at Thornton Manor where after standing in for the Drummer, Malc Foster, and then the base player, whilst they danced with their wives, I spent the rest of the evening dancing with a very pretty nurse from Sabden, in the cold grey light of day on the following Saturday at Sabden, the magic departed, and so did I, courtesy of AJS 350! In 1974 I was at Gibralter, and on the 24th, following a monumental "Run Ashore" I was fast asleep in my pit, when I eventually surfaced I was in Tangier, my mess mates had booked a boat and had transported me still hard asleep down to the boat and across the straits, after another good run, the inevitable hangover was horrendous. In 1994 I was touring the South of England with the girl that I had gone out with prior to marrying my first Wife, on the 23rd we arrived in Southsea Hampshire, and on the 24th we went into Portsmouth and into the Dockyard to visit HMS Victory, this unknown to my ladyfriend had been pre-planned, and in my pocket was an engagement ring made by Mr Huppach to my design here in Barlick. After the tour of the ship, and before leaving we were approached by a Chief Petty Officer who feigned recognition with the following "Thomo, nice to see you again after all these years, come and have a wet in the mess" The mess in question was Lord Nelsons Cabin Annex, then used as the CPO's Mess, after being issued with drinks my fake friend asked if I had anything to say to the Lady, the proposal was made and said ring produced, the CPO's gave her a big bunch of flowers and we had a right good old fashioned session, As Nelson would have said "Went the day well" One year later on the same date, we were married here in Barlick at the Baptist Church. Much has happened since this day in 1940, but the one thing that stands out is that I am as yet still here, and extremely gratefull for that fact.
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Stanley wrote: Pluggy, those pics could come under the heading of child cruelty! (Not really, aren't kids great!)
I wasn't around when it was taken, apparently she climbed up on to the chair herself ( something she's been doing of late) and granny took the picture while she was sat there.
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

I have a friend who lives at the house nearest to Hope Mill who is disturbed by the noise the place makes, I haven't seen him since the plans for the Velodrome came out, he wasn't wild by the proposed outdoor mountain bike track that preceeded it. No doubt he'll have something to say.....
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

David Whipp wrote:
Tardis wrote:Those will be the BTC meetings where the public weren't invited, as nothing was posted on the town notice boards?
Not correct, Mike. The agendas were in the notice board; I saw them myself. The clerk confirms he put them up as required.
:surprised:

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”