WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

hartley353

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by hartley353 »

Stanley wrote:It's called peer revue and is based on the principle that no hypothesis is worth a candle unless it has been tested to destruction. This is the only test and hints about secrets can be discarded until this happens.
Nelson Mandela is 95 today and still fighting!
Codswallop, this certainly does not apply to this information.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

My attention was caught by Yorkshire Water. They want over £100 to come and do an estimate for a new connection, the potential cost of the work could be 10 times that. They even said they may have to charge me for traffic management on the backstreet as the bin wagon comes on a Tuesday. I did suggest they not do the job on a Tuesday. This was met with silence...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

They're all money mad Kev.
What grabbed me was how hot it was last night, not often I have trouble sleeping.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Builders starting work at 07.30am in a residential area when the time should be not before 08.00 hours. Like Stanley I hadn't slept well and was going to have a lie in. Eileen
PostmanPete
Regular User

Post by PostmanPete »

Big Kev wrote:My attention was caught by Yorkshire Water. They want over £100 to come and do an estimate for a new connection, the potential cost of the work could be 10 times that. They even said they may have to charge me for traffic management on the backstreet as the bin wagon comes on a Tuesday. I did suggest they not do the job on a Tuesday. This was met with silence...
Are you getting too low a pressure Kev? If so, they have to do the job free of charge as they have a requirement to supply a certain pressure. We discovered that when they did ours when we lived round the corner from you on Park Road. We were originally connected to the supply from Park Hill on the front street but the pressure wouldn't run a new shower that we had fitted so they had to dig the road up all the way to our back street where the higher pressure supply from Whitemoor ran..!
"Always carry a large flagon of whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
W.C. Fields (1880-1946)
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

The Canal and River's Trust newsletter mentions Leeds and Liverpool restrictions through Barnoldswick:

http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and- ... 1-77842545
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The combination of cooler air and a slight breeze last night that cooled the house down nicely and enabled me to have a good sleep. Enjoyed the Open at Muirfield, the dry links course is testing even the most experienced golfers.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Wendy, I came across this pic this morning and am not sure if I ever gave it to you. Mrs Metcalfe and her son at Brown Hill in 1957. Hard to realise it was almost 60 years ago.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I haven't seen that before Stanley, thanks!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Kev, OFWAT's information on this web page back's up what Pete says:
http://www.ofwat.gov.uk/mediacentre/inf ... f_pressure
Also, more here at the Consumer Council for Water's web site:
http://www.ccwater.org.uk/server.php?sh ... ebDoc.1807
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Anyone travelling through Colne towards the M65 can hardly miss the wood and rope structure that has been erected near the Leisure centre. Its correct name is Urban Altitude and is the latest leisure facility for the Pendle area. Whatever one may think about its appearance it does add a new dimension to the activities and I wish it every success. Unfortunately, There are no concessionary discounts available. So any pensioner hoping for a stimulating rush of adrenaline or for that matter a means of ending it all will have to pay the full amount.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Our government announced future measures that will be undertaken to stop the influx of "boat-people" who are arriving more frequently and in larger numbers than they ever did before. Most are not true refugees, just queue jumpers. Indonesia turns a blind eye and it often goes that someone from the unseaworthy boat phones our coastguard to rescue these people as soon as they are six feet out of Indonesian Waters! Our Navy is expected to save them before they sink and there is loss of life.
Currently processed on Christmas Island ( with women and children often being housed on our mainland in an effort to make things more humane)...there are often long waits at Nauru because these people do not bring papers and bonafides must be established. Most are found to be illegal immigrants, not true refugees. ( strange how many boats of fit young men turn up without women or families)
This will no longer happen. They will be processed in New Guinea and not step foot on Australian soil.
So what happened once the news was announced?
SIXTY MILLION DOLLARS worth of damage done by rioting at Nauru...by boat people waiting to be processed. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you!
So many of us would like to put them on the first plane home...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The light drizzle at 04:30 this morning. Following Wendy's request I did the rain dance last night after shaving my head......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Very grateful Stanley....please keep dancing!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The roof over our bedrooms is being replaced, so we're watching the weather carefully. The old felt and ancient roman tiles are being replaced by modern membrane and new concrete roman tiles, plus new wood battens and protective treatment of the other timbers. The work began on Monday, was planned to be finished by Friday but we ran into problems at the last minute - the cloaked verge tiles were not easy to fit due to the gable walls of our house not being truly 90 degrees to the side walls (it's the old 1800s cottage part of the house and would have originally had a thatched roof, which had more tolerance to varying angles). The builder is very good and he found a way around it but couldn't avoid missing the deadline. So we've got to finish tomorrow and we're keeping our fingers crossed there are no storms overnight. At least the membrane is on and most of the tiles! Here's BBC news about the coming weather...

21 July 2013, 09:30
BBC news web site
Storms expected after temperatures peak early in week
The UK heatwave will hit its highest temperatures on Sunday and Monday, before giving way to thunderstorms and potential flooding, forecasters say. Temperatures are forecast to reach 30C (86F) again on Sunday and as high as 34C (93F) on Monday in some parts of the country. But from Monday evening through to Wednesday increased humidity will cause thunderstorms and risks of flooding.

The Met Office has issued a 24-hour rain warning for Tuesday. The yellow alert covers all of Wales and all but the far north of England, and warns people to be aware that there may be disruptive storms. A Met Office spokeswoman said large amounts of rainfall coming down in short periods on to dry ground could lead to localised flooding.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23393858
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

Great post Marilyn, this is a world wide problem,and a financial disaster to the nations who are plagued by this. All countries which are considered to be lands of milk and honey, have had a long and painful progress to reach this status. Most have a policy of welcoming incomers who have some thing to offer. But no nation should have to suffer the invasion of Dross from all over our planet. The majority of these people would not have made the trip without the intervention of people traffickers, and it is to these criminals our joint efforts should be aimed. Stop it at its source the people who travel have paid a great deal, and when returned they are still facing their debt.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PostmanPete wrote:
Big Kev wrote:My attention was caught by Yorkshire Water. They want over £100 to come and do an estimate for a new connection, the potential cost of the work could be 10 times that. They even said they may have to charge me for traffic management on the backstreet as the bin wagon comes on a Tuesday. I did suggest they not do the job on a Tuesday. This was met with silence...
Are you getting too low a pressure Kev? If so, they have to do the job free of charge as they have a requirement to supply a certain pressure. We discovered that when they did ours when we lived round the corner from you on Park Road. We were originally connected to the supply from Park Hill on the front street but the pressure wouldn't run a new shower that we had fitted so they had to dig the road up all the way to our back street where the higher pressure supply from Whitemoor ran..!
I wish it was as simple as low pressure. I'm on a branch from the house next door, YW are only responsible for the supply to the back gate. As my supply is branched from next door YW only had to provide a supply to next door.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Don't YW have a responsibility to supply you directly with a supply if you are paying for it?
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote:Don't YW have a responsibility to supply you directly with a supply if you are paying for it?
Unfortunately not, Ian. Their responsibility stops at the boundary and, even though shared with next door, I have a supply. They have me over a barrel.

My brother-in-law had exactly the same thing 6 months ago, £790 + VAT to connect him to the new main in the back street. They (YW) put barriers and Road Closed signs up on the back street for 7 days, this back street serves 8 houses and is a dead end.

The back street at my property gives access to the rear of Park St, Park Rd and Moseley St and the bin wagon requires access on a Tuesday...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PostmanPete
Regular User

Post by PostmanPete »

Could you get round it Kev by asking them to fit a meter? They would then be forced to give you your own supply I would think, and you would probably end up paying roughly the same each year as you do now without the expense of a new connection.
"Always carry a large flagon of whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
W.C. Fields (1880-1946)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

What a good idea! Well worth trying it Kev.
Tiz, the worst of the rain appears to be further north than you if indeed it happens.... Same conditions caused the July 1932 flood in Barlick.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PostmanPete wrote:Could you get round it Kev by asking them to fit a meter? They would then be forced to give you your own supply I would think, and you would probably end up paying roughly the same each year as you do now without the expense of a new connection.
I did consider this but; "If, when we survey your property, we can't fit a meter or the installation would involve a lot of expense or disruption, we'll contact you to discuss the options available"

Effectively I would still pay for a new connection. They have their customers over a barrel.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The water companies are regional monopolies and unfortunately we can't simply move to a competitor. But if your company refuses to fit a meter you can appeal to Ofwat.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned that Kate has gone into labour... honestly I worry about you lot sometimes.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Kate who?? :wink:

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”