Barrowford and Pendle History site

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Barrowford and Pendle History site

Post by Stanley »

Our friend John Clayton has been busy. Here's a LINK to his new website on Barrowford and Pendle history.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Barrowford and Pendle History site

Post by Wendyf »

The Archaeological survey looks very interesting, just a shame it doesn't cover this area. Do the Ordnance Survey use LIDAR or similar for their mapping now? It would explain why the old field system near me has suddenly appeared on the new Explorer map.
plaques
Donor

Pendle Community Church Barrowford

Post by plaques »

I’m sorry if there is a vagueness to this posting but when you know nowt this is what you get.

Passing through Barrowford I noticed that the current “Pendle Community Church”, Scotland Rd. (adjacent to the College), that the window terminals facing the main road carried two carved heads. See sample attachment.
From my experience of such carvings in Burnley they are generally associated with the major churches, St Peter’s, St Mary’s, St Stephens and St Andrew’s School. Just a few old Wesleyan Chapel Schools also have them eg: Colne Rd. and Lowerhouse Lane. Those on private houses were often owned by members of the Dugdale family of Lowerhouse Mills.
I believe that the Pendle Community Church was originally The Reedyford Wesleyan School. (1887). which would tie in with the Burnley experience. Also I think William Tunstill was a major benefactor but I’m not sure.
The general questions are.
Is there a connection between this Chapel and the Dugdales of Lowerhouse?
Or were the carvings a fashion item of this time period.
Any information would be welcome. .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Plaques I have started some inquiries from Barrowforders and will post any responses I get. Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
plaques
Donor

Pendle Community Church Barrowford

Post by plaques »

Thanks Colin. (normally I can't do anagrams). I've just picked up a couple of books by John A Clayton on Lower / Central Barrowford but haven't had time to digest them yet. I did a full family tree on the Burnley Dugdale's and I know they were instrumental in funding churches and church schools. (the ones with the carved heads). Although I concentrated on the principle family core I could see that there were extended family interests in spinning and weaving throughout this area of Lancashire.
It could be of course that Barrowford used the same builders as the Dugdale's eg: Parker's builders of Burnley.

I would be interest to know if there are any other buildings in the Pendle area with this kind of feature.
Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Plaques I have obtained the following " I used to go to Reedyford Methodist Church until I left the area in 1961. The chapel was on the Nelson side of Pendle Water and the Sunday school on the Barrowford side across from the end of Sandy lane. The Methodists closed down in the early 1970s. In the chapel there was a big brass plaque recording that the church was built by the Tunstall family who lived at Reedyford house, later part of the hospital and now under the M65, I guess. I seem to remember that it was operating as the 'Living Waters' church in the 1980s." Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

This is what I call "insider information". I guess this confirms it was William Tunstill that built the Chapel.
So far the books by John A Clayton don't go into the small detail but suggest that it was proposed to build a "Primitive Methodist Chapel" in 1888. I wonder if the brass plaque still exists?
I've tried to get hold of the "Annals of Barrowford" which may have a bit more detail, but it wasn't available at the Colne library.

Nolic Please thank those who have helped on this subject.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I'm sure I have seen The Annals of Barrowford in Colne library. The Lancashire Libraries catalogue says that they have 3 copies, one for loan and 2 in the reference section. I'm there every Wednesday morning in the local history section, if you can come in then I'll help you to dig a copy out.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Had a quick Google search and found this:-
Link to Annals of Barrowford
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Thanks Wendyf.
Colne library couldn't understand why it was missing. As you know the staff are very helpful and go to great lengths to find what you want. I found the link you mentioned and was in the process of reading it when your posting came through. There is another book by B Moore "History of Wesleyan Methodism in Burnley and East Lancashire" that looks interesting. The trouble is that I'm in danger of being dragged away from the original point of why this Chapel had these particular carvings.

Thanks again to all those who have taken part.
plaques
Donor

Oaklands, Church St Barrowford

Post by plaques »

The Oaklands house was built by John Barrowclough in 1860. However, on the side of Oaklands Lodge there is a plaque (Coat of Arms) that I can't quite understand its relevance. The plaque suggests that John Barrowclough may have been granted the use of Armorial bearings but with my limited knowledge I'm unable to locate it.
Does anyone know if this "Coat of Arms" is official or is it purely a status symbol adopted for effect.

The photo was taken with the kind permission of the owner of Oaklands Lodge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Silverman Hall Nelson.

Not knowing much about the buildings in Nelson I am just a little puzzled by what used to be the Silverman Hall on Pendle St. Built originally as the “Weavers Institute” in 1904 it carries a finial with the lettering very similar to that used by the William Astley breweries. Does anyone know the history behind this building.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

The Lamb Club (Bank Hall) Barrowford.

This is one of the oldest buildings in Barrowford with a date stone of 1696. However, one of the top corner bossage stones has a face carved on it that looks totally out of character with the rest of the building. (see photo) Does anyone know the history or the story behind this particular carving?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A similar style carving on a building on Lamb Hill in Barlick. The style is Medieval and I've always thought this could be a re-used stone from an older building, possibly the nearby Saxon chuch demolished in the 12th century.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Stanley, as you point out there is a distinct similarity between the two carvings. I have seen something similar inside Selby Abbey but on a larger scale. Selby is about as old as we are going to get round here. However, returning to the one at Barrowford I remain sceptical that this is part of the original building. The stone quality is too good in comparison with the rest of the now crumbling structure. But to take your point it could be a transplant from some other equally old building.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

There are similar heads on the stonework of windows in Thornton in Craven church.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Ref "Silverman Hall"

This photo shows the finial on the Lord Nelson Hotel, built 1895. The monogram is virtually identical to that on Silverman Hall suggesting that the William Astley breweries did have some input in the building of Silverman Hall. However, I am still no nearer establishing the true facts.

Return to “Local History Topics”