Power Supplies - Foulridge and Trawden in 1934

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Power Supplies - Foulridge and Trawden in 1934

Post by Whyperion »

From another group I hang out with , the question of variances in the types of electricity voltages and systems prior to the introduction of the national grid.

Apparently Foulridge and Trawden had 400, 440 and 450V AC supplies (along with, Lochaber; Norton; Tanfield; and Tantobie).

Would these voltage supplies actually have been listed in the book , but for Pumping Stations for the canal ( I think Norton (West Midlands ? and Tanfield were on canal systems too), rather than domestic supplies ?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Power Supplies - Foulridge and Trawden in 1934

Post by Stanley »

Modern electricity supply is standard, 440v three phase giving 250v single phase. In the very early days electricity supplies varied, I can't lay my hands on it but somewhere I have a book on early tramways which gives an enormous range, some of them DC. By 1934 the standard domestic single phase voltage was 230v and this would be about 400v three phase, both 50 cycles. I suspect that what you have found is the three phase voltage. Barlick was supplied from Keighley in 1929 and was certainly 230v AC single phase for domestic use.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Return to “Local History Topics”